Cubs Monday Headlines: 2010 is Mercifully Put Down

Chicago Cubs manager Mike Quade (R) argues a call in the ninth inning with home plate umpire Greg Gibson during their MLB National League baseball against the San Diego Padres game in San Diego, California September 27, 2010.  REUTERS/Mike Blake (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BASEBALL)
Even this guy knows I should be manager

The Cubs couldn't manage a win on Sunday, relegating them to fifth place status in the NL Central. Now our attention turns fully to the search for a manager. Mike Quade, how do you feel about your chances to get the job?

"Good, good," he said. "I think I said yesterday maybe the most important thing for me was I feel good because in spite of believing you could do this and in spite of training to do this and everything else, guess what? Now I've got to do it. I've been comfortable doing it. It's exactly what I thought it would be."

Mike Quade still has to be interviewed (!?) as do at least 39 more managerial rejects.

However, Hendry did say he's ready to begin the second phase of the managerial search. This weekend in Houston, Hendry interviewed former Mariners and Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin. Cubs Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg, the manager of the Cubs' Class AAA Iowa farm club, has interviewed, as has former Cleveland manager Eric Wedge.

Other names speculated on are Washington coach Pat Listach and former Seattle manager Don Wakamatsu.

The players were still in "Quade in 2011" campaign mode yesterday.

"I don't think it's a secret that everyone in the clubhouse, speaking on behalf of the rest of the team, we'd really like to see Quade get the job," catcher Koyie Hill said. "He's been through it all, like we have. He related to everybody. I've never seen a manager or a coach get everything out of every single player, he brought it out of everybody. ... It'll play out, but we're pulling for him."

Aramis Ramirez said Quade deserves it.

"I don't know how much better anyone could do than he did, what, 24-13?" Ramirez said. "Especially with the kind of team we had later in the season."

When the lineups were posted yesterday, I caught myself being pissed that Quade was sitting Starlin Castro for the final game. I wondered if he'd been a naughty boy again and was being forced to sit in a corner. But then I heard the real reason and felt bad for questioning Quade (great consonance, right?).

Rookie shortstop Starlin Castro went 2-for-3 Saturday night, and his batting average stood at an even .300.

Cubs manager Mike Quade wanted it to stay that way, so he sat Castro on Sunday.

Quade tries to plan several days ahead with his lineups, and Saturday ended up being key for Castro.

"I said, 'You know what, this kid's going to play, and he's going to have to perform today to get to .300,'" Quade said. "He was feeling the pressure. I absolutely loved watching him, loved watching him perform. I kind of made up my mind if he does this, gets to .300, gets through this game, I don't care if we played 15 innings, he's playing. If he comes out of this at .300, I'm going to stick with my original lineup and let (Darwin) Barney play short today. He earned this thing yesterday, and I thought that was really cool."

And don't expect to see Big Z or Aramis Ramirez anywhere else next year.

"I've never assumed that he (Zambrano) really wanted to go," Hendry said. "He earned the contract he got and I've always assumed he'd be pitching for the Cubs, and I'm glad he's obviously righted the ship and had a really good ending."

Also along those lines, third baseman Aramis Ramirez repeated he'd be back and invoke the opt-out clause in his contract.

"I'll be here next year, yeah," Ramirez said.

Hallelujah--it's over.

So, now we start the process of getting irrationally excited about the 2011 season.

Max Power said:

Yes, it is now just a waiting game for the first post-season "Next year is our year!" or something to that effect. I've seen it innumerable times this season - I'm just waiting for the first one in the post-season (from the Cubs' perspective, anyhow). I'm sure it occurred already...

HackWilson09 said:

Six months without baseball now. I can't cheer for that, no matter how bad the Cubs are. I sure did enjoy the Quade era, and I hope it continues.

Thanks Julie and Carl for doing this thing where people can speak honestly about the Chicago Cubs, and to lay out for everyone what it means to be a Cubs fan:

We have to laugh a LOT, and we also really like to channel our anger and frustration. I don't think you can be a Cubs fan without possessing and respecting these two essential elements.

When I first read one of Julie's blog posts last fall, I didn't think, "It's nice to read something from a woman about the Cubs" - I thought, "Finally, somebody who really gets it, someone who thinks like a real Cubs fan and knows how to articulate it," and it's refreshing to read a quality voice after years of horseshit being spewed out by the people at the Sun Times and Trib, who really do contribute to making things worse than they need to be, both for the readers and for the team itself. And there have been a lot of dud blogs, painful message boards not unlike one of the hell realms, and oh, yeah, Carrie Muskat is a dull, corporate shill.

So this is just a nice place to visit.

Maybe I'll see you in April. Bring back Kerry Wood!

I get the feeling the Yankees are going to pick up Kerry Woods's option for the 2011 season. $11 million will be pocket change to the Yanks.

Well...now that the season is over, I'd like to announce my candidacy for the manager job.

Lower taxes (ticket prices), less spending on wasteful projects (Alfonso Soriano), and an end to the war in Afghanistan (or St. Louis).

Thanks for your support.

sloan peterson said:

Sorry Doc, I hear a rumor that Meg Whitman, plans to buy the managers job if not elected gov of CA...:)

Damn...I just have to buy it? I didn't know that. Does anyone have about $3 million I can 'borrow' to buy the job?

Max Power said:

Just offer stock in Cubbie Doc's Examiner.

Well, by my calculations, the stock would have an IPO of $1 million a share in order for me to raise enough money for the job. That's assuming all 3 of my readers buy a share.

sloan peterson said:

I thought at first the tent was where the lineup for the Cubs manager job would be. That the Ricketts would have regional tryouts, a top ten, internet/phone voting, and then announce the winner and 2 runnerups.(in case the winning manager changes his mind, or wants to bail during the season)

I was wondering why the start of the line was on top of the scoreboard...does that indicate that we all should jump off of it?

sloan peterson said:

That actually the first of the challenges the candidates will have to perform. Ricketts will have judges below to judge the artistry of the dives......

This should be a nightly show on Comcast Sports Net over the next couple weeks. The ratings would be huge! It can be called "The Manager".

sloan peterson said:

Why leave it on Comcast? Let's think big!!! Let's sell this to FX,Spike,VH1,or if, we add a swimsuit competition, we could pitch this to the girlie ESPN....

Um...

I don't want to see Eric Wedge in a swimsuit...and neither would any of the women on this site. Now if we could get Scarlett Johansson to apply, that might be worth it.

Hmmmm.....that might not be a bad idea. Scarlett Johansson. I'd withdraw my name from consideration if she applied for the job.

Dmband said:

Have to say that was one of the roughest seasons we've had to watch in some time.

Onward and Upward. Excited to see a younger group next year, lots of potential and room for improvement.

Honestly, I found the 2005 season to be the most painful during the last 10 years. This year, while painful and disappointing (especially with a $146 million payroll), really only exposed the fact most of the key players on this team had aged significantly. And while it might be a couple years, there is some hope in the future as the farm system is not in too bad of shape and by 2012, most of the horrible contracts (except soriano & zambrano) come off the records.

In 2005, we knew the team was going to be bad...and probably get worse (which it did) and we were still left with Rusty Dusty for another season...the minor leagues were depleted except for the promise of Felix Pie. And Neifi Perez was the starting shortstop.

This team will be better in 2011 I think. Virtually no one felt that way about the team after the 2005 season.

And 2006 was more expected than anything...but we were all anxiously awaiting the 2007 season with a new manager and no more Neifi Perez. Even though all the pain this year...I felt a bit more positive about the future...and that kept me going through the end of season.

I have no delusions that the team will be better next season, I think they might be younger and more exciting though, if the front office doesn't screw it up and trade all the young guys for over paid past their prime long term contract players

If the Cubs are going to reduce the payroll next year...then they can't trade away the young kids for over-paid, past their prime long term contract players. In fact, with the exception of an OF/1B guy for a discount, I'm not sure the Cubs are going to make much of a splash in the free agent market...but that's ok to me. This team is playing for 2012 I think.

I think they should reduce payroll and keep young talent (this in fact has been a bit of a mantra for some time now) I am not convinced that this is what will happen, every time the Cubs seem like they might have reached their limit and finally cry uncle they find a (stupid) reason to convince themselves and the fans that with a little more cash and another big player they can be contenders, come to think of it its kinda like watching someone who won $20 on the blackjack table then drop $500 convinced that it was a streak

Have faith that the debt currently being held by the new owners will result in some fiscal restraint.

ELRaythar said:

Thank you guys for a wonderful (blogging) season. This has become one of the sites I visit first thing in the morning. This blog has made being a Cubs fan that much more bearable. Onto the offseason!

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Thanks for all the kind words, but you people better not be bailing on us for the offseason. There will be dark days ahead when I google news search Cubs and all it spits out are Cub fan obituaries, but we'll be on those obits all winter.

I can't wait for the endless debate on all the free agents we won't be signing this year because of the reduced payroll. It's going to be a fun off-season. Bring it on!

I hope all these "thank you" posts aren't the precursor to you guys taking off on us until ST!

We're even MORE fun in the off-season!

Yeah...the off-season is when Gravedigger gets drunk and starts dancing on top of the bar. Fun for the whole family.

Oh, I'm only supposed to do that in the offseason?

I love the offseason around here, it makes waiting until spring training bearable

plus then I know whats going on and don't have the "whadawhat?" look when someone random shows up in uniform in Arizona

And it will be a ton of fun when Bob Melvin gets the manager job and we all get pissed off and start plotting assassinations for the Cubs convention.

sloan peterson said:

Better yet those of us who cannot attend the Cubs convention could provide those who are attending deep,provacative,incindiary questions for the Ricketts, et al....

I, once again, will be forced to miss the Cubs Convention this year...but I have a much better excuse this time...our baby is due in the 2nd half of January this year.

And besides...no one...no matter what...asks deep, provocative incendiary questions to anyone about anything at the Cubs convention.

jtbwriter said:

Afternoon from "it never rains in California"-well, it is!

Love the pithy comments on the carnival that is the Cubs manager search-I'll laugh/cry so hard if after everything the Ricketts (sorry-just can't get over that name-snicker!) hire Quade as a scapegoat for a "rebuilding year"! Laugh if he fools them and pulls a winning season off, and cry if I'm right and we're looking up at the Pirates this date next year.
I sincerely hope I'm wrong on both counts. Darn-no baseball for 2 days always does this to me!