LOHO Votes- Day 1 of Democracy In Action: The Texas Rangers

texas_rangers.jpg

In an on-going effort to make baseball palatable for LOHOers as long as possible, we will, once again, be choosing a post-season team.

Unlike last year, when we merely let the almighty dollar sway us in the direction of the Minnesota Twins, this year we let democracy run its course.

Beginning today, we wll have a presentation from a "foreign" blogger each day, expounding on why (or why not) we should root for their team in the post-season. The day before the post-season starts, we'll vote on which team has earned our undying, though time-constricted, devotion.

In short, I thought it would work wonders on our self-esteem as fans to feel like decent teams are fighting over us.

Dig?

Our first presentation this season comes from baseblall blogger and Rangers chick extraordinaire Micah Chaplin of the fabulous Baseball Is My BF.

Wow us, Micah.

I was raised in central Iowa a fan of the Iowa State Cyclones and Chicago Cubs. I later chose to cheer for the Kansas City Chiefs and the Texas Rangers, but those early sports allegiances made me the patient, loyal fan I am today. My parents are still Cubs fans, although they've sort of adopted the Texas Rangers as their American League team.

I still cheer for the Cubs on a regular basis, and I attend several Iowa Cubs games annually. The Texas Rangers are number one in my heart, but the Cubs are second, so I would happily welcome a few diehard Cubs fans to the Rangers bandwagon during the upcoming postseason.

I suppose you'd like to know why a Cubs fan should have any interest in cheering for Texas. So here are a few reasons why you, a Cubs fan, should cheer for my Rangers:

Red and blue uniforms are familiar.  While the Rangers have taken to using red as a more dominant color, the blue is still there. It won't feel quite as odd as cheering for, say, grey pinstripes.

You can do the "claw" and "antlers."  Sometime this season, the players started these strange gestures for good work on the field. The "claw" is given for the standard good act. "Antlers" are for top notch plays and hits only. Usually, these are reserved for hitters and offense, but C.J. Wilson - a pitcher - has gotten the claw this year.  The players' tradition has seeped into the stands and even to fans at home. (I confess: I do the "claw" and "antlers" while watching games on television.)

Nolan Ryan is the club president and part-owner. Who doesn't love Nolan Ryan? Well, besides the Cy Young voters (since he never won one).  You can't tell me Cubs fans weren't cheering in 1993 when Ryan put Robin Ventura of the Chicago White Sox in a headlock. Just pretend the Rangers are Nolan Ryan and every team they play is Robin Ventura.

Jim "Sunny" Sundberg works in the front office in Arlington. He started and finished his catching career with the Rangers, but also enjoyed stints with the Brewers, Royals and Cubs. He has often been quoted as saying Chicago was his favorite place to play.  That's probably because he's an Illinois native, but I wouldn't blame him if it was because of Wrigley and the fans in Chicago.

Many Rangers players found themselves contributing in Chicago the very next season.  See Marlon Byrd and Mark DeRosa - two recent fan favorites. You're welcome for those gifts. We're sorry about Milton Bradley. Two out of three ain't bad, right?

At least one former Cub will be on the Rangers post-season roster. Andres Blanco has been a tremendous asset off the bench for Texas. I don't have many complaints about Clay Rapada either (although he hit a bit of a slide during a recent west coast swing). I know I still cheer for a few former Rangers who have moved on to other clubs (including Marlon!), so I would imagine you could find it in your heart to do the same.

Finally, you know the pain and suffering Rangers fans have gone through. The Cubs have gone 100-plus years without a World Series title, right?  Well, Texas is the only franchise without a playoff series victory.  They've only won ONE POSTSEASON GAME (out of nine) since their birth in 1972. As the organizations slogan says this year, "It's Time."  I'm sure you know that feeling.

Well Micah, these are all very compelling reasons. However, I would be remiss if I didn't point out one very major reason that you seem to have overlooked:

Rich Harden 2008-2009

Oh, and then there's this:

rich7.jpg

And finally . .  this:

Rich Harden 2008-2009.

So . . .  yeah.

You're welcome.

Do we assume that the team we cheer for will get swept out of the Division Series?

Cubs Psychologist said:

I would say yes!!

We have to assume they'll make it all the way to the WS. No fair trying to kick teams out by cheering for them.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Julie,

I still see where your heart lies!! Just read something on CCO about the Redsox being very interested in Aramis. What??

That's too bad for the Red Sox. I believe the Cubs have no intention of giving up Ramirez this offseason.

Too bad for them.

For that matter, *I'm* very interested in Evan Longoria. . . doesn't mean we're going to get him. ;)

secdelahc said:

All that I needed was the picture of Harden's ass. Unless someone gives me something comparable, I'm in for the Rangers. And well played, Micah, for appealing to the similarities between our fandoms.

I hate to break all of your hearts, but Harden hasn't pitched for 3 weeks and I believe it it unlikely he'll make the post season roster.

I'm a NO on the Rangers.

I prefer the Rangers or the Rays. Nobody's going to be able to convince me to give a shit about the Phillies, Yankees, Reds, etc.

Cubs Psychologist said:

I'm with you, Gravedigger. Being that I live in KY, there is not way in HELL that I'm cheering for Dusty and the Reds. Is Hamilton back for the Rangers yet?

berselius said:

Kerry Wood

sloan peterson said:

So Maddon's vitamin ad convinced you, huh?

just wait until you've heard all the pleas, please.

sloan peterson said:

You guys can post a 100 pictures of Harden and I still won't root for Texas. Two words: Bush Ownership. That's right, I hold the Texas Rangers partly responsible for the nightmare 8 years of Bush-they let him be an "owner" for like $1.50, and then let him sell his "share" for millions which helped fund his rise to power. Now, if the Rangers promise to publicly lasso and Brand W with the "L" for liar and "C" for crook, I might consider it....

secdelahc said:

What can I say? I'm superficial.

interesting . . . .

hey guys, I'm out until this afternoom. Feel free to post random Cubs headlines in the comments for debate and discussion.

sloan peterson said:

On the other hand I LOVE today's photo with Z and the bear....

HackWilson09 said:

Yawn.

When Jim Hendry grabbed Josh Hamilton in the Rule V and then gave him to the Reds for ten dollars, I ranted and raged, and then I cried over the woeful stupidity of the thing, knowing that Chad Fox had a spot on the roster, as did Ronny Cedeno, and Jacques Jones and Eric Patterson, and Matt Guitar Murton. He was moved for a genuine, albeit hurt, ace in Edinson Volquez. We got ten dollars.

I never want to see Josh Hamilton again as long as I live. I can't root for that. It would be like rooting for Lou Brock and the Cardinals.

Oh? Nobody remembers this? That we had the rights to one of the top offensive forces in baseball today? And we gave him away for absolutely nothing?

Fire Jim Hendry.

Show us one of the other 7 teams. Who are they?

I'm gonna vote for the Yankees, because fuck everybody. This is our only chance to vote for a $200-million dollar winner, so why choose failure because you hate the evil empire? We've been choosing failure for our entire lives. Fuck the underdog.

cadarnell said:

"I'm gonna vote for the Yankees, because fuck everybody" ....bwhahahhahahahabwhahahahah

berselius said:

Would you rather they got nothing? Hamilton was only being traded because the Reds had the support staff to deal with him (i.e., his sponsor, more or less). The guy was a fucking drug addict at the time.

Choose the Yankees because of Wood

HackWilson09 said:

Kerry Wood is simply my favorite Cubs player of all time, and I beg the Cubs to bring him back. I do hold Derek Jeter and Mo Rivera in very high regard, and I respect Girardi and Sabathia. Can't stand ARod, or the economic unfairness of it all, but I like this particular Yankees team more than most.

On Josh Hamilton, listen...

If you can get the recovered addict, the 5-tool, number-one-draft-pick player, for free... Why not hold on to him and see what happens?

We can't do that, but we CAN give $30 million to Milton Bradley?

How does that make sense? It's like giving $21 million to Jason Marquis instead of handing the ball to any warm body in the system for nothing. The guy had an era of 6!

Extolling the positives of Jim Hendry's career is like bragging about winning eight dollars in a slot machine before you lost a hundred. But you're actually trying to tell me that the Cubs were right? Hello? He's batting .360. They were wrong, already.

Teebob2000 said:

Fuck the Yankees.

That is all.

They don't even deserve that.

But, but we would have had the drinky, cokey Josh Hamilton. We would have traded himn long before the Rangers picked him up, anyway. The Reds didn't keep him, either.

HackWilson09 said:

Well, how cool would it be to have a player with a name like Edinson Volquez when we traded him away?

cadarnell said:

I have to "pull" for the Reds ... I had a lot of support from the guy I sit by at work every day during the last three playoff appearances by the Cubs and he is a pretty big Reds fan ... only problem is I really don't like a lot of Reds fan's attitudes lately ... I think they think they are much better than they really are ... they'll be lucky to advance at all I think.

HackWilson09 said:

Within the NL, I just don't see how you can beat the Phillies with Halladay and Oswalt.

Why don't we have a GM who can do things like that?

Dmband said:

Im rooting for the Giants. I can watch Lincecum pitch every day. That plus I picked them to make the playoffs, along with the Braves..(patting myself on the back).

sloan peterson said:

I'm making $$ if the Giants or Padres make the playoffs,but I probably will root for the Yanks. What can I say, yes, they are the big $$ team but Steinbenner put the $$ back in the team, by paying the big$$ and playing to win. Kerry Wood getting a ring, would be great.........

Aisle424 said:

My need to root for an underdog picks the Rangers since they have never really won anything of consequence. Also, they are giving Mark Prior a chance, so that's nice.

sloan peterson said:

Prior has been such a jerk off the field, I couldn't bring myself to root for him at all.

He hasn't had much of a chance to be a jerk on the field.

post of the day.

AndCounting said:

I'll root for the Rangers and especially Josh Hamilton. Because, holy crap, how stupid can people be?

I don't want them to win, but I'm surprised at the lack of Braves love here. Doesn't anyone want "class act" Derrek Lee to win it all?

Cubs Psychologist said:

He's done that already!! We haven't forgotten that.

cadarnell said:

he wasn't that much of a class act on his way out the door in my opinion ... he should have taken the first trade Hendry lined up ... that was a selfish act towards a team that made him a very rich man.

finally, someone that feels the same way about the situation as I do!

I'm holding out for the Royals to make the playoffs...they still have a shot at the wild-card, right?

Cubs Psychologist said:

As good of a shot as we do or Pittsburgh. Hell, Pittsburgh beat us.

Teebob2000 said:

As much as I despise the idea of the "nation" of Texas (secessionist Gov Rick Hairpiece and all), and GW Bush (for the reason cited above and 4000-plus more who never made it home alive), it's also brought us islands of sanity like SXSW and Molly Ivins, so it's kind of a wash. And Gov Hairpiece gives us funny shit to laugh at.

I vote the Rangers. I've been watching their games all year on DTV and they're a fun team to watch. My buddy and I even did a roadtrip down there to take in a weekend homestand. And that way I can wear my Rangers "T" cap and nobody will ask me "what's the T for?"

Plus, Nolan Ryan is an ass-kicker of the highest order.

you don't get to vote until you've heard everyone's argument.

Who made you the boss around here?

Teebob2000 said:

I. Vote. The. Rangers.

secdelahc said:

Okay, I changed my mind. I'm keeping an open mind and waiting to make my decision until I can research which team has the hottest players.

sloan peterson said:

Okay-if we do that we also need to see all the rookie hazing photos as well...:)

i'm still trying to track those down!

Dmband said:

I will say, Micah posted a well crafted arguement for the Ranger.

Lets hope Josh doesnt fall off the bandwagon during the playoffs. Its hard to hit HR's after a night of blow and hookers.

Stay clean Josh! Im pulling for you!

Oh, this is bad, but I have to admit I laughed. I also hope he pulls through, even if he's gotta lean on the god crutch to do it.