Cubs Wednesday Headlines: Who is this Team and What Have They Done with the 2010 Cubs?

Chicago Cubs manager Mike Quade (L) congratulates Tyler Colvin in the dugout after scoring in the second inning against the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium in St. Louis on September 14, 2010. UPI/Bill Greenblatt Photo via Newscom

A second consecutive night of disparaging a Cubs starting pitcher in a game thread has yielded results. Only this time, Randy Wells pitched well (8 IP, 5 H, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 ER). And the Quade Express just keeps on chugging away.

Not only are the Cubs winning with Mike Quade at the helm, but a report surfaced Tuesday that former Florida Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez has turned down a chance to interview with Cubs general manager Jim Hendry.

Quade, who has been managing the Cubs since Lou Piniella resigned last month, ran his record to 13-7 Tuesday night as the Cubs beat the St. Louis Cardinals 7-2 at Busch Stadium.

Randy Wells added two RBI in his first career start in his hometown.

While there's a lot we don't know about the 2011 Cubs, it doesn't include the schedule, which was released yesterday.

The Cubs will play host to the Yankees on June 17-19, highlighting the 2011 schedule that was released to MLB.com Tuesday. The Yankees manager is rumored to be interested in the Cubs' opening if he doesn't return to the Bronx.

The Cubs will open the season April 1 at Wrigley 1 against Pittsburgh and will travel to Boston to play their first-ever interleague series at Fenway Park on May 20-22. The last time they played at Fenway was during the 1918 World Series, when Babe Ruth and the Red Sox beat them 4 games to 2. Boston and the Cubs have played only one interleague series before, in 2005 at Wrigley.

Catching up with the injured Cubs, the team's not sure what they'll do about Carlos Silva for the rest of the year and Tom Gorzelanny is going to pitch a simulated game Sunday. As for Starlin Castro, things appear to be better after missing the last two days.

Shortstop Starlin Castro missed a second consecutive game because of his bruised hip but is expected back in the lineup tonight.

Dear MLB,

About damn time.

Luv,
Flyball

thisyearcub said:

Dear Flyball,

Hook me up with some tickets!!

Hugs and kisses,
TYC

I would like to say this is an excellent opportunity for you all to buy me a graduation gift

just saying

sloan peterson said:

Is anyone else finding meaning in that the Cubs season starts on April Fools Day?

thisyearcub said:

Yay to Fredi turning it down. Have fun in Atlanta (provided they pick you). Now Cubs, go for Girardi! (Or Torre). Or hell, if we're going to blow everything up, might as well stick with Quaderophenia. Reign O'er us!

AndCounting said:

Atlanta, unlike the Cubs, is not entertaining dozens of candidates. I think Fredi will enjoy his time there free from rose ceremonies and tribal councils.

thisyearcub said:

True, but you never know. They may go elsewhere. I do believe it'll be Fredi by the time the dust settles, but I've been hearing Terry Pendleton will get a fair chance as well.

I feel like I'm abandoning my favorite player ever (Sandberg) but I would love for Girardi to be manager, but can I also request either Sandberg of Davis to be a bench coach?

thisyearcub said:

I doubt Sandberg would want to be a bench coach, but I could see Jody Davis taking the gig

Sandberg is going to be a manager in 2011...either with the Cubs or some other big league team. There are too many openings out there, and he has become a very hot commodity. Sandberg will not be the Cubs bench coach next season.

yeah yeah, I know, but since I don't know if Hendry is going to take a chance on Sandberg a girl can dream

Jody Davis really should though, I think it would be good

If Sandberg is manager next year...Jody Davis will be either the bench coach or the first base coach.

I know the fans want this. But there's something the powers that be need to remember.

The fans are fucking stupid.

Am I the only one who just really wants them to name Quade the manager?

I'm not there yet...but I think I might start leaning that way pretty soon...not sure, though. He seems a little too insane and evil for my tastes.

I'm saying this because I really don't think a manager makes a huge difference at all in wins and losses. So if a guy is getting acclimated and you can say "hey, he looks fine," and then not waste a bunch of time finding someone else who will do the job about equally as well, you can start looking at why the performance aspect of this organization is so thoroughly and completely fucked.

because they need to decide if someone else will placate the fans more and sell more tickets

Sandberg will help sell tickets at the beginning of next season...but that's it...outside of that, the manager isn't going to make much difference.

For the most part, I agree with you, GD, about the manager not making a huge difference in wins and loses...but I believe there are candidates out there who can negatively affect the team.

Yeah, but Quade won't. So, I guess I'm saying I'd rather invest his time in de-sucking this team instead of finding another manager when that won't make a difference.

I'm trying to find a reason to disagree with that. No success yet.

I have some serious thinking to do about who the next manager should be. I guess I figured that Gonzalez wasn't going to get the job anyway...but still, I guess it hurts a bit when the guy I really wanted doesn't even want to be considered for the job.

If I thought that Girardi really intends to leave the Yankees, I suppose that he'd be my top choice. I just don't see that happening what-so-ever, and I don't think the Cubs are willing to wait to find out anyway.

The Cubs need to move quickly as there will be a large number of managerial openings and candidates are going to be swept up quickly...at this point these team will need a new manager...

Dodgers
Mariners
Blue Jays
Braves
Marlins
D-Backs
Cubs

and the possibility exists that the following teams also could have openings due to the fact that their managers don't have contracts for 2011...

Yankees
Cardinals
Reds
Brewers (have an option on Macha)
Rangers
Mets (have an option on Manuel)

The Cubs are in tight competition right now, and they have already lost out on one of the best candidates out there.

but wanting to be Cubs manager is like searching for buried treasure, its probably not going to be there, and you'll end up either spending your life savings trying to find it and alienating friends and family

but its treasure, and the possibility will keep people coming back for more. the long string of past managers that (to various degrees, and not always at their own fault) failed, doesn't seem to deter candidates

as long as the Cubs position is open there will be candidates that think "I could do that, and it would be the topper to my career" and in a way that complete trust in their own abilities are what you want

for the record, I think Piniella did not fail

AndCounting said:

I think it's more like searching for gonorrhea. A lot of candidates might imagine fantastic scenarios of conquest, thrills, and glory, but when it's all over the sexy allure is gone and their only prize is pain, shame, and a burning sensation when they pee, and everybody else is either glad they didn't get it or hopeful that something that awful would never happen to them.

I'm just guessing here, but this is what my gut is telling me...

That allure of the Cubs job isn't there anymore. The Cubs have brought in two consecutive high profile managers with the "I could do that, and it would be the topper to my career" type of attitude and both have pretty much left with their tail tucked between their legs.

The press has made comments people like LaRussa or Torre possibly feeling that way, but I honestly don't think either of them actually do. Bobby Valentine has made some comments about that, but my feeling is that he likes the idea of the Cubs job more because it will pay well than anything else. (I hate Bobby Valentine, if you can't tell.)

I don't see this as a destination job right now. Girardi and Sandberg might think of it as a dream job, but they are "Cubs" to start with.

So I honestly believe that we might see a few other people bow out of this thing before a decision is made. It is not a secret anymore that this job is one of the most abusive in all of sports.

I think that makes too much sense, and the allure of a job is mostly a senseless endeavor, its a reptilian brain reaction to being the one to change something, to prevail, to whatever

I think thats why they get candidates that could make more money, with a better lifestyle and better players at another team interviewing for the job

but then, I think most people are chasing immortality with something

not me...I can't wait to die and be forgotten.

I don't believe that

you'd be surprised.

what I really want to say here will sound mean and dismissive, which isn't how I intend it to be, and will only piss people off

I'm deciding if its worth it or not

Don't worry about pissing me off. I'm, generally, pissed off all the time anyway.

lets see if I can say this nicely

I do think most people (not all) are looking for some sort of immortality, sometimes its important, trying to broker peace in the Middle East, sometimes obvious, winning a National Championship, painting a great painting, sometimes local, getting a new street light installed, and sometime personal, having children or telling family stories, but I think its usually there

That is the THIRD TIME this week I've heard someone mention LaRussa. STOP IT!

LaRussa LaRussa LaRussa LaRussa!

sloan peterson said:

That would quiken my mom's heart-she believes LaRussa is one of the most handsome managers in baseball....

sloan peterson said:

But we'd get Dave Duncan, and thus rid ourselves of Rothchild. And what if LaRussa made Cub players take ballet class,like he did the A's???

cadarnell said:

piniella never won a playoff game and he came here to win a world series .. so I think he would say he failed. He failed this season for sure. It's pretty easy to see the team started playing a heck of a lot better when he left, especially Big Z ... you have to have good relationships with your stars .... no way we're 13-7 in the last 20 if he was still here.

up ALL night with a sick child.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Max still out of town?

on his way home.

before he left, he volunteered for me to watch other children on the same night as football practice, curriculum night, and a puking child.

i cannot WAIT until he gets home.

The fact that Fredi Gonzalez has enough common sense NOT to want to coach the Cubs makes me want him even more.

I feel the same way...

...and the fact that I want him even more makes me not want him to suffer through the pain of managing the Cubs now. He has now reached Sandberg status for me.

I disagree

I want someone who goes "I know its a huge pain, and a huge risk, and i think I can do it" there should be a little ego involved

Doesn't saying "I think I can do it" indicate that there is ego involved?

I was reiterating a point

I mis-read what you said...my bad.

man, I was itching for a fight

will someone please fight with flyball? i'm way too tired.

tastes great...

I don't want a pity fight

no pity involved...I sick of people like you thinking that it's less filling.

I just don't think it tastes very good

You know...I think we all have taken Fredi's unwillingness to interview for the Cubs position the wrong way...

All we know is that he declined to be interviewed...maybe he feels he doesn't need to interview for the Cubs job...they should just offer him the job flat out.

He's so good, he doesn't need to interview.

Jim Hendry... Get it done!

sloan peterson said:

So Fredi's playing hard to get?

exactly.