Cubs Thursday Headlines

Chicago Cubs right fielder Kosuke Fukudome (R) steals third base on San Diego Padres third baseman Chase Headley in the first inning of their MLB National League baseball game in San Diego, California September 29, 2010.  REUTERS/Mike Blake (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BASEBALL)

The Cubs may have lost last night, but the team has been lining up in support of the Mike Quade for manager campaign. The unofficial spokesman in Ryan Dempster.

''He's done a great job, and I hope he's here longer than just this year and managing for us next year,'' Dempster said. ''I hope he's managing for us next year because he deserves it. He's done everything they've asked, and everyone in here really likes him.''
Other players, in fear of recrimination from Dempster, are following his lead.

Veteran center fielder Marlon Byrd echoed Dempster's comments a few moments later, and several others, including catcher Geovany Soto -- and Hendry -- have raved in recent days about how Quade has handled the club in the five weeks since taking over for Lou Piniella.

One reason I might cite in the reasons for Mike Quade to be manager is his brilliant decision to go with Casey Coleman over Jeff Samardzija for Friday's start. Even though he missed out on this one last chance to start a game in 2010, Samardzija is happy with the way this year has gone. Yes, you read that correctly.

"Even with the last outing, I'm not too worried about it, to tell you the truth. The more I repeat this windup and this stretch and just keep throwing, walks don't bother me one bit. Obviously, we want to avoid them, but I know as time goes on, those numbers will shrink down to where we want them, and I think after that, the sky's the limit."
The walks will just magically disappear! Next year should be a great year for him. There is one Cub pitcher we all know has had a great year, but it never ceases to amaze me, so let's look at Carlos Marmol once again.

Marmol is averaging an astonishing 16 strikeouts per nine innings, on pace to break Eric Gagne's single-season record of 14.98 strikeouts per 9, set in 2003.

Marmol should win the Cy Young.

plamorte said:

All Quade is missing is a Cito-like mustache.

Two things:

1) Spellecheck being happy with this season makes me want to stab something. His ERA is 8.38 and his WHIP is 2.12. I don't think I've ever seen a WHIP over 2.00 before.

2) I would really like Ryan Dempster to stay out of the managerial race. Thanks.

HackWilson09 said:

How is it that spellcheck has not been flamed and roasted in the media, outside of this blog? Is this the Notre Dame football boner that all the little boys of Chicago seem to have? The fact that he was even being considered for the friday start is just jaw-dropping. If he were anyone else in the universe, he never would have made the major league club. He's never known how to pitch and he never will.

On Demspter and Byrd supporting Mike Quade...

I think it's time for people to actually start recognizing something here. Mike Quade is winning, and he's rubbing the players the right way, and he's handling the media well. He's a smart baseball man without too much overthinking, he has positive energy, but he's not a crusty egomaniac.

I'm beginning to wonder why we would look anywhere else. Joe Maddon, Tony LaRussa and Jim Leyland all came from long but successful minor league managing careers.

Girardi is a sexy choice, but if the Marlins let him go after one year, and the Yankees are willing to let him go after two years, what could that say about him?

And Sandberg? Really? Popular choice with fans? Not this fan. The guy spoke 4 words a day during his career. He has the personality of a Jack Brickhouse statue, if there was one. Bench coach or third base coach, sure.

The Cubs should look no further than Mike Quade. But if they do ignore the extraordinary success that has taken place with a depleted team in September, then I won't be surprised, because of the ongoing perpetuation of failure thing... and I won't be surprised if their fans fall for whatever stupid decision they decide to make either.

cadarnell said:

Qs success has moved him way up on my list, but I still think the best choice would be Girardi.(the fan in me says Ryno, but oh well) .. I would go Girardi number one, Sandberg number two and Q number three. I can't help but think that some of Qs success is coming from the obvious fact that this team went from almost nothing to a very good something for a manager, when he took over. I'm sure it was a breath of fresh air to have a manager actually smile at you now and then. So in that respect, I think a lot of good coaches could have had some success with this team following Piniella. I don't mean to totally downplay what Q has done as it's been very admirable, but I think if Sandberg or Giradi had stepped at the same point in the season they would have had a lot of success too.

HackWilson09 said:

Trammel didn't have any success in his two short stints, which would indicate that this couldn't have happened for just anybody after Lou left.

cadarnell said:

true .. I guess there was a good reason for Q instead of Trammel. It just seemed like the overall attitude of the team changed once Lou was gone for good. Maybe Q is a great manager .. right now I'd just rather see Hendry not deal in maybe's .. unless it's Ryno .. but I love Ryno so my thinking is probably not trustworthy on that.

sloan peterson said:

Agree for this year,if only because the Cubs will be in major rebuilding-dumping salary mode. Thus they will probably not contend and this could scare of more established managers. I say, give him a 1 year contract-it worked for Walt Alston....

HackWilson09 said:

Excellent idea -- if they do nothing but bring in one setup reliever, and put Colvin at first... and Quade wins... then he's manager for life.

Not to disagree with your point, but Tony LaRussa did not have a long, successful minor league managing career.

Now, if you were talking about Tommy Lasorda...he did have an extensive minor league managing career, and 3rd base coaching career before becoming manager of the Dodgers.

HackWilson09 said:

some Italian guy... yeah

berselius said:

We can't take anything from Mike Quade's performance, especially in this small sample of games. It's easy to look good when expectations are low and the media scrutiny is much less now that football has started. He could fill the entire lineup card with pitchers and no one would raise a fuss.

PsyMar1 said:

In 2007, I was in a 20-team fantasy baseball league with 25 players per roster. And about 12 of my team got injured in by the end of May. My best outfielder was Sammy Sosa (in his one-year return to the Rangers, he hit something like .230 with 20 HRs).

Long story short, yes, I have seen a WHIP over 2.00 before, and probably had it on my fantasy team.

Dmband said:

Here's my concern with Quade. I think its a lot easier to play "loose" and be super cool laid back basebally guy when you team is completely out of the race.

The pressure seems to be a reoccuring theme this team really struggles with when games matter. Big Z is the worst offender in this regard. Sure when the games dont matter, everyones playing great fundamentally sound baseball. Unfortuantely its how they perform when the games DO matter that is of concern to me.

There needs to be some kind of adjustment. Like a "wins after team is mathmatically elimanted" stat. Say...every 3 wins counts for one real win. WATME.

I know..I know..wins are wins...but there really not.

sloan peterson said:

Ryan Dempster.
. He's done everything they've asked, and everyone in here really likes him.''

I think Dempster is confusing being manager with "Daily Affirmations with Stuart Smiley."

cadarnell said:

I'm an Indiana basketball fan and I remember a lot of very similar statements coming from the players after Mike Davis took over for Bob Knight. Well, the AD listened to the players and hired him, and the lesson there was ... don't listen to the players at all. Davis turned out to be a total bust after he began to get his own recruits in there. I hope Hendry gives no credence to what the players are saying about the manager's position.

Here's my concern with Quade: I dont care if he rubs these players the right way, because I hate 905 of them and want them gone. I want someone who rubs our new players the right way.

We are getting new players, right?

RIGHT?

I still haven't decided who I would want as manager...but why is everyone so concerned about how the players like the manager? We had that type of manager not that long ago, and his name was Dusty Baker.

And...no...we aren't getting new players....unless by 'new' you mean 'old'.