Cubs Thursday Headlines

Chicago Cubs pitcher Randy Wells delivers against the Atlanta Braves during the first inning at Wrigley Field in Chicago on August 22, 2010.   UPI/Brian Kersey Photo via Newscom
This is what Randy Wells might have looked like
 last night, only with less light.

Randy Wells is doing all he can in September to erase his sophomore slump. He's going to look back on this year with his children and say, "See? I didn't have a sophomore slump! Look at that ERA!" He's managed to make it look like he's had a respectable year, even though we know the truth.

On the heels of working 8 innings of 1-run ball against the Cardinals last week, Wells followed that with 72/3 innings of 6-hit ball as he improved to 8-13 with a 4.28 ERA.

It's too little, too late, but the Cubs are trying to make something out of the final two weeks of a lost season.

"We're playing some good ball right now," Wells said. "Everybody's loose. Everybody's having fun. You wish it wasn't too little, too late, but try to build for next year and see what we've got, and everybody's responded well."

Aramis Ramirez had a horrendous first half this year, and it turns out that it was for good reason. He was playing injured.

''I'm not going to say specifically what it was, but I wasn't healthy,'' said Ramirez, who eventually went on the disabled list in June after battling a badly bruised thumb for several weeks.

''Not only the thumb, just injuries in general. I wasn't healthy, put it that way. It's tough enough to play when you're healthy.''

Ramirez also was sidelined a few days last month because of a rib-cage injury and earlier this month missed time because of a quadriceps injury.

It's one of the reasons he's optimistic about his chances for rebounding with a big season next year and helping return some firepower to a lineup that likely will open the season younger, if not cheaper, than this year's.

See, everything will be better next year! On the topic of injuries and next year, Tylermania! and Geovany Soto are both recovering well.

News from the doctor's office was all good for the Cubs on Wednesday: Tyler Colvin was released from the hospital and Geovany Soto vowed to "be 100 percent by spring training."

Colvin was driven home in South Carolina by his grandfather and is not expected to return to Wrigley Field before the final home game Sunday. Doctors do not want him to fly yet.

"I'd love to see him again before the season is over but obviously his health takes precedence," manager Mike Quade said.

And for everyone who was worried we might lose Mitch Atkins once he was designated for assignment, fear not!

Pitcher Mitch Atkins cleared release waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A Iowa.

So we are like 100-5 since Quade took over...and we are still in 5th place? WTF!

Teebob2000 said:

When you start at 16-173, that's a big uphill climb.

they won 16 games before that? Wow. It sure didn't seem like that many.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Doc, I need your professional opinion. I was very intriqued about the comments suggesting we trade Marmol to the Yankees. What are your thoughts? Also, did you get a good seat last night for the game?

I could have gotten a good seat...but I sat in my normal seat in the upper deck. :)

I think trading Marmol away at this point is a bad idea. He's still under team control and is a second year arbitration eligible this coming off season. With the stuff the Marmol has and his age, it is in the best interest of the Cubs to hold on to him to make sure they aren't trading away Bruce Sutter or something. While his number are ridiculous this season, he still hasn't proven to be a top of the line closer as he is still walking a few too many people. Give him another season to see if he can become that.

And, honestly, the Yankees have very little that I would want unless they wanted to part with A-Rod or Teixeira...or their stadium.

plamorte said:

Randy baby! 8-13, what a stud

plamorte said:

should of said September Stud, 2 W, 18 K, 2.96 ERA, 1.28 WHIP

Wells was getting hit really hard in the first two innings, but escaped out of them. He was impressive last night. He's almost as hot and cold as Carlos Zambrano.

plamorte said:

yea I think he's been pretty damn serviceable for a back of the rotation starter, I don't really put too much value into the W-L records for pitcher

sloan peterson said:

I attribute Well's performance to the fact I could only see the game in 15 second bites, courtesy of MLB Network's ADD in showing all the games last night. Not to mention that instead of ESPN giving LA the Cubs game due to blackout, we got Red Sox-Orioles,Braves-somebody, and the rain delayed Yankee game. Thanks ESPN!!!

well, watching the Red Sox v Orioles is kinda like watching the Cubs, c.2008

cadarnell said:

I saw a few not very entertaining innings on espn during the yanks/rays delay ... saw wells get pulled and get pissed about it .. the hit that KOed him was just a few feet short of the basket so Q had seen enough ...

Austin Powers is scaring me.

cadarnell said:

here's a good topic going on at world series dreaming on facebook. thought some folks here might like to chime in on the subject. If you're on facebook maybe you already have there ... sorry if that's the case ..

"Brunch/lunchtime discussion suggested by fans: With the season almost over, who is your pick for Cubs MVP and best pitcher, and why? MVP doesn't have to be a position player but almost likely will be. Keep it real, and have at it!"

cadarnell said:

my heart says big Z and castro ... my brain says demp and castro ...

plamorte said:

please share your hearts reasoning for Big Z as best pitcher?

cadarnell said:

I just think he's the most talented one of all of um ... just got off to a bad start and then got dicked around with the bull pen stuff ... then the whole psychiatric evaluation crap for showing some emotion when the team was sucking hard. He's my personal MVP for the way he delt with all that and still has put together a great string of starts here at the end of the season. Dempster had a better year, I know that, but I'm a big, big Z fan I guess...

Byrd
Marshall

I win.

HackWilson09 said:

An MVP is somebody who makes the biggest difference on a team, someone who contributes toward the most wins and gives you the most positives, like what Tulo is doing in September, if the Rockies make it.

I would say Marlon Byrd, but he hasn't driven in enough runs. Saying a guy with under 90 rbis is any kind of "Most Valuable" is just silly.

Which brings us to the deeper discussion about this very silly team and it's crawl to 700 runs. Nobody deserves an MVP, but if you had to award an LLVP -- Least Least Valuable Player -- I'd probably give it to Byrd because I really like the way he plays and the things he says. The Cubs need his positivity. Castro is the ROY. Demp and Marmol can share the team Cy.

But I award the MVP to Mike Quade, because nobody has done more for turning this awful team toward a winning attitude than he has. Even if it's only 37 games - Good God, what a pleasure it is to see somebody get something out of a bunch of guys that any other human being would have given up for toast.

And yeah, Lou is my LVP this year. His biggest mistake was in not knowing when to actually retire. I mean, he did retire from baseball about 17 months ago, but he forgot to tell everyone else. The Chicago Cubs need a strong leader who doesn't quit. Lou quit on everybody.

cadarnell said:

applause !!

My MVP is Big Z, for managing to get jerked around all year without killing anyone. Although, had he killed the right person, it actually might have improved this team, so maybe he's not MVP after all.

we're now giving awards for not losing it completely? that seems like a bad sign

and he was only jerked around for 2/3 of the season

sloan peterson said:

I nominate Tylermania! for putting up with having no manager,spotty team play, and literally taking one for the team in the chest. How many injured players can say they were impaled?

HackWilson09 said:

I support this.

Lou just loved hating certain players. Zambrano starts out slow EVERY YEAR. So did Wuertz, and he was jettisoned from the team for nothing, only to have a huge year in Oakland last year.

How is it that you can stick a seasoned veteran, your opening day starter, in that stupid relief role, instead of Randy Sophomore Wells, or one of the other two guys who just showed up??? That was retarded.

And why not get in Derrek Lee's face? DLee is my co-LVP along with Lou this year. His refusal to work on his hitting, his not bothering to get into correct cutoff positions, and his general lack of energy really brought things down. But a Lou Piniella favorite! He never left the middle of the order, despite his abysmal hitting all year.

I don't disagree with the anger management, but kicking him off the team for getting fed up with 24 slugs and their manager was nothing to be penalized for. Lou wasn't doing his job, so Big Z tried to do it. He just has a problem understanding things like tact. And timing.

I like Carlos Zambrano, and I hope he keeps seeing the counselor, and I hope he's third in the rotation next year, behind Cliff Lee and Ryan Dempster.

cadarnell said:

applause ... three cheers for cliff lee too ... or someone of the caliber ...

so Julie, does your comments yesterday mean you didn't go tothe tweetup, or whatever they called it?

someone needs to o to 1, as a on scene reporter of sorts