Cubs Monday Headlines: Get Well Soon, Tylermania!

Chicago Cubs Tyler Colvin takes his home run trot after hitting a three run home run in the seventh inning against the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium in St. Louis on September 15, 2010. Chicago won the game 7-3. UPI/Bill Greenblatt Photo via Newscom

By now, you should've heard about Tylermania nearly being impaled by a bat shard. If you haven't, scroll down and read Julie's thread from last night about it. And the video was still up as of 6 AM Eastern, so it may still be there. If it's not, I know that it's on ESPN Chicago's recap of yesterday's game.

The rest of yesterday's lineup looked pretty sad, so if I told you the final score of the game was 13-3, you wouldn't be surprised. You might be surprised if you found out that the Cubs were in fact the victors.

Fielding a lineup that included seven starters who spent most of the season in the minor leagues -- including three players without a big-league hit this year -- the Cubs still beat the Marlins 13-3 to extend their winning streak to a two-year high of six.

''Is that fun or what?'' said Quade, who was surprised to learn that at 17-7 he has the best 24-game start for a Cubs manager since 1932, when Charlie Grimm -- the last manager to have the Cubs in a World Series -- started 19-5 after replacing Rogers Hornsby.

There's simply no stopping Mike Quade. He will not be denied.

Sunday was Quade's last chance until the last weekend of the season to face a team out of contention, so he used it to play the young guys. It worked well enough to finish off an 8-1 road trip that was the best in Cubs history for a trip that long -- another fact that surprised Quade.

''You mean that dude in '32 didn't do that?'' he said.

Even he didn't do it, Mike. But you're a little old to be using dude.

More good news from yesterday's game is that Wellington Castillo had an RBI double and a home run, and we might get to see him play more. The bad news is that Geovany Soto will be out for the rest of the year after arthroscopic surgery. So that also means the possibility of more Koyie Hill.

Cubs catcher Geovany Soto will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder Monday, ending a strong comeback season.

"It's a little shocking, a little disappointing," he said. "You want to go through the finish line, but I can't help the Cubs if I'm not healthy."

Soto has played through shoulder pain since August, and the surgery was scheduled now to clean up his right AC joint and give him time to recover before spring training. It takes three months to rehab the injury, in which two bones in his AC joint were grinding against each other.

"I can rehab it all I want, but it's just bone on bone and it's going to be there and it's prone to be there later on," he said.

Finally, Jeff Baker is ahead of the MLB curve in the safety department. Hopefully the league will figure something out after Tyler Colvin's nearly disastrous meeting with a broken piece of maple bat. Save the maple trees for syrup.

Jeff Baker, explaining why he doesn't use maple bats: "I saw an umpire get slashed in the neck in Kansas City. It's just not worth it to me. I just use ash. I don't want that on my conscience if someone gets hurt."

cadarnell said:

to bad the bat didn't make it into the stands ... then no one would have been hurt at all ... haha ... sorry tyler, glad you'll be fine ... I just thought that joke was funny ... I'm reading that's it's the bigger barrels and smaller handles that are more the problem than maple .. castillo shouldn't feel bad about using maple I don't think ... maybe some sort of synthetic material would help ... the ball has changed a lot thru the years so why not the bat I guess ... long as it's not metal ...

I feel like I let Tylermania down by watching the Bears in his hour of need. :(

You did. As usual, it is all your fault.

God, you ruin everything.

Also Carl, he wasn't NEARLY impaled, he was actually impaled! I think when a shard of wood punctures your lung, you've officially been impaled.

kiwibob said:

Doesn't an impaling require your shard of wood to actually stay sticking out of your chest as you head to home plate?
I don't want to rain on Tyler's parade here but any 600 year-old Romanian count worth their salt would brush that off as a mere flesh wound...

DKT said:

Hey, Tyler did go ahead and score. That should count for something!

"it's just a flesh wound! come back here, I'll bite your head off!"

Teebob2000 said:

"What are you going to do: bleed on me?"

PsyMar1 said:

Well, at least we can now be fairly certain that Tylermania! is not a vampire.

still no word on whether Lou was ever actually a dragon.

Yes, Mike, we're proud of what the team has done since you've been here (though I'm not directly attributing that to you), but Carl is right. No more of this "dude" nonsense.

cadarnell said:

I would contribute it to the fact that there is someone paying attention to the games now ... oh what might have been this year if only ..... (snif)

cadarnell said:

@me ...contribute??? ... "you keep using that word. I do not thionk you know what that word means" ...doh !!!

AndCounting said:

The Cubs really have saved their most compelling baseball for the nadir of our collective interest.

cadarnell said:

agreed ... I do think it matters a hell of a lot though. I don't remember too many teams finishing up a bad season on a really bad streak coming out of the gate strong the next season. Better late than never I guess. It does make the manager's race more interesting tough ... that's a good reason to keep our intrest out of the nadir ...if nadir is something bad ...

berselius said:

I've watched maybe 2 games in the past 2 months. I hate this team.

kiwibob said:

I'm finding them strangely compelling... watching them play when I don't care if they win or lose because it doesn't matter is actually quite relaxing.
Well, that and the fact that they are somehow managing to score more runs than the other team.
But, between April and only a couple of weeks ago, I did find them fairly loathsome...

berselius said:

Football (American and otherwise) has completely sucked away all my baseball interest, and I can't say I miss it right now

cadarnell said:

I was listening to colin cowherd the other day and he said something I really think is so true. Baseball doesn't get it. They don't realize they can't compete with football. They should start the season a little sooner, end it a lot sooner, add a couple more playoff teams, add another round and get it all done well before October. That would be the best way to deal with the problem of ncaa football and the mighty NFL ratings wars ... or slaughters actually ... not wars ... I know the purist will talk about all the record and numbers that will be thrown off if that happens, but roids sorta screwed all that uo anyway...

sloan peterson said:

Actually since I like baseball better, I like the longer season-it means less time for me to be stuck with sports I don't like,and inevitably I find at least one team to kindof root for in the playoffs...

and fireworks! and guns! firetrucks!

sloan peterson said:

I'm ticked at the NFL however, the San Diego Chargers petitioned the NFL to consider LA part of their home market, the NFL agreed, so now LA is stuck with endless SD Charger commericals and for the first time in years, will have games blacked out. So I'm sticking to college football for now...

Teebob2000 said:

That, on TOP of having to live in LA! Yeesh!

sloan peterson said:

Only an LA weather broadcaster would call an average 95 degree daily temps summer a "cool"summer.....

sloan peterson said:

And it's good that they haven't totally bit the dust, like the LA Dodgers for example....

DKT said:

I watched poor Tyler get impaled and didn't even realize what was happening until after the fact... I was like Tyler, watching Castillo's beautiful double...

Cubs Psychologist said:

So, Tylermania (or Tyco as I like to call him) gets impaled and we sweep two consecutive series...WTF??

i like tyco ...

thisyearcub said:

Glad Castillo is getting some at-bats finally. Hoping for a Soto/Castillo duo in 2011, and for Koyie to go farrrrr away.

Also, the Cubs are only 4 games out of third in the Central. This saddens me.

cadarnell said:

the closer we get to the cards and reds the more you have to look at all those losses to bad teams early ... the pirates killed us ... just killed us ...uggggg

baturkey said:

"I want to thank Cubs fans for their support all season, especially right now, and let everyone know that I'm doing OK," Colvin said in a statement released by the Cubs on Monday.

cadarnell said:

god he seems like a great kid ... very well spoken.

i'm pretty sure a Cubs PR person wrote that for him.

Teebob2000 said:

Y'think??

cadarnell said:

I'm crestfallen ... useing the dictionary to try and fit in here ...haha

cadarnell said:

ok .. so now I'm looking up the word useing ... not in there ...doh !!!

Every time I read the word "puncture" in reference to a human body part, I get all dizzy. I HATE that word.

which is why i dont get shots...

sloan peterson said:

The worst, I've said before, is when they SHOW the needle to you. Why not blindfold the patient first, and then kind of sneak up on them?

Why not develop star trek technology where there's no puncture? Also, I want the new flu vaccine that comes in a patch.

baturkey said:

That's in the works:

"Getting vaccinated for the flu or other infections could become as easy as pressing a patch onto the skin--no shot in the arm required"

Yeah, I heard about the patch, that's what I want. But I want even more the air spray star trek thing.

secdelahc said:

Not only that, but then they count down or tell you exactly when they're going to poke you. Just gimme the shot and don't tell me when it's gonna happen!

cadarnell said:

I remember when I was a kid I told my mom I wanted the shots I saw on star trek and not the ones I kept having to get ... haha ... I wanted to be beamed to school too. .. a little too much star trek I guess.

sloan peterson said:

When our building had automatic doors installed at the entrance, a poll was taken as to what other features the door would have-(keyless entry,security badge access,etc.) My suggestion of the door noise from Star Trek was not the only one apparently, as the office of the building sent a email saying sound effects were not possible.....

Teebob2000 said:

Cough cough *nerds* cough

cadarnell said:

hate off days ... I'd even settle for the JV team again just to see Q and the boys tonight.

Dmband said:

another reason not to go to Cubs games. I very rarely say this, but good job FBI!

cadarnell said:

you know attendance is off when you can't even get a terrorist attack around your park on a night you are playing, but instead a night Dave Matthews is playing. Maybe he was one of the people Matthews poured poop on ??? ..haha ... sounds like the FBI punked him ..