Cubs Monday Headlines:

Tribune Photo by Jose Osorio

The Ricketts family showed up at Wrigley yesterday to thank everyone for spending so much money on such a horrible product. Tom wants you to know that he knows they're horrible too. You don't have to tell him.

"Obviously, we're very disappointed in the record," said Ricketts, whose club fell to 70-85 with an 8-7 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals in the Wrigley finale for this season.

"The players are disappointed. The fans are disappointed. Obviously, the family is disappointed. There's that, first and foremost."

Quite a bit of disappointment floating around these parts, eh? But disappointment isn't going to sell seats for next year, so Tom has another message for you.

"But behind that I think there's some really encouraging things going on. Obviously, we're playing up to our potential now, or at least closer to our potential, and that's been very encouraging.

"I think that from the baseball standpoint, how the organization has been doing this year is very encouraging. So I think that while this season wasn't our best on the field, I think we're really building a great foundation for the future."

Jeff Samardzija did his part to contribute to the disappointment on Sunday.

In fact, command was virtually nonexistent for Samardzija, who walked seven and gave up 7 hits and 8 runs in 41/3 innings.

The Cardinals took an 8-0 against the Cubs, who rallied in the late innings but fell just short before an announced crowd of 38,057.

Mike Quade wants Samardzija to know it's all about command.

"It's a big challenge for Jeff to get his command where he wants to be," Quade said. "There's a lot of good people in this organization who have been working with him, and there's two very good people (coaches Larry Rothschild and Lester Strode) up here. He'll keep working, but that's the deal. It's about command."

Quade also had words of advice for Starlin Castro this winter.

'I told him to go home and first rest and then work like heck on his defense,'' Quade said. ''I don't care if he never picks up a bat because he hit great. There's nothing like playing the game [to improve] -- and if he could play a month's worth of games in winter [ball], it would be a big help for him.''

And the Cubs sucked more at home this year than they have in over 10 years.

The Cubs closed out their Wrigley Field portion of the schedule Sunday against the Cardinals with an 8-7 loss, not all that surprising given the final home record (35-46) was the worst since Jim Riggleman's last season of 1999 (34-47).

HackWilson09 said:

What did I say 2 weeks ago? 4 1/3 innings of pure ass. His starts look like ends.

I checked out his Game Log for September -- appropriately named for something floating in a toilet -- and what I like best is his Strikeout-to-Walk ratio in 3 starts: 14-to-7, for a 0.500.

That is friggin' epic.

Samziidamardszjsiaija is being considered for the rotation next year.

Hendry is a fool who can never seem to let go of his expectations, and it is WE who get to watch his false hopes for talent play out on the field, always for about 3 years too long per failure, long after their trade value has somehow broken through and dropped through the cellar floor.

this is always my feeling about Hendry, too. he just can't let go or admit he was wrong.

i can't believe we gave Spellcheck $10 million and a full NTC. GAH.

To Jim's support, at least he ensured that Samaardradjskfjdsapfa didn't become a productive player in the NFL...that would have been a huge waste.

HackWilson09 said:

Hate to say this, but the jury is out on Colvin and Cashner too. We could be looking at Matt Holliday and Joe Nathan, or we could be looking at Jacques Jones and Kyle Farnsworth.

So...

Do we all know our Cubs history?

Can we read stats, like Colvin's high K's and low BB's throughout his career, Minors included? I have slightly higher hopes for Cashner, but with relief pitchers, there is a major mental aspect, and he has yet to strike me as either a smart or fearless or unhittable pitcher.

Love the Starlin. No worries there. The blind squirrel found a nut!!!

Teebob2000 said:

So then it's true what they say about Hendry??

sloan peterson said:

The fact that both Ricketts & Quade feel the organization and coaches,etc are ok is not a good sign....

The fact the Ricketts feels that Jim Hendry is ok is not a good sign. You couldn't ask the young kids to do much better than they have this year. It's the rest of the crap that we've already guaranteed $604,000,000 of next year's payroll to which is bad. The Cubs have plenty of young guys on the team, but if they can't get better production out of needed veterans on this team, whether it be ones that are here right now, or from some other veterans acquired in a trade or via free agency, this team is going to suck...even if the greatest coaches in the world were on this team.

Edelweiss said:

We can't be sure of just what Rickets does think. He would never make his negative thoughts public.
Lets see if he can unload his albatrosses in the off-season.

cadarnell said:

spellcheck sucks and that game sucked !! ... I wish Q would have put a better pitcher out there to try to give the fans a good going away present ... and beat the FREAKIN CARDINALS for god's sake !!

I went to wrigley for 2 games on this home stand, and they one them both....obviously this team fears my wrath. I'm fairly sure that makes me a qualified candidate for manager.

Dear Jim Hendry,

I'm awaiting your call.

Love,
-Doc

cadarnell said:

turd ... hehehe ... plenty of turds there to choose from though, and he picked the smelliest ... P. U.

cadarnell said:

my comments won't go where they are supposed to ... argh !! .. the smelliest comment was @Hack

HackWilson09 said:

Well, if Q is kind enough of a baseball man to save our best for the Padres, I have to give him props for that. Z wanted to pitch for his mom at Wrigley, but the Cubs owed it to the Giants and Braves to "throw the turd" on Sunday.

Bear Down!

I'm so torn about this...

I really want Lovie Smith fired...but I hate losing to the Packers.

A 3-0 record would pretty much guarantee Lovie Smith would be back next year.

BOO!!!! I can't win either way!

I really don't think Lovie is the problem, but I DO want to see Jerry Angelo fired.

So bored today, you guys.

Gawd, this season has sucked!

This was how most season were before you started this blog. You've been lucky the last 3 years. We've all be lucky the last 3 years.

cadarnell said:

I think you're onto something Doc Blume. Luck is a big part of it, and early this year we just were constantly on the wrong side of it ... never to recover.

Tonight's game thread will be a joint Bears/Cubs thread. Y'all come back now, y'hear?

sloan peterson said:

I know the games on WGN- where are they playing?

I'm trying to put together a time line of all the things the Cubs did wrong this season. Feel free to email me with your low points.

Umbra said:

Remember when they put Z in the bullpen? LOL that really happened.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

They had to! Once Caridad failed as the right-handed setup man, who was to compliment John Grabow in the 8th inning role? And Carlos Silva was just so gosh-darned good.

cadarnell said:

may 4th, 5th, and 6th swept at the pirates .. looking back, that was a sign of things to come ...