Cubs Monday Headlines: At Least Everyone's Happy About the Bears

Aug. 12, 2010 - San Francisco, California, U.S. - Chicago Cubs Pitcher CASEY COLEMAN  watches play action from the dugout against the San Francisco Giants.
Thanks for ruining the shutout streak

The Brewers' offense stunk, but the Cubs' was worse. My hope of a scoreless rest of the year was squashed on Sunday in a 2-0 defeat to Milwaukee.

After blanking the Brewers in the first two games of this series, the Cubs fell victim to Yovani Gallardo, who stymied the Cubs for 7 innings. The Milwaukee bullpen did the rest, the Brewers salvaged the finale 2-0.

The Cubs got a pretty fair pitching performance from their own starter, with manager Mike Quade finding little fault with rookie Casey Coleman.

Coleman gave up doubles to Gallardo and Ryan Braun in the fifth and wound up working 6 innings of 5-hit, 1-run ball.

Mike Quade was so proud of the little guy.

"Better than creditable," Quade said of Coleman's game. "You just run up against Gallardo, and it's just a tough day. He did fantastic. Kind of strange, a pitching dominated series with these guys. I don't know if we've seen too many of those.

"Good series today. The kids battled today. Gallardo's tough. We've got to give him his due."

Quade added, "I don't know if we've seen too many of those because I never paid attention to the games before I became manager."

One thing Mike Quade has in his favor is that he's not afraid of numbers.

Quade spent time with Oakland, which is known for its use of numbers. He said he didn't feel threatened by that.

"Huge, huge number organization," he said. "But 'jamming it down my throat' is probably not accurate because I'm a skeptic in a lot of ways. But OK, let me see your numbers and let me look inside them. I love that. I've always been a guy who likes to do that. I learned a lot, things I agreed with and things I didn't. Being exposed to that was huge for me. I think anybody who aspires to do this benefits from paying attention to stats and those kinds of things.

"But then you can look at a situation like, a guy's got like a 12 percent chance of scoring if you bunt the guy. I'm like, wait a minute. The guy that's hitting right now is hitting like .090 against the guy so why not?"

And just when we thought we didn't have anything else to look forward to this year, Carlos Silva goes and strains his elbow. Why does this matter, you ask? Emergency starter time!

Samardzija learned Sunday he would get his first major league start since 2009 on Monday in St. Louis when the Cubs announced after a 2-0 loss to Milwaukee that Carlos Silva was scratched with an elbow strain.

"Sometimes you get pulled into the office for bad things, and sometimes for good things I guess," Samardzija said. "Sounds good. Ready to go."

AndCounting said:

I'm so glad Spellcheck is making a start. I might not watch it, but I'm glad it's happening.

you clearly don't remember what his starts look like.

Cubs Psychologist said:

I'm just glad it's not on WGN which means I would be obligated to watch it.

HackWilson09 said:

His starts look like ends.

Rear ends.

Four and a third innings of pure ass.

baturkey said:

LOL well said.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Word to Big Bird

cubby23(eric) said:

Maybe the Bears could've used his blocking on that goaline attempt that went nowhere.

Red Sox have called up Rich Hill from AAA.

Still plenty of time for him to come back and win the Cy Young this year. You'll see!!

HackWilson09 said:

I can't decide which is my favorite memory of Rich Hill.

The time he pitched successfully in relief, striking out 5 of 6 batters... or the start against the young Pirates team, during which they figured out that his pickoff move was SO SLOW that they could actually steal on it, and run all day.

I had never seen a pitcher's pickoff move get stolen on before, and I have never seen it since. Why this guy was never permantly transformed into a reliever is beyond all logic. Too many holes in his game, but he had one hell of a curve ball.

my favorite memory of rich hill is when umbra said he gets that "i saw terrible things in the war" look on his face before he falls apart.

it still makes me laugh.

cubby23(eric) said:

Like in the playoffs vs. Arizona at Wrigley in game 3, in the first inning after the lead-off home run he gave up to Chris Young?

baturkey said:

Hill was on the mound for the Barrett/Pierzynski game.

please please please let him pitch when the Orioles play the Red Sox next week, that would be just a hilarity of ex-Cubness

I don't understand all these people who love Spellcheck.

HE IS BAD AT BASEBALL.

AndCounting said:

Are you worried that he will pitch poorly? If he does, so what? Cancel the postseason plans?

Or are you worried that he will pitch well? If he does, oh no! Would it be terrible if he shows improvement? Would it kill the Cubs to actually have the guy they're paying $2.5 million this year and $2.8 million next year to actually start in the majors near the close of this dead-end season? I don't understand what the alternative is.

It would be ridiculous for the Cubs not to see if the 15 starts at AAA this year have helped him turn things around. There is just no better testing ground for him than right now. They made the effort of making him a starter. Putting him in the bullpen now would be idiotic. Not playing him at all would be a total waste. If they give him a chance and he shows progress, that doesn't mean he's guaranteed a spot on the team. If he has one or two abysmal starts, make the transition to reliever a permanent commitment. Either way, the Cubs will know more than his existing 308 batters faced at the major league level can tell them.

i'm afraid he'll pitch well, get slated for a spot in the starting rotation next season, then go back to sucking, but they'll leave him in the rotation because he "earned" his spot.

And not take him out until he's lost 15 games and is hopelessly lost out there, because that's what they do. I'm with you on this.

AndCounting said:

That makes sense. Because if he pitches well, surely it will be a fluke, not because he actually got better. It's probably their best bet just to not let anyone pitch, since the fans have never thought any pitcher would ever be any good.

now you're starting to get it!

on y Boys last night he got mentioned as getting the win, it went something like this

"I was at the Cubs game, Samardzija got the win, strange game"

bwahahahahahahaha!

sloan peterson said:

I think some fans think that if Spellcheck leaves the Cubs, he might pull a Maddox and get really good for another team...

Maddux was really good before he left the Cubs.

I've been a guest on Oprah twice. Know what I got? A FREAKIN' MUG.

I'm pretty sure getting to say "I was a guest on Oprah twice" is supposed to be your prize

at least according to them

sloan peterson said:

I forgot to ask, did you get to touch her hand or anything?

yes, i talked to her for a few minutes on the way off the stage. she was lovely--we talked about my sister-in-law working for Heifer International and what a great organization it is.

She wears a LOT of makeup. Her eyelashes looked like tarantulas. LOL

but i want to go to Australia.

I want a unicorn, its still not happening

I think Oprah should invite students on to her show and then pay off their loans, I think that is a better use of money than Australia

sloan peterson said:

SNL once did a geat skit on Oprah and her giveaway shows. They had dummy limbs flying around, women having hysterics, etc.I always felt a little sorry for the people who got the "favorite things" show the year she gave nothing away and talked about recycling,etc.

how much does it suck to go to the show after the cars, seriously, just missing out on getting tickets to the day before

HackWilson09 said:

I don't know if I'd want to be on Oprah.

And I'm pretty damn sure I wouldn't want Oprah to be on ME.

You were on Oprah?

sloan peterson said:

I think Cubbiejulie was in the audience. Myself, the only way I ever would have been on Oprah would be if I was in a panel with Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny,the Tooth Fairy, & Bigfoot, discussing my belief in the Cubs winning a World Series...

No, I wasn't in the audience. I was a guest. Limo, hair and makeup, the whole shebang.

It was great when Max and her got into a fight on stage. Chairs flying and everything.

not to mention the part where Max pulled Oprah's wig off. that was awkward.

The most awkward part was after he pull the wig off and he said, "It's a man, baby! Yeah!"

sloan peterson said:

Was it one of the local Friday shows? A sports blogging show? Or were Max & you marriage experts? My interest is peaked....

sloan peterson said:

piqued I know...

the first time i was supposed to be on talking about how no one tells you how much motherhood sucks sometimes, but that segment got bumped and i was just in the audience. The girl whose segment they did use got 2 years of free nanny care. i went home and tried to off myself.

a few weeks later, a producer called me because she and I had been discussing the ramp-up to the Iraq War, and I told her that my dad and I were on opposite sides of the debate, while my brother was sitting on the USS Abe Lincoln ready to be the first planes into Baghdad. So my dad, Max and I went on to talk about that. We got picked up in a limo, go our hair and makeup did, and my dad told Tom Freidman to shut up. It was awesome.

Orpah has done a lot of work with Heifer International, so after the show I talked to her about that for a few minutes.

Also, I'm pretty sure my dad is now in love with her.

Well, that's not very exciting. What happened to the chair throwing? Boo!

sloan peterson said:

I thought that was the Steve Wilko show...

I was just reminded that Rich Hill is a local Boston kid, now I hope he pitches well at Fenway

I'm such a sucker for a good story