Cubs Manage a Come-From-Behind Win. No, I'm Not Kidding

marmolsoto.jpg

Photo courtesy Chicago Tribune.

I think we've finally figured out the key to a winning season for the Cubs: no one can watch.

The less people watching a game, the better they seem to play. Take yesterday for example. Many of us didn't even know there WAS a game, and the Cubs manage a rare come-from-behind win to steal one from the Astros:

Geovany Soto's solo home run in the eighth off reliever Wilton Lopez gave the Cubs a 5-4 win, with Carlos Marmol saving the game for Andrew Cashner.

After allowing four runs in the second, Coleman wound up not allowing another run in a six-inning stint.

Coleman got off to a bad start before settling down, giving up four runs on four hits and two walks in the second inning. The Cubs answered back with three in the third, including a two-run homer by Marlon Byrd, and tied it in the fifth on Jeff Baker's RBI double.

The Astros came in 8-4 against the Cubs, and had a respectable 47-38 record since June 1, after starting out the season 17-34.

I know it's hard to believe this team is 9 games over .500 since June 1, but apparently that's the case.

Don't look now, kids, but someone is on the comback trail:

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Mark Prior struck out two batters in a scoreless inning Sunday in his debut for the Triple-A Oklahoma City RedHawks.

Prior stranded the bases loaded after allowing a pair of singles and walking a batter in the fourth inning of Oklahoma City's 9-1 loss to the Omaha Royals. It was the first game for the former first-round draft pick and All-Star pitcher after signing a minor league deal with the Texas Rangers.

Prior is trying to make a comeback after two shoulder injuries forced him to miss the 2007 and 2008 seasons. The right-hander went 42-29 in five years with the Chicago Cubs and was an All-Star in 2003.

He started his comeback in the independent Golden Baseball League last month before being acquired by the Rangers.

Can a Cubs signing be far behind?

Some of you may have noticed that Darlin' Starlin wasn't in the lineup yesterday. I know those of us complaining about it on Twitter noticed. Today, we get Mike Quade's side of the story:

Every day he seems more relaxed in his role as Cubs manager, and on Monday, Quade made his boldest move yet, benching star shortstop Starlin Castro after the rookie forgot out how many outs there were during an at-bat in the seventh inning of Sunday's 18-5 loss to the Mets.

Instead of downplaying the mental gaffe, Quade opted to teach Castro a lesson in hopes that it won't happen again.

"Every so often it's better for a player to observe than participate," Quade said. "I thought he really should watch a game or so and sit with some very smart people on my staff and kind of keep an eye on things and maybe reflect a little bit. He's had so much thrown at him, but I think sometimes step back, take a look at things, give a guy a couple days ... lapses of concentration and stuff, maybe he can reflect on."

It was a tough-love move that some in Quade's position might not even consider, knowing it would hurt his chances of winning without having his hottest hitter in the lineup. And with a limited window of opportunity to prove what he can do, every game is magnified for Quade down the stretch.

Stretch? What stretch? We're not in a stretch.

If only Mike Quade had been manager while Theriot was still here.

Carlos Silva returns to the rotation tonight as the Cubs take on the Astros at 7:05 pm.

sloan peterson said:

I like to think the Cubs won, because I was watching and cussing at them all the way. Re Castro: last night during the LA/Anaheim Angels-Oakland game, there were 3 outs and NEITHER SIDE knew the 3rd out was made- the umps had to tell everyone the side of the inning was over.The LA Angels sportsfools admitted they lost track too,and accused the umps of getting in wrong. 2 innings later they apologised, after viewing the tape. Does this mean both teams should be benched too?

AndCounting said:

Ah, not watching. That's probably the wisest advice ever given to anyone anywhere ever. I probably won't follow it, but it worked yesterday!

maddog says he hasn't watched a full game since may.

that's dedication.

The only full games I've watched since about that time were when they came here, but that's mostly because I can hear the cheering in my apartment and wanted to stymie the curiosity.

oog of ulams said:

Since the 5th inning of opening day. Maddog's got nothing on THIS apathy.

you've been noticeably and sadly absent this season. i blame you for me being in such a bad mood all season--no oog around to make me laugh.

sloan peterson said:

One of the highlights were a mom and son in the bleachers, holding up signs telling people to have some pride, and not do the wave. Bob Bremley said the other day was the first time ever in Wrigley, that he had seen the wave go all the way around...

this is the inevitable result of the disneyification of Wrigley.

its so annoying, and one of the things I've always loved about Wrigley is nobody telling me I need to calisthenics during the game. they do it at every single game at Fenway, literally, playoff race against the Yankees, sure lets to the wave in the 7th inning, yeah why don't you all actually pay attention to the game instead

Max Power said:

Yeah, now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever seen that. At the Metrodome in the 1980s, however....

I can tell you that earlier this year the wave went all the way around a couple times as well. I'm sad to say that I have attended both of those games.

3 groups of season ticket holders in my area got up and left on saturday when that happen. One guy said "Castro, the bullpen and the wave? That's it...I'm out of here."

I love Cubs fans, a losing team, players that get suspended by the team, jacked up ticket prices, and the wave is the final straw

I completely agree

In a bit of good news, it looked from Geo's post-game interview yesterday that he's been staying away from the salon. Let's hope he's strong enough to stay on the wagon.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with his eyebrows.

he's not supposed to look like joan crawford.

Oh...thank goodness. That's been weighing heavily on my mind all season.

Ok...here is my idea...

The Cubs new manager next year should be Lou Piniella.

I'm serious.

About 10 games into the season, and the Cubs are like 2-8, Lou retires again and Mike Quade becomes the new manager and then the Cubs go on and win 2/3 of their games for the rest of the year and win the division.

Well?

plamorte said:

I like this idea.

Last week I went to Andre Dawson day...and only about 18,000 other people went as well...I'm wondering how many people will show up with me to the Billy Williams statue day thing tonight? Judging by most of the people that have actually gone to the games this season, most of them won't have a clue who Billy Williams is anyway.

if you're doing the wave at Wrigley, I'm going to guess you don't know who Billy Williams is.

As for me, he's my all-time favorite Cub.

sloan peterson said:

I've always hoped that at some ballpark, they would introduce a "Ushers taser anyone attempting the wave policy." But that's just me- I'm the dummy who just wants to watch the game, not engage in group stupidity....

I don't know if I should admit to this or not, but I don't think I've ever been to a player's day because of the player, its usually an accident, I just don't think that far ahead I guess

baturkey said:

Don't worry, soon there won't be enough people attending games for the wave to go all the way around.

always a silver lining

what's so silver about it?

the reflection off chips in the paint of empty seats

ah! Yep...very silver.

sloan peterson said:

Well, if the Ricketts spring for a private plane to bring me to the Cubs home games, I could help fill an empty seat....

um...hey...if you get a private plain...the least they can do is send a bus up to get me from Madison.

sloan peterson said:

I think you have a better chance of getting that trip from Madison...

secdelahc said:

I actually managed to watch the game yesterday for the first time in a long time. So, maybe that's the key to the Cubs winning.

secdelahc said:

Why the hell does every MBA feel the need to use the word "utilize?" It really doesn't make you seem smarter. Just say "use."

In other news, I'm ready to be done with classes today. I've been going since 8am and still have 2 1/2 hours left. Ugh.

Edelweiss said:

Now that I have totally lost interest in the Cubs, they will probably win the rest of this seasons games.