Chicago Cubs Thursday Headlines: Nyjer Morgan Upstages Ricketts

Trib Photo by Phil Velasquez

Tom Ricketts was busy looking like that and the Cubs won a series against the Pirates. Yes, the Pirates. But none of that compares to Nyjer Morgan's day yesterday. At bat against the Marlins, Morgan had a fastball thrown behind his back. He thought it would be a good idea to charge the mound. Just as he gets to Chris Volstad, Gaby Sanchez comes out of knowhere. Please click on that link to watch the video, as MLB won't let people stream video like any other site on the web.

As for the game, Tom Gorzelanny got hit by the 27th line drive of his career. This time it hit him in the right hand.

Gorzelanny was knocked out in the third when Jose Tabata lined a shot off his right hand. The left-hander, a former Pirate who is a native of nearby Evergreen Park, Ill., departed for X-rays.

"That was very scary," Tabata said. "I saw the ball and I thought it was his face. In the moment I froze. I hope he's better. I feel bad for that."

After Gorzelanny left, five Cubs relievers combined to allow four hits the rest of the way.

X-rays were negative, but inconclusive. He's scheduled to have a CT scan today.

While Tom Ricketts is selecting ridiculous eyewear, he's not yet imposed himself in the managerial selection process. Yet.

"It's Jim's responsibility to go out and find a new manager," Ricketts told Cubs beat writers during a brief chat after the rededication of the Harry Caray statue. "What he'll do is he'll create a shortlist, and I'll meet with him on the shortlist.

"Jim's out there. It's his responsibility to bring us the shortlist and talk the names through and come up with the right answer."

(snip)

"No, the fact is, it's Jim's job to decide which manager to bring in, but it's about winning," Ricketts said. "I don't think we need a marquee name to sell tickets. What we need is a team that produces on the field. That's what's most important to us."

After some reservations when the Cubs announced the move of the Harry Caray statue, Dutchie Caray embraced the move and stood by a dorky looking Tom Ricketts yesterday.

"You can't buck City Hall all the time," Dutchie said Wednesday after ceremonies for the statue. "So I knew that I had to change and I'm very happy that I did. I'm happy that I came to the conclusion they really are honoring Harry and it's very, very nice of them to do what they did. They could've taken the statue down and left it somewhere as far as that goes. But I think it's beautiful. I'm very happy with the outcome and it's just a lovely tribute to Harry."

That clothesline of Nyjer was one of the funniest things I've seen in baseball in a long time.

that was a nasty fight, I can't believe Listach though, that seemed a little much for a coach

um, Jim you still going to interview him?

sloan peterson said:

I watched the video twice- how did Listach get in the bottom of the heap so fast?

sloan peterson said:

I love Morgan's reaction as he is going off the field-"Yeah!! Booyah! Expetives!!! Also was cracking up watching Marquis try to get in the fight,but not too hard...

sloan peterson said:

Okay CN- Ive signed in 2 times now, and yes its "expletives"...

cadarnell said:

seems like if you hit a guy as a pay back, you should realize that you just put him on base. If he then steals on you, I really think it would be a good thing to just let it go. I know it was a blow out, but his team was losing and he did score by stealing. The second time they threw at him wasn't called for at all. The fight was good though ....

yeah, you intentionally put a guy on, and he gets a bruise in the process he can steal on you, pick someone else as payback that won't steal

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

What I don't understand is, the Marlins threw behind Morgan because he stole second and third after being hit the last time. The Nats were down ten runs. I'd understand if they were up ten runs and he was running, but aren't you still supposed to play to win when you're down?

cadarnell said:

I'm lost on it too ..

plamorte said:

Yup, ESPN was talking about the "unwritten rule", so it's baseball code you give up when you're down by 11? Screw that, I'm glad he stole 2nd and 3rd and Volstad throwing at him the second time wasn't necessary. The "clothesline" from Sanchez was ok at best, it was more of a swinging chop to the neck, which sounds cooler.

but it was funny how fast Nyjer went down.

secdelahc said:

That was absolutely hilarious! Why can't the Cubs amuse us with a bench-clearing brawl?

Agree. They at least owe us that much.

cadarnell said:

but we have all those amusing ceremonies.

I'm thinking we need a "Tom Ricketts Will Officially Stop Acting Like An Over-Grown Frat Boy" ceremony.

Cubs Fan Report said:

Decent baseball fights are hard to come by, but this one was pretty sweet. Let's just appreciate it for what it's worth.

that's the best one sinc Mark Grace v. Frank DiPino, unless you count Z running out of the clubhouse waiving his belt over his head, but he never really made it to the fight (which I still think it a crying shame).

If the Discovery Channel gunman has issues with over-populaton, he should have gone after TLC, not the Discovery Channel. TLC is all shows about little people and people with 10,000 kids.

my boss just gave me a pink bag with a book in it called "the anxiety and phobia workbook."

[insert Krusty the Clown "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" noise here]

um . . JUST you? Or did everyone get one?

Just me.

sloan peterson said:

The followup question should be are you giving people anxiety and phobias,(hard to believe) or does your boss think you have phobias/anxiety? Almost everyone in the work place has anxiety...

After seeing the brawl last night...I think I now want Pat Listach as our new manager.

He can say whatever he wants...

But Tom Ricketts is only going to let Jim Hendry choose the next manager as long as he chooses Ryne Sandberg.

cadarnell said:

it really needs to be girardi or sandberg if hendry is into self preservation ... anyone else combined with any level of failure next season would be really, really bad for him...

jtbwriter said:

Good morning from hot and smoggy :( So Cal-]
That's just sad-do you think he/she was just hinting? I know being a Cubs fan can inspire sympathy, but a book?

HackWilson09 said:

I know what Ricketts is now. He finally let it slip:

"But the fact is we have a really strong fan base. Hopefully, we'll put a very attractive product on the field next year -- and we did pretty well this year even with kind of a tough season -- but hopefully next year we'll get it back up to where it was three years ago."

Let me repeat the key phrase:

"a very attractive product"

This has nothing to do with baseball. When people like Ricketts and McDonough and McFail and Kenney let stuff like this slip out, they expose themselves for what they are, and they tip their hands with regards to what they must spend most of their time talking about in the board room. It's all about marketing a product that makes them the most money.

Forget the stupid glasses -- this simple phrase is the thing that kills what little optimism I had left about the new ownership.

cadarnell said:

I hope the the rocketts realize that.. very attractive = very deep in the playoffs.. EVERY YEAR!! ... Im sick of losing.