Tuesday Cubs Headlines: All Quade On The Western Front

quade.jpg

Photo Courtesy Chicago Tribune

Striking a blow for Uncle Fester fans everywhere, last night Cubs Manager Mike Quade extended his unbeaten streak from none games to one. And don't think he doesn't know we're all watching:

WASHINGTON -- Mike Quade isn't going to pretend he's not auditioning for the Cubs job in 2011.

"I guess," he said. "The thing to say is, 'Oh, no, no, no. But, no, it probably absolutely is. And for me, the thing you've got to be careful about is you've got to do what you've got to do. It's a generic statement, but it really is (true). I know what I've done in the past and how I've gone about it. And I've been around so many good people. You have to be yourself. You just have to approach it and do it my way and whatever happens happens.

"But in some way, shape or form, it absolutely is an audition."

Yes Mike, we know.

Ah, but what kind of maniacal ideas are hoppin' and a boppin' around inside Quade's head, now that he's returned from exile over at 3rd base? Taking a dive to get a higher draft pick? Taking the kids out of lineup? Taking over the world?!?!?!

In his first stab as Cubs manager, Quade decided to insert Blake DeWitt in the leadoff spot, move Alfonso Soriano down to No. 7 and rest Kosuke Fukudome against right-hander Livan Hernandez in order to get Tyler Colvin back in the lineup. Colvin is hitting only .179 in August, and former manager Lou Piniella gave him only nine at-bats during the recently completed seven-game homestand. He's batting sixth tonight.

Quade said he spoke with bench coach Alan Trammell and said "to be honest with you, I wanted to get him out of the top of the order." The idea of using DeWitt at the top was because of his on-base percentage (.392 since joining the Cubs).

Oh. Um  . . . huh. Hard to argue with that.

And for those of you who thought you saw Bobby Dernier in the dugout last night, it wasn't just the booze:

Personally, I think Quade looks more like Lord Voldemort.

he has a nose.

It's detachable. He wears it just to fool muggles into thinking he isn't a dark wizard.

(I'm in the middle of reading all the Harry Potter books, if you haven't noticed. I'm almost done with the Goblet of Fire.)

AndCounting said:

More Skeletor than Voldemort. Plus his face is too round. Maybe if Voldemort and Cornelius Fudge had a baby?

AndCounting said:

I love a coach who deals in probable absolutes. It's really interesting to me that Hendry wanted a guy in place who had a shot to keep the job. Maybe that seems like an obvious factor in choosing an interim coach, but they use the word 'interim' for a reason. Based on Hendry's explanation of why he didn't pick Trammell as interim manager, I expect him to lift the interim tag from Quade in mid-September. Basically, how Hendry has handled the Sandberg situation reminds me of how a lot of bosses I recall have handled other aspiring job candidates: they keep them out of the prize job openings by deferring them to other positions that feel like promotions but really aren't.

I have said this before, and I'll say it again...

I love Sandberg, and I want him to be a manager...and I think he'll be a very good manager. I want him to be successful.

I don't want him to manage this team. My last statement..."I want him to be successful," well, I don't want him to manage the Cubs and fail like the last 24,032 managers of the Cubs have been. I have no reason to believe, for circumstance not under his control, that Sandberg can succeed as the Cubs manager.

I want him to manage somewhere else. Maybe he can take over the Yankees job when Girardi bolts New York for the Cubs. Maybe the Red Sox will hire him after Theo Epstein loses his mind and fires Terry Francona. Sandberg can take over for Joe Torre in LA. I just don't want him to become a shell of a man after this job sucks his soul out of him.

There are plenty of other good candidates out there (include Mike Quade)...let one of them (not Joe Torre) get destroyed by this job.

AndCounting said:

I think I'm past wanting anything on this front. I just think Quade's gonna get the job.

Teebob2000 said:

I guess I'm missing something. Who among Cubs managers over that last 20 or 25 years has been reduced to a broken, quivering, frightened imbecile, doomed to live out his last miserable years curled up on the floor of his padded room in the asylum?

Anyone whom this job (or any MLB-level manager's job) would "break" probably wouldn't be in line for the job in the first place.

Lee Elia, of course, is the exception that proves the rule.

The fact that, until Riggleman and Baker took jobs over the last couple years, no Cubs manager has ever managed again kinda speaks volumes.

Teebob2000 said:

I think it says more about the people they've historically picked (i.e. they were BAD at managing) than it ruined them for life. Zim made it out OK, too, metal plate and all.

what WERE Hendry's reasons for not hiring Trammell? I never heard what they were.

AndCounting said:

Well, his reason for not hiring him on an interim basis was that he didn't want to hire him on a permanent basis. He didn't say why he didn't want to hire him on a permanent basis.

Lame explanation, I know, but what his words fail to express his actions have communicated pretty clearly. Whatever Alan Trammell lacks, Mike Quade might just have. Maybe Hendry just wants someone nobody will expect to be the answer so that any improvement the Cubs make will reflect much more directly on Hendry himself. (ooh, it's like I'm playing office politics again, exciting!)

that's what i mean: why doesn't he want to hire him on a permanent basis?

AndCounting said:

I'd like to do a spoof on this where we show Jim Hendry dismissing managerial candidates for the reasons Jerry and George break up with girlfriends. I suspect Alan Trammell has man hands.

Bobby Valentine--tractor story

AndCounting said:

Fredi Gonzalez opens pickle jars naked.

That's true. And that's a skill that comes in very useful at Wrigley Field.

But Max's improve group can't do that one.

Joe Maddon--wears the same outfit every day.

AndCounting said:

Joe Torre wants Jim Hendry to wear a frilly pirate shirt.

Ryne Sandberg-- close talker.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Bob Brenly has fungicide in his medicine cabinet.

Edelweiss said:

For jock itch.

Edelweiss said:

That's not a pickle!!!

Hendry didn't give any reason...Trammell was a Lou pick, and while he was available in 2007 for the manager job, Trammell wasn't considered then.

I have no other reasons, though. It is a bit dumbfounding. I can only assume that the Rickettses have given a bit of an order that drastic changes must be made, and Trammell might be looked at as just a younger, less volatile version of Lou.

i feel like i need to get Max's improv troop to make this a reality.

Edelweiss said:

Interim managers are usually people who don't want the job after the term is over. When our principal quit, I was made the acting Principal to close out the semester, because I was not interested in the permanwnt job. It is possible that they already know who they want, or that they don't want anyone to have an unfair advantage, which being acting manager would be.

HoboHanson said:

La Di Da Di we love Mike Quade. He don't cause trouble. He don't bother no body.

exactly.

Wrong...you'll see...he's all Tom Riddle now...but he'll change and grow into evil. You'll see.

thisyearcub said:

Quade Quade Quade, can't you see, sometimes your words just hypnotize me.

Dubsdread18 said:

my 'absolutely, no question about it, pat' vote for cubs manager is santo. why not. at least cubs games would be must-see tv.

I'm fairly sure Ron would be dead about 3 innings into the first game.

yeah--there's no way Ronnie survives, but it would be entertaining.

HackWilson09 said:

So Quade is scrapping the notion of playing Colvin at first. And why? Isn't it worth a look?

Now there is talk of behemoth Adam Dunn coming here. Now, does giving a 4-year deal to a 31-year old player a good idea after watching what has happened to Ramirez, Lee and Soriano? Or are the Cubs just exactly this stupid? That's also ignoring his career .251 average. I know, I know -- he draws walks and gets on base, and hits home runs, but because of his attributes, he seems to max out at 100 rbis and kill a lot of rallies in the process. He reeks of a typical Cub player who feeds off bad pitching.

Just say no. Especially when the team will be well-stocked with these lefty bats that it claims to need -- for the next 5 years. Add a guy like Dunn to Colvin, DeWitt and BJackson, and suddenly your lineup is half lefty, making them vulnerable to certain teams.

All that being said, give me Adrian Gonzalez instead.

I hate the idea of moving Colvin to 1st...

First, this team has been looking for a right fielder for 6 years now and finally has found one. KEEP HIM THERE.

Second, it will be easier for them to find a first baseman in the offseason than it will to find another right fielder.

Third, I truly believe that they are having serious thoughts about moving Ramirez over to first base as he starts to hit the twilight of his career. Those ideas might have been slightly derailed as Josh Vitters suffered through a bad season this year.

I think people are vastly underestimating how good Xavier Nady can be as well. If the team gives him ABs for the last month of the season, I think he'll do very well. In fact, if you look at his number this season, the months he has had more ABs, his number have been not too bad...the months with the fewest ABs, his numbers have suffered.

HackWilson09 said:

I think the problem with Nady is that they rushed him back from his TJ surgery. I really don't think he's healthy. I often wonder how this team's chemistry would have gelled if Nady was left to a couple more months of recovery while we held his spot with Kevin Millar. It couldn't have hurt, and I was sorry when Millar was cut. They REALLY had fun in ST with him around, and cripes, for a 24th or 25th man, why bother with Chad Tracy... Water under the bridge.

You never react to the Brett Jackson comments -- I suppose it would not hurt to give him another season and a half to cut down on his strikeouts, but I can't wait to see him. I suppose by then Byrd or Soriano will be heading out.

So in the grand plan, you have Aramis at first base and DeWitt at third? Making room for who to play second base? Please don't say Brian Roberts.

i would love to see Adam Dunn come here.

unfortunatley, I think this "talk" is wishful thinking from other Cubs bloggers.

whoops--i take it back, just saw the post on mlbtr.com

"With the caveat that free agent destinations are difficult to predict in August, Adam Dunn and the Cubs are an agreeable match. The Cubs badly need a left-handed power bat at first base, and Dunn is a fan of Wrigley Field and Cubs GM Jim Hendry, based on comments he made to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. ESPN's Buster Olney guesses that a four-year offer from the Cubs would seal the deal. The Cubs currently project to have the sixth overall pick in the 2011 draft, which will be protected if they sign a Type A free agent who turned down an arbitration offer.

Dunn twice mentioned his ongoing contract talks with the Nationals in his conversation with Wittenmyer. How likely is an extension? According to MASN's Ben Goessling, team sources "are skeptical that the Nationals will re-sign the first baseman before he hits free agency." What's more, one Nationals source says the team's braintrust "loves" Carlos Pena. Pena has slumped to a .213/.338/.439 line in 2010, but he won't require a four-year deal. As a Scott Boras client, I wonder if Pena prefers a one-year pact."

I agree.

There will be other, fairly good, first basemen available this year, though.

I want to go watch Z pitch tonight, but its looking like rain is probable here. Boooooo

slacker

sloan peterson said:

Think of all the people marooned on the West Coast who would love to sit in the rain and watch Z pitch. Come to think of it I'll settle for the rain-currently 96 degrees,21%humidity going up to 104 degrees 31% humidity. Rain sounds better....

I personally don't care about rain. I don't want to go and have a rain delay or postponement.

i'm tired of being hot.

i'm so ready for fall.

You. Shut your mouth. Now.

make me.

It is cold here today. I'm not ready for fall.

i wish it was cold here.

You are such a prima donna.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

It's a beautiful day in Indianapolis. 82 degrees.

sloan peterson said:

Is it humid?

sloan peterson said:

The worst part is getting fall catalogs and realizing that the only way you can wear most of the clothes is to leave the state.....

FrankS said:

Well, then do it. Goodness, we can get 3 of the 4 seasons in a single day here in Illinois. Or move to San Francisco and live by the bay.