Friday Morning Headlines: Rob Dibble Sucks At Life

Thumbnail image for krusty.jpg
Yes, I know I keep using this image over and over. But it's kind of an on-going theme for this season, don't you think?

Hey, I'm headed downtown in a heat index of 103 for court his morning, so this is going to be an abbreviated headlines. In this increasingly do-it-yourself world, I know you guys won't mind less product from me and more effort on your part. Just think of LOHO like an airline. We are now charging for teeny, tiny pillows.

Before we get to the disaster that IS the Chicago Cubs, please take a moment this morning to understand and acknowledge what a giant douchebag Rob Dibble is:

"Those ladies right behind there, they haven't stopped talking the whole game," Rob Dibble said in the sixth inning of Wednesday night's Nats broadcast. "They have some conversation going on. Right here," he said, circling the offenders. "There must be a sale tomorrow going on here or something....Their husbands are going man, don't bring your wife next time."

Get it? It's funny because women don't like sports, and so when they accidentally wind up at a baseball stadium and deign to open their mouths, they have to be talking about something that women are interested in. Like sales. Probably on clothes or shoes or maybe makeup, though that wasn't specified.

"All right Bob, now they're back there, they're eating ice cream and talking at the same time," Dibble noted in the top of the eighth.

"I just got an e-mail that said there's a lot of women who come to the games -- while their husbands are the ones at home -- because they love this game," Carpenter noted, briefly touching base with the 21st century. "Tread carefully, Mr. Dibble."

"My wife loves to come to the game, but they're right there, still talking," Dibble countered.

Did you hear that, guys? Don't bring your wife to baseball games! She might talk through the whole thing, which she probably doesn't understand anyway, and like, spend all your money and stuff!

Thanks for the warning, Rob. It's a good thing all the MALE corporate jerkoffs I see at Wrigley yakking on their Blackberries talk about nothing but OBP and the minor leage draft, right? Hey, it's a good thing they don't let women work outside the home or drive cars or anything--imagine how much they've have to talk about then!

I can only imagine the outcry if Dibble had made a similiar comment about a racial or religious minority. Can you imagine if he'd said "Hey, look at those black guys behind homeplate? They've been on their beepers the whole game--probably checking out the latest gangsta rap or looking to buy some weed. Fella's don't bring your black friends to the ballgame!"

I know that Rob Dibble has the intellect of a grapefuirt, and therefore I should consider the source and laugh it off, but it's hot and I'm in a bad mood. But if the Nats don't want to alientage their entire female fanbase, which is rather large, I would consider making Dibble issue on apology.

If you caught the game yesterday afternoon, I'm really sorry that the Cubs got your hopes up with the big comeback before they crushed your soul.

Pat Burrell homered twice before Torres' bases-loaded single in the bottom of the ninth inning bailed out a bullpen that blew a 4-run lead in the Giants' 8-7 victory over the Cubs on Thursday.

"He's a pretty good pinch-hitter to have in that situation," manager Bruce Bochy said. "That's a good win when a team comes back from 4 runs down and ties it on you."

The Cubs, who lost for the 14th time in 17 games, dropped three of four in this series, losing them all by 1 run. The Cubs are 13-29 in 1-run games this season, the most losses in the majors.

Pat Burrell.

Did you hear that, people? PAT BURRELL! The guy I didn't want to trade Bradley for? Remember him? He's hitting the ever-loving TAR out of the ball these days. Meanwhile, Milton Bradley is hitting .205. This is appropos of nothing, but I just wanted the change to point out that Milton Bradley is hitting .205.

But hey---enough about the Cubs, let's talk about you! While I'm toiling away in court this morning for the good of mankind, please give us the following:

1. 5 random songs on your iPod (shuffle--no cheating!)

2. The best movie you've seen so far this year.

3. The most over-rated movie you've seen so far this summer (cough!Inception!cough!)

That should hold you a) until I get back and b) until the Cubs take on the Cards (gulp) tonight at 7:00 pm CT.

Happy Friday, kids.

Teebob2000 said:

We can NEVER get enough product from you!

Teebob2000 said:

Hahahahahaha. Women talk a lot, about women stuff. It's funny because it's true.

Teebob2000 said:

I Can Dream, Can't I - Ruth Brown
D'Yer Mak'Er - Zep
Psychedelic Shack - Temptations
This Sky - Derek Trucks
City of Blinding Lights - U2

Haaaa, Rob Dibble is awesome. Seriously, one of my least favorite thing in the world is a group of women who babble incessantly and wont STFU. He said what was on the minds of a lot of guys.

really? What if he said what was on the minds of a 'lot of guys' when it comes to a group of African-Americans? Or Hispanics? Or Muslims?

One of my biggest pet peeves are people who are militantly against every -ism but sexism.

Yeah, I know, but I'll never accept your logic because I am a misogynist!

and aside from that, it's a stupid thing to comment on. If we see two guys sitting behind homeplate talking the whole game, should we assume they're talking about hookers?

this is the same kind of mentality that led to people thinking Erin Andrews 'deserved' to get stalked in a hotel room.

Yes, I think that would be a fair assumption that they were probably talking about sex.

baturkey said:

Goodbye, Good-Looking' - Robbie Fulks
Narrow Your Eyes - They Might Be Giants
A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request - Steve Goodman
Animal - Neon Trees
Somebody Told Me vs. Pjanoo - The Killers vs. Eric Prydz

baturkey said:

Kick-Ass is my favorite movie this year.

Inception is rated so highly it's hard for it not to be overrated.

meh . . . It was well done, and i've loved christopger nolan since 'momento' but i'm so ovver the relatism of reality them. It's beyond played out.

them = theme

and I don't want to hear that if I didn't like it, I didn't 'get' it. I got it. . . I just wanted it to be smarter and more thought-provoking.

plamorte said:

"Go" - Pearl Jam
"Manifest Destiny" - Guster
"Back Seat Confidential" - AC/DC
"Freeze Dried (F)lies" - Local H
"Crawl" Kings of Leon

I can't think of my favorite movie so the ones I have seen weren't good enough to stand out, though I liked Despicable Me and Toy Story 3. I haven't even seen Inception so that's overrated to me already because of everyone splooging a bit when they talk about it, but I'm gonna go with "2010 Chicago Cubs" as my least favorite movie.

'Despicable Me' was super-cute and much funnier than I expected it to be.

Most overrated movie: 'Inception'
For underrated, I'm going to go back a bit and say 'I Am Legend.' I was terrified by this movie . . Not in the typical scary movie way, but in a deeper, much more visceral way. The complete devolution of society and the subsequent evolution of order by mutant vampire freaks without a shred of humanity touched that place inside me that not only scared me but also made me sick to my stomach and left me uneasy for days.

I kept hearing that the movie wasn't as good as the novella, or even as good as 'Omega Man,' but I completely disagree. And while I did like the ending in the novella better, I thought the moving was equally upsetting.

I Am Legend was ok, it was even good, and everyone knows I adore Will Smith, but I'm not sure it was underrrated

The ending of "I Am Legend" was just flat out wrong, and it ruined the movie for me. The twist at the end of the book is what made the book such a classic...and they just threw it out and turned into crap.

well great, not I have to read the book

thanks for that, blah

We watch movies all the time, yet for some reason I can't remember a single one I've seen this year.

Except for A Serious Man, which was really a movie from last year that I only got around to seeing this year. Loved it, btw.

I really really want to see 'Farewell.'

I go to games with my friends, and we talk about all sorts of things, including the current stats of players and who we think should be traded

how is this an issue, its a baseball game, I'm not chatting about the cutest strappy sandals I just got while sitting in a movie theater or church or something

it's just the idea of singling out a group and speculating that theyzlre not watching the game and guessing what they're talking about based on stereotypes.

it's unacceptable for every single group but women.

I don't know, personally I loved where he basically said that women shouldn't go to the ballpark, evidently its 1916 in his mind

baturkey said:

I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in Leviticus.

Yeah, but the girls Dibble was pointing out were. Undoubtedly.

how do you know? That's like me pointing out a gay couple and saying you can tell they're swingers with no morals based on how they look.

And there's a chance you could be right. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

But really, when a bunch of bimbos stand around talking non-stop for 3 hours... yeah. There's nothing but talk of shoes and whatnot.

My point, moreover, is this. Someone (man or woman) who runs their mouth for 3 hours straight isn't saying anything worth listening to. And given that they did happen to be women, this is probably what they were talking about.

I don't like stereotypes of idiotic, money-hungry, gold-digging bimbos because those arethe same kinds of things abusers use as an excuse to hit their wives. Those stereotypes are funny to some, but to an unbalanced abuser, they reinforce his view of women and backup his feelings that women are know-nothing idiots who deserve to be controlled and dominated.

I get that, but that's like maybe only tangentially related?

how about this?

His comments were ignorant and misogynistic, and if I ever see Rob Dibble in person, i'm going to punch him in the face.

Umbra said:

Now you see the violence inherent in the system.

help, help! I'm being repressed!

The only problem I have with this is that I am a pacifist.

Wait...

AndCounting said:

5 songs (no cheating):
Alison - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
We Walk - R.E.M.
Momentum - Aimee Mann
And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind - Neil Diamond
I Do But I Don't - Tim McGraw

Best Movie of the Year - Inception
Most Overrated Movie of the Year - Inception
Best Trailer to Make Fun of at the Theater as They Reveal the Entire Plot from Beginning to End in 3 Minutes - Charlie St. Cloud

Umbra said:

I went to see Inception with a very fun theater crowd. At the end of the movie, everyone GASPED and it was fun. They also laughed at the 5 second shots of the van falling in slow motion, because face it, those were pretty funny.

But I knew it would be a fun time from the start because everyone started snickering at Charlie St. Cloud and it eventually built to a full-on derision and guffaws as each trope was piled on.

songs to live by:

Bad Bad, Leroy Brown-Jim Croce
With a Little Help From My Friends-The Beatles
Snowblind-Styx
Exhuming McCarthy-R.E.M.
The Crunche-Led Zeppelin

And I haven't seen any movies this summer.

Teebob2000 said:

Again with the Styx? You truly are a Blue Collar Man.

HackWilson09 said:

Only five?

While You Were Sleeping - Elvis Perkins
The W.A.N.D - The Flaming Lips
Here Comes the Sun - Richie Havens
Sawdust and Diamonds - Joanna Newsom
Steal My Body Home - Beck

Karate Kid is my pick for best movie of the year.

I have kids and haven't seen a lot of movies, but Despicable Me sucked a lot more than I thought it would. Like the Cubs...

oog of ulams said:

Judas Priest - Rock Hard, Rock Free
Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man
Miles Davis - Black Satin
The Clash - Ivan Meets G.I. Joe
oooh more the Clash! - Spanish Bombs

2. The Wrestler

3. Crazy Heart

still haven't gotten around to crazy heart on netflix, but i love the song.

Crazy Hart was not a bad movie at all... If it had been an actor other than Jeff Bridges, I'd probably say "meh." He made it good.

well, that sucked.

(that = court)

Umbra said:

As Official Resident Social Conservative and He-Man Woman Haters Club Founding Member, let me be the first to deride the double standard displayed here at LOHO.

Do you remember earlier this week when that guy and his girlfriend were at the game and he dodged, ducked, dipped, dove, and dodged out of the way of a foul ball that hit her in the elbow? And everyone got on his case? And he was on the jumbotron? And Twitter? And Youtube? And ESPN? And The Early Show after they broke up?

From here:

"

"In normal human life, if a foul ball comes your way, you know what men do?," Smith said. "They stand up and they catch the foul ball. That's what men do."

"Oh," Wydle replied sheepishly.

...

Wyble said if he had the chance to relive that night, he would stand in front of his then-girlfriend and let the ball hit him in the back.
"

I'm shocked- shocked!- by the gender bias on display here, as if women are made of porcelain and might break if hit with a mere baseball. This is just a trope devised by the Patriarchy to subjugate women into thinking of themselves as weak and as perpetual victims in need of saving. Women can be cowboys and astronauts and doctors and lawyers and nurses! They can also be hit by baseballs and not have anyone care!

To an unbalanced abuser, these stories like the one you referenced reinforce his view of women and backup his feelings that women are know-nothing idiots who deserve to be controlled and dominated and saved from flying objects.

/snark

iTunes
1. Guyamas Sonora- Beirut
2. 1973- James Blunt (I do a mean JB impression)
3. Nicotine and Gravy- Beck
4. Don't Eat the Yellow Snow- Frank Zappa
5. Apache- Incredible Bongo Band

2. Best Movie of the Summer: Inception.
3. Overrated: Toy Story 3. Not a bad movie, but coming from Pixar my hopes couldn't be much higher.

oh shut up.

my issue with that idiot was that he SCREENED her until the last second, then jumped out of the way right before she got nailed. that's wrong no matter what gender you are. if i did that to max, he'd never speak to me again.

I haven't seen the video, is that seriously how it happened? he got freaked at the last second and bailed?

yep.

he stood up like he was going to catch it the whole time (in front of her so she couldn't see it) and then, right as it got to him, he jumped out of the way. she got nailed.

yeah, thats just wrong, I don't' care who it is

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

But I feel like it's been played as a lack of chivalry. Had it been two guys or girls together, rather than a boyfriend/girlfriend, would it have gotten as much play?

i'm sure not.

but i don't buy the argument that women not being made fun of on tv or being treated equally in general means that all social niceties go out the window. women don't want to BE guys. we just don't want to be treated like something lesser.

But generally, we're smaller and weaker. Men shielding our bodies from flying objects is a good thing. I don't think not wanting to be made fun of on tv means that someone bigger than yo shouldn't protect you.

my point is that I don't equate intellectual equality with physical equality. I wouldn't let a ball hit my kids and then say "well, you WANTED to be treated like an adult!"

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

But they heal faster!

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

And I understand your point of differentiation between the two. And I understand a little better why you love Jamie Fraser so much. BTW, I'm halfway through An Echo in the Bone. Are you going to get the graphic novel?

sigh. Jamie Fraser.

that's a big negatory on the graphic novel.

Teebob2000 said:

I'd jump on top of -- er, in front of you to protect you.

Umbra said:

You need to watch that video again. You are free to give whatever rationalizations you wish and are not bound by the words of Harry Smith, but the reason why they were on TV was because of the transgressed chivalry and gender norms that you find infantilizing and rail against in this post.

Harry Smith: But you didn't [swear] because YOU *points* are a LADY, and you *points* are a MAN, and the MAN gets...you are supposed to... That's what you do. You go to the ballgames, you're with a girl. It's like when you go to the carnival, right? You're supposed to win the big cupie doll. You're supposed to catch the ball and then hand it to her, and she goes, "Oh ho ho!", right?

I GET that's why they were on TV. I'm not stupid. But the reason *I* thought he was a jerk was because the ball came from the right. He was sitting to her right. He made like he was going to catch it, and then he jumped out of the way. That sucks.

Harry Smith? Like from the CBS Early Show? You watch the CBS Early Show?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

It's the closest he can get to Charles Kuralt.

Umbra said:

I need a good dose of anger to make it through the day, and the Today Show and Early Show are excellent at enraging me.

yeah, if I'm at a game and there is a foul ball, I'm might try going to go for it and my date be darned, if I get it I get it, if he does I do not expect it to be become mine because I'm a girl

there is a double standard, I want to be treated equally but secretly like having the door held open, does that minor act get my feminist card revoked? I hope not, because I don't expect the door to be held because I'm female, but because its a nice thing to do

but there are double standards along this line in all aspects of life, too freaking bad, do you really think that we end up with some huge advantage when you compare them?

can a girl get an amen?

I think its just a reflex. Like "be brave, be brave, oh fuck that thing's coming fast"

Umbra said:

He said if he could do it all over again, he'd take a baseball to the back. The man is only guilty of losing a ball in the lights and having a working visceral nervous system.

My new computer is here! Oh happy day!

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Fivers:
In The Future When All's Well: Morrissey
Enemy Fire: Ryan Adams
What a Crying Shame: The Mavericks
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing: Pet Shop Boys
Nolite Timere (Mark 16): Benedictine Monks of Saint Wandrille de Fontonelle

Haven't seen anything in the theater this year, but I liked (mostly) The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I don't remember watching any other movies at the moment.

Overrated... I dunno.

I've heard "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" is as good as the book. I find that VERY hard to believe.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

It's quite good. One thing that bothered me about the movie was that they changed the motive behind the serial killings. I just didn't understand why they needed to change it. I think the casting and performances are great and it really catches the tone of the book. I'm just eager to see the next two.

I've heard the book is rambling and makes no sense

oh. . . no. i wouldn't say that at all. i haven't been so excited about a mystery novel since i discovered perry mason books in like, third grade.

i LOVE these books.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

The one thing you have to deal with is all the place names. It's set in Sweden, so there are long place names and you have no idea where they are. But if you can deal with that minor inconvenience, the books are really really fun. I love them too.

I've actually starting learning Swedish because of the books.

I think they're a good example of what happens when a good writer writes a mystery instead of some coming of age saga with lost loves and voices across the cornfield and all that crap.

Umbra said:

I want to read TGWTDT, but I haven't finished Nancy Drew #33: The Witch Tree Symbol.

Har Har. I was like that about it, too. Then I got bored and it was just sitting there so I read it. And learned that I was wrong.