Derrek Lee Traded To Atlanta Braves

Per Dave Kaplan, the DLee to Atlanta deal is done.

What's most surprising to me, and possibly speaks to the Cubs' penchant for giving players way more $$ than they deserve, is that none of the other 29 teams claimed DLee off waivers.YIKES.

Waiting to see what prospects the Cubs get in return, but they're not likely to be big time prospects.

UPDATE: The Cubs are getting three prospects in return.

UPDATE: LHP Robinson Lopez (19), RHP Tyrelel Harris (23), LHP Jeffery Lorrick (22) and cash considerations in return for DLee. Not sure if I have the names right.

Summary of my Twitter feed on Hendry and DLee's post-game presser:

DLee talking to media. He looks little shellshocked, but says this trade "just felt right; chance to go to post-season is hard to pass up"

DLee: timing didn't seem right with Angels. Angels were close, but not right there. Gonna be weird to play for ATL at Wrigley on Friday

DLee looks somewhat conflicted and super-handsome. LOL

DLee: I had a great time here, but we never acheived the utlimate goal. The rest of my experience here was nothing but positive.

DLee: I don't like to talk about my injuries, we all have them.

DLee: Hardest part is leaving teammates, he's been with a lot of these guys a long time, as well as their families.

DLee: Worst part will be being on this field again in a different uniform. Different, but exciting.

DLee: Sometimes it's even more fun competeing against your friends, because you can talk a little trash afterwards.

Oh God, now DLee talking about 2003. (hits mute)

Q: Is this a hard decision? DLee: (pause) I thought about it for a long time last night.

DLee: It's hard to feel like you're running out on your teammates, but at the same time, it was a good opportunity on the other side.

DLee: Chicago is a great place to play, it's fun to play in front of passionate fans.

Godspeed, Derrek Lee. And flights of angels sing thee to they rest.

plamorte said:

WHO BROKE THIS NEWS I CAN'T REMEMBER?!?!?!

Whoops---Cubs get 3 prospects for DLee AND cash considerations.

sloan peterson said:

What? No caviar??

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Two cases each of Coke from the countries of origin of every Cub.

Per Hendry, Hufflepuff will be called up for tomorrow.

@WrigleyBound: I like Tyrelle Harris, who has been a strikeout machine out of the bullpen. Just now reaching age appropriate league (AA, 23 yo)

While I have no idea who those guys are, I seriously expected something like a 29 year old AAA player, or a A ball player with no future. The fact that they got three warm bodies (I'm assuming they are NOT corpses) is more than I expected.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

And I'm breaking the news that each of these prospects has no fewer than three limbs! YOU GOT IT FIRST HERE!!!!!

I don't have a response to this other than LOL

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I'm afraid logging into twitter might melt down my iphone.

Proggy said:

Not to nitpick and disappear yet again, but Derrek Lee probably shouldn't be included in Hendry's list of overpaid players.

Even with the bad year this year and the '06 season lost to wrist troubles, he on the whole performed right at his contract.

yeah . . You're probably right.

Hello, stranger.

cubby23(eric) said:

I never thought he'd agree to a deal so this is a surprise.

MillsChC said:

One of the Braves front office guys just gave his explanation of how Lee cleared Waivers:

1) None of the contending teams need a 1st baseman.
2) Lee vetoing the Angels trade earlier, scared off any non-contenders from trying to claim him.
3) Most other teams didn't want to take on the rest of his contract if the Cubs let em go.

But, he also said that DLee was the only guy in all of baseball to fill the need of a big bat to anchor the Braves want in the middle of their lineup... so what does he know?

Good luck in the postseason Derrek.

I'm just surprised it was the BRAVES that were willing to take on salary and give up prospects. It's not like anyone thinks they'll go deep into the post-season.

cadarnell said:

what happened to that "it's all about my family" talk ... seems like it was "all about the post season" to me ... oh well ... he was gone anyways ... and who knows, maybe one of these kids can throw a strike now and then ..hummm?

I guess his family was okay with it this time. It's closer to the end of the season, the Braves are a more solid contender than the Angels, etc. Who knows? But at least we got something for him, which is huge.

Arkansascubfan said:

The Cubs sent cash to Atlanta in order to get some decent prospects instead of a 29 year old Class A ballplayer.

Jeez people--do we need to have a group counseling session over this?

I, for one, am thrilled.

i;m pretty happy that we got ANYTHING for DLee. after he invoked his NTC last time, I thought for sure we'd get skunked.

right, exactly. Like I said before, I expected them to say to the Braves, "Really, we don't need anything, just take his salary."

I know they're paying a little bit for the Braves to take him, but not much, and they got 3 players in return. Who cares what quality, the fact that they could even get roster filler at this point is really kind of astounding.

And while I like Lee, and he seemed like a great person, I wasn't endeared to him the way I was with Ramirez, Sosa, Sandberg, or Maddux. I do hope he gets a good chance to win after having serve on this suck ass team the last several years.

cadarnell said:

"And while I like Lee, and he seemed like a great person, I wasn't endeared to him the way I was with Ramirez, Sosa, Sandberg, or Maddux." .... dito !!