Cubs Thursday Headlines: Cubs Sweep by Nats in Wild Card Race

July 11, 2010 Los Angeles, CA..Chicago Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez  at bat in action during the Major League Baseball game against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium July 11, 2010 in Los Angeles, California..The Dodgers defeat the Cubs 7-0.Louis Lopez/CSM.

The Mike Quade-led Cubs continued their undefeated march to the playoffs with a series-sweep-completing win over the Nationals last night. Despite the win, was last night the first chink in the armor of the great new manager of the Cubs?
Quade did it his way Wednesday night, lifting Dempster for a pinch-hitter in a scoreless duel against Jason Marquis in the eighth inning. Dempster had thrown only 79 pitches and seemed to be upset.

"He wanted no part of coming out, and he wasn't happy about that," Quade said. "And that's OK. I don't want guys happy (to leave). ... I couldn't live with myself if we're tied in the eighth we don't try and do something to win the game. It wouldn't matter who (is pitching), but it's always more difficult when it's somebody who's giving you a heck of an outing."
But in the end, who was right?
But pinch-hitter Tyler Colvin drew a leadoff walk off and eventually scored on Starlin Castro's RBI single off Tyler Clippard.

Aramis Ramirez soon followed with a two-run homer and Alfonso Soriano added a solo shot in the ninth. Relievers Andrew Cashner and Carlos Marmol finished it off.
Ryan Dempster, I want to hear you say who was right.
"That's his decision as a manager, and I stand by that as a player," he said. "I'll do whatever the manager tells me to do. Do I want to come out of the game? No. He knows that. Everybody knows that. But there are way too many positive things that came out of today to worry about that."

After being a consummate team player in going to the bullpen this spring, Carlos Zambrano finally had a chance to speak the truth about the matter. I can't say that I disagree.

"What do you think?" he replied. "The situation we were in, when they moved me to the bullpen, it was kind of weird. But at the same time, they needed somebody in the bullpen in the eighth inning. We were losing a lot of games in the seventh, eighth innings. I think from my perspective we get too desperate too soon. To make that decision, that's OK. But you know what? I'm trying to finish the season strong and trying to be consistent and prepare for this last month."

Big Z was smart to make these remarks just before he left the country.

Carlos Zambrano, who traveled late Tuesday night to Venezuela, where his 11-year-old nephew is fighting a deadly bacterial infection, is expected to return to the team Saturday in Cincinnati. He's scheduled to start Monday at home against Pittsburgh.

I'm sure that's a scary situation and I'm glad the Cubs allowed Zambrano to go. In other Venezuelan news, Carlos Silva is going to Peoria.

Carlos Silva is scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment Friday with Class A Peoria.

He'll be on a limit of about 45 pitches. Silva has been sidelined since leaving his Aug. 1 start because of arrhythmia, and he had a minor surgical procedure to correct it about a week later.

Go get 'em, tiger!

Zambrano being quoted sounding rational? what happened to the Crazy Z conspiracy?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Gordon Wittenmyer in today's Sun-Times:

"And like it or not, part of that is because they consider Carlos Zambrano in next year's plans, at least for now."

Wow.

Maybe we should have made Big Z interm manager. That's a better analysis of the situtation than I've seen from anyone else in the organization.

Disagree, they should have given up at the first game of the season.

Dubsdread18 said:

as a sox fan i'm loving that the cubs blogs have all become nothing but witticisms of tragic comedy. it nice to also see the annual august cub talk of 'next year's plan' is in full bloom. ahhhh, it is a pretty sight indeed. but northsiders can once again take solace in this year being free from the horror of inevitable post-season collapse. stay thirsty my cub friends.

so . . . you're saying we DON'T have a shot at the wild card?

Dubsdread18 said:

i'm loving your gallows humor. please continue.

HackWilson09 said:

Why do Sox fans concern themselves with what Cubs fans are doing? We don't give a crap about YOU!

This defines the White Sox fan base. They won a friggin' world series a few years ago, but they still live in a great degree of self-inflicted pain. Like the ugly step-sister that won a beauty contest because everybody thought she was so nice. But she can't just sit back and enjoy it because her handsome step-brother gets all the attention, and frankly looks, acts, sounds and smells far more attractive.

nah, most Sox fans don't care about the Cubs a whole lot as far as I can tell

funny though, this morning someone told me they were in Chicago once, and of course had to go to a White Sox game, and thought Wrigley was great

sigh, I had no response

Dubsdread18 said:

great analogy but your step-sister isn't that ugly, man. good to see the hack wilson moniker. haha. maybe starlin castro will someday turn into someone you can name yourself after so you can be, well, more this century.

1 flaw in your reasoning, some of us aren't all that confident about next year either

Dubsdread18 said:

correction. i didn't say you all were confident about next year. i just admire the way cub fans diligently maintain their living document called 'next year's plan.'

HackWilson09 said:

I have a response to this.

Every time the Cubs made the playoffs, except maybe the repeat year of 2008, was a TOTAL surprise. New blood, new management, a couple of career years, and this team is back on top of a weak division.

Ain't nothin' wrong with next year. For us, it's the only year there is, as far as we can tell.

cadarnell said:

I'm proud to have the term "wait til next year" associated with a team I cheer for. I think it shows that cubs fans are forward thinking and optimistic. I think the sense of humor that most cubs fans possess about the whole 102 years thing is really a great thing ... we'll win it all someday and after that I hope we are still the kind of fans we are now... the "fun at a party type" .... cheers cubs fans !!

sloan peterson said:

Not being a native Chicagoan, I decided to research exactly why the White Sox are more superior in your worldview. The Chicago White Sox have won 4 world series-oh take that back 3- the 1919 championship was taken away due to the Black Sox cheating scandal. In modern times, the White Sox won 1 pennant, in 1959 and of course the World Series of 2005. So it's not like comparing say a Yankees history to the Cubs,more like the Arizona Diamondbacks being compared to the Cubs.

i need a day game to listen to

Edelweiss said:

Was in my car dealers lounge waiting for my car to get serviced, and was perusing magazines, when I picked up a copy of Windy City Times. One of your favorite Cubbies was shown in his underwear,
smoking a cigar. Shame on him for smoking.