Cubs Monday Headlines: Triumphant 4-2 Road Trip Finished

Apr. 16, 2010 - Chicago, ILLINOIS, UNITED STATES - epa02120332 Chicago Cubs right fielder Kosuke Fukudome (L) and Cubs center fielder Marlon Byrd (R) nearly collide as they both chase and miss a fly ball hit by Houston Astros right fielder Hunter Pence in the fourth inning of their Major League Baseball game at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois, USA 16 April 2010. Byrd was charged with an error on the play.

Mike Quade can ride his chariot back to Chicago with his head held high, the owner of a 4-2 managerial record. It looked like the Cubs had a good chance at 5-1 after heroics by Kosuke Fukudome. Unfortunately, Fuky also decided to not be heroic.

Kosuke Fukudome hit a 2-run homer in the top of the eighth inning to tie Sunday's game at 5-5, but a tough throwing error by Fukudome enabled the Reds to score 1 of 2 runs in the bottom of the inning as Cincinnati won to open a 5-game lead over St. Louis in the National League Central.
I'd like to introduce our new regular feature here at LOHO: Quotes from Quade:

"Ah, man," Quade said. "Like my first-base coach (Bob Dernier) likes to say, a good fistfight. We didn't end up winning it, but God, they played like a son of a gun.

"We did leave some people on base (10). We pounded on the door all day. We've gotten some big hits on this road trip, and it's been wonderful.

"We got a few today, but we just needed a couple more. I happen to be greedy. You get locked up in the seventh or eighth inning with a club. Whatever the 4-2 was, 5-1 would have been better."

No word on whether or not Quade uses compound sentences. Not only is Quade returning to Chicago a hero, his family will be there to greet him.

"My folks are coming in (from Florida). They'll be in the middle of the week. It'll be very exciting for a lot of people."

Probably millions of people.

Now that Lou Piniella is tucked safely away in Tampa, the bullpen rookies have started pitching well. Do you think Quade was paying them to suck so Lou would leave early?

In the Mike Quade era, rookies Andrew Cashner, James Russell, Marcos Mateo and Thomas Diamond have combined for 8 2/3 scoreless innings, allowing four hits while striking out 15.
Russell said they've seen "both ends of the spectrum" with Piniella and Quade.

"Lou is a totally different personality than Quade," Russell said. "It's not that we mesh better with Quade, we're just playing better. We'd have liked to have done it for Lou, but it just so happens it didn't work out, but it has for Quade."

Aramis Ramirez notices the parallels between 2006 and this year, and gets a dig in on the Reds.

''Dusty's a good manager,'' said Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez, denying that any of the success in Cincinnati surprises him. ''His last year here in Chicago, he just didn't have the good players. We were kind of like this year, a lot of young guys. And you can't win like that."
(snip)
''Dusty's a winner wherever he goes,'' Ramirez said. ''He went to the World Series in San Francisco [2002], he went to a playoff here [2003], and I think he's going to the playoffs this year with Cincinnati. And they don't have that good a ballclub. They got a decent ballclub, but he's getting the most from everybody.''

cadarnell said:

"they (the reds) don't have that good a ballclub" ... hahaha ... you tellum rammy !!!

So Manny Ramirez is going to the White Sox? Um...yeah...good luck with that.

cadarnell said:

sad thing is he'll probably hit 480 and take um to the post season ...

Trust me...he'll destroy that team. He'll get the to the post-season and then they'll go nowhere...(well, the Sox will sweep the Cubs out of the playoffs before getting trounced by the Rockies), and then he convince the Sox to give him a contract extension...then he'll destroy the team and cause Reinsdorf to get get a divorce.

sloan peterson said:

With any luck, AJ will tell Manny to turn down his boombox, and a fight will ensue. I cannot tell you how happy I am that a player I think so poorly of, is now a White Sox. I hope Reinsdorf has the $$ for all the extra testing Manny the cheater still has for this season. Not to mention the pleasure of trying to get a contract with Manny's agent...:)

i swear, i'd rather see the Cards win the Central than the Reds.

Notice how the Reds were a train wreck until they got Jockety in there to tell Dusty to stop playing JHJ and give Jay Bruce some playing time.

I'm absolutely torn about this. I'm still holding off hope that the Pirates will come back and win the division.

plamorte said:

eh, go with the Reds, their fans deserve it if anything. Also, I got a new puppy, anyone have tips? I feel like an asshole leaving him in the cage while I go to work, poor lil' guy.

it's comforting to him to be in a cage. i know that sounds insane, but being in a big, strange space is scary for puppies. make a nice, safe place for him, and he'll be happy in there until you get home.

omg--do you KNOW anyt Reds fans? they're super-obnoxious with a giant chip on their shoulder.

no thanks.

cadarnell said:

man a little better job playing catch yesterday and we had that series too ... I had to go to a fantasy draft party right after the game yesterday and be around a couple reds fans .. big smartass smiles on their faces the minute they saw me .. the only thing "good" about the reds winning it ... is it's pretty good for baseball in general to have cincy relevant again .. sux for me though..

One of my best friends is a Reds fan...and he's been posting quite a bit on my blog. His team is good for the first time in like a bajillion years and can't help but rub it in.

Max Power said:

Have faith in Dusty -- he'll screw it up soon enough.

plamorte said:

it was reported that Ardolis Chapman clocked in at 105mph the other day, Dusty has to be drooling to damage that arm come September.

plamorte said:

you're right Julie, I went to a Cubs game at Great American a couple summers ago, they were as asshole-ish as Brewer fans

secdelahc said:

Agreed. The GABP is the only ballpark I've been to where I actually felt scared.

it's because nothing good has happened in Cincy since WKRP. Which they STILL talk about like it's on the air today.

It's really tough to do that...but it's for his own good...and eventually, the puppy will think of the kennel (don't call it a cage, that has a negative connotation to it) as his own little happy place.

plamorte said:

here's a pic of Dexter http://twitpic.com/2jhxu7

I was going for a Cubs name, but fiance nixed Ryno and Ernie. Also considered was Tuffy, Dunston, Orie, Hughes, Telemaco, Turk and Milton. (just kidding).

She wanted Carlos (she loves the Z) but I vetoed. If he were a girl, I prob would have gone with Gracey. Didn't even think of Wrigley, that's way overdone for dog names of Cubs fans nowadays.

Cool!

FrankS said:

You named your dog after a fictional serial killer rather than a Cub?

plamorte said:

though I am a fan of the show, felt the name suited more-so than I was naming him after the character and I'm not sure naming him after a Cub would suddenly make it more special in any way.

Teebob2000 said:

... and the dog understands negative connotations how??

plamorte said:

don't doubt a dog's intelligence, Dexter shit on my carpet when I said "White Sox". Well played, dog, well played.

just remember: don't put human emotions on a dog. you might think a crate is mean, but to him, it's the place he stays safe until you come to get him. it's his den. dogs need dens.

HackWilson09 said:

When I watched Jockety move from the Cards to the Cubs, I knew they'd be contenders in three years. Nobody in our organization was smart enough to grab him. Always a combination of good people and bad people running this team. When will that end? Where is our Walt Jockety?

HackWilson09 said:

i meant from Cards to Reds, of course

i want my elephant! where's my elephant?

This team is still playing?

if you watched them on the field, you'd know that the answer to that question is "no".

HackWilson09 said:

We have two days left to waive goodbye to some players. This is the time that a typically overpriced player will get claimed at the last moment, because they want to pay the guy as little as possible to fill subordinate roles.

It seems to me that Kosuke may actually proved himself worthy of a claim by some contending team -- like the Red Sox, who got themselves turned down by Damon. They'd owe him a lot of money next year, but they need to do anything they can right now to scratch their way to a wild card. And lots of contenders would like a guy like Nady.

It's doubtful anyone wants Zambrano, but another performance like the last one, and who knows? But Soriano ain't goin' anywhere.

no one is going to claim Kosuke with another year still left on his contract.

and Kosuke is no Johnny Damon.

Damon Kosuke

AB 437 296
BA .270 .274
HR 7 12
RBI 42 38
OBP .357 .379
SLG .400 .456

you're right, Fukudome is...better?

grr, that did not format the way I wanted it to

I rescind that last part, 14 mil?!?!?! &)%@&)@)&*%$&*)

You just can't argue for Kosuke. Damon has a track record that is as good or better than the numbers he has posted. Kosuke is playing better than his career numbers, so teams will probably expect him to veer closer to his career averages as the season winds down. (and $14 million more!). Damon makes only $8 million this year and would cost the team that gets him a little over $1 million.

The Red Sox selection of Damon was also, partially, about sentiment with the happy memories of the 2004 team.

yeah, after the way the Sox kicked Damon out of Boston I don't blame him for turning them down

I just don't think that Damon now is Damon from his Boston, or even New York days

for a second, i thought you created a new player: Damon Kosuke.

baturkey said:

Better than Demon Kosuke.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Like a male version of the girl from Ringu?

HackWilson09 said:

Well, like so many other deals, if he goes through waivers unclaimed, then any team can make a deal. So the Cubs could send Kosuke and cash - maybe play half of that 14, and then maybe Hendry could bring in yet 3 more mediocre pitching prospects.