Cubs Monday Headlines: I Will Always Love Lou

Trib photo by Nuccio DiNuzzo

With Sunday came the news that Lou Piniella's retirement would be moved up, effective after yesterday's game. The only tribute the team could throw together in that amount of time was a 16-5 loss to the Braves. If you're up for a tear-jerker, dare to watch the last press conference of Lou's managerial career.

Let's see what some of the players had to say about Lou's last game. First, Aramis Ramirez.

''He let us know what was going on, and he made the right choice,'' Aramis Ramirez said. ''Family is first. I talked to him after the game and let him know how much he meant to me. He's been here four years and done a great job. We didn't play the way we expected this year. But he's one of the best in the game.''

Ryan Dempster:

''He's had an unbelievable career both as a player and as a manager,'' Ryan Dempster said. ''I got a chance to play under him and win a couple divisions here, which is some of my fondest memories ever on a baseball field, and I'm just glad to have that experience. And I'll remember all the good times with him."

Sean Marhshall:

''He's a fierce competitor and loved to win probably more than any of us,'' Sean Marshall said. ''He's definitely a Hall of Famer in my book. I really enjoyed him and his competitive attitude. When you play for Lou, you leave it all out there. Win or lose, if you played hard, he was happy.''

Management threw us for a bit of a loop regarding Lou's replacement for the remainder of the year.

The news as far as the Cubs are concerned is that third-base coach Mike Quade will take over as manager for the rest of the season.

Quade, a local boy, also will be a candidate for the job after this year. Bench coach Alan Trammell was told he will not be a managerial candidate. He will remain as bench coach. Ivan DeJesus likely will take over as third-base coach, and the Cubs will bring up a minor-league roving instructor to fill the vacant coaching position. That means Iowa manager Ryne Sandberg will not be coming.

Now that poor Mike Quade has to steer this sorry ship home, we get 6 weeks of debate about next year's manager. Let the speculation begin!

For Quade, this is either a really great opportunity or a death sentence. This job destroys people.

With that being said, and this is complete guesswork here, if Lou had retired 2 months ago, when we all knew the season was over, I think the likelihood of Sandberg coming up and finishing the rest of the season as mananger would have been very strong.

Fredi Gonzalez! He's our man. If he can't do it, no one can.

i'm really going to miss Lou.

cadarnell said:

I was missing him all year ... he just really didn't seem like the Lou we all knew in 06,07 and 08 ... I think he might have had off field issues all year and they caused him to just sort of mellow out. I know when a parent is in decling health it usually causes a person to start to think about their own mortality, and what's really important to them in life. And with the shitty team Hendry gave him he just sorta put it on auto pilot ... Can't say as I blame him ... man we have sucked this year ... I can only remember one stretch where we went 8 out of 11 beating good teams, but other than that, I have no memory of much good at all ... goodbye Lou .. baseball is a better game because of you ....

cadarnell said:

o7,08 and 09 ... ...cant count this morning ...

Actually, Lou was really good in 06 too...just as a broadcaster.

I think the debate could be made now on whether Lou would have actually come back this season if the team hadn't picked up the option on his contract in 2008.

I honestly thought, watching him last season, that he was about done.

thisyearcub said:

Thanks for the good times, Lou. Back to back division titles is something no Cubs manager has done. Hoping for Girardi or Torre next, still on a wait-and-see approach with Ryno.

ugh...the Joe Torre love is just dumbfounding for me. I don't get it.

Fredi Gonzalez...all the way!!!

AndCounting said:

Joe Torre may have singlehandedly tamed George Steinbrenner. What has Fredi done ever except piss off his best player and stand by as Andre Dawson whipped the kid into shape? Oh, and then get fired.

Funny, you could have said the same thing about Girardi a few years ago...

Anyway, Torre is just too old (older than Piniella at this point). I don't want another manager who is using the Cubs as his swan song. I want someone who is good that will be here for a long time. I want a Bobby Cox from 20 years ago.

I believe that guy is Fredi Gonzalez. That being said, if Girardi is available (which he won't be, so people need to stop even considering this), I'd take him over Fredi.

If Joe Torre was 50 and not 70, I'd be happy with the thought of bringing him in.

AndCounting said:

Who did Girardi piss off and allow Andre Dawson to tear a new one for? All in all, though, I'd say similar things about Girardi. I was more inspired by Girardi getting his young team to play well than I have been by his habit of almost getting in the way of the Yankees' success. In retrospect, his one year with the Marlins has to be the most celebrated 4th place finish in the history of managers. The fact is that no matter who manages the Marlins, if they are anywhere near .500 or above with that payroll, people are going to think the manager rocked when the person who deserves the praise is likely the general manager.

Joe Torre is still 5 years younger than Jack McKeon was when he finished managing those same Marlins and three years younger than when he took over to lead them to a World Series title. That isn't to say there's any correlation between age and success, quite the opposite. Saying anyone who is willing and able to do a job is too old is blatantly ageist and unforgivable!

Well, it's blatantly ageist, and if I were older, it would bother me.

Look, what I'm looking for with a manager is sustained success...and Joe Torre doesn't provide that, just like Jack McKeon didn't provide that to the Marlins.

Could Torre come in and be successful? I suppose so. But looking long term, Torre isn't the solution. If this was a veteran team with one last shot at glory, bring Torre in. But it isn't...this is going to be a young club, and what I'd want is someone like Joe Torre 15 years ago, not Joe Torre now. I want a manager that we can form a dynasty around. Joe Torre will be dead at that point.

as long as we're hoping for people that manage other teams, I'll throw my coin in Joe Maddon's fountain.

If I had a choice of anyone right now...Girardi, Bruce Bochy, then Fredi Gonzalez...then maybe Maddon.

sloan peterson said:

I was thinking that since Lou retired while playing the Reds,that the Cubs leave Rothchild there, since he originally came with Dusty Baker. That way, the Cubs could have upgraded to an actually competent pitching coach for the end of the season...

Actually, Rothschild wasn't Dusty's pick. He came with Don Baylor.

sloan peterson said:

You may be right-but if Dusty didn't bring him in,why didn't he bring in someone else when he took over?

The same reason the Rudy Jaramillo will still be with the Cubs next season....Rothschild was only in the first year of his contract after the 2002 season, and the Cubs weren't going to let him go. Dusty was pretty much told that Larry was staying, and after the 2003 season, Dusty really didn't have much say in that area after the success Rothschild had.

Most people expected Rothschild to be out after Dusty was allowed to walk in 2006, but Piniella actually was a Rothschild fan (in fact, Rothschild was his pitching coach on the Reds in 1990 when they won the World Series). That allowed Larry to hang on yet another 4 years.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Rothschild after this season is over. It think there is a good chance that if they stay "in house" with the new manager pick (Sandberg, Quade...even Listach) that he could stick around for another 3 or 4 years.

Personally, I have a couple of issues with Rothschild, but overall, looking at the results, I feel he has done a very good overall job in his 9 years with the team.

sloan peterson said:

Duh- they played @ Wrigley. Either way,have Baker take Rothchild off our hands.....

I honestly thought that Dusty was never a huge Larry Rothschild fan...and if he had been given the opportunity, he would have brought in someone different.

Dick Pole.

Exactly right. There was a reason that the bench coach for those 4 years has little experience outside of being a pitching coach. Dusty wanted to have his man near by. And in his first couple seasons in Cincinnati, Pole was his pitching coach.

Edelweiss said:

Wait...you mean someone actually has that name? I used to giggle when I heard Dick Trickle.

I thought today was an off-day? It feels like an off-day.
Then again, every day these days feelks like an off-day.

Well, they should be playing today, because the Cubs have pretty much not shown up for work for the better part of a month now.

sloan peterson said:

But if they don't play, they can't lose....

I don't know about that, they really haven't played for a couple months, yet they have 74 losses this season.

Umbra said:

I think Razor Shines would take the position if offered. I'm still holding out for The Ted Lilly Fan Club Supercomputer, but Razor Shines comes in a close 2nd.

if you're up for a 9/26 Cubs rooftop game ($70 gets you on the roof PLUS all you can eat/drink), shoot me an email ASAP.

What? That's not the week I'm going to be there!

Also, anybody want to go to the ChicagoNow anniversary party with me tomorrow night?

Wow, no thanks.

Mydnyte said:

My personal choices for the new manager would be either Girardi (assuming he has a brain aneurysm and really does want to leave the Yankees) or Bob Brenly. My only concern about Brenly is the fact that he has made it clear that he will not manage his son Michael if/when he makes it up to the major league team.

Anyone else will be also-rans, and I don't think Sandberg will be promoted directly to the manager of the MLB club from the iCubs - it would be good to pull him up as one of the coaches (similiar to the path that Quade came through) so that once the time is more appropriate, he can step right into the role.

Ryno brings a ton of sentimental positive baggage and at the appropriate time he'll be a slam-dunk for the role - but as has been opined many times, positive sentimental value doesn't always equate to a winning season.

Mydnyte said:

Although I will admit that Gene Wojciechowski wrote a column for ESPN that is very convincing towards bringing up Sandberg to start next year as the big league club's manager...made me stop and pause.

cadarnell said:

he'll get the job done this time ... it's the Ryno's destiny !!