Chicago Cubs Tuesday Headlines: It Could've Been Worse

Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Carlos Zambrano throws a pitch against the San Francisco Giants during the second inning of their MLB National League baseball game in San Francisco, California August 9, 2010. REUTERS/Robert Galbraith (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BASEBALL)

Remember the ill-fated "It's a Way of Life" campaign the Cubs unveiled this year? Wherein the W in Way is the W flag? Smart bloggers managed to figure out that this year's version was much better suited with an L flag in place of the L in Life. But another slogan came to me this morning: It Could've Been Worse. And last night when Big Z made his triumphant return as a starter. It wasn't great, but it could've been worse.

Zambrano was throwing more balls than strikes in the early going. He walked seven in his 5 innings, including 3 in the second.

A pair of double plays helped Zambrano emerge unscathed as the Cubs grabbed a 2-0 lead in the first and held it through four innings before the Giants tied it at 2-2 in the fifth. The Cubs went ahead 3-2 in the sixth.

Oh, and the Cubs lost 4-3 in 11 innings.

Before last night's game, the Cubs sent Mitch Atkins and called up another rookie to make his major league debut, Marcos Mateo. After the game, they called up Micah Hoffpauir and Wellington Castillo.

The Cubs called up catcher Welington Castillo and Micah Hoffpauir from Triple-A Iowa after Monday's 4-3, 11-inning loss to San Francisco.

Castillo will replace Geovany Soto, who will be placed on the 15-day disabled list due to his sore right shoulder. Hoffpauir will be with the Cubs least through Thursday, as Derrek Lee was placed on the bereavement list to deal with the illness of his grandfather.

Yesterday, Carlos Silva had a successful procedure done to correct his abnormal heart rate.

Carlos Silva had a cardiac ablation performed at Northwestern Memorial Hospital on Monday to fix the abnormally rapid heartbeat he experienced in Denver on Aug. 1. Silva was released after the two-hour procedure and is expected to begin light workouts by the end of the week.

And in minor league news, LOHO favorite Jody Davis is making waves in the Northwest League.

Former Cubs catcher Jody Davis was suspended six games by the Northwest League. Davis is the manager of the Cubs' Class A Boise affiliate. He refused to send his team onto the field Saturday after a rain delay at Everett (Wash.), resulting in a forfeit.

Davis argued that field conditions were unplayable. Rain delayed the start of that game by 80 minutes. Davis ordered his team off the field in the bottom of the first after left-fielder Ryan Cuneo (a 2010 draft pick) slipped while chasing a flyball. After a 23-minute discussion with the umpires, who ruled the field playable, Davis refused to return his players to their positions, reports said.

I heart Jody Davis

also, doesn't this 6 games now out do the number of games Sandberg has been suspended?

sloan peterson said:

Glad to see Davis stick up for his team!He's looking out for the future of his players! That is my second favorite story of the day;#1 being the Jet Blue flight attendent who quit after being hit by some losers luggage, and took the emergancy shute out of the plane.....

If Davis were managing the big league club, he wouldn't allow his team to go on the field because the players suck.

and that would be the most awesome coaching move EVER.

I also love Wellington Castillo, glad to see him with the team

sloan peterson said:

Re:Derek Lee's taking leave of the team-why don't the Cubs go ahead and put him on the bereavement list? This way they can staff the team now instead of later....

Do we know how long he's out for?

Hopefully for the rest of the season. If he had allowed the trade to the Angels, then he would probably would have been closer to his ailing grandfather anyway. He should have allowed the trade.

I think about DLEE refusing to waive his NTC differently after reading Doug Glanville's book and hearing his take on it on Friday. Especially as DLee's daughter has medical issues, I wouldn't be surprised if taking her away from her doctors was a concern.

I would agree with anyone that says that we don't know everything going on in his head...

But based on the things he has said, and the simple fact that Lee isn't coming back next season anyway, what really is the point of him staying in Chicago? Now, instead of going to a team that he might have the potential to play with next year, assuming he started hitting the ball, and also being in the middle of a pennant race, he will be in Chicago until the end of the season, become a free agent and end up in some place like Seattle, having to move his family in the middle of the school year. At going to Southern Cali would surround him with family and, in the case the Angels didn't want him next year, make the move somewhere else a little easier.

But we don't know everything that is going on with him. But his lack of detailed reasons continues to make me wonder if his commitment to baseball is truly that high...family issues or not.

Cubs Fan Report said:

It definitely could have been worse. If Zambrano can keep it up (without the walks, of course), we have a chance to deal him for a quality player like Adam Dunn.

7 walks in 5 innings does not make me very optimistic

The fact I didn't see his fastball top 90 mph in the 3 innings I was awake doesn't make me very optimistic either.

yeah--that's not good. it's like we saw his best stuff ever during his no-no, and now he'll never be able to pitch like that again.

Four things:

1) Hufflepuff is back!
2) I'm so tired today, I just Googled 'google.'
3) My computer is en route from Malaysia. MALAYSIA?
4) I'm sure by now everyone has heard about the plan crash in Alaska that *allegedly* claimed the life of former Senator Ted Stevens and several members of his former staff. For those of you who don't know,, a very dear and well-loved member of LOHO worked for Sen. Stevens and admired him very much. Please keep this person in your thoughts today.

sloan peterson said:

I was reading on cnn.com how Senator Stevens survived an earlier crash... Maybe this time as well...

we have confirmation now that Senator Stevens has passed away. RIP.

In response to gravedigger's question of last night, YES, I still care. I just have no computer right now with which to register my caring attitude. Which reminds me, I still need people to post game threads and headlines until futher notice. Sorry, everyone!

I've been out of commission for a while...what happened to your computer?

it croaked. my entire law practice was on that computer. my life currently sucks.

yuckers!

Well...luckily for you, I don't appear to require your services anytime soon...so that will give you some time to try to get things back in order.

Just let me know what you are up and running, then I can start robbing liquor stores again.

I still care too

sloan peterson said:

I gave my main reason yesterday.But growing up I never rooted for either the Angels or the Dodgers. I rooted for Oakland when Billy Martin was manager, and the Yankees when they sucked,just because I liked the manager,(Billy Martin again) or 1 or 2 players. Pine Tar is one of my most fond baseball memories ever! I also loved Tony La Russa/Duncan when they ran Oakland as well, So I have never rooted for either LA Dodgers or the California/Anaheim/ LA COUNTY-Anaheim Angels. So rooting for Chicago as awful as they have been some of the last 25+ years is a habit as well...

so I have a question, after admitting that I still care about the Cubs I am having problems what I care to see do I
a) want the team to tank even more spectacularly, so that the front office is forced to completely rebuild out of embarrassment, but causing me to want to see them lose after having previously complained about others wanting their team to lose for better draft picks
b) want the team to start to turn it around, making me rail about how they should have done that earlier
c) want individual players to do really well, upping their trade value and giving Hendry players to deal, but with the understanding that it might give him too much hope that the same players will be good enough to win with the Cubs next year

sigh, my head hurts

AndCounting said:

I would advise against wanting anything from this team. There are things that might work out for the best longterm and scenarios that might be more beneficial immediately with no lasting advantage. Whichever choice you decide to root for will probably not come to fruition, or so I've been conditioned to understand. At this point, expectations are the enemy.

I feel like this explains so much about my view of sports in general