Chicago Cubs Sunday Headlines & Game Thread: Cubs @ Rockies, 2:10 Central

Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella watches the Colorado Rockies score three runs during the third inning at Coors Field on July 30, 2010 in Denver.     UPI Photo/Gary C. Caskey Photo via Newscom

The Cubs lost in spectacular fashion once again last night, by allowing a cycle-completing game-ending home run to Carlos Gonzalez. But there's much more interesting news than the result of last night's game. First, we'll highlight the return of Carlos Zambrano.

The game marked the return of pitcher Carlos Zambrano from more than a month away for anger-management treatment. Zambrano worked two-thirds of an inning in the seventh, creating some trouble for himself but leaving the bases loaded. True to form, he said he could start again, and soon.

"I'm ready," he said. "I'm ready to pitch Tuesday, Thursday, whenever they want me to pitch. I'm ready to go back in the starting rotation if they want me to go back into the starting rotation."

There was something of a big trade yesterday, too. Jim Hendry got an assist from one special assistant in evaluating some talent.

if Greg Maddux ever becomes a major league general manager, he can look back on Blake DeWitt as his first move.

Cubs GM Jim Hendry gave Maddux some credit for the decision to acquire the Dodgers infielder in the Ted Lilly/Ryan Theriot deal.

"We've certainly liked him for years," Hendry said. "He's a tough kid. He's 24 years old, so his better days are way ahead of him. ... He has a chance to be a complete player. He has to be better offensively. Greg spoke highly of him, when Greg pitched for the Dodgers, and in my discussions with Greg about him a few weeks back.

"He's a guy we've always had our eye on and have asked about him in the past."

Ted Lilly said a few words on his way out, that make me like him even more. I hope he does well in LA.

"Short of winning a World Series here, I couldn't have asked for a better experience in my career. I couldn't ask for a better place to play, teammates to play with, fans to play for, all the way from the coaching staff to the front office.

"I really enjoyed my experience all the way around, and I'm going to never forget the times that I had here. This is a tough concept to grab right now."

Ryan Theriot also got a chance to speak to the media, but I don't like him any more now than I did before.

"You never want to go," he said. "Obviously, with an organization from draft day to the major leagues is something special.

"But you know in the same breath, it's exciting. I'm going to a place that has a wonderful tradition. It's obviously all about winning and have a really good chance of doing that. These guys contend every year, and I'm going there to be a part of that."

As for today's game, it starts at 2:10 Central, and can be seen on CSN and heard on WGN radio. It's Carlos Silva (10-4, 3.76) against Jorge De La Rosa (3-3, 5.15).

FrankS said:

DeWitt doesn't seem to be all that much to me. He's apparently a better player than Theriot, but that's setting the bar pretty damn low.

In the meantime, there is at least one auction on eBay featuring Ryan's Bobblehead. http://cgi.ebay.com/RYAN-THERIOT-Fishing-Bobble-BRAND-NEW-chicago-cubs-/170521503911?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b3dfa8a7 Good luck to all you bidders out there!

canopygrl said:

I'm even more fascinated that another ebayer is trying to sell one for $50... WTF! Who would pay fifty bucks?

baturkey said:

Colvin RF
Castro SS
Lee 1B
Soto C
Byrd CF
Soriano LF
Baker 2B
DeWitt 2B
Silva P

Blake DeWitt's debut is on CSN?
Barnacles.

baturkey said:

Silva out due to illness. Dave Otto: "Yeah, Mile-High illness."

hahahaha. I LOVE Dave Otto. I didn't used to, but he grew on me.

Was it Silva that gave up 4 runs in the 2nd or Russell?

baturkey said:

That was Russell.

Good Lord, did we even SHOP Silva before the deadline?

We should have.

DeWitt is 1-1 with a double. Let's see if he can remain on the basepaths, unlike his predecessor.

I'm loving getting all the Twinks games up here. It's so nice to watch a team that is good a baseball, for a change.

MillsChC said:

Theriot's potty-mouth rules.

cadarnell said:

wanna laugh ... here 's some guy on yahoo sports said about theriot ... this is one of his trade deadline winners ...

Los Angeles Dodgers. Nice work by GM Ned Colletti landing the best remaining pitcher on the market (Ted Lilly(notes)), a speed-and-defense guy who has flashed on-base skills in the past (Ryan Theriot(notes)) and worthwhile complementary pieces (Octavio Dotel(notes) and Scott Podsednik(notes)). Blake DeWitt(notes), who’s heading to Chicago, never found his niche with the Dodgers and needed to be moved. By all indications, Kyle Smit and Brett Wallach aren’t Carlos Santana(notes) – the Santana-for-Casey Blake(notes) deal was every bit as bad, if not worse, than the Victor Zambrano-Scott Kazmir(notes) classic – so all the better for the Dodgers. They desperately needed someone to fill the rotation alongside Clayton Kershaw(notes) and Hiroki Kuroda(notes) – even with Vicente Padilla(notes) pitching better – and they got it.

That said, they should’ve traded Manny Ramirez(notes) if they had a chance. If they do push into the postseason, at least they’d know their showers would be empty in the ninth inning of games.

Edelweiss said:

DeWitt seems OK, but then lots of guys have a good first day, then regress to the mean. DeWitt has two glaring problems to deal with in Chicago. One is his name, which sounds too preppy. Maybe he can find happiness with a Lincoln Park Muffy. Otherwise a more ethnic name would be a better fit for Chicago, say Ramirez, Theriot, Tulowitzki, Malamaleuna, or Punto. Being Biagina Meissitzner-Strobl worked Ok for me. The other problem is that his last name rymes with sh----, which will be problematic when he turns in less than a stellar performance.