Cubs Tuesday Headlines: Cub Fandom, Carlos, and Conte

Check out the latest video from my buddies over at Cubs Fan Report:

Andrew at Cubs Fan Report sent me that video a few days ago, and I watched it for the first time yesterday morning. Then, in a weird twist of fate, I wound up having lunch with Justin Kaufmann, the "Cubs fan" in the video (who is actually a White Sox fan). So. . .  that was a weird day.

Also, Doug Glanville, if you're reading this, I'm TRYING to help you promote your book, which is awesome. Please respond to my emails.

So, the Cubs pretty much stunk it up last night. And, while I usually joke about the "big comeback," when we're down 8-1 in the early going, last night a big comeback was eminently doable.

Carlos Silva, one of the few bright spots of the first half, had his second straight no-show, lasting only one inning before being yanked after five runs and seven hits. In his previous start on the final day of the first half in Los Angeles, Silva only lasted 11/3 innings and gave up six runs before being ejected.

"I got beat today," he said. "Not much I can do."

The brief momentum from the 3-1 Phillies series dissipated as quickly as Piniella's pregame smile. Silva loaded the bases with no one out, then gave up a two-run single to Hunter Pence and a two-run double to Carlos Lee.

After giving up five runs, facing 11 batters and throwing 41 pitches, Silva was mercifully removed before the sun began to set. He now has a 42.43 earned-run average over his last two starts, having given up 11 runs on 13 hits and five walks. Mitch Atkins served up a three-run home run to .170-hitting catcher Jason Castro in the third to make it 8-0 before the Cubs offense awoke, too late to matter.

Piniella wouldn't say whether Silva would get his next start and confirmed he wasn't injured.

"Silva? I don't have an explanation," Piniella said. "I'm going to talk to Larry (Rothschild, pitching coach) about it tomorrow. He's not as sharp as he was earlier, that's for sure."

Really? Because I have a perfect explanation. It's called regression to the mean, and we all knew it was coming. Congratulations, Jim Hendry: Once again you've managed to hold onto a valuable trade chip far, far too long.

In other non-relevant news, Sean Marshall is "open" to starting again:

"I know I can still start," Marshall said. "I like starting. But I've been really comfortable in the role I've been in, and got to settle in to a specific role. The last couple of years it's been a mix of relief and a start here and there. But I'm enjoying this year. Next year if they need me to start, I'll prepare myself in spring training to start again and I can always fall back to the role of a reliever."

Sean, you will never start again. Do you know why? Because you are far, far too nice about it. Take a page from Jason Marquis: stomp your feet and threaten to demand a trade if you don't start. Jeez, this isn't rocket science.

And now for the best part of my day: Let's take a look at which pieces of deadweight people are talking about taking off our hands today! First up, it looks like the Dodgers are the latest team after the only player I DON'T want to trade:

The Dodgers are interested in a variety of starters and relievers, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown. They are calling to inquire about Roy Oswalt, Ted Lilly, Dan Haren, Jake Westbrook and Fausto Carmona. At one point, when Josh Byrnes was running the D'Backs, the Dodgers were discussing a deal for Haren, but those talks are no longer active.

Perhaps we could interest them in a chubby, mama's boy instead? But don't ship Teddy out to Lalaland just yet, the Tigers are also in on Lilly. . .  and Theriot?

The Tigers, who would consider adding a shortstop, have had interest in Ryan Theriot before and could inquire about him as well. Last year, the Tigers added left-hander Jarrod Washburn for the stretch run, though he didn't pitch as well as they would have hoped (7.33 ERA in Detroit).

Uh. . . okay, if that's really what you wa-- I mean, oh please, oh please don't take Ryan Theriot, Detroit! He's sooooooooo good! We'll be lost without him!

Finally, this morning, I'm really disturbed to report that Marlon Byrd's million-watt smile may only be a 100k-watt smile without the aid of Victor Conte. And, like Barry Bonds before him, Marlon is using "'supplements" to help set records (even though Marlons' record was less-glamorous than Barry's):

Marlon Byrd's career year was rudely interrupted Sunday when twice he was plunked by pitches from Roy Halladay. He gamely refrained from rubbing his thigh or shoulder, but afterward Byrd consulted with his trusted performance-improving supplement guru, who not so long ago was a notorious performance-enhancing substance guru.

Victor Conte instructed Byrd to take an extra dose of a product called ZMA-5 before bed because it contains zinc and, Conte said, "It is widely known that zinc helps speed up the healing process of bruises and plays a major role in tissue repair." ZMA-5, billed as a rapid anabolic sleep enhancer, is one of a dozen or so of Conte's supplements the Chicago Cubs center fielder unfailingly ingests each day. Call it Byrd food.
So, be on the look-out for Marlon Byrd's 50-game suspension any day now.

Happy Tuesday!

LOL! What the hell is on the standings flags?

plamorte said:

Marlon Byrd, duh!

he needs a little bottle of supplements.

plamorte said:

done. actual bottle of ZMA-5 too!

Awesome.

Good job, Pat...this site has needed someone doing stuff like that for quite a while now. Back in the old days, Abe would do stuff like that all the time.

plamorte said:

thanks, sometimes things just need a lil' mixing up, suggestions welcome

sloan peterson said:

Byrd better watch out for the pills or he will end up like the bird in the "1000-il Canary" cartoon...

sloan peterson said:

Thanks CN! I post this twice, and CN posts the one with the spelling error for pounds....

You can always count on CN.

Just got an email from my "source" (I LOVE having a "source") that says Lilly to the Twinks. We shall see.

kiwibob said:

Do you have a special nickname for your source?

I don't know what Julie calls him...but I'm going to call him Ralph.

kiwibob said:

I quite like the thought that Julie has a ralph on the inside...

sloan peterson said:

I think the name "Snake-eyes" has a ring to it-though Ralph is good too. It describes my desire when I hear certain sportcasters spew forth....

kiwibob said:

I couldn't agree more CJ... trading Theriot would be utterly miserable. We must all keep our fingers crossed and hope like mad it doesn't happen.
Thankfully I'm well aware that the collective consciousness of LOHO has a rich history of success, as any Twins fan can confirm.

"The canary......"
"OUT OF THE HOLE!"

Cj,

Im curious as to why you wouldnt want to move Teddy. I get it, he's a fan favorite and obviously our best pitcher, and the thought of losing Lilly and Big Buff in the same summer is enough to make me vomit, it does make sense. We are surely NOT resigning him...I'd ASSume.

I believe it is assumed that Lilly will not be coming back next year. If Lilly and the Cubs wanted him to play in Chicago next year, then, technically, trading him anyway wouldn't be a big deal because he could just sign back with the Cubs after the season is over.

The only benefit in keeping Lilly right now is getting the free draft pick if he leaves for free agency.

Oh, as a baseball fan, I understand that we have to move him. As a Cubs fan, he's one of the few players on this team I really REALLY LOVE and I don't want him to go.

I'm speaking purely from an irrational, emotional standpoint.

I assume all the players I like will be gone soon, except for Koyie

see, this is why you have to have a player like Hill on the team to be a fan of

maybe i'll become a fan of Justin Berg

hmm, he's young, could be risky

young players can always be added to a deal

John Grabow?

AndCounting said:

So Byrd's relationship with Conte has been in the public eye for over a year? Meh. He's got nothing to worry about. The only reason people wouldn't do business with Conte is because of image and Byrd doesn't have an image problem in the slightest. All perceptions aside, Conte is a genius at what he does.

he's also a criminal at what he does.

AndCounting said:

A smooth criminal. #annieareyouokay

plamorte said:

I'm getting flack on Twitter for ripping on the WNBA. I'm sorry, even the feminist in me can admit that it's boring as hell with terrible marketing. Know what? So is pro boxing and harness racing. It has nothing to do with gender.

sloan peterson said:

The #1 reason I will watch almost anything than the WNBA/women's basketaball: they make a moral virtue about the lack of dunking,slower pace, lower scoring ,etc. I can't tell you how many stories in the LA Times mention that women's basketball is better than man's basketbal because most women can't dunk!They refer to women's basketball as more "team oriented" and the way the game used to be played. Well, yeah men were shorter and less athletic when they didn't dunk. And when a women does dunk the one time all year,LAT sportfools diss her.

apparently, I am "horrid" for rippong on women's sports. whatev.

do any of those people watch the WNBA?

I don't watch the NBA, so I'm not rushing out to watch the WNBA, plus there is no team by me ro follow

I'll watch women's college basketball though, the 3 times a year its on, if I catch it, but I'm a big fan of the men's team from my alma mater too

thisyearcub said:

The WNBA is ridiculous; I don't know why the NBA keeps funneling money into it. That's part of the reason the NBA is struggling with finances right now. Kind of like when they started that women's soccer league, didn't work out so well.

What UConn is doing in women's college basketball is pretty amazing, yet I'd venture a third of average sports fans have no idea. That tells you all you need to know.

Edelweiss said:

Even tall women have shorter arms than men the same height. The most athletic basketball I ever saw was in the 60s, when the Catholic schools had junior varsity for guys 5'8" and under. Those boys could really shoot. Since today's players are so freakishly tall, the only way to make the game interesting is to make the baskets 12 feet off the ground.

I think I have poison ivy. BLAH!

sloan peterson said:

I'm sorry-do you have any antihistimines/calamine lotion?

it's just one little spot. i just doused with with benadryl spray.

Edelweiss said:

Walgreens sells a clear, alcohol-based gel, called Rhuli-Gel, which is the only thing that gives any relief. Calamine lotion is a waste of time. Any cream with oarmeal is also soothing.

Good tip--thanks.

Dmband said:

Ahhh purely emotional and irrational. Those are my specialities.

Good call on the draft pic doc, although I gotta believe we can get a better prospect for Lilly than we can get in the draft.

I am pleasantly surprised at the way the youth on this team has played. I think if we CAN move Lilly and Lee and Theriot go for it...we've tried everything else, lets try going young, move Marshall back to the rotation, and with a few minor tweaks (i.e. no one knows who will play 1B in the future), this team MIGHT NOT BE THAT BAD next year.

Edelweiss said:

Hendry keeps trying to move Theriot, and other teams remind him that the Cubs have a cheaper infielder, who can do what Theriot does, and more, and is easier to manage. The Cubs want to keep the cheaper players, but they are the ones other teams want, too.

Dmband said:

Also, question for the panel:

What is the SABR equivalent of the 'Games Back' stat?

I find 'games back' to be completely useless.

I don't know enough about SABR BUT, I once heard one of the guys from Stats.com say that, to get a realistic idea of how far back you are, you have to add up your games back PLUS the games back of all the teams in front of you.

so we're 10.5 back, Milwaukee is 9.5 back, and the Reds are .5 back. so actually, we have to make up 20.5 games to climb into 1st.

SABR BUTT?

AndCounting said:

I modify that to adding just .5 for every game you trail the non-first-place teams. The reasoning is that every game in the standings consists of two results. A half game accounts just for one win or one loss. The Cubs catching the Cardinals would require a net combination of 21 favorable results (Cubs wins+Cardinal losses - the sum of Cub losses and Cardinal wins). If the Cubs win the next 10, and the Cardinals lose their next 11, they'll be tied.

But the Cubs also need Milwaukee and Cincinnati to lose. Cub wins are just as effective relative to the Reds and Brewers in the standings, but Cardinal losses have no effect on the other teams. To gain a full game on the Reds and Cardinals, the Cubs need three positive results: a Cubs win, a Reds loss, and a Cardinals loss, which represents 1.5 games. So right now, I look at the Cubs as being 16 games out of first place.

I believe the sabermetric term for that is SOL.

Why not trade Lilly? He's a free agent at year's end, this team is going nowhere fast, and he'd probably bring back more in return than any other player. If they really want him, they can re-sign him as a free agent.

Because I don't like anyone else on this team, other than Marshall, Z, and the kids.

oh, and byrd, but he's about to get suspended.

I like Ramirez.

I like Lilly too, but I'd rather see this team get good.

Boy, Hendry sure is a genius for acquiring Carlos Silva.

mirite?

comeonnnnnn

Dmband said:

Thanks Julie...that actually makes a lot more sense, and puts it into a much more frighteningly realistic picture.

Re: Women's Basketball

Didnt someone point out on this blog that famed Basketball genius John Wooden preferred watching women's baseketball to men's because they were more fundamentally sound and executed the X's and O's much more fluidly than men?

Just a thought..

same with women's soccer.

but that still doesn't mean i have to like watching the wnba. i don't. this makes me a horrible person.

AndCounting said:

I know a lot of guy's who prefer women's wrestling.

I don't know why people care so much about what other people like to watch. The fact that people are watching a sport doesn't validate its existence. Arguing the merits of the sport based on viewership misses the point.

Arguing its success as a business is another matter entirely, but people should be able to separate their feelings about gender equality from that discussion.

Edelweiss said:

This may be sexist, but it is true. Men don't like to watch any women's sporting event unless the women are 'hot'. My husband and sons will watch beach volleyball, soccer, figure skating, or any sport where the women are scantilly clad, and feminine looking. They NEVER watch basketball, where the women look like men. Women and men are different. Some of the women on this blog like players only because they are physically attracted to them, and care little for how a player performs. The preference seems to be for slender, soft-looking men, like Baker, Lilly, and Theriot. When you are my age, you like players who remind you of your sons. My favorite Cub reminds me of my youngest son, Giancarlo, (short, muscular, blonde, with a big nose.) Most people like players who they can see a little of themselves in. Very few people identify with female basketball players.

sloan peterson said:

I don't identify with female basketball players for the same reason I don't identify with female swimmers, figure skaters,or gymnists. I am too short,klutzy,etc. to ever see myself in them. I have no problem watching these tall,skinny,coordinated people-I just don't identify with them...

Edelweiss said:

I'm short and klutzy, but I won an Olympic medal in downhill skiing.

Not me. I like rugged, chiseled guys who can stare down a guy charging the mound like Bobby Howry!

Edelweiss said:

The kind of men I used to drool over have fallen apart, and my short, feisty husband is still in good shape.

sloan peterson said:

Per Wooden's memorial service, John Wooden also did not like layups,facial hair, tats, and long hair. They told several stories on how he would scalp poor Bill Walton,because his hair was so curly..

I hate this week. Everyone is being a jerk to me. Boo.

I hope it cheers you up to know that I think you're a bit better than mediocre.

plamorte said:

above average even.

plamorte said:

it's only Tuesday, plenty of time for it to get better. I'm looking forward to Kings of Leon concert on Saturday and big big things happening on Friday, that I shall reveal then.

Well...at least your family has a place to sleep next week. Mine doesn't

Edelweiss said:

There, there....The Cubs may deal Lilly, but it will take a miracle to move your Theriot.

thisyearcub said:

ESPN reporting Piniella will retire after this season. He just released a statement. Not surprising at all.

I guess get ready for Sandberg, although I would really have Trammell just moved up.

I'll be honest, not that long ago having Sandberg managing the Cubs would have made me very happy, but that was before I returned to reality with this team, now I honestly don't think it matters

Why am I irrationally scared that Davey Johnson is going to be our next manager?

I'm still hoping for Jody Davis

thisyearcub said:

Hector Villanueva!!

Cubs Psychologist said:

HELL YEAH!!

Keith Moreland

sloan peterson said:

1. Bobby Valentine
2. Bob Bremly
3. Joe Morgan

um, I mean this in the nicest way, but what?

are you going with those you'd like to see, or your fears?

sloan peterson said:

fears mostly

ok, I was nervous there for a minute when I saw 3

Cubs Psychologist said:

Just heard the name Pat Listache?? Who is he?? Any info??

He was in the Cubs minor league system for a number of years...he managed Iowa last year. He left the organization which gave Sandberg the chance to go to Des Moines. I think he's a coach in Washington now.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Thank you, sir.

It's kinda funny that Listach's name is being mentioned...because I kinda assumed he left because he felt he was going to be overshadowed by Sandberg's rise through the system.

The funny thing is, Listach now has the thing that I believe Sandberg needs before he becomes a big league manager, and that is some time as a coach at the big league level.

Cubs Psychologist said:

I completely agree. I don't want to see Sandberg struggle as they rebuild.

sloan peterson said:

Current 3rd base coach Washington Nationals-former coach Iowa cubs...

AC-

Thanks for the info. I was curious, because I was involved in a 45 minute arguement (at 2am, there was cocktails involved) in regards to why the Cubs should be "sellers". The indivdual I was 'discussing' this with kept saying, well, they could be only 6 games back at the end of this weekend...(assuming a sweep of the cards).

I kept explaining that it matters more how many teams are ahead of you, and so on.

I'd like to present a case petitioning to remove 'Games Back' from the baseball coversation all together.

Pinella's retiring?

In other breaking news, tomorrow is Wednesday.

Dammit! Tomorrow's Wednesday? Why don't you people tell me these things! UGH!

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Unless we can find a wormhole or a ripple in time.

That actually would be very helpful. Who do I talk to get get this to happen?

A nipple in time?

I was going to say that too...but I decided to let you have that one.

sloan peterson said:

And I hear a rumor that the sun will rise tomorrow...

That's a load of BS.

Does anyone have a couple hundred thousand dollars they could lend me? I promise to pay it off over 30 years and even pay interest on it at, oh, say 5% a year.

Cubs Psychologist said:

I wish I could help you, Doc. When I'm hard up for cash, I always consider stripping or prostitution. Quick money. Just a suggestion.

That might be a good idea.

It really is unbelievable...I'm with my second mortgage broker since this process began, and they keep saying that I easily qualify to get the loan I'm seeking, but they just can't seem to get paperwork done on time. The sellers have another offer and are very willing to switch if my loan officer doesn't get them a loan commitment that has no contingencies left on it. And all I keep hearing from him is, "Don't worry, you'll have no problem getting this loan."

We are supposed to close on this house next Tuesday. So now my wife and I are renting out a storage garage because we have no confidence in our loan officer's inability to get a letter to the sellers.

Ok...sorry...letting off a little steam there.

Oh...and if anyone wants some advice on two mortgage brokers that you shouldn't try to get a loan with, please contact me.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Once again, sorry to hear about all this. Is it time to light the perverbial "fire under they're asses?" I'm dealing with a similar situation in regards of some credit card consolidation.

it is what it is...I assumed it would be just as simple as it was when I got a mortgage 7 years ago...even easier since I am in much better shape financially than I've ever been. My mistake. The world has changed in the last few years.

I blame myself more than anything.

Edelweiss said:

Try cruising the Sidetrack bar. Some guys make it big during baseball season.

Dmband said:

Does this make any sense or am I dreaming?

Brenley comes down from the booth for 2-3 years and brings up Ryno as a bench coach.

Then after Brenley's time, Sandberg takes over having some real live MLB coaching experience.

Second comment/question:

How much, if any input do we think Hendry has regarding the replacement.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Sounds like a plan. Unless, they go after Giradi. That's if he doesn't resign with the Yankees.

I just don't see Girardi leaving New York

Cubs Psychologist said:

I agree, but the media loves to throw his name out since he has all of those ties to Chicago. Plus, if they don't re-sign him, who will they go after...Bobby Valentine? HA!!

no one does except Gordon Wittenmyer.

Everything rests on what Hendry's status actually is. Now that it has been said that Lou is gone after this year, the Ricketts family needs to give a statement saying that Hendry is staying after this year, or fire him shortly after the trade deadline.

If Hendry is kept on, the decision will be almost entirely up to him.

Doc-

Is the property you're buying in Illinois? If so, I have a few people that may be able to help you although it really sounds like you're too close to the closing to move forward with a different loan officer. You should ask them, what if any, remaining stipulations exsist that are holding this loan up. This close to closing the ONLY thing that should still be up in the air are settlement costs.

This is Wisconsin...the problem right now is that the loan officer dragged his feet on getting an appraisal on the house, with the results of it not coming until Monday of next week, at which point he'll be able to give a thumbs up on the loan...one day before the closing.

Even if there was time, moving to another broker would be an almost impossibility now as this would have been the third broker...and such, the third broker to pull up a credit report. Each access of your credit report reduces the credit score.

We had plenty of time initially after getting the offer accepted on the house...but the first mortgage broker dragged his feet and seemed completely uninterested in helping us. So I called a second one up and he said that in the remaining time available, it would be a bit tight, but we should still have everything done with about a week and a half to spare.

Seriously, this would have been so much easier if these loan officers would have just flat out said that they couldn't get this done in the time allotted or were unwilling to get the loan done. My wife and I were perfectly content to move into an apartment and wait for a better situation but these guys flat out lied to us and said it could be done.

Shame on me for not going with my gut on this.

Edelweiss said:

So that's why they say it takes at least two years to sell a house in parts of southern Wisconsin.

Lou's live on 670am

funny....because Lou has pretty much been acting dead for most of the season.

thisyearcub said:

Actually, scratch my choice of Trammell. From a story among the candidates:

"Joe Torre: Los Angeles sources insist Torre would love the challenge of managing the Cubs, and he's about to become available again with his contract ending with the Dodgers. Has the kind of winning experience that makes him a prime target. "

WANT

hmm, I know this should be a no contest kind of moment, but I just really can't decide

mostly because I really really really want this team to go cheap, go young, and go for the long term development, and I'm nervous that hiring Torre will signal more of the "win now" stuff we've been getting

Doc-

FYI- Typical turn around time on appraisal (from when its conducted to receipt of full report) is 72 hours.

That being said, good luck...and god speed.

Yeah...I know...our current house the buyer's appraisal was done in 2 days.

Considering we were lied to about the fact the appraisal actually happening (we were told that they started work on it Monday of last week...they now tell us it started yesterday), and the fact they won't give us a day when we will get a firm commitment, I'm not optimistic it will get done before the seller cancels the contract.

Kap just threw his hat in Joe Girardi's ring. HA.

oh...good grief.

wahoobudd said:

Quietly read you guys most days and it got me excited to restart my Cubs blog. Thought the most recent post would make you smile: http://rooftopreport.com/2010/07/20/regression-towards-the-mean/

Relates to Carlos Silva being who we thought he was. Nothing is wrong with him, he just isn't good.

plamorte said:

if you read us quietly, you should know how well you pimping out your own blog here will go with CJ.

I have the bruises to prove it.

wahoobudd said:

Aye. Pretty dumb of me. Thought it was relevant to the post, but agree with your comments. Sent an apology email.

Julie actually is ok with people doing this on a very very very very very very very limited basis...especially if you buy her a drink or two (or 10) at some point.

On the other hand, she abuses me constantly because I pimp my blog here on an almost daily basis.

ha. no, i don't mind people who do it honestly. i hate people who try to pretend their in on the conversation and then throw in a link at the bottom.

Have any of you smarty pants SABR guys (I say that lovingly, I wish I was so smart/not always so drunk to understand) done any kind of analysis at how much/little impact managers have on a team's record?

Responses in 4 sentences or fewer, please.

I'm fairly sure SABRgeeks are incapable of commenting in 4 sentences or fewer.

berselius said:

Here's a short answer

The easiest thing to check is how teams value managers. Torre is paid at $7.5mm which is by far the most, which corresponds to a valuation of ~1.5-2 wins, depending on who you ask. I think he's way overpaid though. It's pretty negligable.

berselius said:

oops, those were 2007 numbers. Still, not much is the answer

Dmband said:

Ricketts just seemingly gave Hendry his go ahead to pick the next manager.

Great. Another year of Hendry...and four more years of a Hendry manager.

Is anyone else with me on this that if Hendry gets to pick the next manager, Sandberg is out of luck? (Not that it is a bad thing or good thing.)

One other thing...

If Hendry is making this pick...one could make the assumption that Girardi is completely out of consideration (if he were even available).

Hendry could have reached out to Girardi after 2006, but chose not to...I don't see why things would be different this time around.

Dmband said:

It just doesnt make much sense to me.

As an owner of a business, Im looking at a TON of unmovable money on the books and a team in bascially 4th place in a weak ass division.

Why in the world would I want the general manager of that business to be an important part in selecting a future employee.

IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE.

It's the Cubs. What other explanation do you need?

berselius-

Are you saying there's an VORP for managers!

This SABR metrics has gotten way out of hand!

The machines are taking over....

Come with me if you want to live!

VORM?

Dmband said:

"It's the Cubs. What other explanation do you need?"

That would make a GREAT Cubbie Doc Examiner T Shirt...(of course some royalties should and would be paid to CJ)

Little cross marketing action...

hmmm...you might be on to something there.