Chicago Cubs Tuesday Morning Headline; I'm very very very sorry

No Apology Necessary

So, if you haven't heard it yet, Zambrano did the sports equivalent of a mea culpa yesterday, of course instead of the Washington press corp he gets Pedro Gomez

To the fans

"It was a moment of frustration," Zambrano said Monday in an interview with ESPN. "I was trying to fire up the team. Lee told me to shut up, and I got more excited. I apologize from the bottom of my heart. The last person I would be mad at is D. Lee; he's a Gold Glover. I was just mad at myself."

To D Lee

"I texted Lee two days after it happened, and we talked after that," Zambrano said. "I apologized to him, and he responded well. He's a professional. He's one of the best teammates you can have."

To the Team

Zambrano will apologize to the rest of his teammates when he rejoins the Cubs on Friday in Denver against the Colorado Rockies. He hopes he and the Cubs can move on after the apology. "If I play better and do the right things, everything will be fine in Chicago," Zambrano said. "I love the fans and the city. I do not want to leave Chicago. I came on a mission, and I want that ring."

So thats it right? He talked to Lee first, he said sorry to the fans, and he is going to talk to the rest of the team. Is it over? It must be over, forgive and forget right? Um, not so fast.
Seems not everyone thinks that was quite correct

The apology was supposed to be made in front of teammates, not a microphone and a camera. That was what the Cubs had said and, presumably, that's what Carlos Zambrano had been told. Before he would tell anyone else he was sorry for his volcanic dugout eruption a month ago, he would face his fellow Cubs, admit he had let them down and ask for forgiveness.

THere is more here from Phil Rogersand here from Bruce Miles.

But in other news, Cubs won 5-2 and Silva got the win

"I'm the type of pitcher who relies on my defense,'' Silva said. "They made good plays. That changed the whole game.'' Silva turned a 5-1 lead over to the bullpen in the sixth inning, having allowed one first-inning run and nothing else.

Hear that? There was good defense!

is everyone Zambrano'd out?

berselius said:

Jesus H Tapdancing Christ, Carlos Zambrano cannot win the media or the fans.

cadarnell said:

hA! Ha!

sloan peterson said:

THAT will be the next name I post under-imagine the avatar...

secdelahc said:

Who gives a rat's fart if Z apologizes to the cameras first? I don't care if he claims he's now a devil worshipper, so long as he pitches well. Why doesn't the media use their words to convince Hendry to blow up the team instead of worrying about the order of Z's apologies?

totally agree with the last part

I actually hink it was a pretty well devised plan, make the fans happy in a nice controlled environment, then go and talk to the team, do you really think any of the current players on the team are going to storm in front of the reporters and get mad at Zambrano? this particular group seems too professional for that, they might complain in private, but I highly doubt we'll hear more than some rumors and things like "there is a change in the clubhouse that nobody will talk about" and I'm fine with that

AndCounting said:

Great post. Somehow, I think people are angrier about his apology than they were over the initial outburst. Other people are appalled that he texted Derrek Lee when the appropriate first response would have been to send him flowers and have his apology scrolled across the Wrigley Field marquee.

sloan peterson said:

I think some people will not be satisfied until Z beats himself until a pulp, on camera, with the whole Cubs team watching. Even then, some sportwriters would complain ....

Sigh. Just another in a long series of reminders why it is so embarrassing to be a fan of this organization.

secdelahc said:

On the bright side, at least they managed to beat the Astros!

I actually couldn't care less.

it was a fun game to listen to, finally we get a stretch of fun games!

Finally home. What did I miss?

Funny, I was listening to sports radio on the way back from court (recipe for nothing but frustration, I know), and the media seems to be the ones who can't forgive Z. Some of the guys seemed to have been personally offended by his behaviour. It was wild.

I don't get it.

he broke the #1 Chicago sports rule, he talked to the east coast media first

Good point.

Jeez, I've never seen people so ticked off about something so not relevant to them. It's not like he called the entire city jerks like Bradley did or anything. He got into a fight with a teammate. Who the hell cares?

AndCounting said:

People have a hard time with complex chronology. If he had apologized to his teammates first, all would be forgiven. But he apologized to the entire world first, which is unconscionable. It's like seeing Vincent Vega alive in the diner after we already saw Butch shoot him earlier in Pulp Fiction. That's the wrong order, and I hate it! I haven't been this mad since ABC Family aired Dead Uncles and Vegetables BEFORE There's the Rub during their Gilmore Girls marathon. So help me, I'm pissed!

Pulp Fiction reference = my complete adoration for a period of one week. +1 internet for you!

Edelweiss said:

I'm not sure he ever got a chance to apologize. He was wisked away and exiled before he had a chance to cool down and think things out. Lou should have called a team meeting right after the game, and let the boys hash it out.

cadarnell said:

the proportion of this thing is mind boggling. he got mad, yelled, got yelled at and sat down. If Lou would have just left him in that game and then dealt with the argument later in the club house, I really think this would have been a story for 2 days and not years to come as it appears it will be.

sloan peterson said:

Funny thing- the dodgers had a fight in their dugout during a game and of course the Upton/Langoria struggle-nothing happened. Their manager did not talk to the media and it went away. To me the Upton/Longoria was actual fighting-Z just yelled.

Please see my link above. It will answer this question.

Umbra said:

Zambrano's apology was supposed to do two things:

1. Restore his relationship with Derrek Lee and the team.
2. Make the fans think that his relationship is restored with Derrek Lee and that Z is not a mean unapologetic person.

Doing the apologies in this order unfortunately lets the cat out of the bag. Fans demand satisfaction, but you can't let them in on the joke that it's all for show. A forced apology and an insincere one done for PR is worse than none at all.

The fans don't want Zambrano to apologize. They want Zambrano to want to apologize.

Make fun of that all you want, but I don't think this is the way to handle the childish media in this town. If Zambrano's conscience leads him to apologize, then he should apologize to Lee and the team and tell the media to go jump in the lake if they ask about it. If he still feels frustrated and hurt and upset and doesn't want to apologize, he should just say that he isn't ready to apologize and tell the media to go jump in the lake if they demand differently.

Dmband said:

Rammy picked up his 15 million team option.

Im happy about that.

Umbra said:

He OPS'd 1.155 over the last month. I expect that to continue.

Dmband said:

sorry player option. duh

iowagyrl said:

And yet today we read about the Cubs trying to trade Derek Lee? Looks like maybe D Lee telling Big Z to "shut-up" was heard by the Cubs organization?? We can only hope!

iowagyrl said:

Why don't the pathetic whiners aka the Chicago sports writers get over the fact that Pedro Gomez beat them to the punch? His repoire with players like Big Z is what scored him the interview. Good job Pedro and Carlos! The pansies aka sports media in Chicago deserve that and much more!