Chicago Cubs Tuesday Headlines: Cubs Take First Series Opener Since 2007

Kosuke Fukudome
I'm sure by now most of us have forgotten how to react to a series-opening win, especially one in which the Cubs won by five runs. While the Cubs managed to kick the D'Backs when they were down, it's better than being kicked.

So unusual was the early and persistent hitting from all parts of the lineup that catcher Geovany Soto called it ''refreshing.''

''It was fun today,'' he said. ''Put it that way.''

Whether the fun extends long enough to win one more game before they leave Arizona to win a series for the first time since the middle of last month, they at least have a series opener to enjoy for the first time in 12 tries -- even if it came against a team that was four days removed from firing its manager and general manager.

And maybe, just maybe, a certain outfielder pictured above opened someone's eyes to what a special, valuable addition he could be to a team looking for a  left-handed bat.

Instead, the guy who got it started Monday -- Kosuke Fukudome with a homer leading off the game -- has looked more like a fourth outfielder who might have nudged his trade value by reaching base four times from the leadoff spot Monday.

Sore thumbed Aramis Ramirez was back in the lineup yesterday, and finally dropped from the cleanup spot.

Aramis Ramirez returned to the Cubs' lineup Monday after sitting the last couple of days with a sore left hand, moving down to the No. 6 hole for the second time this season.

"This way he doesn't feel like he has to carry the team or anything else," manager Lou Piniella said. "Just let him do what he's capable of doing."

Remember Carlos Zambrano? It appears as though he'll start working out again soon.

Carlos Zambrano will begin a workout schedule later this week and is expected to report to the Cubs' spring training complex in Mesa, Ariz., to prepare for his comeback next week.

Zambrano is being evaluated by doctors for treatment of his anger issues. The Cubs have said he's expected to return from the restricted list sometime after the All-Star break, though no timetable has been given. He'll have to have at least one or two outings in the minors before he comes back to the team.

Finally, Carlos Silva is disappointed but not enraged that he was snubbed for the All Star Game.

''With the All-Star Game, there are a lot of things I don't understand,'' he said of a multilayered selection process that can become a roster numbers game with pitchers and bench players. ''Numbers and names, too, I think. Players with big names. There's a lot of pitchers that didn't get selected that have better numbers than guys that were selected. I think that's because of their names.''

(snip)

''I've just got to stay in focus and continue pitching,'' he said. ''Nothing else I can do.''

summerguy said:

Silva would easily be an All-star if he had any run support his last 4 starts... should be about 12-1.

berselius said:

I think Silva still has a chance given how many starters are inelgibilified by starting too close to the game. Though that could happen to Silva too.

AndCounting said:

Overall, though, he's had outstanding run support. He's lucky to have only been victimized by the offense a handful of times.

i have nothing to add. what the hell are we going to talk about until 9:00 pm?

sloan peterson said:

Do the Dutch have a chance?

thisyearcub said:

Outlook is good. Great goal there.

Teebob2000 said:

I say yes.

berselius said:

We should all talk about that inredible shot for the first Dutch goal

sloan peterson said:

Dutch win!Dutch win! And I'm the only happy person in the company lunchroom!!!

Umbra said:

Your co-workers are big Uruguay fans, huh?

sloan peterson said:

A good portion of my co-workers are from Latin America,so they root for all the Latin teams.For some reason they think Spain is a "European" team not a "Latin". Me, I'm happy the Dutch won because the lone LA sportsfool soccer writer wrote that the Dutch always choke on the big games and predicted Germany vs Brazil....

Dmband said:

I know you guys were all anxiously awaiting this news. But its official...YAY!

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND SUMMER TOUR FINALE AT WRIGLEY FIELD WITH JASON MRAZ

Dave Matthews Band is pleased to announce that they will close their summer tour with two concerts at Wrigley Field in Chicago, IL. DMB will perform back-to-back concerts on September 17-18th at the historical ballpark the Chicago Cubs have called home for 95 years. Jason Mraz will perform as support for both Chicago shows.

Tickets for the Wrigley show will be offered to Warehouse members in advance of the public on sale date. The Warehouse Series 8-2010 ticketing request period will open at 6:00 p.m. ET on Friday, July 2nd and will close at 12:00 pm noon ET on Monday, July 12th. The ticketing request period is not first come-first serve, all members have the same chance of being randomly chosen for tickets. Warehouse confirmations will be posted by the end of the day on Friday July 16th. The public on sale for the Wrigley Field show will take place at 10:00 am CT on Saturday July 17th through Tickets.com

Teebob2000 said:

Who is this Don Matthews character you speak of?

thisyearcub said:

Heard they were a bust headlining at Bonnaroo...maybe Wrigley will be better. Will this sell out?

Dmband said:

I know you guys were all anxiously awaiting this news. But its official...YAY!

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND SUMMER TOUR FINALE AT WRIGLEY FIELD WITH JASON MRAZ

sloan peterson said:

But can he hit?

secdelahc said:

I'm ready for the game tonight. I only wish I didn't have to work another 6-7 hours before I can leave for the game.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Cousin Pete (Gammons) has reported that we have officially put Lilly & Lee on the trade market.

berselius said:

that's great news. do you have a link/

berselius said:

nevermind, I found it. Ugh. I'm glad they're shopping them, but the turn in the punchbowl is that they want to re-sign Lilly after he becomes a FA at the end of the season...since he's type A the Cubs would cough up a pick (though probably not a first rounder, barring some huge comeback)

People better starting sweet-talking Lee into accepting a trade...because rumor has it he's pretty set on invoking his no-trade clause if the situation presents itself.

That being said, the Cubs should have tried to trade him during this past off-season.

Cubs Psychologist said:

So Doc, how do we convince him?

You're the psychologist...you should have some ideas on how to change someone's mind about something.

Cubs Psychologist said:

True...there are numerous ways you can approach this situation. You could take the parenting approach, "This is going to hurt me, more than it's going to hurt you." Or,my personal favorite,the wingman approach, "It's time for you to take one for the team." Lastly, just be real, "If you want a chance to go to the playoffs and WIN, drop the damn clause." Just a few ideas.

Dmband said:

TYC-

This will sellout very quickly..
Just saw them at Alpine Valley and it was a great time...I heard the same about Bonaroo, which is suprising because they've played that fest for a while now...

Is anyone else glad that Silva didn't make the all-star team just because he sucked so much against the american league with the Mariners the last 2 years? Silva on the All-star team would hurt the NL's slim chances of actually winning the game.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Do you honestly think they have a chance to win?

Umbra said:

C: Joe Mauer V. Yadier freakingIcan'tbelievethis Molina.
2.1 WAR vs 0.6 WAR
Advantage: AL.

1B: Justin Morneau V. Albert Pujols
4.8 WAR vs 3.1 WAR
Advantage: AL.

2B: Robinson Cano V. Martin Prado (Chase Utley is hurt)
4.4 WAR vs 2.9 WAR
Advantage: AL

3B: Evan Longoria V. David Wright
3.3 WAR vs 4.1 WAR
Advantage: NL

SS: Derek Jeter V. Hanley Ramirez
2.0 WAR vs 2.5 WAR
Advantage: NL

OF: Josh Hamilton, Ichiro Suzuki, Carl Crawford V Ryan "I suck at defense and this year also kinda suck at the plate" Braun, Andre Ethier, Jason Heyward

4.0, 3.0, 4.3 WAR vs 0.9, 1.3, 2.0 WAR
Advantage: AL, where even the worst AL OF is better than the best NL.

As far as position players are concerned, the AL All-Star Team completely dominates the NL. It would help if the NL picked better players than Ryan Braun and Yadier friggin Molina.

How about pitchers?

Capps (RP): 0.6
Meek (RP): 1.0
Rhodes (RP): 0.9
Wilson (RP): 1.4

Starters Total: 22.8
Bullpen Total: 5.6

HOORAY! Top to bottom, the NL looks to have better pitching (even if not every pitcher gets a chance).

By straight addition, the NL team is 5.6 WAR better on pitching and 10.3 WAR worse on position players. For even more fun-but-entirely-not-rigorous-back-of-the-napkin-math, that means the AL is better than the NL in the same way that the St. Louis Cardinals (13.1 WAR) are better than the Chicago Cubs (8.3).

The NL is going to get destroyed for the 25th year in a row.

Teebob2000 said:

tl;dnr

Umbra said:

The National League is going to get curb stomped.

Teebob2000 said:

cubby23(eric) said:

Are my eyes betraying me...does Gallardo really have the same WAR as Lincecum?

Gallardo's season numbers really have snuck up on me. I didn't realize he's been so strong when not pitching against St. Louis.

Umbra said:

Quite right! Striking similarities between them.

Gallardo: 8-4, 3.00 FIP, 3.48 xFIP, 9.83 K/9, 3.87 BB/9, .48 HR/9

Lincecum: 8-4, 3.05 FIP, 3.34 xFIP, 9.93 K/9, 3.78 BB/9, .57 HR/9

TL;DR version: Yovani Gallardo is Tim Lincecum with a mustache.

Teebob2000 said:

Well done on the summary.

sloan peterson said:

What, you have not heard of the Molina rule? As long as there are Molinas playing major league baseball either the NL or the AL must pick at least 1 Molina..:)

Umbra said:

Don't worry- Brian McCann is the backup and should get some playing time. Brian McCann is awesome at baseball, even if Yadier Molina is not.

So if they know what they're doing out there, they'll have Molina catch the first inning and then be replaced immediately.

berselius said:

Isn't Phillips starting in place of Utley?

Umbra said:

I used this roster from MLB which states:

2B Martin Prado, ATL ++

++ Replaces Chase Utley in starting lineup

Uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh.

Some days I wonder how (and why) I wound up in the profession I'm in.

Cubs Psychologist said:

I feel ya!! I question that decision every other day.

sloan peterson said:

Do you want to blame Nancy Drew,Perry Mason,or Night Court?

I blame Law & Order and Atticus Finch. Also, LA Law for making it look like this was glamorous.

Speaking of glamorous, that Fergie song "Glamorous" is about the worst thing I've ever heard.

sloan peterson said:

I only wanted the suits; I didn't want the hair. I have a feeling that I would be like Spader if I ever went to law school...

I have a feeling that Fergie would not know Glamour if it hit her with a stick. Just saying....

Fergie reminds me of one of those chicks on Maury who spends the entire time telling everyone how "classy" she is.

Umbra said:

I'm still upset over her song with the lyric "And I'm going to miss you like a child misses their blanket".

Worst. Simile. Ever.

her lyrics aren't. . . they aren't. . they're not good.

Only 4 more hours to go!

cubby23(eric) said:

as per Paul Sullivan
Here's the lineup:

Fukudome RF
Theriot 2B
Lee 1B
Colvin CF
Ramirez 3B
Soriano LF
Castro SS
Soto C
Silva P

Byrd gets the night off.

secdelahc said:

I have the feeling I'm going to spend the night explaining baseball rules to the girl I carpool with. Why did I decide to invite her? At least I can try to get her to yell "Tylermania!" with me.