Chicago Cubs Thursday Headlines

(Tribune Photo by Phil Velasquez)

You might know by now that the Cubs lost yesterday. It turned out to be another one of those microcosm losses, where the Cubs got good pitching, lousy hitting and poor defense. Or at least just enough poor defense to lose it. But have faith! Tom Gorzelanny has words of hope.

"There's always time. We need to win some games here," Gorzelanny said. "There's no reason for us to panic or worry.

"We're a good team. We still feel good about the will that we have. We need to break out and get on a good run. We all believe it's going to happen. This team is way too good to be playing like that."

But after what should've been a cakewalk against the Pirates, the Cubs have to see Dusty and his division leading Reds come to town. Lou Piniella doesn't sound quite as confident as Gorzy.

"I'll tell you what," he sighed, "Pittsburgh was tough enough."

In the newest stage of the Zambrano saga, Ted Lilly talked to Carlos. I hope Carlos' clubhouse cancer didn't infect Lilly's brain.

"I talked to Carlos (Monday) night and he wants to be back out here and he wants to help the team, and I believe that he's going to do that," Lilly told WGN-Ch. 9. "So for me it was encouraging to talk to him and hear what he had to say. I'm pretty confident that he'll be back as soon as he can and he'll help us win games."
Marlon Byrd is doing what he can to smooth over the situation as well.

"We know what he was trying to do," Byrd said. "It came across wrong. This is something you have to move past. At the same time it's weird. This can bring a team together, some kind of adversity. Everything is going to be fine. Everybody knows what kind of guy Carlos is, and we accept him."

One good thing about the Cubs being so bad this year is the opportunity to see games at a reasonable price. Of course, the flip side is that you're still watching this team play.

Even with the Reds in first place, interest in the Cubs among paying customers has fallen so far that as of late Wednesday, tickets to today's game against Cincinnati could be found on Stubhub.com for as little as $3 -- as little as $7 for Friday's game.
Have you been wanting a tangible stat showing just how frustrating this year has been?

Wednesday's loss marked the 43rd time already this season the Cubs have played games decided by one or two runs -- going 16-27 in them.

Their 29 one-run games are already the most for the team at this point in a season since 2000, when they played 31 in their first 78 games (15-16 in those games on the way to a 97-loss season).

kiwibob said:

When it comes to tangible stats, $3 tickets is even more eloquent than 16-27

MillsChC said:

Weren't the bleacher tickets for this week supposed to be $10 from the Cubs' box office itself?

kiwibob said:

They were...
It was a special promo dressed up as Ron Santo's special gift. I doubt it will be the last time the organisation finds itself an excuse for discounting tickets this season

plamorte said:

Corey Patterson losing his job to Felix Pie

kiwibob said:

That should send the price of Orioles tickets soaring then

I'm going to see the Orioles twice this season, guess I'll be cheering for Pie now

kiwibob said:

You can't go wrong when you cheer for Pie

Teebob2000 said:

Mmmmmmmmm, pie.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Just read that Rich Hill has been picked up by the Redsox. It appears to be a good week for ex-Cubs, Barrett and Hill, but not a good week for the Cubs. Imagine that.

kiwibob said:

Look at all this interest in crappy ex-Cubs when there's a whole team of fresh ones available... you'd think someone would have had the decency to pop a Theriot in their shopping cart at the same time.

Bobcubs08 said:

that's like finding an crappy melon at the stand. you thump it and then just put it back.

There's no need to imagine that.

Umbra said:

Here is something that is sad:

Marlon Byrd is having an All-Star year. His 2.9 WAR leads the team, and is the second-highest among NL outfielders. He ranks 5th in WPA, 4th in fielding runs, 12th in batting, 11th in wOBA, (and I could go on with more funny acronyms, but I think this wall of text will suffice in making my point that Computers Prove Marlon Byrd Rules).

And yet, Marlon Byrd is not among the top 15 vote-getting outfielders.

Is it because the rest of the Cubs suck this year? Is it because he is new and doesn't have much name-recognition? Is it because he is soft-spoken and doesn't have a clothing line for assholes like Ryan Braun?

AndCounting said:

If I had to guess, I'd say that interest in the Cubs is at its lowest point in the last 10 years and maybe since the mid '90s while negative emotion toward the Cubs is probably at its highest point ever. There's just no way enough Cubs fans like Marlon Byrd and this team enough to go out and vote for him 25 times on every email account they have, let alone once or twice.

Teebob2000 said:

*raises hand*

Interest was pretty damn by about this point in the 2002 season.

The lowest point for this team since 2003 was the last 2 months of the 2006 season...which, if trends continue, will be eclipsed during the last 2 months of this season.

While ticket prices didn't skyrocket in 2006, that was they year they expanded the bleachers and added 2000 more seats to the ballpark, with management thinking that all the games would sellout...and there were a lot of empty seats in the bleachers late that summer.

But, backing up a bit, the thing this team had going for it in the late 90's and early 00's was Sammy Sosa. People would come to the ballpark, watch the cubs get crushed and watch Sammy belt a couple of homers down Kenmore.

The Cubs have no player worth coming to the ballpark to see right now.

plamorte said:

Speak for yourself, I pay good money to see Ryan Theriot swing at the first pitch and flaunt his boyish good looks.

You would.

Eric From The Dugs said:

I see you only have XL out here on the shelves.

Do you perhaps have this in a "douchebag" or "dumbass?"

MillsChC said:

It's probably because the millions & millions of All-Star voters, including me, have no clue what (nor give a shit about) any of those statistics except batting.

The Cubs get to send 1 player (if that rule still exists), it'll be him... at least it should be him.

Feels like an off-day.

plamorte said:

use my Z gif to brighten up our gloomy outlooks. I DIDN'T post it on twitter as you claimed, it's still ready for virgin eyes

Sorry.

I saw you post something on Twitter, I thought that was it.

AndCounting said:

That should be the Cubs' freakin' slogan.

plamorte said:

I love that idea. Photoshop perhaps?

at what point does Lou's defeatist attitude in the media start to piss off the front office, not that I don't think he's right, or that its funny