Chicago Cubs Thursday Headlines: Lee Just Says No to Anaheim

Chicago Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee walks out ont the field at the beginning of the eighth inning against the Cincinnati Reds at Wrigley Field in Chicago on July 1, 2010. The Reds won 3-2 in 10 innings.   UPI/Brian Kersey Photo via Newscom

At this point, it doesn't matter if the Cubs win or lose. But we could've had something really exciting happen. Except it didn't.

Rested by Lou Piniella alongside Alfonso Soriano and Marlon Byrd, Derrek Lee had no choice but to sit and think about the future throughout the long afternoon, which turned dreary after Randy Wells was lifted in the sixth inning.
Afterward, Lee told reporters he discussed the possible trade with the Angels -- it would have brought prospects to the Cubs -- for about 24 hours before telling Hendry no thanks. He contacted friends who play for the Angels, he said, and had long talks with his family members.

It was an "agonizing'' process, he said, but he is comfortable with the decision to ride out this season.

"I just decided that for me and my family, the best thing to do is to stay here,'' Lee said. "That was the decision I made. Jim and I had good conversations about it. He has been great about it."

In other exciting news, Carlos Zambrano will be back in a Chicago Cubs uniform this weekend.

Manager Lou Piniella wasn't put concerned that Zambrano gave up three runs in an inning against Albuquerque Tuesday night.

"The reports were that he threw the ball better than the results,'' Piniella said. "He hit a batter, walked a batter, should've turned a double play ball and (gave up) a couple of bloop singles. The reports were he threw the ball better than the outcome and that's really what we're concerned about more than anything else."

Zambrano made four appearances during a rehab assignment that followed his trip to the restricted list. He's expected to speak to the team before Friday's game, clearing the last hurdle in returning to the big leagues after the meltdown in the U.S. Cellular Field dugout.

I'm glad he'll finally have the chance to apologize for offending everyone's sensibilities. Those poor guys were probably subjected to language they'd never before heard. Big Z's return comes just in the nick of time, as the bullpen has looked horrid the last two days.

The Cubs' bullpen was a mess in the Houston series. Relievers allowed 12 runs and 16 hits in 8 2/3 innings. One of the guys who was hit hard -- most likely Brian Schilitter -- will be sent to Iowa to clear room for Zambrano.

Ted Lilly hasn't yet been traded, and some people are already discussing whether or not he'll return as a free agent next year.

The big question about left-hander Ted Lilly isn't so much whether he'll be traded this week but whether he'll come back next season as a free agent.

The Cubs say they won't make that kind of decision until after the season. And several factors might come into play, not the least of which is how quickly and efficiently they can unload right-hander Carlos Zambrano.

But with a continuing emphasis on grooming high-end prospects into a contending core, the value of having respected, tone-setting veterans such as Lilly and right-hander Ryan Dempster at the front of the rotation is part of the thought process going forward.

''We'll see,'' Lilly said. ''We're getting toward the end of July, and those kinds of things are a ways away. So many things between now and then can happen.

What the fuck is this "how quickly and effectively they can get rid of Z" shit?

More media derp, or is the team basically saying they're going to get rid of their best pitcher for no good reason at all?

plamorte said:

WHY THE F HASN'T THERE BEEN A TRADE YET COME, ON HENDRY! Sorry I'm anxious for the fire sale to commence. On a brighter note, Cubs lost again and the standings didn't change so I didn't have to edit the flags, sweet.

It's fairly simple...

Hendry can't make trades because everyone he sign that he wants to trade (except Ryan Theriot who doesn't have enough playing time yet) has a no-trade clause...or a partial no-trade clause.

Yep. That's it. And all of these loser players want to continue to play for this loser team because they are a bunch of losers.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Let it out, Doc. Let it out.

sloan peterson said:

But how do you REALLY feel?

Don't get me started...I'm put my mortgage broker into tears (literally) last night after giving him a 15 minute tongue lashing that, after reflecting on it, I wouldn't have wished upon my worst enemy.

Of course, I can't say all I want about how big of losers that these losers are...but I'm the one that's homeless right now, so I guess I'm a loser too.

you're not a loser, we are all winners!

Oh...we are all winners...

We just cheer for a bunch of losers.

sloan peterson said:

The key phrase for Lee is "ME & my family". He threw in the family, which is weird, because he lives in CA? It's not like he would drag his family to Alaska or something. Or does hes actually think he will get another big contract from the Cubs? Or anywhere else? OR-he is going to retire and thinks WGN/ESPN will give him a job?

Cubs Psychologist said:

Just read on MLB Trade Rumors that the Mets are out on Lilly because they don't want to take on his remaining contract. We will make no trades by the deadline. WAY TO GO CUBS!!

I really don't think Lilly is going to get traded, I'm not placing all the blame on the Cubs, and I like that he's going to be on the team, but I can't believe no team has grabbed him yet

berselius said:

They really need to kick in some $$ and make sure they get prospects back. They were going to pay it anyway, and that amount of salary relief is nothing in the long run

off days are boring

hmmmm, The Chicago National League Ball Club is neither a Club nor Chicago, discuss

Cubs Psychologist said:

Here you go...

From Google,

This company has thrilled and (mostly) disappointed baseball fans for a long time. Chicago National League Ball Club operates the Chicago Cubs franchise of Major League Baseball, which has gone without a World Series title since 1908. The team was formed as the Chicago White Stockings in 1876 and bore several monikers (Colts, Orphans, Spuds) before settling on the Cubs in 1907. Despite the lack of championships, Chicagoans still flock to famed Wrigley Field (the second-oldest ballpark in MLB, after Boston's Fenway Park) to see their Cubbies play. A group led by billionaire

so, how do we petition to have a Chicago Spuds Throwback Day?

If I can bring potatoes to the ballpark to throw on the field, I'm all for it.

baturkey said:

A little off day amusement:

A painting of Chewbacca on a giant squirrel fighting Nazis.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Spectacular.

secdelahc said:

I think this is the first day this summer that I can say I'm bored. Although I've still got a ton of work to do, I'm just not motivated to do it.

plamorte said:

Oswalt trade done. Now, Lilly is best available SP...

Why is everyone convinced Ted Lilly can be traded? I do believe he has at least a partial no-trade clause.

Typically in situations like this, the player has 10 or 15 teams to which he would allow a trade to. Any chance that Lilly would pull a D-Lee on us and decide to remain a loser?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I feel like somewhere he's insinuated that he wouldn't stand in the way of a trade if the team felt it was in its best interests. But I might be imagining it, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Dmband said:

Only the Cubs can screw up a fire sale.

Jesus. This will be more and an indictment against Hendry than any of the trades he ACTUALLY made.

Ricketts cant be happy.

Yep...all the crickets are really starting to bother me right now.

What do Jim Hendry and my mortgage broker have in common?

Neither can get a deal done!

Cool...Jim Riggleman breaks another pitcher!

(Strasburg goes on the DL in Washington!)

I just read that the White Sox are explore other left handed hitters right now besides Adam Dunn...

Perhaps they could take Kosuke...or Fontenot...Lilly bats left-handed too, doesn't he?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Didn't they offer even more money to Fukudome than the Cubs? Then they should be willing to pay the rest of his contract, right?

In fact, they should give us Jake Peavy and about $9 million to get our bad right fielder.

That's the Mariners did and see how that turned out for them?

Edelweiss said:

The Cubs don't want to trade Fontenot. He makes less money than Theriot. and can play three positions, doing it better than Theriot. The Cubs turne down three offers for him in June, and one on May. They are showcasing Theriot as trade bait, and if they can move him, Hendry deserves some credit. If they can't, they may regret not movinf Fontenot when they had a chance. Four of the six teams interested in him have found someone else, and two gave up.

Because the Pirates only play the Cubs a few more times this season, they decided to release Brendan Donnelly.

Sorry about all the continuous posts here...I'm catching up on all the news I've missed while working hard (unsuccessfully) at buying a house.

No, it's great, as I'm trying to keep up via my phone.

Stuck in the car w/ 2 kids and 2 dogs in Minneapolis and I'm missing all the news! Who got Oswalt? Can you guys keep posting as trades happen?

All you need to know is that the Phillies are going to try making a run at the NL East by adding Oswalt...

And the Orioles are going to try making a run at the AL East by adding Buck Showalter.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Let's not forget that they have Corey Patterson!!

and Will Ohman

and Jake Fox

and Cesar Izturiz

and Felix Pie

and Luis Montanez

plamorte said:

And the crown jewel, Andy MacPhail

Dmband said:

Does anyone else think that what Lee did was kind of bogus. I mean, unless he intends on resigning for less money with the Cubs, its kind of ridiculous that he would deny us prospects.

Am I wrong? I realize he has other issues outside of baseball as to why he would want to stay, but if you really "loved the city and the team" wouldnt you want to help them out?

I can't decide how I feel about this, unless when talking to the Angels players and his family they decided Anaheim was not a fun place to move to for the next 2 months

its Lee, so he gets a little latitude, but the whole thing confuses me

Cubs Psychologist said:

The Rangers are looking for 2nd baseman and we have two to spare. Once again, we can offer a 2-for-1 sale...A little Cajun Persuasion, Theriot and Fontenot. They both have a championship under their belt (college) and can serve as a utility player (by definition...I think?)Work some magic, Jim!!

honestly, those two don't cost enough money...

The Rangers are only interested in trading for players that can compound their debt problems.

Cubs Psychologist said:

True, hence to Cantu acquisition.

the Cubs have players that can help out with that

Edelweiss said:

Theriot and Fontenot do not belong on the same team. They can hang out in the off-season. Fontenot would probably enjoy being in Texas, but the Cubs want to hold onto him.

Dmband said:

I believe Oswalt to the Phillies.

Cantu traded from Marlins to the Rangers.

Dmband said:

Doc-

I guess I should have read the Examiner prior to asking for your thoughts on D Lee...right on btw

I wasn't in a good mood yesterday...so I probably came off a bit harsh.

But the truth is...I've wanted Derrek Lee gone for 2 years. I guess I'll have to wait until this off-season to see that happen...but the Cubs won't get anything in return.

FrankS said:

I was listening to Mully and Hanley on The Score this morning. I believe it was Brian Hanley who said the Cubs could have exercised two options when Lee refused the trade. The first would be to tell DLee that he'd never start another game for the Cubs and see whether he'd still want to stick around. The second would have been to offer him a cut-rate contract for 2011 only. Hanley mentioned $4,000,000 but you could go lower or higher depending on how charitable you felt.

Since the Cubs don't have a 1st base prospect that is ready and the big year free agent first sackers is going to be 2012, this might not be a terrible option and it would prove to everyone just how much DLee loves Chicago.

Put ramirez at 1st...or Colvin...or Nady...or Soriano...or...

Someone somewhere is going to pay D-Lee $10 million next year.

The Padres get Miguel Tejada from Baltimore....probably for some ex-cub.

Dmband said:

Tampa Bay emerging as the leader in the Adam Dunn sweepstakes.

not going to happen...

Adam Dunn only plays for shitty teams.

secdelahc said:

Since there haven't been a lot of blockbuster trades, can we start making up rumors?

I heard Albert pujols to the Blue Jays.

See? This is much more amusing than actual trades!

No...no way...

The Blue Jays have no need for Pujols...why would they ever want to have a player like him?

Besides, I heard that Kevin Gregg will invoke his no-trade clause in a trade to the Cardinals, which is who I heard St. Louis wanted in the deal.

secdelahc said:

Funny.... I heard it was because Aaron Miles refused to go unless Jim Edmonds was traded there also.

sloan peterson said:

What are the chances of Hendry picking up Donnelly?

Edelweiss said:

Here's something I have been wondering about, and my source has no clue. A player gets traded to another team, with different colors. He will play immediately. His pants are custom tailored.
If he is 6'1½, and about 200 (average MLB size), maybe this is no problem, but what if he is Prince Fielder (300 pounds and a EEEEE shoe width), Jon Rauch (6'11", and a size 22 shoe), or Mike Fontenot (5'4", and a size 6½ shoe? Do the tailors and cobblers work feverishly around the clock?