Chicago Cubs Sunday Headlines & Game Thread: Cubs @ Dodgers, 7:05 Central

Jul 10, 2010; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Chicago Cubs center fielder Marlon Byrd (24) eludes the tag of Los Angeles Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis (17) to score in the second inning at Dodger Stadium. Photo by Image of Sport Photo via Newscom

The Dodgers scored two runs on another Keystone Cops play by the Cubs' defense on Saturday. Were that the only bit of the game you'd seen Saturday, you would've expected another 14-3 loss. Instead, that was the only costly blemish the Cubs made all day in a 7-2 victory.

Tom Gorzelanny pitched 6 innings to run his record to 4-5, and the Cubs got home runs form Geovany Soto and Aramis Ramirez as they improved to 4-2 on the road trip with one more game to play before the all-star break.

A little more of this over the first 21/2 months of the season and maybe the record wouldn't be 39-49.

"That's the way you put it down on paper," said manager Lou Piniella, who watched the second half of the game from the cool and comfort of the clubhouse after being kicked out after the fifth inning for arguing a call on the bases.

Unfortunately, Lou didn't go out in a blaze of glory. But he did give us a play-by-play after the game:

"It was a continuation on the play," Piniella said after the Cubs' 7-3 victory. "I had a pretty good view of it from the dugout. The baserunner was out, and Jerry convinced me he wasn't until one of my coaches saw the replay. He sort of baited me out there, but it's all right.

"I told him, 'You missed the call.' He said, 'I can't hear you. I can't hear you.' Some guys have better hearing than others, I guess."

Carlos Silva will start today despite his calf issues, and the rotation will be reconfigured after the break. To be honest, I couldn't have told you what order the rotation was in now.

Ryan Dempster, Ted Lilly, Randy Wells, Gorzelanny and Carlos Silva will start out the second half, in that order.
"We're giving Silva as much time as possible after the break," Piniella said, referring to the right-hander's sore right calf.

Silva will pitch Sunday despite the injury, though he may be limited to five innings since the bullpen can be emptied out with three days of rest for the All-Star break.

Despite having won 4 of 6 on this road trip and assurances from the players that they'll turn it around in the second half, trade rumors are still floating around the Cubs.

Baseball sources tell us that while the Mets are definitely interested in getting a deal done for Cubs pitcher Ted Lilly don't discount the Reds, who are actively looking for a starter. The Giants also are in the market for pitching and they had a scout at Wrigley Field last week watching Tom Gorzelanny, who is very appealing to clubs because of his low salary and ability to start or relieve.

Today's game is actually tonight's game, as the Cubs will be featured on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball. It's Carlos Silva (9-2, 2.96) against Vicenta Padilla (3-2, 4.72). Game time is 7:05 Central.

FrankS said:

Everybody watching the World Cup or what?

sloan peterson said:

Yes,and Spain is ahead 1-0. I knew it would be tough for the Dutch when they explained the Englidh referee had made calls against the Dutch in a prior world Cup. Spain doesn't deserve to win- 3times they missed easy goals!But the World Cup is better than the Angels game where they are digging up the 6 Angel fans in Oakland.

At least Spain had shots on goal. The Netherlands hardly got anywhere near Spain's goal. I said going in that I thought Spain had the best shot at it.

The Ref called a good, tight game. I thought he was the best I saw in the entire tournament.

sloan peterson said:

I know that Spain had more chances- that's it. The Dutch players fall down,Spain has a clear shot,but muffs it 3 times.Only when the Dutch were undermanned,could Spain finally score. Still I would rather have small groups of cheery Spain fans going through Pasadena, then 3 or 4 cities having riots, which is what would/does happen when Mexico wins...

and he wasgiven a tough match. there were many stupid plays on the pitch. the nederland team was especially obtuse. the spaniards took advantage of the holes and scored, cant blame them for that.

thank you - thank you - for turningme on to soccre, julie.

sloan peterson said:

Oh, and I consider last night's TRUE score to be 7-1,since the 2 runs were a gift to the Dodgers from the refs....

Teebob2000 said:

refs = you've been watching too much WC.

sloan peterson said:

The WC made better lunchtime viewing than the usual soaps/judge shows-even in Spanish.....

sloan peterson said:

So sad about Bob Shepherd-fewer and fewer classic sportcasters are left.....

Agree. Especially losing Ernie Harwell and Harry Kalas so recently. :(

Teebob2000 said:

Was he any relation to Bob Sheppard?

Or Jack Shepherd?

Every game Silva looks more and more like he's remembering that he's Carlos Silva.

Please trade him.

Someone please explain to me why we wasted all this $$$$ on Nady when we already had Hufflepuff?

If anyone triest to esplain you can execute.

LOL--Silva got tossed!

I hope he yells at someone and gets sent to counseling.

LOLyes

MillsChC said:

Any chance in the near future of ESPN deciding to dump their MLB rights, and just be a football/basketball/soccer network so I would finally have zero reasons to turn it on?

Yeah, why dont uou also hope top be a milliojare

sloan peterson said:

Someone gave the ESPN Announcers Dodger Suck-up pills. Even as they admit to the 3 bad calls by first base umps, they lay on the syrup for the Dodgers. I's expect it from Orel, bur usually Miller/Morgan aren't so full of love for the Dodgers. I think the chances of Cubs being no-hit are excellent,unfortunately, as the first plate ump is giving Padilla the strikes, the home plate ump won't...

sloan peterson said:

This game is ticking me off so much, I'm losing whatever spelling ability I have...

Hey guys, if you need to vent, you can grade the Cubs players/Lou/Hendry so far and send your assessment to @georgeofman. He may read some of them on the post-game show.

Make me proud.

sloan peterson said:

I emailed it! Please let me know if he reads it...

secdelahc said:

Ugh. Is it really 7-0? I'm so tired of watching this team.

Ha! Cashner hit someone as payback. I love that.

Angelene's (@ataccini) summary of the Cubs game in less than 140 characters:

"Almost worth sitting through phoned-in effort just to see Cashner plunker. Almost. Happy All-Star break, Cubs fans. L."

Edelweiss said:

Now that you don't have to get upset at the Cubs for 3 days, here is the latest gossip from the Cubs organization.....He's 16 inches shorter than LeBron, and nowhere near a star, but he is the most sought-after Cub. Several teams have injuries, and need help now, not after July 31. There is talk that when the Phillies come to town after the All-Star break, Nike will have to custom-make some pairs of size 6½ red spikes for a certain little someone. But, for that to happen, they have to also take a big-money star off the Cubs hands. Should they not want to take on a big salaried former star, Nike will be able to send some size 10½ red spikes from their warehouse, for a bigger, but still small someone.

Here's ,mine in

Edelweiss said:

Huh.....non capisco, no comprendo, ich verstehe nicht.