Chicago Cubs Monday Headlines: The Day After

Tribune Photo by Jose Osorio

What is there to say this morning? Precious little. The Reds beat Tyler Colvin yesterday, 14-3. Let's look at some not-so-fun facts from yesterday's game.

When Corky Miller can find the jet stream and Drew Stubbs can single-handedly outhomer the entire Cubs team, something strange is happening.

Yes, that Corky Miller, the one who has all of four home runs the last 10 years.

(snip)

So while Miller was putting the ball in the seats, all the non-Colvin Cubs were making only three outs caught by outfielders.

(snip)

On Friday the Cubs lost to the Reds by allowing nine runs on three hits in an ugly seventh inning. On Saturday they won despite leaving a nine-inning franchise-record 17 runners on base.

And on Sunday, they allowed eight or more runs in an inning for a second time during one series for the first time ever at Wrigley Field, according to Cubs historian Ed Hartig. Wrigley opened in 1916.

At least Lou isn't suicidal:

"I'm fine. I am," Piniella said. "I don't like to lose, I don't think anybody does. But what am I going to do, jump off the Hancock building?"

Not that it really matters, but Aramis Ramirez's thumb is hurt again.

''There's no way to put a timetable on it,'' Ramirez said Sunday. ''I aggravated it a couple days ago hitting.''

Ramirez was activated June 25 after spending 15 days on the disabled list because of the injury. He had hits in six consecutive games before going hitless Friday.

''The trainer [Mark O'Neal] came to me the other day and said [Ramirez] had some swelling in the meat part of the hand, and he suggested he get a breather,'' manager Lou Piniella said. ''That's what we're doing.''

What's that? You want yet another measurement of the Cubs' offensive futility?

The Cubs are putting up dreadful numbers on offense. They have hit only .202 (23-for-114) with runners in scoring position in the last 15 games. They have scored in only four of the last 47 innings.

And does anyone else decipher Ted Lilly's quote as meaning "please get me out of here"?

With every loss, with every game the Cubs fall back in the standings, Ted Lilly knows the trade rumors are just going to get louder.

And he knows his name is going to be one of those front and center as those rumors intensify.

"Over the years I've learned there's so many rumors that are thrown out (there)," Lilly said following Sunday's 14-3 loss to the Reds at Wrigley Field. "It doesn't make any sense to pay attention to them."

AndCounting said:

I thought it was funny that reporters asked Ted Lilly about trade rumors. It's kind of like asking your next-door neighbor about the possibility that they may have already won $10 million. You know they want it, but if they talk about it like they think it's going to happen, it won't come true.

This team should wear paper bags over their heads in public. Seriously, I'm embarrassed on their behalf.

Teebob2000 said:

I'd think you'd be embarrassed enough about your own drunken slurred postings yesterday; though -- because of the general subject matter involved (i.e. the Cubs) -- it's been awhile since this blog was SOOOO entertaining!!

embarrassed . . . Why? Are you a good typist when you drink? You only say that because you never saw the posts back when gravedigger, sec, and proggy were up all night talking to each other.

Teebob2000 said:

Embarrassed in an 'OMG did I actually type that??' kind of way, not a hanging your head in abject shame kind of way. It was quite funny for the rest of us. It's my first exposure to an out-of-her-mind-drunk CJ...

Those were the days.

How ya feelin today?

Also, I enjoyed your drunken FB message to me last night. You were at my level yesterday. Bravo.

so it was really, really hot outside yesterday. my neighbor's party started at 1:00, and he made these killer margaritas that went down like water. so by 3:00 or so, I was completely in the bag.

Luckily, the 4th is a marathon, not a sprint, so (after a short nap), i made it through the rest of the night just swell.

samurai frog said:

Should this be an A.A. meeting or Cubs blog ? Cub fans... Sad for you.

i feel fine. my only lingering issue is that someone jumped on my back while i was laying on my stomach last night (and wasn't prepared for it), so this morning my back is KILLING me.

secdelahc said:

Heh. Those were amusing to read the next day.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Except for Tylermania!

Gotta love baseball players. Football players play with any number of broekn finger/toes/ribs. Basketball players wear a mask over broekn faces. Soccer players play with sprained ankles, broken arms, etc. Baseball is the only sport where a guy will miss half the season because his thumb hurts.

AndCounting said:

Yes, if the World Cup has taught us anything it's that soccer players are tough. Not just anyone can get up from taking a dramatic dive into the turf and writhing in mock agony.

A couple of differences, though.

Baseball is the only of those sports where one is expected to play every single day. The others have time to recover, and know that after the time is up they'll have even more time to rest.

Baseball also requires, I think, more precise control over each of the muscles involved. Kicking or throwing a ball doesn't have to be the most precise thing in the entire world. The end zones/nets/etc are huge. In baseball, you need every little thing to work to connect your think wooden stick to the small ball traveling at speeds 80-100mph.

I imagine trying to swing a bat with any effectiveness with a jammed up thumb is probably not going to work out too well.

AndCounting said:

Those are both much better points than my snark. I'd also just add that missed time due to sore thumbs is relatively rare in baseball. At this point, Ramirez being out with a sore thumb is the equivalent of Jack Haley missing time with the Jordan-era Bulls due to a sore butt cheek. The likelihood of either making a positive contribution by playing is pretty slim.

Edelweiss said:

It's a way to save face for Rami. It is also a way for the Cubs to show what Fontenot can do. Four teams have asked about trading for him, and the Cubs want to get maximun value for him. They can't bench Theriot or Castro, who are hitting, but they can rest them once in a while, and play Fontenot at third to show off his vesatility. Mikey will be the one to go, but he will be the lucky one, getting rescued from this sinking ship.

millertime said:

You're like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.

Edelweiss said:

Actually I am an older version of Kristin Chenoweth.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Or, in Jamie Moyer's case, 60-80 mph.

i disagree about kicking a ball not requiring the same degree of muscle control. soccer players don't just kick a ball, they control it and dance around it. players spend years working on ball control skills: dribbling, offensive moves, defensive moves, putting different kinds of english on the ball. it's much more complex than just kicking it. i would say the same for basketball players.

from experience, i can tell you that trying to control a soccer ball with a broken toe sucks.

i can see a pitcher going down with finger issues, but i also feel like baseball players are sort of conditioned to

(hit 'post' too early)

not play if the slightest little thing goes wrong with their bodies.

Edelweiss said:

By the way, one of the Cubs players is not 100% potty trained.

MB21 said:

The difference isn't in the skill it takes to play the sport. It's that there are back-ups in baseball that are capable of playing at a level that back-ups in other sports cannot. When a player has a lingering injury (but not serious) in baseball he stops playing when it's expected that his backup will perform better. The same thing is true in other sports as well, but the difference is the quality of the backups. If you give LBJ a broken nose, you're simply not going to find any player in the sport who can play the game as well as he can. Give Pujols a broken nose (and presumably a swollen face) and there are a number of players on his own team that could play as well as he would with that injury. As a result, Pujols would sit so he can get healthy.

Thats true about the soccer players... You (and my bf) have really gone a long way towards changing my mind about soccer. Watching what they do on their feet is actually really impressive.

secdelahc said:

I'm off to the game in about an hour. Any horrible insults you want me to yell at the players today?

just keep yelling "DBacks? More like DBags!"

I bet they've never heard that one before!

secdelahc said:

And here I was thinking about yelling at the Cubs players...

Oh, the CUBS players.

"You suck, ________! (fill in player's name)" should do it.

Umbra said:

Hey Conor Jackson! You were a real dick to me in high school! How come you never invited me to any parties?

berselius said:

Probably because he was traded to the A's

oh . . . uh. i guess this is our game thread.

sloan peterson said:

As,once again to chance to see the game,please describe the carnage in detail...

sloan peterson said:

it's no chance,CN......

baturkey said:

The Cubs haven't won a series opener since May 25th.

Justin Berg up, Jeff Stevens down.

As if it matters.

PsyMar1 said:

Berg almost got into the game after Gorzelanny walked the first 3 of the third inning.

kiwibob said:

What's rather sad is, I woke up this morning and read this thread for its usual banter and to discover who won the game*... I am still none the wiser. It's obviously a fairly solid indication that, despite all the noises from the clubhouse, the sentient fans have given up on this season and in some cases (good work CJ) have decided to drown their sorrows in a trough of tequila.
My question is this... it's not even the All-Star break yet! What the hell are we going to do with our time now?

*The Cubs did apparently

I'm pretty sure we won. But from what I saw of it, it weren't pretty.

baturkey said:

Yup. Cubs pitchers gave up a lot of walks.

secdelahc said:

It wasn't pretty, but it was a win.

sloan peterson said:

But a wins, a win,right?

secdelahc said:

I'd like to note that the Cubs are 1-0 in games that I attend. I am washing the outfit I wore today in the hope that it will bring another win tomorrow.