A 2010 Cubs Rant: By Aidan, Age 9 (Plus the latest trade rumors)

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for aidan&colin.jpg

The author in (slightly) happier times at Wrigley Field (shown here with younger brother, Colin)

(with typing help from cubbiejulie)

This season for the Cubs is going really bad. I don't think they're even going to make it to the World Series. I've seen worse out of every player than ever before.

Last night's game was probably one of the worst games they've ever played . .  .this season. Tyler Colin was probably the only one out there doing what he was supposed to do.

The big question (that I have to say) is why do the Cubs screw up every game?

I see the Rockies might have a chance, after that last game with the Cubs, to go to the World Series. I don't see how the Cubs are going to make it to the World Series at this rate. I've seen them do better in different years, but this one has to be one of the worst years ever. If I'm not mistaken, I don't know WHY it is that no one has take Derrek Lee off our hands yet. Derrek Lee has had a horrible year this year. I almost thought the Angels were going to take him off our hands, but I guess we're stuck with him.

I can't even LOOK AT the Cubs this season. That's all I have to say about the Cubs this horrible year.

Sincerely, Aidan, August 1, 2010

(cubbiejulie takes over)

First, I would like to say that I wholeheartedly agree with every word "written" by today's guest blogger. Secondly, we're not going to talk about last night's game, because it's only going to make me mad.

It looks like there was plenty o'chatter while we were all snoozing last night. Let's start breaking it down.

First. .  . exactly WHO is still in on Ted Lilly?

Sadly, Theriot's name seems to have dropped out of this rumor. That's terrible news. But alas! All hope is not lost!

The Diamondbacks offered second baseman Kelly Johnson to the Cubs for Ryan Theriot and lefty James Russell in return, writes ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine.

Aaaaaand?!?!?! Do it! Do it!!!!!!

Then, there's this:

SATURDAY, 8:40am: The Cubs rejected an offer of Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo for Zambrano, tweets SI's Jon Heyman.  Zambrano has $17.83MM more remaining on his contract than they do, so I'm assuming the Mets wanted cash in the deal.  Heyman says the Cubs did not want to take Castillo.

Aaaaand just like that, my dream of a fire sale has been reduced to a nightmare of making a single move before the deadline: Releasing Bob Howry, which they did to make room for Big Z's return before last night's game.

We've got 2 hours until the trade deadline, and it's cloudy and foggy here at the lake. I'll be here monitoring twitter and mlbtr.com until something happens.

Something will happen, right?

RIGHT?

RIGHT?!?!?

--MGb said:

Actually, 5 hours. The trade dealine is 4:00pm EST

oh seriously? why did I think it was noon?

cadarnell said:

outta the mouths of babes .... great summery of the season there Aidan ....

Dmband said:

Poor kid.

I actually feel bad for all young cub fans. Its like you want to tell them they are making a very poor life choice, but they wont listen....eveyone has to learn the hard way I guess.

i do feel bad for him when i look back at how excited he was for the season to start.

then again, it's his own fault for being my kid.

FrankS said:

As if he had any choice? ;-)

FrankS said:

Maybe what we need to get the fire sale started is for me to go on a rant about Jim Hendry. Of course, he doesn't have to complete any trades today to still have a fire sale. He has the August 31st deadline as well. I can't imagine that too many of the Cubs would be claimed to stop any trades from going through. But I will say that I'm on the record that Hendry should have been removed from his current job and somebody else put in charge of moving players this summer because I had no faith that Hendry would get much in return.

Dmband said:

Can anyone help me understand waivers?

I would assume, given the money situation, a guy like Fukudome would clear waivers.

Does that mean the Cubs are no longer responsible for his contract?

PsyMar1 said:

No, it does not. Clearing waivers only means you can be traded until August 31st. However, if you are claimed on waivers, the other team can either release your contract to the other team, work out a deal with the team that claimed you, or pull you back from waivers entirely.

cubby23(eric) said:

Bravo for the youngster, the Tribune,Sun-times , or internet should make a spot for more expert analysis from Aiden.

I too, wish there was someone (ahem Julie), that would give their youngsters better warning of the impending heartache and heartbreak that will haunt their baseball fan existence simply because they follow this sad, very sad ball club.

cubby23(eric) said:

*Aidan (sorry for the mispelling)

Edelweiss said:

With his coloring and facial features, the kid on the right looks like Mike Fontenot did at age 15. He's probably about the same size, too. In fact, the picture looks like it was lifted from his high school baseball photo.