The Chicago Cubs: Even Crazier Than Carlos

zscared.jpg

Someone please tell me what I'm missing here.

Carlos Zambrano will be placed on the restricted list, undergo a treatment program and will not return to the team until after the All-Star break, the Cubs said Monday.

In the aftermath of Zambrano's dugout tirade Friday, Cubs general manager Jim Hendry spoke Monday to representatives from Major League Baseball and the players union, as well as to the pitcher and his agent, Barry Praver.

Zambrano's indefinite suspension will be limited to three games and end Tuesday, when he will be placed on the restricted list. He will receive full pay and benefits while on the restricted list, though he was not paid for the three days he was suspended.

"We've obviously had a lot of transgressions in the past with Carlos," Hendry said. "So I think we all agree it's time he got help and then maybe address the apologies later."

Hendry added Zambrano will not "formally travel with the team before the (All-Star) break. "

Sooooo throwing a fit in the dugout because you're sick and tired of your team playing like geriatric zombies = psych evaluation.

All right then.

Look, your employer can force you to do whatever they want, But as a former public defender, I can tell you that even REALLY crazy people don't get ordered to psych evals all that often. And frankly, it seems like the time to evaluate Z's sanity would have been after he punched a teammate in the face, rather than after he went into the dugout screaming at the wind.

I've watched the replay of Carlos' tirade over and over, and I still maintain that, while he might have been yelling things ABOUT his teammates, he certainly wasn't yelling at them. At least until Derrek Lee decided to pipe up with his helpful advice to "shut the f*ck up."

Look, I can understand someone for a psych eval if they're a police officer, a teacher, even someone who works in a regular office. But this is BASEBALL, kids. A sport where we celebrate, even urge, old men to scream in each other's faces until it looks like both of them are two seconds short of a stroke. This is a sport where kicking dirt on someone's shoes is considered the ultimate insult, where people's emotions often get the best of Gatorade coolers, where we laugh about Ryne Sandberg getting ejected for yelling in support of his team, but villify Zambrano for yelling AT his team.

To be perfectly honest, I hope Zambrano goes somewhere else and wins 5 Cy Young awards. I don't think the way the Cubs are treating him is fair or even reasonable. I understand that there have been issues with Z's emotions in the past, but hurting the feelings of the likes of Jeff Baker and Ryan Theriot is hardly grounds for suggesting someone has mental problems.

I'll be back later on today with all the news about Mark Prior's big return to baseball!

Cubs Psychologist said:

I've been on the outs about this entire situation until I read that they are making Z get a psych eval. As a psychologist, this is Bull!! There is no need for a psych eval because he gets animated and pissed when he (or others) don't perform as they should. Hell, should we give all football players psych evals because they scream, yell, hit things and people? This is ridiculous. They are driving him out the door...probably to the South Side. I'm pissed as a psychologist and even more pissed as a Cubs fan.

is it possible we are all reading into this a little too much? I can't find where the team ever said he was getting a psych evaluation, perhaps its something more specific to "right" and "wrong" ways of expressing yourself in front of a camera

that being said, I'm kinda over Zambrano's tirades, its the same conversation every season, there is talk about the New Z, or his maturity, whatever. he's gone from being one of my favorite players to just one more reason for people to say "you're a Cubs fan? why?"

Cubs Psychologist said:

"The doctors will evaluate him in their level of expertise. I am certainly not anywhere close in that level of expertise," Hendry said. "He will be evaluated, then directed on areas to address some of his deficiencies and he will be required by MLB and the Players' Association to follow the directions of the doctor."
What kind of "evaluation" you think that is? It's not for kidney stones. Psych eval for anger management. It is what it is.

Suburban Kid said:

"address some of his deficiencies"

So sensitive....Jim seems real concerned with Carlos getting help. Not. This gets him on the restricted list, which gets them a replacement for the bullpen.

now that I totally buy

fair enough

you know what annoys me the most about this? at some point I feel like I'm either defending a player that I think needs a reality check or a front office that has screwed up my favorite team

I'm done with the whole thing, they all annoy me

Are you the one who they're sending to see Zambrano?

Cubs Psychologist said:

I wish!!! I wonder if they do have a psychologist on staff. I constantly check mlbjobs to see if they are hiring. If I was seeing him, I don't know about an eval as oppose to just talking with him.

Teebob2000 said:

In my (albeit limited) experience, isn't "talking" of what an eval would primarily consist in terms of interaction with the subject?

Cubs Psychologist said:

Most evals (appropriate and effective), require some talking, a history of behavior, and some form of testing.

--MGb said:

Who knows. At this point maybe an "Evaluation" is just talking and maybe Jimmy is just using the wrong terminology. Z has a short fuse and anything that can be done to make that fuse longer and him less crazy is not a bad thing. So Eval or Evaluation to a layperson might mean one thing while to a professional might mean something entirely different. Don't assume. He's on the restricted list so they can add a BP pitcher. Plain. Simple.

That'll be $125. Next?

Cubs Psychologist said:

Good price!!

melissa said:

During spring training it was reported that the Cubs do now have a sports psychologist on staff. It was my understanding that this person was a full time employee just like the guys on the training staff.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Thanks for the info!!

baturkey said:

I completely agree about the not in front of the cameras part. I've heard I think Pat and Ron saying that in the passageway between the dugout and the lockerroom anything that can be hit by a bat has been.

Gzeeb said:

It's about time they did a Psych Evaluation on Big Z...You as a Licensed Psychologist should be able to see that it was the right call...In Z's world it's always every ones fault but his own...Reminds me of the little kid who always blames everyone & everything instead of taking responsiblity for his own actions or short comings.....Hopefully in the long run, Z will get his head screwed on straight & get back to pitching the way he did did before the big contract was given to him...

Cubs Psychologist said:

Eval the right call...not sure about that. Just because he blames other people (T.O.) does not mean he needs a psych eval. In most cases, psych evals are done when there is a threat of danger and safety. Does he need to learn better ways to express his emotions...HELL YEAH!! We all have said that since day one. Does he need to take responsibility for his own actions...HELL YEAH.

As Melissa pointed out, they have a psychologist on staff. What in the hell is he doing? Put him to work.

Suburban Kid said:

"hurting the feelings of the likes of Jeff Baker and Ryan Theriot is hardly grounds for suggesting someone has mental problems"

I'm with you, and thanks for the sanity. Asshole =/= psycho. They don't do the hatchet job if Z is pitching well, and they don't do it if the Cubs are in contention. It's a diversion to get the focus off of how bad the Cubs suck this year, end of story.

J Pep said:

Just to throw in my two cents, my wife is just an average fan and even she thinks the front office has been trying to push Z out the door all season long. And for all those people who are wanting to get rid of Z, would they say the same thing if he was going to St. Louis...

MB21 said:

for what little it's worth, it sounds like Zambrano wanted to go to get "treatment." I agree with you that the Cubs are without a doubt crazier than Carlos. This is a team that hasn't won in over 100 years and considers themselves one of the best organizations in baseball.

AndCounting said:

I suspect his desire to get treatment is on par with his desire to go to the bullpen. Carlos Zambrano is the biggest team player ever.

If we had signatures here, "This is a team that hasn't won in over 100 years and considers themselves one of the best organizations in baseball. - MB21" would be my signature.

thisyearcub said:

I, for one, applaud this. I'm not going to speculate whether it's a psych evaluation or counseling or what, but it's obvious Zambrano needs help. As is the case with many people, they don't realize the error of their ways and that they are spiraling until something drastic happens.

I do agree that this probably should have been addressed a few years ago after the Barrett incident, but am glad Zambrano is seeking help and hope the best for him, although it seems unlikely the bridges between him and the Cubs can be mended.

The Mariners were smart enough to aid Milton Bradley when he asked for help, and it seems to have worked (although as we know, Bradley can be set off by things as random as a light being out on the scoreboard). I guess we'll check in on everything after the AS Break. Cubs should be about 20 games out by then.

AndCounting said:

Julie, out of curiosity, have you found this statement from Mashable to be true?

Our top story this morning: "Facebook Becoming a Prime Source for Divorce Case Evidence" - http://bit.ly/bGMAR7

Cubs Psychologist said:

I have read numerous articles about this and on my end, I have witnessed and seen couples bring in transcripts from facebook in divorce cases. Crazy stuff!! Would you agree, Julie?

I would completely agree with that. I've had two cases recently where I've attached items from FB are evidence.

thisyearcub said:

That's the perfect picture of Zambrano, BTW. That face screams "unstable."

I don't think he's unstable, I think he's an emotional hothead who has a problem with losing his temper. This is most likely why he's a baseball player and not a UN Ambassador.

Who cares if a baseball player has a temper? I sure don't. And I've begun believing this team is pushing him out the door since they sent him to the bullpen.

Jeez, if you want to see someone yelling at their teammates, watch any QB in the NFL and his favorite receiver when things aren't going right.

This whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

not to pick on you, but you're contradicting yourself
"Who cares if a baseball player has a temper? I sure don't."

this is not the stance you took with Bradley, I'm not saying they are the same person, or the same situation, but you definitely discussed his anger management and temper issues. now I'm not an expert, but I imagine this sort of issue has an escalating pattern

for the record I do care if a player has a temper, I don't think just because you can throw a baseball fast means you shouldn't be held to generally accepted views on appropriate behavior, occasionally losing your temper is one thing, impacting your workplace on a regular basis is another

My issues with Bradley had nothing to do with his temper. It had to do with his "blame everyone else for my problems" mentality and his habit of calling everyone "racist" when things didn't go his way. Not to mention a reallly ugly police report regarding domestic battery.

You can say that Carlos blamed everyone else for his problems the other night, but as far as I know, that's the first time he's done it. He doesn't have a history of airing his feelings to the press or throwing his teammates under the bus (Michael Barrett notwithstanding). And keep in mind, we still have no idea what he actually said.

Say what you want about Carlos, at least he never blamed the fans for his problems. He's dealt with intense scrutiny from the media and the Cubs jerking him around all season and he's kept his mouth shut about it. Milton never kept his mouth shut about anything.

Has no one else every worked somewhere where someone just blows up and screams at everyone in the office? is this just a law firm thing? i mean, i don't think someone who does this in an office setting should get a psych eval, either.

life gets icky, people explode and yell. it happens. i feel like the Cubs have just made a much bigger deal out of it than it needed to be.

no, there is no blowing up and yelling at everyone in the office at my office. "losing it" usually means giving someone the cold shoulder or a snarky remark and the occasional raised voice, if someone yells its a really big deal

I was referring to before the Cubs signed Bradley, I would look up the old posts, but I really thought that you were talking about his temper and anger management, and mentioned the police report as an example of why he clearly should be in anger management classes

nope-domestic violence, oddly enough, has almost nothing to do with anger. it has to do with power and control over the victim.

it sounds counter-intuitive, but most abusers are fairly calm when beating up on someone. i'm actually very anti-anger management classes; i think they're fairly worthless.

at any rate, i don't care about anger in baseball. knock over a coooler, punch Chris Young, bump an umpire. . . I really don't care. Those guys all signed up for the same ride.

btw, i'm not denying that i never brought up MB's temper. . . i probably did. but i was more concerned about him alienating himself from the team, like he'd done everywhere else.

there has always been yelling in my offices. I wonder what that says about me?

I wanna work in a lawyer office

Again, completely with you on this, Julie. It is inconceivable to me that they're telling him he needs to see a psychologist. Maybe next they'll suggest a lobotomy.

inconceivable? I do not think that means what you think it means

I don't think its that surprising

Thank you, that was an awesome response.

Dmband said:

So, let me get this straight. For his "outburst" big Z is "forced" to take at LEAST a one month paid vacation.

Got it.

Cubs Psychologist said:

If I had a big "outburst" at my job, I would "forced" to go to jail. Then it would be "suggested" that I apply for unemployment.

HackWilson09 said:

Just like everyone needed to let Milton Bradley know it was HIM all along...

No, the next sentence isn't about Carlos.

The Chicago Cubs organization needs to look at its OWN withered, disfunctional face in its OWN mirror, and realize that it's THEM. It's been THEM for 102 years.

Carlos, sorry, but this year, you get to be the scapegoat. Everything that's going wrong is going to be your fault now, okay?

It's not the fault of listless, overpaid, underperforming veterans, who don't bother to even think about playing the game with strong fundamentals, or anything above a 25-30% expenditure of energy. It's not the manager, who looks these days like he should be wheeled over to the open window by the porch at Sunrise Meadows rest home. It's not the GM who shoves together a bunch of parts that don't fit together logically or chemically, year after year after year. It's not the player development on the farm, where a light-hitting, fast player like Theriot can arrive with the thought in his head that taking walks is "defensive" baseball. The drafting of injured players in the first round... Prospects who have no strike zone judgment and never will... Who the hell knows what's going on down there.

Year One my ass.

Teebob2000 said:

">>while he might have been yelling things ABOUT his teammates, he certainly wasn't yelling at them."

Isn't that the definition of "a distinction without a difference?"

I mean, if he was yelling about what a bunch of lazy, no-talent fielders he had behind him who were costing him runs (regardless of how true or not that is), and those self-same fielders are standing in the dugout mere feet away from him, isn't he more or less yelling AT them even if he's not yelling it while looking directly in their faces?

melissa said:

When Z walked into the dugout he wasn't yelling "at" anyone specifically. It appeared he was just ranting, in general. You then see Derrek Lee yelling at Z to STFU. At that point Z turned walked toward Lee and the two yelled "at" one another. There is a difference even if you may feel it's just semantics.

He wasn't trying to confront or attack anyone specifically. Quite frankly, being disgusted with possibly himself and his teammates in general is different than attacking an individual. Had Zambrano gone in there trying to provoke a confrontation with someone I would see it much differently than what actually occurred. From my personal experience it's much different when a coach or teammate starts yelling at the team in general than when they go after an individual member of the team. Zambrano definitely popped a cork, something he had obviously suppressed even though his team has jacked him back and forth from the bullpen and played poorly behind him on numerous occasions. This team does lead the league in errors. I also see a lot of plays that should be made that aren't. Z has struggled and I'm sure it's even more frustrating for him when the guys behind him are giving the other team 4 or 5 outs.

This whole incident has been blown out of proportion by management. They saw last year that they can scapegoat a player to deflect attention from themselves and the Chicago media and fans will follow right along. They also showed the players in that clubhouse that they can publicly complain about Bradley or Zambrano and that's just fine too. Those other 24 guys ought to realize it could be one of them that gets run out of town next, especially Aramis and Soriano.

Teebob2000 said:

How are you so certain he wasn't trying to confront or attack anyone specifically? Do you know exactly what he said? Or what his intent was when he said it? I don't. I wasn't there and I haven't yet seen any legitimate first-hand reporting on what exactly he said. My point was simply that without knowing exactly what he was saying, we cannot say that he was or wasn't yelling derogatory things about his teammates before being confronted by someone.

But if (hypothetically) he's yelling at the bucket of bubblegum sitting on the bench about how his teammates suck at fielding and don't try hard enough and cost him runs, and his teammates are standing right there in the dugout, and he knows his teammates are standing right there, to my mind he is for all intents and purposes "yelling at" his teammates (albeit perhaps passive-aggressively). If that definition doesn't work for you, fine.

melissa said:

It's obvious from the video he wasn't standing in anyone's face yelling at them. Lou also made comments about how Z was ranting and raving in general until Z and DLee started yelling at one another. Berating an individual in a personal attack is certainly different than yelling at the group that we suck or this team is awful. I do see a difference there. If you think it's all the same, fine.

Kevin Millar has also come out and said he spoke with Z and Z said he was trying to fire up his teammates and not take anyone to task individually. I don't agree with what Z did but it's not like he was trying to attack someone. I'm sorry but from what I witnessed and everything that's been said he didn't seem to pose any threat to his teammates or himself. If he's not a threat to himself or others he shouldn't be required to get a psych eval. If you watched what happened after Z and DLee had words they both went and sat down in the dugout about 2 feet away from one another. The incident seemed to have been over but Lou decided to send Z home anyway. If Z was so out of control, why didn't Lou stop him when he walked past Lou screaming at the top of his lungs? Nobody even flinched until DLee yelled at Z to STFU and the two were yelling face to face.

I can also assure you that if Z made threats to his teammates at any time it sure as hell would have been leaked to the media. This clubhouse holds no water and the management reveals every dirty secret they can to trash a player they want to get rid of. I don't believe that there is more to the story that we don't know, Cubs management would make sure we found out. They have a long established pattern of leaking unfavorable info about players that fall out of their favor. Z's biggest mistake here was having an outburst when he has a rising ERA and a declining win total. I'm also pretty sure he knows that better than anyone.

sloan peterson said:

I also read what Millar said. I wonder if Silva said anything? If not, why? Maybe the blowup wouldn't have happened if someone else brought it up.

cadarnell said:

If I had been in the dugout I would have figured Z was going back out for the 2nd inning, after he and Lee sat down pretty close to each other on the bench. I think the players probably wanted to just keep playing the game and deal with Zs yelling later... and I'll bet if it were possible for Lou to ask each player if they wanted Z out of the game or not they would have said, no just leave him in. Lou screwed up taking him out. This whole thing is soooo blown up, and Lou's taking Z was the start of that.

Not to change the topic...but the flags are not correct on the sidebar...the Cubs are not in third place.

Teebob2000 said:

Woo-hoo!!! Y'mean we're in second place???

Oh, I get it. Never mind.

cadarnell said:

nice ... thx.

ChiTownHustler said:

This psych eval is a transparent gimmick. It's only an excuse to get Z away from the team for a few weeks. This has the same stupid p.r. smell to it as the Tiger Woods' therapy.

sloan peterson said:

The one who needs a psych eval ASAP is Lou! He appears to have all the symptoms of clinical depression.He looks tired all the time,does not appear to even know how to motivate/evaluate his players, and has more or less said,"Look- we're not going to win",every time he is asked how he going to turn things around. Lou is almost like the before picture in those print ads for testosterome replacement therapy I'm stuck looking at in the diabetic specialists office. Maybe if someone sneaks into the locker room .....

PsyMar1 said:

Anyone who actually roots for the cubs has clinical depression by now. Especially if they recently got (this past offseason) a Cubs #38 Zambrano jersey. And especially if they had 4-5 mental disorders going into all of this. All of which applies to me. Excuse me while I go root for the Twins (my "the Cubs suck/are eliminated and I need someone to root for" team of the last several years).

PsyMar1 said:

Oh, and while I'm at it, I'm changing my Twitter bio from "Cubs fan" to "Cubs ex-fan, Twins fan". I reserve the right to change it back when and if Jim Hendry is fired.

DustyBaylor said:

The Cubs have handled this situation poorly. Absolutely true. But to defend Carlos Zambrano for his bullshit, childish behavior....of which he has a history of....is just silly. The team has played poorly behind Zambrano. Ok...he has a freaking 5.66 ERA. HE's been lit up a couple times this season...and has been wildly inconsistent the last 2 season. If anyone might be upset...how about Ted Lilly? 2-6 with a 3.28 ERA? Zambrano should look in the mirror before yelling at anyone else.

Teebob2000 said:

To do it in public in front of (and, some assume, showing up and/or berating) his teammates, and not behind closed doors in a players' meeting, is inexcusable. You can understand and even forgive the blowing up, but not how he went it.

Eric From The Dugs said:

We found Carlos Zambrano!

Eric From The Dugs said:

And there's some great point in here.

Yes! What does the team psychologist do?

And we applaud Lou when he goes ballistic on the umpire, and I dare say his blowups have been bigger than Zambrano's blowup on Friday. One of the analysts favorite things to do is look at our record before and after said blowup, claiming that Lou finally lit a fire underneath everyone's asses. God forbid Zambrano try to do the same.

I think there's a lot more going on here than just what we see on the surface. Either a) there's quite a bit more craziness going on behind the scenes that we don't know about or b) as many have suggested, this is all just another level in the "get Z to waive his no trade clause" saga.

Eric From The Dugs said:

Wow... There's some fractured English in my last post... think I dragged some text around on accident...

Teebob2000 said:

Why don't you just use the handy-dandy Chicago Now post "edit" button -- oh, sorry.

Thanks to whoever pointed out cubby's post about Zambrano. This is really the point, for me.

I am not pissed at Zambrano for losing his mind, because when I watch this team, I ALSO LOSE MY FUCKING MIND!

Being a fan of this team is a curse on my existence that I cannot shake. Seeing someone recognize that the team they play on sucks so fucking bad is really a nice change, for once. It doesn't mean they win, but at least I know now that I'm not the only one seething with rage.

Cubs Psychologist said:

No problem. Cubby's post is really spot on. I'm getting tired of this mess. Let Z be Z. Give him and the rest of the staff some run support, quit making stupid ass errors,and let's see what happens. Is this not the most amount of errors made prior to ASB? This is ridiculous.

cadarnell said:

what ever the opposite of "herr derp" is, right here ..

Dmband said:

Perhaps Z shouldnt have given up that Homerun in the first inning if he wanted to fire up his team.

This brings us to my favorite comment on this issue by @illini3sc "timing is everything."

That made me laugh so hard because it's so true. Z had the right idea in getting on this team for sucking so hard, he just screwed up the execution.

Gzeeb said:

It's all speculation as to what was in Big Z's mind when he popped his cork the other day..If this was a isolated event in his tenure with the Cubs then I would agree with most of the posters...It isn't though & the problem needs to be addressed...He has already attacked a team mate, a gatorade machine & gatorade cooler....His problem has been lack of focus which seemed to manifest it's self after receiving his contract extension...The biggest problem with the Cubs this year has been in the bullpen...Take the suspension Z & work on your anger management problems before you end up hurting someone in the long run.

I don't count attacking umpires, the other team, or inanimate objects. Hell, even Andre Dawson and Ryne Sandberg lost it on occasion and trashed the dugout.

Ted Lilly punched his manager.
Derrek Lee punched Chris Young.
Lou has assaulted countless umpires and been ejected.

Seriously--yelling in the dugout?

Sandberg continues to lose his mind on a regular basis in front of impressionable minor leaguers. Therefore, he needs a psych evaluation.

mnorr7 said:

No way it's been the hitting. You can't put up 2 runs a game and rely on the bullpen for 3 innings a night and not expect a run or two. The pitching has to be flawless to get a win because its impossible to string hits together for the lineup.

Dmband said:

Cj-

yeah, no doubt.

I know you've pointed this out, but is Jim Hendry's job specifically to destroy any leverage whatsoever regarding trades?

I want Jim to explain how this move helps:

A) The Cubs be more competitive this year
B) the marketability of Zambrano

I mean, what exactly are they trying to accomplish? If moving him is the wish, how the hell are you going to trade someone that isnt even active.

They made the same stupid move with Bradley last year, then were all perplexed when no one wanted to make a deal worth anything.

Gzeeb said:

Believe me there are teams that would love to have Big Z...The problem is what are you going to get in return for him? How much if any of his contract are you going to have to eat to make it happen? For all we know there might already be talks to ship him out of town in the near future..Who knows? Maybe a change of venue would do Z a world of good in the long run cause he's killing us on the mound...

Gzeeb said:

Right now I'd say the Bradley for Siva trade has worked out pretty damn good...How Hendry got Seattle to to take Bradley & pay the difference on Silva blew me away...But in the long run it would help the Cubs to fire Hendry after the season, as most of his trades & free agent signings have not worked out to our advantage...When you look at the roster from top to bottom, the Cubs are an aging team stuck with over paid veterans & no trade clauses..Not exactly the way to run a major league team in my opinion...

Dmband said:

Gzeeb-

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying he's not desireable, Im saying that other teams are going to bend the cubs over knowing that they want so desperatley to ship him out of town

Dmband said:

I wish Big Z would hold a press conference and say:

"Clearly, its not my fault that we cant beat the Pirates".

Then simply thank the media for attending the event and exit, stage left.

plamorte said:

posted this on twitter, forgot to share on here:

Was Z trying to fire up the team? #Cubs think he is: http://twitpic.com/20zgkk & that makes him: http://twitpic.com/20zgnb

plamorte said:

Mets signed Michael Barrett.

That is all.

hehe

sloan peterson said:

Cubs /Mets trade? Reunite Z and Barrett? Cue music for:
A"Reunited"-Peaches & Herb.
B."Courtship of Eddie's Father" Theme.
C."Odd Couple "Theme.
D."Jaws" Theme.

kiwibob said:

WTF!!!I go away to London for two weeks and decide to concentrate on the World Cup and ignore the Cubs who are only making me angry.... my decision is based on the premise that they could not get any worse than hey already are and, you never know, a miracle might happen in my absence....

I get home to find this crap?!?!?!

The Pirates game yesterday was the first I have seen since the 3-2 win against Oakland. It might have to be the last...

Here are three questions...

1. I watched the Hendry press conference on Z. If Big Z has seen it I can't imagine why he would want to play for that man again. "Address some of his deficiencies" my arse...

2. Is this the most annoying season of recent times? (Hey.. at least in 2004 they actually had a chance to get to the playoffs...)

3. When do we get to auction off our fandom? Is it too cheap of us to do it before the All Star break?

secdelahc said:

Someone might pay big money to have us jinx their rivals and keep them from the playoffs.

kiwibob said:

Exactly.
Think how much more our awesome power is worth over the course of a whole half season instead of just the first round of the playoffs...

mnorr7 said:

Most definitely it is. Watching Gorz and Lilly pour their hearts out and need to be perfect everytime around because the lineup cant hit the broad sign of a barn is the most frustrating thing to watch in the world. and dont give up hope yet theyll get it going in july...one can only hope.

MillsChC said:

Hello, McFly... the game's started..

secdelahc said:

So, how are we going to lose today?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Inside-the-park grand slam by Ronny Cedeno

Sorry guys, I got caught up with something. I'll do the game thread now.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

You were too busy hating freedom

Edelweiss said:

One thing I had a chance to notice, seeing as the Z meltdown has aired zillions of times, is that most of the players seemed almost not to notice Z as he stormed accross the dugout. He stormed in one direction, and when he found itsy bitsy Fontenot in his way, he turned around and stormed in the other direction, while Fontenot got a cup of Gatorade, and calmly watched the exchange between him and Lee. None of the players looked upset, even Lee.
Guys frequently call each other "pussies" ,when they want to put them down. Big deal! If Theriot and Baker (who wasn't in the game) took it personally, maybe they ARE pussies. Lou should have let him pitch the inning to see if he was in control. Hell, he might have struck out the side on 9 pitches. A team meeting, which included Z should have been held after the game, and everyone should have been allowed to vent. Z has a terrible temper, but that is more of a personality trait than a mental disorder, and yes, he is immature. But isn't baseball a kids game? Lou and Hendry are dealing with Z the way they are because they can't control anything else that happens on this team.