Cubs Tuesday Headlines

sadbear.jpg

It's a tough time to be a Cubs fans right now, kids.

On the other hand, I'd rather watch the Cubs lose to the Pirates every day of the week than watch Jason Alexander dance around in his underwear in his Jenny Craig commercial; so there's that.

Those of you who live in areas that enjoyed sunshine yesterday, count yourselves as lucky. Those of us in thunderstormy Chicago were stuck inside watching the Cubs' poor effort until the Hakws game kicked off at 7:00 pm CT.

After a 2-1 loss to Pittsburgh left them with a 13-15 record in May, Piniella was officially out of answers.

He benched Ryan Theriot on Monday and said he'd give Derrek Lee a day off Tuesday in favor of Xavier Nady.

But other than that?

"I don't know," he said. "I don't know. I don't know. I really don't know. I'm going to be honest with you. I wish I had some answers. But I just ...

"You would think sooner or later that this offense would wake up and start scoring a sufficient number of runs just to win baseball games. I mean, the last three games we've won, we've shut out the opposition

Lou, on the one hand, I really feel your pain. On the other hand, I'm not the one who put ARamis and his .164 average in the 4-hole.

Also, I respect you for risking the wrath of short white men and teenage girls everywhere by benching Ryan Theriot for walking ONE TIME IN A MONTH.  I understand that teenage girls are ruled by their hormones and can't really help obsessing over mediocre players they find attractive. However, I'd just like to point out that many of us were able to direct our hormones to much better, hotter players way back when. Just sayin'.

For the last few years, we've been bemoaning the fact that Wrigley Field sells out game-in/game-out, no matter how poorly the team is playing. Turns out, that's not necessarily so:

On both sides of Madison Street, attendance is down, pushing Chicago's teams as far behind in income as they are in the standings. That increases the likelihood they will be shedding bucks from the payroll, not adding them.

The Cubs are averaging 1,233 fans fewer per game than at the same time last season.

The White Sox are down even more dramatically -- more than 3,000 per game, according to major league statistics.

Big deal?

You bet it is.

If, on average, a fan spends about $100 for a ticket and game concessions (it's a wide range, of course, depending on the seat, the ticket package and other factors), the Cubs would be down $1.2 million, the Sox down $3 million in revenue from last season -- and the home portion of schedule isn't even half over.

Again, the true losses could be much greater, depending on which tickets are going unused.

If that trend continues, ledgers will take a licking.

It would be hard for owners Tom Ricketts and Jerry Reinsdorf to approve another $5 million or more of payroll.

There's really not much more to report this morning. If you missed it over the weekend, Grabow is "injured" and went to the DL, Theriot was benched, Cashner came up--threw one pitch---sat down. Cubs still can't beat the Pirates. It rained on Memorial Day in Chicago (again).

YAWN.

The Cubs are scheduled to start losing to the Pirates tonight at 6:05 pm CT at PNC. See you then.

I don't want to rub it in, but I spent yesterday poolside where it was 90' and not a cloud in the sky.

The Cubs are averaging fewer fans because they suck. Also, is that transcript for real, or paraphrased, or fiction?

I cut and pasted. It's word for word.

Lately I've been becoming a fan of the concept of involuntary sterilization.

plamorte said:

what's the twitter handle for the teen hormones? I want to unfollow too...

Ha! I'll DM you.

plamorte said:

happy birthday to @jmkobus!

Happy Birthday, Guy Who Won't Drive to Chicago To See The A-Team With Me!

jmkobus said:

Haha, there is a chance Ill be in St. Charles this weekend... Im still open to the A-team!

jmkobus said:

Cubs better bring me a win today!! They cant lose to the pirates on my birthday

Yeah, I wouldn't set your hopes so high.

jmkobus said:

Yeah, I plan to be at a bar so I can go about forgetting the loss.

AndCounting said:

Ugh! That attendance section is the worst study in economics I've ever seen, and I know next to nothing about economics. But they factored only the drop in tickets sold and completely ignored the ginormous increase in ticket prices. The 1,233 fans per game drop in attendance is roughly a 3% slide. Then they averaged the cost of going to a game at $100 per person, which is steadfastly stupid. I've never gone to a game with three people and spent $400 total. Maybe some people do, but there is absolutely no way that represents the average. Regardless of those estimations, season ticket prices went up almost 20% in some cases. I don't think it takes a real statistics whiz to figure out that if you sell 3% fewer tickets but raise prices anywhere from 10 to 20%, your revenue will not be plummeting. It will actually be a net increase in ticket revenue in the neighborhood of 16%.

Feel free to correct the math, but that's an egregious fail by Dave van Dyck.

increase in ticket price + decrease in the on field product = lower attendance

personally I think the increase in ticket price is as big a reason for the drop in attendance as the Cubs playing, bu they are still going to get their money

AndCounting said:

It goes to show that little surcharged pre-sale was a con, and a genius one at that. They created the illusion of increased demand, even at an already escalated price.

one that i fell for.

well, i didn't really fall for it in the sense that I KNEW i was getting scammed, but the tickets were for Colin's bday and I was afraid to chance it.

never again. screw Colin.

Mother of the Year

canopygrl said:

Hell Yeah!!

AndCounting said:

I think that's a bit different, though. I mean, the extra percentage you paid was for the security of knowing you could get tickets you wanted for a specific date. That's different than just the general panic of, "If I don't buy a ticket today, I probably won't be able to get one when they go on sale to the general public." (translation: what I did)

Eric From The Dugs said:

My hovering blame finger is slowly moving towards Lou.

I'll say this. Under his leadership the number of in-game moves that have made me scratch my head has significantly decreased since the Dusty days. I view this as a plus, although you have to take my baseball gut instinct with a grain of salt.

But, lately, I'm left with a few questions. It feels like most of the team is doing about what they're supposed to offensively or overperforming with the exception of Lee and Ramirez. You can't have those guys hitting 3,4. By design that's where your production is supposed to occur. They left 10 guys on base between the 2 of them yesterday. They need to be bumped down until they figure it out offensively.

I'm also at a loss at who to point the figure at for our propensity to shrivel up in big spots- particularly hitting with a man on third with under 2 outs. We seem to panic in that situation, when it should be the pitcher panicking. I'm looking to the coach for getting the team in the right mindset. Maybe, that's an unreasonable expectation.

Umbra said:

The Cubs haven't leveraged the hits they've had into runs- they're maybe 12 runs below what an average team would score with the same number of singles, doubles, etc. You can chalk that up to lineup construction, choking in the clutch, or sheer dumb luck- your choice.

But Aramis Ramirez currently has a wOBA of .223. He was commonly projected to be somewhere around .350. For 185 PA, that's a difference of 20 runs. It may be Lou's fault for running him out there every day, but in the end, Aramis needs to not royally suck at baseball.

I point plenty of fingers at Lou (read: Z to the pen), but the players play the game. If they don't come through in the clutch, it isn't Lou Piniella's fault for not inspiring them enough.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Been gone for the past week. Recovering from surgery. See we still suck. This is killing me with inklings of hope, with frequent episodes of patheticness.

Get well soon. We missed you.

its nice to know that nothing changed though right? you can count on the Cubs!

get better soon

at first, this baby State's Attorney's incompetence was amusing, but now it's getting on my nerves.

i'm two seconds from getting angry. She won't like me when i'm angry.

I just had something pressure-loaded fly up and hit me in the eye. For a second, I seriously thought I was blind. Now I can kinda see.

I had a bug sting my eyelid yesterday. I started to think at one point that just gouging the thing out would feel better than the stinging.

this is like the WORST POKE IN THE EYE EVER. with paint. UGH. I need an eye patch now.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Then everyone might worry about you changing allegiances to the Pirates.

buuuuut, it would give me an excuse to talk like a pirate every day!

MN Pat said:

You never need an excuse to talk like a pirate.

Edelweiss said:

Yarrrrrrrrr!

I know a few optometrists, I'm sure they could hook you up with one

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

You can buy eye patches at CVS

Eric From The Dugs said:

Time between reading this and running to the elevator: 5 seconds.

I SAW A GUY WITH AN EYE PATCH TODAY!

sloan peterson said:

Are you sure that wasn't from Teenage Hormones?

plamorte said:

Why has no one made a comment/joke about something pressure-loaded hitting Julie in the eye? I'm looking at you gravedigger...

jarowcliffe said:

thought about it but I let it go cause Im still kinda new here...

I thought about it and let it go because I'm already on thin ice with Julie.