Chicago Cubs Wednesday Headlines: Cubs New Anthem "Yakety Sax"

Imagine I'm much more proficient at video manipulation and could put some of last night's game to music. Instead of a man, it would be the Cubs, instead of a dog it would be the ball, and instead of cows it would be the A's.

The pitching wasn't horrible and the offense scored five runs, but the defense was lousy. Derrek Lee wants you to know it was his fault.

"Tonight is not a big-league game; we played like a Single-A team," said Lee, owning up. "I set the tone. If I make the plays, we get out of the inning, and it's a whole different ballgame. Tonight's on me. It's unacceptable."
I have a feeling some of the Cubs' Single-A players might be offended by that statement. You might be wondering why Koyie Hill started in Soto's place again. Lou has an explanation.

"We're going to face two left-handers tomorrow and the next day, so Soto will be there," Piniella said. "We're going to face a couple left-handers over the weekend against the Angels. We're just trying to win baseball games right now."

Fukudome has been struggling and is now sitting in favor of Tylermania! But he's not taking it sitting down. He's brought in his hitting coach from Japan once again.

Hitting only .222 since May 16, Fukudome now has his Japanese hitting coach, Kyosuke Sasaki, here to help him work on his problems.

The left-handed-hitting Colvin was in the lineup a second straight day as the Cubs opened a three-game interleague series against Oakland.

''We're giving [Fukudome] a little time off,'' Piniella said. ''He's been struggling. With his coach here, it gives him some time to work with him. We'll give Colvin a chance to play a little.''

Colvin, hitting .313 (25-for-80) in his last 37 games with seven doubles, a triple, five homers and 14 RBI, batted fifth while rookie shortstop Starlin Castro moved into the second spot.

The Cubs reluctantly welcomed back John Grabow last night.

Grabow said his knee feels good, which should help him return to form.

He was fine Tuesday night in pitching a scoreless eighth inning against the A's.

"Every since I got the cortisone shot, it has kept on getting better and better," he said. "It hasn't been an issue. Now it's just a matter of breaking some habits and getting back on track."

Mitch Atkins was sent down to Triple-A Iowa to make room for Grabow.

"Oakland has got a lot of left-handed hitting, so he's back at the right time," manager Lou Piniella said.

Left-handed hitters were batting .310 against Grabow.

A few things: a) I have so much respect for Lee for taking repsonsiblity for the errors and not doing the Ryan Theriot "you just got go back out there and keep plugging away . . blah blah blah" thing.

b) exactly what FORM is it that Grabow is seeking to return to?

c) don't forget to get your bleacher ticket for the LOHO Meetup on Saturday! We'll meet at Rockit Wrigley early, then head on over to the bleachers in plenty of time to get seats.

When I last checked, there were tons of seats available on Stubhub and the prices were dropping. Currently down to $54!

Yes, totally agree on Lee not grammatical blaming us for his errors. THANK YOU.

Look at what you just wrote.

for Grabow...returning to form is walking only 1 hitter an inning instead of the 2 per inning he was doing earlier in the year.

Edelweiss said:

Oh well, at least Baker's burns are healed so he can play against all those left-handers.

I gotta say, these are things that I don't really want to know

Me either.

sloan peterson said:

1. If Pinella is already worrying about the Angels, as he has to do is have everyone slide into the players, and put more of them on the DL.
2. At least Fukodome is bringing in a hitting coach. Is the guy any good?

3. Did Grabow ever have a form to return to?

IIRC, this is the hitting coach Kosuke brings in EVERY season at around this time.

God these last couple of days have been crazy. Are the Cubs at least 14 games under by now?

cadarnell said:

I wish we'd either lose the next ten straight or win them ... either way I'd be able to watch them after that a lot more comfortably ... this hanging on the edge of being in contention in a bad division really is wearing on me.

I think the former is more likely than the latter.

at least then maybe there will be some ability to trade high to teams that need someone at the deadline

Cubs Psychologist said:

Nope, but it sure in the hell feels like it. They are slowly killing me. If they are going to make a run, they better get their damn running shoes on now and get it started.

AndCounting said:

I don't feel like looking it up, but I can't imagine that Koyie Hill as a lefty vs. RHP > Geo Soto as a righty vs. RHP.

Teebob2000 said:

This is for this season only...

Hill vs LHP: .273/.273/.364
Hill vs RHP: .230/.266/.279
Soto vs LHP: .346..443/.558
Soto vs RHP: .218/.387/.391

Hahaha Adam! You imagined wrong.

AndCounting said:

Did I? The batting average is lower, but the OBP and SLG are over 100 points higher each for Soto. Maybe Lou is only privy to the first column.

AndCounting said:

I don't think Lou should be fired, but this is the kind of play that will get your manager axed pretty quickly. It's one of those things where no one can name a better available manager than Lou Piniella (you really can't), but a team's front office feels the need to send the team a message (that message being, "you guys suck, but you shouldn't"). It's like the entire team deserves to be fired, but the manager has to be crucified on their behalf.

In 2007, Michael Barrett was that sacrificial lamb, but I don't think there's a player on this roster who could fill that role. Since Lou's contract is up anyway, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Trammel takes the interim role within the next 30 days.

Again, I don't think it should happen, but I feel pretty strongly that it will.

sloan peterson said:

Should we start a sacraficial lamb list?

Cubs Psychologist said:

I volunteer Theriot!! He is lamb-sized.

AndCounting said:

That's a good suggestion, but I don't know if he's big enough. It's also gotta be someone who seems like they're being dismissed for more than just baseball reasons. Too many people like him right now, though that's dwindling. Maybe if he gets in a fight with Castro that could work.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Fight with Castro...Can we say ass whoopin? The biggest lamb would be Kosuke. But, who wants to take on his contract? And, are we willing to eat another one again?

Teebob2000 said:

Everybody knows New Zealand is for lamb, Japan is for Kobe beef. Or sushi. So he'd be the sacrificial tenderloin. Or seaweed roll.

Edelweiss said:

It will probably be Fontenot, since he is in Lou's doghouse for no discernable reason. Lou has already announced that he has been shut down for the season, except for an occasional ppinch hit. Cub fans are crazy about him, but he would be better off escaping from this sinking ship.

Teebob2000 said:

>>"Now it's just a matter of breaking some habits"

Like allowing 3 runs per appearance maybe?

This is what Bruce Miles had to say about Hill/Soto:

"Yes, Koyie Hill is catching again. That’s been the subject of a lot of discussion on our blog, on the Boers and Bernstein show today and at other sites. I asked Lou about it in the pregame.

“We’re going to face two left-handers tomorrow and the next day, so Soto will be there,” Lou said. “We’re going to face a couple left-handers over the weekend against the Angels. We’re just trying to win baseball games right now. Hill’s been swinging the bat OK. He does a nice job behind (the plate). Actually, both catchers have done a nice job behind the plate. But I don’t know. We can go either way with that. Tonight, Hill’s catching because we won the other night. This is basically the same lineup that played the other night. We played a good ballgame. So we’re sticking with that, not changing it.”

That’s not really an illuminating answer. For the year, here are the hitting lines:

Soto: 266/.407/.453 with 7 homers and 33 walks
Hill: .232/.264/.290 with no homers and 3 walks

The lines for June
Soto: .313/.389/.750 for an OPS of 1.139
Hill: .261/.292/.348 for an OPS of .640"

jtbwriter said:

Good morning from coolish So Cal....
Maybe Lou needs to be a dragon? It sounds like he's tiptoing around the clubhouse-a good old-fashioned woodshed session could be the answer-or at least weed out the 'don't cares". Or at least give Alan Trammell a few ideas on what it takes to be a manager!

secdelahc said:

I think it's beyond time that Lou threw some bases or kicked dirt on some umpires or something. It's like what happened right before the Zambrano/Barrett thing...

So @CubsInsider flagged me down today to let me know that the Cubs are, in fact, on Twitter.

If someone like me, who is on Twitter practically 24/7 talking about the Cubs doesn't know they're there, they're doing it wrong.

Cubs Psychologist said:

What did you expect? It the Cubs!!

AndCounting said:

Yes. "I noticed your post." Not, "Hey, nice post, please allow me to comment on it." Or "We're hearing that a lot, who would you recommend we follow?" Just . . . "We're here!"

Then they go about following just the official accounts of every team and a few Chicago media members. Way to plug into social media there, Cubbies!

don't they college interns or something? some 19 year old who knows every bit of jargon about twitter that gets paid in hot dogs and diet pepsi to work in the office?

just give that person a blackberry say "have at it"

sloan peterson said:

Now if Jitterbug had a Twitter app.....

summerguy said:

Hey Lou, worrying about an upcoming series before finishing the series you are currently in... pretty much how we lost in the playoffs in '07 and '08

Max Power said:

I would like to protest the use of Yakety Sax if it involves no Benny Hill. Where's the bobby? Where's the bikini girl?

I just saw that Cincinnati is tied for first place and got really depressed.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Try living in KY and being surrounded by all the Reds fans. It's horrible. You would think the Nasty Boys were back. BTW, I do miss Chris Sabo's rec specs!!

Mentioning Chris Sabo in a positive light is grounds for immediate banning.

Don't worry, Dusty will screw it up sooner or later.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Yes, Dusty will be Dusty and ruin Chapman's arm whenever he arrives. You have to admit, those rec-specs were sweet!