Chicago Cubs Monday Headlines: Great Cubs Victory or Greatest Cubs Victory?

Chicago Tribune photo by Scott Strazzante

Awkward outfield hugs for all! One day after making me feel like this team might not win again this year, the Cubs went out and hammered the Angels. They also reawakened that irrational part of my brain that makes me think they'll win 12 in a row and take their rightful place as kings of the NL Central.

"The key was scoring runs and taking leads in the game and then adding on to it," said Piniella, whose team improved to 31-38 after a disappointing 4-5 homestand. "But I saw a lot of good things out there today. First of all, Carlos. This was his best game since we put him back in the rotation.

"And (Ryan) Theriot, this is what we've been waiting to see for a while. He drove the ball hard to left field. He had good, solid bats. Derrek Lee had a real good game offensively."

Despite having 40 errors in the last 7 games, the Cubs haven't given up yet this year.

"We're very optimistic," Byrd said. "There's no give-up on this team. We've shown that. We could have rolled over today and come out (and gone through) the motions. We came out and played baseball the way it's supposed to be played."

Speaking of the defense, Lou thinks it's a holdover from poor offensive performance:

The rash of errors plaguing the team continued Sunday, though this time third baseman Jeff Baker's second-inning error caused no harm after a double play. It was the team's 12th fielding miscue in the last six games.

''I've talked to our coaches about it at length,'' Piniella said. ''The only explanation we can come up with is when you're not hitting, it takes away from your focus. It shouldn't, but that's just a supposition. We're trying to come up with some explanation.''

The Cubs played seven of eight errorless games just before the current stretch of fumbles, which began with a four-error game Tuesday against the Oakland Athletics, a season-worst.

And it looks like Aramis Ramirez will be back on Wednesday.

Aramis Ramirez was the DH on Sunday at Class A Peoria in his second rehab game, going 1-for-3 with a walk, an RBI, a strikeout and a run. He went hitless Saturday to finish 1-for-6 for the weekend.

Ramirez will accompany the team to Seattle for this week's three-game series.

''He'll let us know how he feels,'' Piniella said. ''I would think he'd be activated when his [disabled-list] time is up [Wednesday]. We'll see.''

The trip to Seattle would be a nice trip for Ron Santo, returning to his hometown. But because of his health, he's going to cut down on his travel and won't be going.

"I have to start thinking about the travel," admitted Santo, 70, Sunday.

"(Health) is the main thing. And I want to be around. I'm not complaining. I'm very fortunate to be here, the way I look at it. I have my moments with diabetes. Otherwise, I'm feeling fine."

(snip)

"I was going to Seattle for sure, but both (WGN) radio and the Cubs want me around," Santo said. "And I want to be around. It's therapy (to be at games), believe me, except moaning and groaning."

And finally, we'll catch up with a couple of our favorite minor leaguers.

At Triple-A Iowa, Jeff Samardzija pitched four scoreless inning of relief Saturday, giving him no earned runs in his last three appearances covering 13 innings. He is 2-0 with a 0.78 ERA for the season. ... Former No. 1 pick Brett Jackson has 25 multihit games at Class A Daytona, including a streak of 10 in 13 games. He may not be far away from promotion to Double-A Tennessee.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Carl, I feel you. Every game like this activates the illogical part of brain and begin to have delusions of grandeur. Speaking of delusions, are we ready to visit Ol Milty?

plamorte said:

Anyone else have to look twice when Torii Hunter was batting? He looks like Milton at first glance

PsyMar1 said:

I still have a hard time remembering that Torii Hunter is no longer with the Twins.

summerguy said:

@plamorte ... must be why he didn't want to come to Chicago, what wit us bein all dang racist and whatnot

Cubs Psychologist said:

Where can I find the Peter Griffin Byrd Byrd Byrd shirt? I need that shirt!! Any suggestions?

AndCounting said:

1 game down, 11 more to go. The streak of dozen is upon us.

Also, I know it's been a couple days and that I missed the first half of the awesomeness, but I had a great time at the LOHO event/slaughter-rule Cubs game on Saturday. My faith in humanity-----> restored.

thats a different awkward hug from the one last week? how much different this season is from the victory leap years, sigh.

actually, thats when I'll become optimistic, if the outfielders reinstate the leap I'll rethink my baseball related pessimism

sloan peterson said:

I'm really sorry that Coach has to cut back his schedule, but it's been so miserably hot on the West Coast, and as someone also with diabetes it's so hard to get around. I want Coach around alot longer that's for sure......

off days are boring

does the Rally Noodle work if the Cubs are in a different time zone?

It's not an off-day, is it? We play in Seattle tonight, right?

Oh, it IS an off-day.

Well . . . jeez.

plamorte said:

last one until the ASB

The Dugs said:

I think we're about to witness the baseball hangover.

This happens around baseball, but it happens on an extremely consistent basis to the Cubs. The day or next game (for pitchers) after an excellent pitching performance or offensive explosion is usually a poor pitching performance or offensive meltdown. Mix in the fact that we are a) extremely inconsistent on offense, b) going to Seattle, where the dimensions are something like 456, 682, 442, and c) facing Felix Hernandez and Cliff Lee- I'm thinking the Cubs put up no more than 4 runs all series long.

I hope I'm wrong.

PS- I'm posting this because whenever I post a prediction it goes horribly wrong. All this circular logic has made a venn diagram.

This time you won't be wrong.

This team has WAY too many off-days. They don't work hard enoug for this many off-days.

cadarnell said:

this team does just enough to keep some hope alive ... it also helps that the cards and reds are chumps this season ... well every season for that matter. The pirates on the other hand are the real deal I think ....ugggggg ......GO CUBS!!!

So this months photo for the Cubs Calendar on my desk is Fukudome batting, don't you think the Cubs should have thought about his June slump before going to print?

So very tired today. . . rainy weather makes me want to zzzzzzzzzzz.

Okay so, highlights of the meetup:

It was hotter than the sun in the bleachers, so everyone got to see me all sweaty and disgusting-looking, so that was fun. We started out at Rockit Wrigley, then headed over the game.

Summerguy and I spent a good portion of the game debating weather this guy near us had 4 nipples or 3 nipple + a mole, I got to sit next to AndCounting for the whole game, which was fun. Baturkey, at one point, tried to sit down and did a header into the head of the guy in front of him, who was not pleased. Berelius and Max might be engaged at this point, I'm not sure. Adam pointed out, rightly so, that the helmet full of nachos looks like a carcass once you get past the first layer, and the Cubs lost 12-0. Oh, and I got mad when people booed Marlon Byrd. Tim left in the 4th inning

The end.

nachos sounds so ridiculously good right now, thanks for giving me that craving thats gonna stay with me the rest of the day

cadarnell said:

why did people boo byrd?? ... that's funny ..."boo byrd" ..ha ha

baturkey said:

I was kind of drunk.

berselius said:

You forgot to mention getting cheez all over your shoes

we went to goose island after the game and I got the tastiest burger ever, though some of that memory could be affected by the fact that all I had eaten all day was a polish sausage at the game

ah yes. . . nothing like nacho cheese all over nice pair of wedges and a new pedicure. :(

that was gross.

Also, if the guy with 4 (3?) nipples is reading this, please contact me immediately. I have some questions for you.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Quick question, did anyone feel like D-Lee was auditioning for the Angels this weekend? Just a thought.

sloan peterson said:

The Angels might bite- they were reduced this weekend to using catcher Napoli at first base. Maybe we could trick them into taking Theriot, by claiming he is a utility fielder?

Non-cubs highlight : last night listening to Curt Schilling and Oreh Hershier(?) rip apart Manny as a player and teammate.

PsyMar1 said:

Orel Hershiser. Holds the MLB record for consecutive scoreless innings pitched.

That said, I didn't hear them, and I'm glad, because I still like Manny, no matter how much he messes up. Sort of like he's in little league and I'm his parent, only he's older than I am, so that analogy fails.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Adding Theriot would be nice. With Manny, he is just entertainment...on all aspects. You could still be his parent. You would have to be a step-parent. So, the analogy did not fail.

I seriously do not miss the annual Manny complaining, team gets annoyed, trade speculation, Manny "hurts his hamstring", more trade talk, Francona works his Jedi mind trick, Manny plays again, everyone loves everyone mid season cycle

Cubs Psychologist said:

True, his antics are quite interesting and the media loves to blow them out of proportion. However, I did enjoy him coming out of the monster. Pretty cool.

sloan peterson said:

I forgot Orel played for Cleveland, and he talked about how Manny would lose defensive constantly,but would spend hours and hours examining game film for his batting. Schilling said the same thing-hours on hitting, nothing on defense. Schillings best comment,"The fans see how Manny plays, the team sees Manny all the time."

sloan peterson said:

C'mon CN you left out focus after "defensive"

Edelweiss said:

The Angels were inquiring about Fontenot, as they need a shortstop. I thimk Theriot was auditioning, though, as he has asked to be traded.

(drums fingers on desk, looks around, waits for baseball to start again)

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I'm envisioning this scenario as a Ziggy cartoon.

so you're calling me short, fat and bald, is that it?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Just short and bald. I realized after I posted how insulting that sounds. But I imagined YOU in a Ziggy cartoon.

this isn't getting any better . . .

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Like, full color Julie, sitting in a black and white cartoon, with Ziggy's dog next to you.

sloan peterson said:

By the way, on Ebay, there are 42 results for theriot's bobblehead, with bids and prices ranging from $.99 to $40.00....

it's nice to know that at least one person is concerned with my desires.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I've been busily trying to make one with play doh. It was supposed to be a surprise!

Edelweiss said:

By the way, do most of the bobbleheads you see have the Cubs logo on the hat? The one I got doesn't, and neither did any of the ones I saw in the third base box seat section.

Maim said:

My awesome coworker who is the only other Cubs fan here (except for Too-Tan Joe who really thinks every year is "the year") says he'll only start watching if they win 10 in a row.

I'm pretty sure that was one of ten. Oh yeah.

Maim said:

Do you guys think trying to get Kris Versteeg and Andrew Ladd to come to my work after they're done at their $150 a head autograph session down the street via Facebook is worth my while? Steeger didn't "answer" my message about coming to the brewery, but he did accept my friend request.

I'm holding my breath!

i'm pretty sure the hawks will show up anyplace.

Maim said:

Especially since I told 'em we'd throw a few free cases their way, right?

you're real issue is going to be getting them to leave.

"your"

The Reds are about to sign Gary Matthews Jr.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

secdelahc said:

Dang! and here I thought I was going to get an actual night game. Stupid off days.

i know.

me = bored

oh sure, there's a lot of things I COULD/SHOULD be doing, but I really want to be watching baseball.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

With a gameday audio subscription, you can watch any past game!

i don't want to watch PAST games. . . what channel is everyone watch the Yankees/Dbacks on?

secdelahc said:

I'm getting it on the FSNAZ. I'm currently listening to the dulcet tones of one Mark Grace.

Know that Looney Tunes where Sylvaster and Porky stay in a haunted house and every time Sylvester sees something scary he dives under the covers/into Porky's pajamas/etc?

That is my dogs right now during this thunderstorm. They are taking up the entire bed.

Chad Gaudin is in!

AndCounting said:

Did you find it on ESPN?

ESPN you say? Funny, no one mentioned that before . .

sloan peterson said:

ESPN is going on how the Diamondbacks have the worst bullpen in the league. Good to know the Cubs aren't #1....

AndCounting said:

It hasn't been nearly as bad as it was earlier in the year, but then again, the opportunity to blow a late lead has been increasingly rare.

sloan peterson said:

Edelweiss said:

How does Gravedigger stay awake for games on the west coast?