Chicago Cubs Monday Headlines: Will They Ever Win Another Series?

UNITED STATES - CIRCA 1950s:  Portrait of young girl crying.  (Photo by George Marks/Retrofile/Getty Images)
Me while thinking of the Cubs

At least the Blackhawks won, right? The Cubs lost another series to another craptacular team over the weekend. Randy Wells allowed the Astros to hit around three times in the first before recording an out. Is anything going right?

The bright spot for the Cubs was rookie reliever Andrew Cashner, who relieved Wells and worked 12/3 perfect innings, reaching 98 mph on the radar gun. He soon could see eighth-inning duty.

"Yeah, we're going to put him in that role in the back end," Piniella said. "It looks like he's comfortable out there. He's throwing the ball good. We haven't had too much of that (high velocity). It's nice to get a good young arm. He's gotten some experience. Next time out, we'll put him back toward the end of the ballgame."

Not only did Andrew Cashner pitch well, Lou said a dirty baseball phrase: "... that role in the back end." Tee hee.

Hey people, if you're worried about Aramis Ramirez, he says don't. He'll be just fine.

''No, I know what I'm capable of doing,'' said the longtime cleanup hitter, whose .169 start has symbolized and been the primary contributor to the Cubs' offensive woes. ''I just haven't put it together. It's not like I forgot how to hit from one year to the other.''

(snip)

''Oh, I know what I'm doing -- I just haven't been getting any results,'' said Ramirez, who deemed his mechanics to be fine. ''I was just missing too many pitches. I've just got to put it in play.''

You've probably wondered about Carlos Silva and Ted Lilly's travel schedules. Maybe you've been dying to see John Grabow back in the pen. Luckily, we have updates on all three!

Carlos Silva flew ahead of the team to Pittsburgh, where he'll start on Monday, while Ted Lilly flew to Chicago and will start on Tuesday in Milwaukee. ... John Grabow (knee), who's on the 15-day disabled list, left to join Triple-A Iowa, where he'll have four or five rehab outings before coming back to the Cubs.
I wish that said forty five instead of four or five. Have you been waiting for Ryan Theriot to say something stupid to the media? You're in luck!

Theriot seemed relieved after getting the walk. He did not start Sunday, and his OBP is a low .311 after he singled twice after coming into Sunday's game late. He has 8 walks for this season and reiterated that he does not want to go to the plate looking for a walk.

"That's just a defensive state," he said. "One thing I was always good at before was being able to hit with two strikes. Get back to that. Put some pressure on the pitcher."

Lou likewise shared his thoughts on walks with the media. They're not the same as Theriot's.

"It's a defensive if you hit a lot of doubles and you drive in a lot of runs," the manager said. "But if not, his job is to table-set. He's not hitting 3-4-5 in the lineup. So basically, his job is more of a table-setting than a table-cleaning.

"I don't look at it in a defensive way. A walk is an offensive thing, not a defensive thing. It's putting a baserunner on base. It's making a pitcher throw more pitches. It's giving your team on the bench an insight into the pitcher. What is he getting over? What is he not getting over? I think the walk for a 1-2 hitter, 7-8 hitter, it turns the lineup over. It gets people on base. If that's the way he's looking at it, he's looking at it the wrong way."

I don't understand Theriot's quote.

"Ger back to that. Put some pressure on the pitcher."

Uh, is he telling me to do that? Shouldn't he be the one giving that a shot?

Umbra said:

I think he means that he wants to get back in the habit of hitting with two strikes. But it's still a really stupid quote. Nobody goes up to bat 'looking for a walk' as if they would rather have a walk than a home run. But everybody should rather have a walk than an out.

This applies especially to Theriot, who bats leadoff and has an isolated power average of .028 (!!!). If there's no one on base for you to advance, and you have 5 extra-base hits in 230 plate appearances, a walk is functionally identical to a single.

It's not as if this strategy is paying dividends. It's not like he's intentionally lowered his OBP but raised his SLG in the process. He just swings at more bad pitches and now never walks and never gets an XBH.

For a guy who has tremendous talent at getting a bat on any ball thrown within 5 feet of the strike zone, you'd think he'd be better at fouling off pitches, working counts, or drawing walks.

Yeah, I know - it is just one of my pet peeves, and baseball players are the worst at it. It is an extension of the "you" thing.

"You go up there looking for..." and "You really just have to keep trying," etc. No, I don't have to - YOU do. Try again, "I need to pull my head out of my ass and start taking walks." Don't fucking shift the blame on me grammatically.

plamorte said:

Yea Riot, it's hard to be good at hitting with 2 strikes when you don't let the pitcher throw 2 pitches.

Exactamente.

I really want Hendry to trade Theriot. I really just can't stand that little fucker.

Either everyone's hatred of him on this site has started to rub off on me, or his stupidity has finally changed my mind...but I want him gone too.

Edelweiss said:

Up until this year, I was a Theriot fan, but his attitude this year has been a turn-off. Last year someone did a spoof video about his being a diva. Apparently someone was on to something.

Edelweiss said:

Unfortunately, he is bending over for Hendry.

Umbra said:

Also, I hadn't noticed until this morning that Aramis Ramirez OPS'd .498 in April and .494 in May. So far in June (3 games)? .879!

Slump-------->Busted!

sloan peterson said:

Does Theriot actually think that pitchers care if he is at bat or not? he should take a page from the Yankees hitters. The most successful hitters are also the most patient and willing to take walks-then they can help the team win. Also whatever, happened to standing closer to the plate? he might get better pitches or might get hit, either way a win-win!!

AndCounting said:

He's swinging at more pitches outside the zone than he ever has. I don't care if he goes up there trying to hit good pitches instead of as many pitches as possible. But this year he's essentially swinging at anything close.

Umbra said:

What's strange to me is that pitchers don't seem to be aware of this: he's seeing plenty of strikes (54.4%, compared to a career average of 53.3%). If you know he's going to chase, why give him something in the zone?

Then again, consider this: pitchers this year are throwing pitches in the strike-zone 47.4% of the time- that's really low, historically speaking. Pitchers have always thrown Theriot more strikes than they do to other players, but the gap between what they throw to other batters compared to what they throw to Theriot has never been this wide before.

I guess pitchers know they can throw strikes to Theriot and get away with it.

ClydeR said:

Picture is perfect - Hey Ryan "There's no crying in baseball"!

damn video block at work. i really want to see that.

(get a kick out of seeing children cry)

Edelweiss said:

Call Theriot a weewee pants, and watch him cry.

stupid cardinal fan...geez kid, toughen up a bit. Cardinal fans are such wimps and crybabies.

Umbra said:

I'm not upset about the kid crying- kids typically do that when they get hit with hard objects and feel publicly embarrassed. Perfectly understandishable.

I blame that mean old Albert Pujols for this. And while I feel bad for the kid, I also want a bat.

Well, I never cried like that when I was a kid...

In fact, if it was a Philly fan that got hit by that ball, he wouldn't have cried...demanded a bat...and then he'd go off and beat up a fan of the visiting team with it.

And if it was a White Sox fan, he would have taken the bat home and beat his sister/wife with it.

Questions:

1) is there a game on right now?

and

2) can someone come shoot me and put me out of my misery?

Umbra said:

1. Yes, now that I just checked! Are they making up for the game that got rained out? The Cubs are up 3-0 in the bottom of the 4th inning with Carlos Silva on the mound, so it's all locked up.

2. Barack Hussein Obama has taken away my Constitutionally-guaranteed right to own an FIM-92 Stinger missile, so I can't help.

Umbra said:

LOL! I think it was Dave Kaplan in with Pat. They were talking about a guy who spent a loooong time in the minor leagues.

Dave Kaplan: "I bet he has a Waffle House Card."
Pat: "What?"
Dave: "Every minor league city has a Waffle House"
Pat: "Ohhh, the Waffle House. I guess they specialize in making pancakes?"
Dave: "Yeah!...oh, and waffles!"
Pat: "I was kidding."

heheheheheheheh

Edelweiss said:

If you love greasy, carb-laden food, that is the place to go. They are all over the south.

jtbwriter said:

Good morning from slightly cooler So Cal...

Any chance the game is on WGN? Hope, hope!

Julie, it's hopeless-the Cubs are like the Godfather-everytime you try to turn your back on them, they drag you back in! LOL!

Boo!!! Godfather III quote? Boo!

Umbra said:

Theriot took his second walk OF THE DAY!

I think we can all take credit.

And now Lou will let him play every game for the rest of the season. Boo!!!

Umbra said:

Seriously, you guys, Ryan Theriot has a double and two walks in this game. He's scored two runs because of this.

BOO!!!!

Edelweiss said:

Since you can't turn something like that on and off, it means Theriot could have done that all along, but thought it was beneath him. Had he been more selective at the plate, the Cubs might not be so deep in the hole.

plamorte said:

had a convo with @mikeproper this morning that inspired this Crappy Comic: "Baseball in Hell" http://bit.ly/bDkKrd

secdelahc said:

Silva gets another win and it's about darn time the Cubs beat the Pirates!

thisyearcub said:

New superstition trend: no game thread=win!

Silva has got to be the craziest story right now. Maybe he threatens the players.

did we win?

i've been stuck in court all freakin' day.

uuuhhhhhhh.

Stop robbing pharmacies and you wouldn't miss so many games.

(never gets old!)

Dmband said:

We did win. Silva continues his unexplainable CY young bid...

WAMRUS! CHALK IT UP!

Dmband said:

Im also counting this as a 'series' victory.

me too. it's worth at least 3 wins, in my book.

That's just enough for the Cubs to think that they should be buyers as the trade deadline approaches.

I can't believe we didn't set LOHO day for June 17 . . . look at what they're giving away! I would camp out overnight for that thing:

um...

I think it might actually be a good thing LOHO day isn't that day. There would be way too many decapitated Theriot Bobbleheads.

I HAVE to have one of those. No, two of those! No, three! Four--I need four of those!

I don't even have tickets for that game. Sorry...can't help you out.

The good thing is that there has been a trend over the last few years that second tier players who have had bobblehead days were traded shortly before the give-away...so we can all hope that maybe Theriot can be added to that group. Maybe?

sloan peterson said:

People could fling them at Theriot if he swings at bad pitches....

Karen said:

You will have to draw the chin pubes on, so it's a more accurate representation.

jtbwriter said:

Surprised you didn't say "Boo!" to Julie too! LOL!

yeah...I have just having a booish couple hours there.

I'm much better now.

i think he knows better than to do that.

Actually, no I don't...I'm kinda dumb.

With the 17th overall pick, the Cubs draft rhp Hayden Simpson. I don't think anyone else expected him to go before the 3rd-4th round. UGH.

or, as maddog put it on Twitter: "Cubs Draft 5th Rounder In 1st Round."

ha.

My thoughts exactly...but people said a lot of the same things about Tyler Colvin.

so?

I would love to give you all the scouting report on Simpson, but the Cubs pick was SO DAMN SURPRISING that mlb.com doesn't even have a scouting report on him in their draft tracker. awesome.

I'm just glad the Cubs didn't have a higher slot in the draft to waste on this guy.

meanwhile, the Cards pick up Zack Cox at 25, who would have transitioned nicely to 2B and who will now, because we didn't get him, be guaranteed to be a future hall of famer.

LostinFla said:

This pick only makes since if Jessica Simpson comes as part of a package deal.

Heck, even Homer Simpson would do...

LostinFla said:

Leave a comment...

Edelweiss said:

Good to see Gravediggers heart-throb, Baker had a good day. I guess his ass is completely healed. However, Grabow is still rehabbing. Baker's ass is stronger than Grabows hand.