Chicago Cubs Headlines: Community Project (X 2)

theriout.jpg

It can be yours for the low, low price of however much a ticket to the June 17th game costs!

Commun ity Project Number One: Operation grab as many of the Ryan Theiout bobbleheads as possible. This BEST THING GIVEN AWAY AT ANYTHING EVER will be available to those attending the June 17th Cubs game.

First, I can't believe we set LOHO day for TWO DAYS AFTER they're giving this thing away. Marketing Gods, why do you hate me? Second, if I had a ticket for this game, I would be camping out at Wrigley to get in line for that thing--something I haven't done since I got up at 3:00 am to stand in line for Bon Jovi tickets when I was 14.

I won't lie--I want one of these for myself. But then, I want many, MANY more of them so we can a) give them away and b) torture them as the situation my warrant. Get your hands on any of these for LOHO, and you'll be my new BFF.

Also, I think I coined a new nickname for The Riot last night and Twitter, and I didn't feel right not sharing with you guys. I called him Ryan "Theriout!" Funny, right?

Community Project Two: Everyone post a headline. Sorry kids, I've got a client meeting this morning, and won't be back around until closer to 11:00. But look, I'll get you started!

In last night's MLB draft, the Cubs took RHP Hayden Simpson, a player slated no higher than the 4th round by most scouts. And other teams. And people watching. And apparently, Simspson himself:

"It came as a complete shock," Simpson said on a telephone conference call. "We were hearing second to fifth round."

Simpson, who was also a high school quarterback in Magnolia, Ark., said he throws a four-seam fastball, changeup, big curveball and a slider, which he listed as his best pitch.

And unlike some other first-rounders, Simpson said, "I don't see any problem with me signing."

Ha. Much like I wouldn't see a problem with me signing, either.

Take it away, peanut gallery!

Umbra said:

Chicago Cubs beat Pittsburgh Pirates 6-1

Carlos Silva had a new and unusual approach to pitching Monday afternoon at PNC Park.

"I spent pretty much the whole game trying to throw up," he said.

Cubs fans know the feeling well.

I guess Carlos Silva was sick with the flu, and that's what propelled the Cubs to victory. Along with Ryan Theriot walking twice in the same game and getting an extra-base hit, his first since May 4. Theriot hadn't taken a single walk since May 1, and now he took one on Saturday (Cubs win 8-5) and two yesterday (Cubs win 6-1).

I hope he's learning.

And congratulations to Carlos Silva, who is pitching well enough to make the All-Star team. Quite the story.

Umbra said:

I wish ChicagoNow supported blockquotes. The first two paragraphs are not my own- they are taken from the article.

baturkey said:

Silva has been pitching well, I'm not denying that, but he's also been getting consistent run support. In his 8 wins, the Cubs have scored on average 7 runs per game. In their other games this season, they've averaged 3.8.

AndCounting said:

Yeah, I think we all counted on 7 runs being scored per game every time Carlos Silva started, we were just wrong about which team would do it.

Teebob2000 said:

... but he's still not the Cubs' best pitcher, right?

Umbra said:

Right! I'm glad we agree. ;)

I don't think there's anything contradictory in saying that he has had the most success while understanding that his true talent level is lower than the results he's gotten.

Little Bear said:

Ryan Theriot also reached base four times and scored four runs.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

The Cubs are trying a new approach with Randy Wells:

''One is having him pitch in the bullpen [warming up before the game] like he would pitch to the first two or three batters in the game, within sequence.''

If that doesn't work, Plan B might be to have Wells go straight from the pregame bullpen session to the mound to start the game instead of the usual stop in the dugout in between.

''I think we're going to try the first approach first,'' Piniella said. ''So he'll be focused on the first three or four hitters he's going to face.''

secdelahc said:

Is anyone else wondering why the bobblehead is wearing fishing gear? I dunno- I guess I figured he should probably be wearing a baseball uniform.

I agree. It would have been much better if he were in a musketeer or pirate outfit.

sloan peterson said:

Maybe they felt the fisherman outfit looked more manly...

Dmband said:

Wait is that Bobblehead for real? Is this not a well crafted photoshop?

If thats real, thats the most hilariously amazing thing I have ever seen.

Im working on a lead to see if one can be obtained.

I just offered to trade sam fuld's pants for one on twitter!

Edelweiss said:

Are they clean?

wow--quiet here today. we're on a win-streak, people!

AndCounting said:

If I'm gauging the fanbase accurately, I think the Care-o-Meter is at its lowest in 10 years right now. I think it actually pains a lot of people to be reminded of the Cubs' existence in their current state.

that's great news for me. maybe we should auction off our fandom early this year?

AndCounting said:

Funny, I thought about that just the other day. The Rays seem like a nice choice, if you're really interested.

kiwibob said:

Do it, do it!
My Care-o-Meter rusted with its needle stuck at .01 right about when the Pirates were thrashing the Cubs for the 20th time or so...

But luckily, since you all care about me so much, I know I don't have to worry about you not sticking around.

kiwibob said:

That goes without saying obviously....

secdelahc said:

Apparently, the Brewers released Jeff Suppan. That's one fewer Brewer the Cubs can beat up on.

sloan peterson said:

At least the bobblehead vaguely resembles Theriot. I wonder how the Cubs determined which Cubs to be bobbleheads? Is it batting average? HR production? Fielding? Seriously, what thought process lead the Cubs marketing department to choose Theriot? Ease is translation to plastic?

Good point. Why no James Russell bobblehead? Why no Chad Tracy bobblehead?

um...Koyie Hill? Seriously? No respect.

Koyie Hil as a carpenter!

I feel some photoshop needs coming on. . . where is @plamorte?

email me your ideas and we'll put this up later in the week!

Edelweiss said:

Does Theriot have a regular Cubs Bobblehead? If not, it is strange that he has one with no Cubs logo on it. I wonder what some of the gay men who post here think of the Juicy Fruit on the boat.

sloan peterson said:

I mean "in translation"- I'm not implying that Theriot is actually plastic...

yeah...Theriot is actually made out of birch or cedar. I can't recall which one.

Eric From The Dugs said:

All games have been cancelled so that the players may be allowed to watch the debut of STEPHEN STRASBURG (The proper spelling of his name includes all caps, right?)

You forgot to put his official title before his name...Future Ruler of the Universe, STEPHAN STRASBURG

Eric From The Dugs said:

Damnit, I knew I forgot something. Also, I forgot the exclamation point after the G.

and i can't watch it tonight because i don't get MLBN.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF ME NOT HAVING IT?!?!?!

Teebob2000 said:

3 words: Direc. Tee. Vee.

MillsChC said:

or one of the 30+ cable providers around the country that offer it.

MillsChC said:

Not sure... it's like you're one of those people who subscribe to the cable package that only has the broadcast networks and 6 different religious channels.

cubby23(eric) said:

You can watch him pitch-only on MLB.com website

sloan peterson said:

We MIGHT get the cubs game; LA Times says we get the Cubs or Seattle/Texas. Unfortunately sometimes MLB thinks west coast only wants to watch west coast. not true!!

PsyMar1 said:

Hey, why all the negativity? Sure, the team has sucked, but we're only 6.5 back. A team won the world series this past decade with only 83 regular-season wins. And decade before that, the Twins did it with 85. I'm not giving up, not yet, not when Theriot's walking and Aramis is maybe sort of starting to be hitting.

Teebob2000 said:

I just realized my buddy and I have tickets to that game next week!! Hey, CJ -- please define what exactly being your BFF entails.

Let the negotiations begin.

Teebob2000 said: