The Cubs Stink. Vote: Who Do You Blame And Why?

Thumbnail image for louyell.jpg

"It's not my fault I don't have a *%@&#$@#%@$$ bullpen, you know!"

Thumbnail image for hendry180.jpg

"So what you're telling me is that Corey Patterson is available? What about Brian Roberts? Uh-huh . . How about Vernon Wells?"

It's May 10 and half the fan base is already looking forward to Bears season.

Let's face it, things haven't exactly turned out the way Jim Hendry had planned. Our All-Star third baseman can't hit a baseball anymore. Our ace is in the bullpen. Our pigpen has lost more games than a 3-year old playing Monopoly. Things look bleak.

So LOHO wants to know, who do you blame for this debacle. . . and why?

Let it out. Let it all out.

I'm mad at the world...so I'm blaming everyone.

I'm especially blaming Maddog because he said this team would stink.

plamorte said:

Going with Hendry. Milton Bradley, Aaron Miles, John Grabow.

I just want to say, I know a few three year old kids that are pretty good at monopoly.

AndCounting said:

Gotta blame it on something . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwrL9MV6jSk

(wipes tears) Oh God, I wish I'd thought of that as a voting choice.

In a related note:

"Nuke the whales? You don't really believe that, do you?
"Gotta nuke somethin'!"
"Touche"

ataccini said:

I'm pretty sure they were lip-synching. Wonder if there's a way to get the bullpen to do something similar with pitches....how would that work, anyway?

we have Grabow pretend to throw the ball, and Mariano Rivera hiding behind him and REALLY throwing the ball.

Edelweiss said:

It's not Grabow's fault. He has a burn on his throwing hand.

AndCounting said:

Bug Bunny yo-yo ball?

I'm blaming Hendry, because a) he put this craptacular team together and b) he was so damn arrogant about it at Cubs Con (see previous rant in today's headlines. How he ever thought Grabow, Spellcheck and Justin Berg were going to hold this thing together is beyond me.

I'm fairly sure that if things don't turn around soon, we'll be looking at a new field manager and general manager next year.

It appears to be about a 4 year pattern forming...new blood needs to be brought in every 4 years.

So...does Sandburg become manager next year? Or do we get someone with a lot of experience again?

plamorte said:

Ryne Sandberg would be COOL to see in the dugout but I don't think he's ready, no matter how many marks are calling for him. Really would like to see what Brenly can do, he knows the team and system better than anyone they could bring in from the outside. Plus look what Quenneville's mustache did for the Blackhawks. How about Sandberg as a bench coach and then we steal Mark Grace away from 'Zona to fill the TV spot? Also would like Candy Maldonado to be the first base coach and bring back Bruce Kimm as third base coach. And why not create a second bench coach position for Rene Lachemann? No?

As far as Sandburg...I actually think he will make a really good manager some day...be I've said this many times, he needs to coach for at least one season at the big league level before getting a big league managerial position.

Ultimately, I was hoping this season would go well enough to keep Lou on for one more year and Sandburg would move up to be the third base coach next year...then with a rebuilding process in operation, move Sandburg into the manager role for the 2012 season...just in time for the apocalypse.

plamorte said:

The apocalypse will make a great excuse for us Cubs fans in the afterlife. "Well we didn't even get a chance to win one okay, the world ended!"

jarowcliffe said:

I agree 100%, I think Ryno will be a great manager someday but I dont think that day has come yet. I have really grown to like Brenly. I dont care what anyone says about him, I think he knows this game as good as anyone. His pitching management Im a little worried about but he did what he needed to to win.

I would love to have Grace in the booth too.

I wonder how Brenly would do with Soriano?

cadarnell said:

it's got to be the Ryno !!!

Eh, what's the point. This team is just sorry and pathetic, and probably will be for another 100 years.

ataccini said:

I would've voted all of the above, were it an option, but settled on the players. It's Lou's fault that he appears to have checked out, it's Hendry's fault that the bullpen is the pigpen, but it's the players' fault that we're four games under .500.

The guys on the roster are supposed to be grownups (well, minus Li'l Starlin), so it sucks that Lou isn't "motivating them properly" (whatever that means), but boo-hoo. And if they were playing at anything close to their skill level, the pigpen wouldn't be enough to blow up games the way they have.

(Was inspired to insert here a video clip of a certain scene from 1994's "Swimming with Sharks" with Kevin Spacey, Frank Whaley and Benicio del Toro--then remembered how few people have seen it and didn't want to be a spoiler. If you don't know this film, see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114594/ and thank me later. "Way it goes...")

cadarnell said:

well .... this is Claude frome facebook ...so you know how I voted .... LOU!!!!!

plamorte said:

greetings Claude frome facebook

cadarnell said:

greetings ....that did sound sorta funny "this is Claude from facebook .... take me to your league leader" ... in a deep aleinish voice ...lol

gee claude, how did i know you would vote for Lou?

;)

Dmband said:

Im gonna go with Hendry. I have to agree, a bullpen comprised of 3 rookies just isnt gonna cut it unless you get really lucky.

I think the other question is do Lou and Hendry make it through the season? I highly doubt they fire Lou mid season, but you'd have to really consider if we are 15 games back in July, whats the point...he's not coming back...you're better off moving on...

If we are going to pile on Hendry here...what about last year and going into the season without a back-up for the most frequently injured player on the team...Aramis Ramirez.

And also, how about signing Kevin Gregg, who had just been released by the Marlins for sucking?

Oh yeah...duh!

Judging from the dark skies in madison right now...no Cubs game for me tonight. :(

I'll try again tomorrow.

jarowcliffe said:

Wow...

Obviously this is Milton Bradley's fault.

FrankS said:

What, you think he slipped into the clubhouse and hit Junior with a night stick?

sloan peterson said:

2 words- Larry Rothchild! He did not do the best job when Dusty had him, and he isn't doing it now!

FrankS said:

Just to note, a certain blogmeister who shall remain nameless and who was against the firing of Dusty Baker is already on the bandwagon for removing Piniella.

Although to be honest, I wanted Lou sent packing last year because he sounded so depressed and defeated in the post-game interviews. It seemed as if he had given up. I suppose we can blame that on Milton Bradley too.

sloan peterson said:

Here are some replacements:
1. Dave Duncan- I know LaRussa is his life-partner, so teh Cubs would have to take them both.
2. Randy Johnson-knows a ton, isn't too busy?
3. Dennis Eckersley
4. Mitch Williams for the fun of it!
5. Dan Plezac-when he pitched my nickname for him was "Maalox Boy" because he looked sick when he would walk batters.

FrankS said:

The Blogmeister is stumping for Greg Maddox. I thought Greg was wanting to spend more time with his family so it wouldn't make sense that he'd consider it.

As far as names to consider, HIRE JIM ESSIAN!

Dmband said:

what are the chances Girardi leaves NY? Zero?

We should've gotten him in the first place.

It doesn't matter who manages this team. It doesn't matter who the GM is. It doesn't matter what players they have. This is the Cubs. They're awful by nature. We should be used to this by now

cadarnell said:

that's wrong

Edelweiss said:

That's pretty much on target.