What We Learned From Opening Day

Cubs Manager Piniella Ejected in Denver

Well, that sucked.

But on the first day of Year One, the Cubs suffered their worst Opening Day defeat in 126 years, losing 16-5 to Atlanta before 53,081 at Turner Field.

Manager
Lou Piniella said it was "somewhat of an embarrassing loss," which was somewhat of an understatement.

"We've got to pitch better," he said. "I never envisioned giving up 16 runs on Opening Day, never in my wildest dreams."

Ha. Yeah, me either. What about that blown call that left the Cubs with 2 outs and no one on, rather than 2 on and no outs?

"I told the umpire, 'Just look at the replay and you'll get the correct call,'" Piniella said. "Anyway, that play there, (Ramirez) has got to pick up the umpire that's closest to the play and hang halfway. But look, that wasn't why we lost the game. We lost the ballgame because we didn't pitch and we walked way, way too many people."

Cubs pitchers issued eight walks, including three by reliever
Jeff Samardzija, who put the game out of reach in the seventh, allowing six runs. By the time Justin Berg gave up a pair in the eighth, pitching coach Larry Rothschild had practically worn out the rubber in his cleats on mound visits.

And of course, no game recap would be complete without Ryan Theriot butting in:

"Obviously, it's not the way we'd like to start," shortstop Ryan Theriot said. "But it's not how you start, it's how you finish."

Here's to hoping we finish with you at 2B and Castro at SS, because your (lack of) defense up the middle is killing us.

Speaking of killing us, the back half of the bullpen looked like complete sh*t:

Left-handers Sean Marshall and James Russell both acquitted themselves in their first outings, combining for 4 2/3 scoreless innings. But Jeff Samardzija and Justin Berg each walked three batters and allowed a combined eight runs in 1 2/3 innings.

As someone on twitter commented yesterday, can we trade Spellcheck back to college football? That seems to be where he was most comfortable. And where I was, too.

As long as we're talking about college, the Cubs have, once again, managed to spread their poor luck around:

Lou Piniella said he sent a note to Brad Stevens, the basketball coach of Butler, which played Duke on Monday night for the NCAA title.

"I heard that he was a Cubs fan," Piniella said.

Piniella was informed that Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, a Chicagoan, also is a Cubs fan, even though Krzyzewski recently was quoted as saying: "Just judge people for who they are right now. We're not the Yankees. We're not, thank goodness, the Cubs."

Strictly speaking, I suppose this is true. The Cubs are beloved the world over, despite their losing ways, while Duke, despite multiple national championships, is universally hated.

Let's take a moment to recap what we learned during yesterday's game:

1.  The "new" Z < The "old" Z.

2.  Aramis Ramirez has better eyesight than at least 4 umpires.

3.  Spellcheck chose poorly.

4.  We need to Castro up here sooner, rather than later.

5. Fontenot/Theriot may be the worst defensive middle-infield in baseball.

6. The entire country is now sick of "God Bless America" in the 7th inning.

Did I leave anything out? If so, feel free to chime in below.

7. Gravedigger's prediction is going to be right, this team will lose 90 games.

AndCounting said:

Boooooooo.

Alex Quigley said:

8. Barf.

DustyBaylor said:

Castro had 39 errors last season..let's just let him have a full season at AA, hmm? Errors aren't the sum total of measuring defensive ability, but whew...that's not good.

I dunno---he looked pretty smooth over there during ST. WAY better than Theriot looked.

AndCounting said:

It's pretty typical of AA, actually. He'll improve, but the fields in AA probably won't.

i don't even care what he does at the plate. we need his defense.

my kingdom to untrade Andres Blanco. Fontenot has no business being out there.

and people screamed and yelled at me when I bitched and moaned about the Cubs signing Chad Tracy. Now look!

kiwibob said:

And to think you rubbished Blanco last season. How fickle you are...

I rather fancied the idea of having Blanco at SS every day but that would only have happened if Lou and Hendry were confident our outfielders and Soto could have a better season than last year.
I don't think they had that confidence so Blanco got the chop.
Does anyone know if we got a ptbnl? Or did they take the cash?

MB21 said:

For what it's worth, defense doesn't improve. It gets worse. The more you move up the system, the worse a fielder gets. Fielding isn't like hitting in that we can expect players to get better with age until they're 26 or 27 years old. Defense peaks very early, but not as early as baserunning (21 or 22). I can't remember on defense, but I think it's 23 or 24. Combine that with the -2 to -3 runs for each step and Castro won't get any better defensively.

This is why guys who play SS in the low minors end up at 2nd, 3rd, or in the outfield. It's very easy to be a shortstop in the low minors and very difficult when you move up through the system. A league average fielding shortstop in Low A is expected to be about -10 runs at the big league level at that position. In other words, if a guy is only a league average fielder in the low minors at SS, he's playing another position at the big league level if he ever gets there.

If the fields were really the problem, then we can expect it to improve because of that. If it's because of his arm, we can probably expect a modest improvement, but not much of one. I don't think we should expect Castro to be nearly as good defensively as some have said. He's not that good right now with the glove.

I'm as high on Castro as anyone, but there's a reason that many scouts see him as a 2nd baseman (he sucks on defense). Rally has him at -6 runs this year, which is about 9 runs worse than Theriot or a full loss worse on defense alone. Add in the fact that Castro would hit like crap and you've got a recipe for disaster if you bring him up right now. He's where he needs to be for at least half a season. If things go well promote him to AAA in July and let him finish the season there. Then assess where he needs to go next year. He needs to make a ton of improvements before he's a major league player.

Add him to the roster right now and there's no doubt whatsoever that he would easily be the worst player on the roster and that includes Jeff Samardzija.

He might be able to beat Theriot out of the job at some point, but he can't do it now. Not defensively and definitely not offensively.

I think most here accept this may not be a very good season, so there's no reason to rush him and more importantly, use up a year of service time that you could save down the road.

ClydeR said:

should have started me at ss not trade me away for nothing! Hendry is an idiot. Hendry & Pineilla love Fontenot (what a threesome).

On these same lines,

Watching Castro in the field this spring, he did show some flash out there, but he has some real issues out there in the field. He made some really bad plays out there, and those plays were on good fields. Castro's biggest problem is his arm...which is strong, but about as controlled as Shawon Dunston's.

Anyone who thinks Castro is going to be the second coming of Ozzie Smith is greatly mistaken. He might get to more balls, but for each of those extra balls he get's to, he likely will make up for it by throwing the ball into the stands...and even D-Lee's height won't save him that much.

With all that said, he is still only 20 years old...so who knows...he still hasn't peaked on defense...

I don't think he's the second coming of Ozzie, I just think he'll have more range than Theriot.

Hell, *I* have more range than Theriot.

no you don't.

You're range is about the same as his. Please don't exaggerate.

I don't know if i can ever forgive you for this.

I don't know why you are so upset, you and theriot both have better range than I do...hell, with my bum knee, I can barely make it up stairs right now.

Maddog, just ONCE I would like to go off half-cocked about something without you coming over here and making me look bad with your "facts."

you want him to make you look bad with lies?

yes. that way, we both look bad.

Oh...well, I'm pretty good at that.

abe frohman said:

Bring back Nomar!

Yeah...at least he'd get hurt, go on the DL and castro could come up and take his place.

plamorte said:

9. Having Yunel Escobar on my fantasy team was a curse and a blessing. Having Aramis too was just icing.

The real issue with Samardzija is that he has no business being with the big league club right now. The Cubs need to stop flip flopping with him and make a decision that he is either going to be a relief pitcher, a starter or a wide receiver and then send him to the minor leagues (or the Bears) and let him focus on that one task...and then when he is ready, bring him up.

9. Starlin Castro will not fix this team.

DKT said:

I totally agree with you, make a decision with him. Going to the Bears might be the best option at this point with his lack of control of his pitches

DKT said:

As long as they don't try to make him a quarterback...

Karen said:

Never leave work early to watch opening day...?

Ha. I planned my whole day around that game yesterday. That was. . . that was a mistake.

usually I would have tried to get home, with beer in the fridge to watch at least part of the game, and then headed over to watch the NCAA Championship with friends, who knew school ruining my personal life would have been a good thing yesterday

Cubs Psychologist said:

Thank God we have today off to recover from such a tragedy. I am providing free services for those who experienced the trauma yesterday.

Can you give us some tips for dealing with trauma?

Cubs Psychologist said:

Yes, one of the first things suggested is finding support among peers. LOHO comes in quite handy.

Also, liquor.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Since I didn't see or hear any of yesterday's game, I'm chalking it up as the last exhibition.

Tornado sirens going off out here.

What am I supposed to do again? Open the windows? Close the windows? Go downstairs? Go outside?

stand on your roof while holding up a 5 iron.

oh right.

i've been thinking it's time to get my clubs out this season, anyway.

PsyMar1 said:

I've been golfing a lot lately, but it's hitting the time of year in North Carolina where I have to finish my round before 8 AM hits and the temperature goes to 90.

PsyMar1 said:

No, it's a 1-iron. Lee Trevino said "Even God can't hit a 1-iron."

I think you missed the point. :)

Teebob2000 said:

You look at the calendar, realize it's a Tuesday at 10 a.m. and remember that you live in a state prone to tornadic activity and therefore hear those same sirens *every* Tuesday.

Funnily enough, we have one very close to our office. When we have people travel in from out-of-state (we do computer training) where they don't have regular siren runs, it's fun to give a look of sheer terror when it first goes off and see their reactions.

Yes, but when I hear them at the same time a "tornado warning" is on tv, I take them more seriously than usual.

Edelweiss said:

Those are the Tuesday air raid sirens. Wipe your butt and wash your hands.

--MGb said:

Zambrano is not, nor will he ever be, our Ace. Or our duece for that matter.

Well, he laid a deuce down on the field yesterday.

DustyBaylor said:

Lol...stay inside, get to the basement..if no basement, an inner room...a bathroom is always good if no windows..

Castro is the SS of the future, and I know that the fields in the minors aren't as good as MLB..but to say that would cut his error rate in half? He'll be here...and hopefully he'll teach Berg and Spellcheck how to throw strikes...

keywestcubfan said:

Tornado warnings always make me want to go to the bathroom. So did yesterday's "game"

Dmband said:

I think Homer sums its up best:

"Ive seen some teams suck before. But that was the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked."

I would rather have Giant-Headed Griffey out there than Fontenot.

Cj-

Grab a piece of sheet metal and run under the tallest tree you can find.

I'm suddenly very unenthusiastic about going to opening day at Wrigley next monday.

I'll take your ticket. . .

Give me a call if this team is 0-5 come sunday morning.

i'll start making plans now!

Umbra said:

Ryan Theriot is not the issue here. He is a pretty good fielder at SS. For what it's worth, Fontenot has put up some pretty good defensive numbers at 2B as well.

I know UZR/150 has its flaws, but it's a fair standard to apply and better than anecdotes.

Career UZR/150 at primary position:

Cubs:
Theriot:4.8
Fontenot:10.4

Brewers:
Escobar:-4.8 (in 40 games)
Weeks:-7.6

Cardinals:
Ryan:13.9
Schumaker:-8.5

Reds:
Cabrera:3.8
Phillips:7.3

Astros:
Manzella:-19.8 (in 3 games)
Matsui:2.7

Pirates:
Cedeno (Yes that one):-5.6
Iwamura:1.4

Past performance isn't a great predictor of future success (with the volatility involved year-to-year as well as the effect of age), but my point is this: Please do not criticize the things the Cubs do well and make them into a liability.

There are plenty of legitimate things that sucked about yesterday's game, chief among them walks from Zambrano and Jeff Samardzija.

Yesterday, neither Fontenot nor Theriot did anything well.

I don't like having both of them out there. I want Theriot at 2B, Fontenot on the bench (he couldn't hit water if he feel out of a boat), and I want a REAL SS. With range.

As I described it, Theriot was doing somersaults and running in circles going after pop ups yesterday. I'm fairly sure I could do better.

And Fontenot looks like a little leaguer.

Umbra said:

If wishes and buts were oats and nuts, we'd all have a bowl-a granola.

I know we get on Theriot's case a lot, but again, look at the division:

Brendan Ryan
Ryan Theriot
Alcides Escobar
Orlando Cabrera
Ronny Cedeno
Tommy Manzella

Which of those exactly is a REAL SS?

Wow...our division sucks.

JB said:

in Fontenot's defense he did make one good play and his error ( or not error) didn't cost us anything

Theriot on the other hand
What the hell dose he think there is a 5th infielder on the between him and 2nd he never even moved towards the middle
I guess he thinks I got the job Castro's in AA don't have to worry anymore

JB said:

and that play in center ugh

And Theriot always does that stupid 'sellin' move where dives and swipes at the ball that went exactly where he should have been standing in the first place.

DKT said:

If Theriot isn't careful, he'll be hearing Castro's footsteps as he comes up from AA

ClydeR said:

Sounds like youre looking for Blanco???

I didn't know what I had until he was gone.

Arkansascubfan said:

I miss Augie.

AndCounting said:

It's not necessarily that much better than anecdotes. Pretty sure it doesn't even take into account how patently awful Theriot is at catching pop flies.

What I also know is that Theriot had a much, much worse day than Zambrano did yesterday and that no statistic I know of will quantify that. Theriot's defensive struggles in yesterday's game may have allowed anywhere from 6 to 12 extra runs.

So what you are saying is that even if the Cubs had a better defensive shortstop, they still would have lost...just not by as big of a margin.

AndCounting said:

I blame Theriot for the blown call as well. Only one replay angle caught it, but Theriot was actually conducting a phone interview with the entire umpiring squad when Nate McLouth dropped that ball. When the umps conferred, they asked Riot if he saw it, and he said, "Heh, that's just Aramis not wanting to run back to first. He's such a ham. Nice catch, Nate."

AndCounting said:

Honestly I don't think yesterday's game is representative of Theriot's skills in general, it's just that his mistakes did more to cement people's opinions about Z than anything Zambrano did. Theriot has a bad game, which confirms that Zambrano is not an ace. Because an ace doesn't give up bloop hits and slow hoppers up the middle, relying on his shortstop to make plays behind him. No, an ace strikes out everyone, or dominates them into grounding balls to where their competent fielders are standing. And when those players do make errors, an ace never gives up a home run.

Look at Christ Carpenter. He gave up two homers yesterday, and they were bombs, but he was ace enough not to let anyone hit bloop, broken-bat singles before that happened.

BS. Carpenter and Z had pretty much the same stuff yesterday, but Z was less fortunate. 2 homers. Nobody else hits the ball hard. Occasional wildness. Carp gets a quality start and a win; Z gets shelled.

THIS.

Fontenot bobbling that routine grounder was just miserable.

DKT said:

Unfortunately, all mistakes are magnified 100% because everyone sucked.

With the possible exception of Marlon Byrd. He's the only one who gets a bye.

Along with Marshall and Russell.

Byrd was positioned badly on 2 or 3 fly balls yesterday, and his lack of range also was a bit glaring as well. But at least he hit a homer to make up for it.

Umbra said:

Zambrano walked two, hit a batter, made an error, gave up two home runs, and didn't make it out of the second inning.

Now, I didn't get to watch the game (I just played it on my spreadsheet), but really????

see, this explains a lot. if you had seen the game, you'd be as rage-filled as the rest of us are.

AndCounting said:

Yeah, really. In the first, there were three balls most shortstops could have reached that Theriot didn't. None were errors. Any could have ended the inning before the six runs were scored. Z could have lasted into the 5th or 6th with the stuff he had.

FrankS said:

I would again like to express my preference that Theriot be traded for a bag of used baseballs. I'd rather see what Baker can do at 2nd than have to read one more quote from the Musketeer while wearing a Cub uniform.

Indytom said:

Hi Julie... (twitter follower tom_reutebuch)

All I can say is, I hope Aramis stays healthy all season long...we need his offense.

Pitching was and still is my concern coming into this season.

Despite Zambrano's performance yesterday, starting pitching is still a strong point for this team.

But we, indeed, need to be concerned about that bullpen. Very concerned.

Cubs Psychologist said:

True...we saw what spellcheck did yesterday. Is it possible that he could enter the draft in April?

the Cubs need to seriously consider sending him down to Iowa and let him work on either being a starter permanently, or a reliever permanently. The fact they keep moving him back and forth is setting him up to be a complete failure.

But personally, I'd like to see the Cubs cut their loses with this kid.

ClydeR said:

Trade him to the Bears along with Hendry.

Uhhhhh... the starting rotation includes Silva and Gorzebaloney.

They haven't sucked yet this year...so I still consider them good.

DKT said:

I'm holding out hope for Silva and Gorzelanny until they have their first outings.

Then I'm sure I'll be back to trash talk them.

I STILL don't understand why Lou pulled Marshall so quickly. He looked like he had a couple more innings in him. Leave him out there, and we can possibly avoid Spellcheck and Berg.

keywestcubfan said:

Agreed. With the off day, he could have gone longer......

I just read that Major League baseball is going to make the Braves spot the Cubs 10 runs in tomorrow's game before it even starts just to make it more competitive.

This handicapping implementation, which is known as the "Cubs Rule", will be put into affect immediately to ensure more competitive play throughout all of baseball. The only other team that is expect to benefit at all from this rule is the Washington Nationals.

DKT said:

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the Cubs would even blow 10 runs...

Especially if some of those relievers have to come into the game...

Dmband said:

I know its only one game, but:

No team who has given up 15 runs or more on opening day has gone on to make the playoffs.

I dont know if that means anything, but I know it sucks.

abe frohman said:

I, too, have been looking for statistical comfort in yesterday's embarassment.
I found this: 6 of the last 8 World Series champions (including the last 3 in a row) lost on opening day of the season in which they won the WS. That's 75%. Statistically, you'd have to be more concerned about the Cubs' World Series chances if they had won yesterday.

Um . . right?

You know, it occurs to me that Lou might have run through the bullpen on purpose. You know, just to let us all know what we really have. Like: "Hey, you guys are excited about the season starting? Take a good, long look at your team!"

Dmband said:

I think Lou knows that Marshall is gonna get a ton of work this year and he doesnt want to burn him out too soon.

But yes, it did seem odd at the time, since the game was within reach...

thisyearcub said:

11. Jennifer Hudson should never be allowed to sing "One Shining Moment" ever again. Or maybe for the women's tournament.

Agree. Bring back Luther. And you don't show the singer during the song! It's supposed to be about the game!

I do not understand the meaning of these comments.

thisyearcub said:

NCAA Tournament, GD.

Oh, that.

Wait, they have a women's tournament? Haaaaa... how cute. They let the women play, too.

Britney Griner would like a word with you.

Cubs Psychologist said:

I like Jennifer Hudson, but I couldn't agree more. It killed me last night to watch that. Either bring back Luther or the original dude.

I love this abe.

They obviously threw the game to ensure a world series championship.

I feel much, much better.

Umbra said:

Maxwell House Giant Tub 'O Coffee:Coffee::Chicago Cubs:Baseball Teams

Better than nothing, but terrible by comparison.

HackWilson09 said:

You covered everything well. I'm not sure how, after everything that's happened, Lou could justify giving the first ball of the season to Z instead of Dempster. Dempster had a better 2009, he had a better spring, and he's a more level-headed guy for the biggest game.

I'm glad to see someone recognizing fully what a poor pitcher Spellcheck is, and has always been. He's shown virtually no signs of being the pitcher Hendry thinks he is. None. How many million dollars did he get for this? He's just so perfectly hittable, with the ceiling of a Turk Wendell or a Todd Van Poppel, if he ever does reach it.

Castro will be our shorstop. We just gotta sit on our hands, don't we?

Now it's a race to see who sees more bench time in favor of Nady or Colvin -- Soriano or Fukudome. Soriano stinks to the highest levels of hell.

You must be relatively new. We've ALWAYS hated Spellcheck over here. Could they have picked a WORSE player to give a NTC to?

Ugh?

PsyMar1 said:

I learned that the Cubs haven't lost by that many runs on Opening Day since a 15-3 loss to the Giants in 1884, and that we have never given up 16 or more runs on Opening Day before.

abe frohman said:

Yeah, but that was only 126 years ago. You need to let some time pass before you can put that into perspective.

Hey, but the Cubs finished that season 12 games over .500, so that should give us some hope. After stuggling in the first half of the season, they really turned it around in the second half.

So we should be happy about that lose yesterday.

Dmband said:

So who is our setup man? Assuming we ever enter the 8th inning with a lead again?

Yeah, don't think we really need to sweat it on that one.

Marshall.

No, we need to keep Marshall for when our starters flame out in the 2nd inning.

He can do both.

DKT said:

At this rate, poor Sean (Marshall) won't have an arm left by the end of May...

Too bad no one else is capable of steppiing up and pitching like a major leaguer

sloan peterson said:

I missed keeping track of yesterday's game since I had a class at work about Windows Vista. Yes, Windows Vista.When I asked if it was 20-0, I did not think I was so close. My family watched the Cubs tank after they watched the Dodger that morning lose to the Pirates 11-5, and my mom wants to thank the Cubs for making her feel better.. She also wants to know if the Cubs will trade Spellcheck for Vincente Padilla....

JB said:

And by the way
WTF ESPN cut into the game in the bottom of the first
So I didnt even get to see the best part of the game
who the hell wants to watch Stlouis and the Reds any way

no ESPN and the Cubs are winning, ESPN went on air with the game and the Cubs tanked? coincidence, or conspiracy?

Dmband said:

Wasnt it also on the "U"....the worst HD channel in the history of HD channels?

MillsChC said:

I think the Pirates flag should be on top above... just to give em a day with their flag on top.

abe frohman said:

I actually realized that this morning when I got to work. (The flags are on my home computer.) If the Pirates are still on top tonight (I haven't seen today's schedule), I'll move them up for sure!

berselius said:

Agreed 1 million percent on God Bless America, Julie

Alex and I actually got into an argument about this one day. I don't think the national anthem has any place in sporting events, either.

And I never really got the connection between 9/11 and the 7th inning stretch. "We were attacked by terrorists so we're going to sing 'God Bless America' at baseball games---that oughta show Al Qaeda!'

Whatever.

I like the National Anthem as a national, cross sport sign that the event is beginning, like the ding ding and dimming lights at the theater, but in a big boisterous way, although I prefer when the singers can actually you know sing

God Bless America? maybe on July 4th would be ok, other than that just sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame, whatever the local musical choice is and be done with it

AndCounting said:

Silly blue state-ers, always underestimating the influence of red state idealism.

Dmband said:

Just replace the Cubs flag with a plain white flag...

ZING!

so I'm a little concerned, because right now I'm really wanting to listen to a Cubs game

baseball is baseball...I have already become numb to fact that the Cubs suck.

this is why we need a mass intervention.

Through it all, at least none of 'us' have paid $850 million for this joke of a ballclub.

but if we owned the ballclub the $500 trips to Wrigley would be included in the price

not worth it.

abe frohman said:

Are you sure? What makes you think one of us isn't Tom Ricketts? He could be any one of us, hiding behing an alias.
I think it's Sparkles.

Actually, I think it is you. That reminds me of a time when I was associcated with a Styx web-board, and Tommy Shaw would post on their under an alias. He stopped disappeared when a bunch of us were upset when Dennis DeYoung got kicked out of the band. (I'm such a loser.)

ok...completely off topic...

What do you do when the company you work for no longer needs you and that company doesn't lay people off for any reason? Do you quit? Or do you stay in that job and sit around doing close to nothing while collecting a paycheck, allowing your skills to get severely obsolete?

I really wish there was a game today so I didn't have to sit around and think about this all day.

Karen said:

Right now, in this market, you stay in that job and sit around looking like you are working, but looking for a new job. Don't go anywhere until you have a new job. My whole department has been gradually laid off between Feb and April, and only one out of 20 has found employment. This is in north suburbs of Chicago, and all but 4 or so were degreed professionals. Job market still sucks out there.

The funny thing is, I could probably get a job up here in Madison without a problem. But I'll be damned if I would to change jobs and not move closer to Chicago.

DKT said:

It was really hard to listen after the first half inning...I'm hoping that future games will be better. It can only get better, right? RIGHT? I sure hope so.

If not, I'm not sure I can continue to listen to this version of the Cubs for very much longer. Here's hoping changes are in store and soon.

Colvin in the outfield, Baker at second, Soriano and Fontenot on the bench as pinch-hitters. Pitchers that are actually able to get major leaguers out.

It's a vision I can see coming... and soon

sloan peterson said:

Doc-
Maybe take an online class,research other businesses in your companies/your field? Or write the great American novel about the ups and downs of being a Cubs fan...

Well...if I'm going to change careers, I'm not staying at this company to do it. I'm basically only living in Wisconsin because of the flexibility that this job has provided me over the years. I did, at one time, feel I had a large stake in the success of the company, and helped them in developing some outstanding products that have made them a lot of money. Not so much any more.

And that truth is, I'm really aching to move back to Chicago.

And I don't think I'd be able to make as much money in most any other job field than I am right now as a software engineer. But leaving the job I have now most likely means the loss of much of the flexibility that has allowed me to do many of the things I enjoy so much.

So that is the dilemma I'm faced with.

kiwibob said:

Move to Australia... lots of software engineeers required here.
Weather is good.
People are friendly.
And the Cubs games are usually over by midday which leaves more time to drink to numb the misery...
It's a win all round

I've very much wanted to move to a better climate...but one big problem with that is the fact that instead of having to drive 3 hours to and 3 from each Cubs game I want to attend, I'd have to fly for about 18 hours.

Outside of that, I'm pretty much game for that plan.

kiwibob said:

Hmmm...
I can see your problem.
Until science provides us with our long promised teleportation machines then perhaps you may have to cancel that scheme.

Doc-

Quite simply, you stick around, collect a check, and make a conserted effort to find another job. Take at least 1 personal day in the next few weeks to line up some interviews.

Yeah...that's what I probably should do...

It makes me feel like such an asshole to be unhappy about my current job situation when so many people are out of work right now too. It's just been eating at me for so long now. I just seems wrong to be looking for another job...and possibly taking away a job from another person who might really need it. My company wouldn't bother to replace me if I left.

Dmband said:

It never hurts to see whats out there. It will give you a good measuring stick to see if its truely "worth" it to leave.

Dont ever feel bad about being a skilled, desireable employee.

Well, I'd be lying if I said I haven't looked. I almost left a year and a half ago. One of the other problems, I really don't like my career...I just like the fact I make a decent amount of money at it. That really hurts the motivation to find another job as well.

Skilled? Somewhat. Desirable? Well, that remains to be seen.

Karen said:

Well, shit...I should have read down thread more...

not a problem...I'm listening to all advice here. It's important to get as much information, to learn. I've been at my current job for 10 years...since I graduated from college. I haven't really gone through this sort of career crisis before, so I'm trying to understand how I should go about this and learn from what other people have done.

Karen said:

If you are truly thinking of moving, and getting a new mortgage, try not to do anything that will harm your credit score, or make them question your "stability". Changing jobs is one of those things, but having an employment gap can have a worse impact. Try to tough it out, then find your dream job here when your house up there sells.

Well, while we are selling our house right now, we don't have plans on buying another one until we are settled...wherever that may be.

Dmband said:

Yeah..I always joked that the only people that TRUELY love thier careers are Rock stars movie stars and sports players.

The rest of us are just trying to make enough cash to pay the bills and take the occasional $500 trip to wrigley!

Yeah...those $500 trips to wrigley are really starting to add up for me...ugh.

Right now Ricketts is thinking

"Where did I put that receipt?".....

I can just see it now...

Tom Ricketts wandering down Michigan Ave with his receipt, and he goes to the front door of Tribune Tower where Sam Zell is hammering up a sign:

"No Returns...
All sales are final."

Even though this thread is incredibly depressing, I love all the new "faces" that have stopped by.

Too bad some of the old ones are still around too.

Dmband said:

hahahahaha. Zell might give him 'store credit'

or 850 million dollars worth of subscriptions...that would rejuvinate the trib!

"What the hell am I going to do with 100 million subscriptions to the LA Times?"

Cj-

I agree 100% about god bless america. Particularly when Steven Tyler sang it or when someone decides to do a hip hop rendition of the national anthem.

However, I am of the opinion that to start the game its appropriate to acknowledge the fact that our country affords us the freedom to enjoy those types of events.

Also, the hawks national anthem 'experience' is one of the coolest, most uplifiting things you can be apart of at a random sporting event. Just dont tell the folks from Detroit that...

pffffft. Russians had freedom to enjoy sporting events, too, you just never knew when the KGB was going to to show up.

unless it's the WC or the Olympics, I just don't get the mixing of jingoism and sporting events in this country. half the guys on the Cubs aren't even American. it makes about as much sense to me as singing "We Didn't Start The Fire" before every sporting event.

who cares then? nobody is making people sing, I like it, I like that everyone stands up and joins together in something, you know before the heckling of the Cards fan next to you starts

ps, for a decent read that includes hockey games in Hungary try Ballad of the Whiskey Robber

MillsChC said:

I learned that the fireworks staff at Turner Field are incredibly lame as they were firing them off after every single strikeout that a Braves' pitcher recorded. I'm not a big fan of fireworks at all, but certainly just a strikeout is too meager of an accomplishment to warrant fireworks every time.

keywestcubfan said:

Unless you're kicking the Cubs ass.

LostinFla said:

Very late thoughts on what we learned yesterday:

We learned that Z is brutal when not destroying water coolers or punching catchers...

We learned that Ryan Theriot is brutal, but will keep on starting until darlin' Starlin has enough service time in the minors to keep the clock from ticking...

We learned that Milton Bradley is brutal, but we can't see him to boo anymore unless we have MLB.TV or Season Ticket...

What we might learn this weekend (not Cub related) is whether Tiger can be successful without "play through" privileges...

FWIW, I don't necessarily want Theriot OUT, I just want him moved to 2B. Fontenot is the one I want out.

Also, just so photos of Tiger smirking and texting. He really has no idea how bad that looks, does he?

Edelweiss said:

If Theriot is brutal at ss, what makes you think he could handle 2nd? A second baseman has to be able to range to his left, which Theriot cannot do. Remember, the first baseman can't stray too far from the bag. If you remember the opening fiasco, there were more balls hit to 2b than to short, and Fontenot had to make several putouts at first. (Atlanta's lineup is heavily lefty.) What range Theriot has is to his right, and Ramirez makes up for what he lacks. Why do you suppose, Theriot spent no time at 2b in Spring Training? I have heard from my sources that Theriot does not want to play second.

I would like to know what the freaking point of having YESN is if all the games are blacked out?

Answer: No point whatsoever.

MillsChC said:

Your service offers YES for Chicagoans but not MLBN... that's messed up.

That's almost like having CSN here in Madison, but all the Cubs games are blacked out. Boo.

I don't understand why it is ok for WGN's games to be shown, but the CSN games have to be blacked out.

Arkansascubfan said:

I ordered Fox Sports Chicago on Dish Network and then all the Cubs games were blacked out a couple of years ago, and I live in Arkansas.

We need to order a massive underground resistance. We're going to pool our money and buy 100 slingboxes, then let all those out of the area opt in.

AndCounting said:

You can watch all the other programming. It's quite fascina...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz