Wednesday Morning Headlines

Cubs Gorzelanny and Soto Watch Rockies Tulowitzki First Inning Home Run in Denver

Not from last night, but it could have been

I love when I'm right, really love it.  Except when I don't, such as my prediction that the Cubs will not have more than a 4 game winning streak this season.  In attempt #1, well, lets hear Gorzelanny tell about it

"Their guy pitched a little bit better," Gorzelanny said, "and that's how they win it."
"The game tonight basically was we didn't do much offensively," Piniella said Well not quite, whats the real story Lou

"The game tonight basically was we didn't do much offensively," Piniella said

Great, the are back under .500 now too.

So Livan Hernandez was good, Gorzy was good, the Cubs offense was bad. Awesome.

And in the story that just will not go away Ted Lilly speaks up

Ted Lilly empathizes with Carlos Zambrano and said he would understand if Zambrano was upset with his new role as setup man. "Absolutely," he said. "But he wants this team to win, first and foremost, so he's going to do whatever he can to help the team win."

snip

So what if manager Lou Piniella asked Lilly to go to the bullpen to help solve the Cubs' eighth inning problems? "I want to pitch however I get into the game," he replied. "Unfortunately, it's not my call as to how many innings I get to pitch, or what role I'm in. I'd voice my opinion, but you do what you have to do."

Actually one of the most reasoned pieces about this story, that I've seen. Thanks Paul.

There is a day game (yay!) today.  So entertain yourselves, and me, for the next few hours.  Then maybe the Cubs can start a new winning streak

And for the record I'm pretty sure the Rallymals were created by Faith and maybe Sec while at  Murphy's a few years ago.    I remember picture of little toys.

I said entertain me people

Well, I'm dancing...isn't that enough?

As I recall, Sec picked up many of those original rallymals at the airport before arriving for LOHO day three years ago. Actually, Saffron uses a couple of them as bath toys, I think.

secdelahc said:

the rallymals were around before the 1st LOHO day, so I brought physical representations of them. I'm glad Saffron gets some use out of them, at least.

plamorte said:

man Gorz looks so much like a Sloth

I heard that the Cubs keep a supply of Rocky Road ice cream and Baby Ruth candy bars available for him to eat before and after each game he pitches.

secdelahc said:

Sloth love Chunk!

thisyearcub said:

Here's a good (but sad) article by the Good Doctor for everyone:

good link tyc

thisyearcub said:

I'm not trying to fan the flames of this whole discussion again, but this is an issue pretty near to my heart and when some people were cracking jokes about it (not any of the main posters on here), I wasn't very happy.

Unfortunately, as they say, you can't cure stupid.

I was really debating on whether or not I would say anything about what I heard on Monday night, but considering I was one of the people that was trying to water down the Milton Bradley racism argument a bit, I felt I needed to say something now that I seen (or heard it) first hand.

I was really upset, and it really put a damper on a nice evening.

thisyearcub said:

Sorry you had to witness that crap. It's a small group of idiots in this world. I'd like to release the Kraken on their asses.

jarowcliffe said:

I hope that my "Nyjer" joke isnt what you are referring to...I didnt intend to offend anyone.

Aisle424 said:

I've actually been fairly impressed with how even-balanced Sullivan has been on Z-Gate. He's been poking around more than I would prefer, but no more than anyone else and he's not going overboard on speculation of what Z means when he says he isn't "happy happy."

As Adam mentioned on his blog, most of the hyperactivity on this story is coming from the on-air media.

Dmband said:

Funny question I heard on the radio yesterday...they were unable to confirm or deny:

Has a team ever been triple Carlos'd?

Silva, Z, Marmol?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I guess you saw the last time the Cubs had done it, I don't know about another team, though. It's quite possible someone else has done it.

jarowcliffe said:

I heard the last time the Cubs had anything similar was like 1963 and the pitchers names were "Bill"

Dmband said:

Guess I should have read the previous threads first.

Dammit.

Sorry, was in Vegas for a week..I have no idea what day, month or year it is.

Apologies...