The One Where We Talk About Sports Ads: With Tiger Masters Poll!

In case you haven't seen it, here's Tiger's new Nike Golf Ad:

So for me, here's the thing about this ad: I GET the unadorned, emotionally naked (wow, is that a loaded word when it comes to talking about Tiger these days) Tiger listening to creepy, disembodied voice of his father. But the way he keeps starting at the camera without emotion makes him look aloof, disconnected, and uninvolved in the discussion.

I would have liked it better if Tiger looked down in embarrassment at the end of the ad. It would have made him seem a little bit human. Instead, we get the same, emotionally detached Tiger we've gotten in every presser/interview he's done since he entered rehab.

Then again, I don't really care, as I just want to watch him play golf. But that had the chance to be a GREAT ad, and juuuuuuuuust missed.

Also, the ad reminded me that, according to many reports, Tiger learned his. . . uh . . . proclivities from his dad. So listening to Earl ask Tiger "what he was thinking" is kind of unintentionally funny.

Then there's this:

wayoflife.jpg

ATLANTA -- Being a Cubs fan is more than just attending games. For many, it's a way of life, which is what sparked a new marketing campaign for the 2010 season.

The ad campaign was developed by Draftfcb and highlights signature Cubs traditions such as the famous "W" flag flown after a win. Advertisements claiming, "It's a Way of Life" will be featured in local newspapers, radio stations, Web sites, billboards and locations around Wrigley Field.

Fans can celebrate their passion for the team as well. The team also wants to hear from fans who live and breathe Chicago Cubs baseball. Fans can visit Cubs.com and submit a short story about why Cubs baseball is a "way of life" to them.

Well, it IS a way of life. One that requires frequent interventions and on-going counseling, but a way of life nonetheless.

Note to Tom Ricketts:

If you really want to a great ad campaign, go hire whoever puts together the SportsCenter spots. I think this is the only agency that can probably capture the essence of being a Cubs fan.

We don't need stories from people who once called in sick to work for a game and think Ryan Theriot is an All-Star. We need commercials like this:

Please, Tom. PLEASE. Get us some good commercials. We have so little else! T

iger is warming up right now, so we'll end our mid-day diary with a poll:

You're missing the "I seriously don't give a fuck" option.

kiwibob said:

That was the option I was looking for. I'll just put my dot under your comment instead.

I seriously love those Sportscenter commercials. I love the idea that all these people (athletes, cheerleaders, mascots) all just hang out/work at ESPN. It makes me laugh.

Aisle424 said:

The ESPN commercials are better than most episodes of shows like Two and Half Men. The one with the kid sports anchor that was brought up "too soon," the one where Charlie Steiner was traded to Melrose Place for elizabeth Shue's brother, the celebrities singing to raise awareness of traveling in the NBA...

Hilarious.

i love any commercial that involves them abusing the Syracuse Orange.

There's one I can't find, where Dan Patrick (?) askes a racecar driver to get him somewhere fast, and on the way out, they totally plaster the Orange against the wall. Can't remember who the driver was, which is probably why I can't find it.

AndCounting said:

I wanted to select several options in this poll.

I feel nothing toward the ad other than that it's highly successful because it exists. I don't know that any of the content is that memorable longterm, but what people will remember is that Nike was the one sponsor that never left his side. Also, it's just one alphabetical position away from being Elin backwards. The past decade has shown that Tiger's endorsement was worth almost a billion dollars. Nike now has somewhat of an advertising monopoly on his fame. Even if his personal image isn't what it once was, his notoriety as an athlete is gigantically valuable.

AndCounting said:

The other thing I like is that the ad doesn't really make an attempt to make anybody feel good about Tiger, which I think a lot of people don't want to do. It just answers the same question Jay Leno asked Kanye ("What would your recently deceased loving parent have to say to you right now?") without the condescending monumental chin.

of all the polls ever on LOHO this needs the Bite Me option the most since I really don't care about golf or the Tiger Woods drama

Thank you.

well, i DID give you the 'score 15-30 more babes' option.

that would indicate that I care about the drama portion though

AndCounting said:

You seem strangely passionate about the not caring. I believe not voting is the general option of the apathetic.

Eric From The Dugs said:

I try not to be too obnoxious with self plugs, but this comic (done by actually one of the other guys from The Dugs), sums up about how I (we) feel about sports commercials http://thedugs.com/?p=154.

For me, they've actually become awesome in the same way that B movies are awesome. Particularly Blackhawks radio commercials. Asking those guys to bring out their personalities takes me back to the days of grade school book reports. Has anyone heard the Lemonheads & Friends commercial with Kane (or maybe it was Toews)?

Ha! Funny.

I have had to re-sign in 4 times today. Is the poorly-timed, hour-long update tonight going to fix that?

I'm going to guess not.

J Pep said:

I think Tiger gives "in the hole" a whole new meaning.

JB said:

I said form the start they spun this the wrong way

Nike and the PGA should run the black and while add wht the tag line
PLAY GOLF GET LAID

Post of the Day.

Someone explain to me why Tiger Woods's group is not the featured group at Masters.org?

abe frohman said:

I read they're still only showing holes 10-18 in the "featured group" coverage. Perhaps he will be after he makes the turn?

Dmband said:

I love the ad. But I want to clarify...I love the ad,, not because of Tiger, I love the ad because of how great of a job they did from a marketing standpoint. Its capitvating, which is extremely difficult for basically a 30 second spot. Its a win for Nike and Tiger in my opinion.

My all time favorite is and will always be the following:

I think thats the correct link...pls let me know if not...

Dmband said:

BTW great call Julie about the way Tiger looks..he should have had his head in his hand, or looking up...good call

just at the very end . . . just look down. that would have spoken volumes. just staring at the camera just enforces that "tiger is an emotionless robot" image.

abe frohman said:

Tiger 1-under through 3. Tied for 13th.

abe frohman said:

Anyone else ever wonder why the Augusta Nat'l logo (the one with the yellow USA with a golf flag coming out of Georgia) has a red flag, when actual Augusta pin flags are yellow? Am I thinking too much?

Eric From The Dugs said:

I also think the commercial could have been improved by ending on:

"Braaaaaaaains."

Too soon?

Dmband said:

Ever wonder why the head of the Masters got on his moral high horse and said our "hero let us down" in regards to Tiger, meanwhile the club didnt allow an African American member until 1990 and still doesnt allow women?

Pompous d bag.

If you look up douchebag in the dictionary, i'm pretty sure there's a photo of Hootie Johnson next to it.

Galen at The Dugs said:

It's a great ad, from a marketing standpoint.

Culturally, it's sad that such normal human feelings of shame, guilt, remorse, and the search for forgiveness and redemption are so effective when used for marketing purposes and boiled down to a 30 second spot.

It works because this stuff is so human, but it's so inhuman the way it only works so well because it's paraded in front of the public to watch like we're all somehow above it and better than him. It only works because it sells out everything about us that connects us to it so strongly.

Undeniably brilliant. But sad.

Agree.

I said on the podcast last Friday that I don't understand why so many people have taken this "scandal" so personally. Only one person, really, has to put up with his bullsh*t. I just want to watch him golf.

Dear Phil Mickelson:

PLEASE STOP WEARING UNDER ARMOR SHIRTS--THEY WERE NOT MADE FOR YOU.

Thanks,

The Women of America

Eric From The Dugs said:

Undergirdle, by Phil Mickelson.

abe frohman said:

Leave a comment...

abe frohman said:

I'm totally making this for lunch on Sunday:

Pimento Cheese Sandwich
Ingredients
4 oz. extra-sharp Vermont white or yellow cheddar (1½ cups)
1.5 oz pimento - drained, finely chopped (¼ cup)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Salt to taste
4 slices of good whole-wheat bread
4 thin slices Vidalia or other sweet onion (optional)
1 cup watercress sprigs - tough stems discarded (optional)

Preparation
Mash cheese pimento, mayonnaise and hot pepper sauce in small bowl with a fork until well combined. Season with salt to taste. Cover and chill 1 hour for flavors to blend. Spread pimento cheese evenly on bread. Top with onions and watercress sprigs (optional). Cut each sandwich and serve.

you lost me at "pimento."

Tiger's last shot on 11 (12? Whichever hole has the Nelson and Hogan Bridges) was AMAZING. 150 yds . . . landed about 18 inches from the pin and rolled back to about 4 feet. Damn near eagled the hole.

aaaaaaand he misses the easy putt.

OMG STOP NOBODY CARES!!!!

shhhh!

of course people care! why do you think there are 4 masters' channels on my TV?