Return of the Pigpen

Swine Flu Threat Reaches Indonesia

Monday, Carlos Zambrano came out and stunk up the joint from the get-go. Sean Marshall and James Russell stopped the bleeding, but Spellcheck and Justin Berg came on and let the game get out of reach. Wednesday, Ryan Dempster came out and gave up one run in 6 innings. Sean Marshall pitched a scoreless seventh, and John Grabow blew the game in the eighth. Notice a pattern?

They got a solid pitching performance from starter Ryan Dempster, who worked 6 innings of 3-hit, 1-run ball and came up big in the third inning with 2 strikeouts to quell an Atlanta rally.

(snip)

Veteran Grabow came on in the eighth after Sean Marshall protected the 2-1 lead by striking out two of the three batters he faced in the seventh. Grabow allowed a one-out double to Martin Prado, followed by the homer from Jones, the 427th of his career.

"He had Prado 2 strikes and no balls, and he hits the ball off the wall," Piniella began. "Then he gets behind on Chipper. He gave him a changeup up in the zone, and the guy hit it."

John Grabow, what have you to say for yourself?

"To leave your starting pitcher hanging like that, and your whole team, really, it's a tough one," Grabow said. "All these guys battled the whole game, and Demp pitched a heck of a ballgame. I kind of let everyone down. All I can do is come back tomorrow and go at it again.

"It was a changeup (to Jones). I wasn't going to give in to him with a fastball. I just tried to throw a changeup down and away, and I left it up."

I'm sure Lou is feeling frustrated, but is he ready to shake up the bullpen yet?

''We've just played two games, sir,'' manager Lou Piniella said. ''We're not in our 22nd game or our 42nd. We've played two games, for God's sake. What do you want? Roles changed in two games?

''Look, it was just a tough loss, and we'll leave it at that.''

Any other gems from Lou?

"I don't want to be more impressed than I was the first game," Lou Piniella said of Heyward. "He impressed me enough. He hit that ball pretty far, didn't he? That's a good start for him. He's a big strong kid and takes a nice swing at the ball. He doesn't cheat himself."

The first two games have provided us with little to smile about, but there is something that has the Cubs atop the Major League standings.

Five days before the Ricketts family's first home opener, a report released Wednesday showed the Cubs topped all of Major League Baseball in average ticket price at $52.56, after a 10.1-percent hike that ranked second in MLB.

It's the first time the Cubs have had the game's top ticket price in the 20 years the comparisons have been published by Team Marketing Report -- a publication based in Wilmette, where chairman Tom Ricketts lives.

Ted Lilly Fan Club said:

"Cubs Wednesday Headlines"

Mr. Peabody, can the LOHO WABAC machine take us back to 2003?

At least the pigpen jokes are back.

That's something.

kiwibob said:

What's the over/under on how many times the word "Pigoen" will appear in LOHO headlines before the season is out?

kiwibob said:

What's the over/under on how drunk I can get before I actually can spell "Pigpen"?

I don't normally douse myself in vodka until at least May.. I'm loving the season so far...

How many games are left?

I'll got with 160.

MillsChC said:

The organist at Turner Field was getting annoying playing songs that somewhat tied in with each Cubs batter after they were announced:

Soriano - The Theme to Happy Days
Theriot - Some Quiet Riot song
Dempster - Some Beatles song that I'd never heard, but a friend told me it was called Fool on the Hill
Geo - Say it ain't So by Weezer
Kosuke - That Mr. Roboto song
Aramis - REM's Everybody Hurts

Never could figure out what the songs were for DLee, Fontenot, or Byrd.

But, unlike Opening Day, this game was the type of Braves/Cubs games I was used to.... Zero people in my section was paying attention at all to the game until Grabow whipped out his Howry/Heilman/Cotts/Ohman/Novoa impression for Chipper.

plamorte said:

To borrow a line from SNL and WWE's The Miz: "Reallllly bullpen, really?"

thisyearcub said:

I mean, REALLY!

AndCounting said:

"I kind of let everyone down. All I can do is come back tomorrow and go at it again." Uh, John, maybe you can try not doing that again, mkay?

Eric From The Dugs said:

Um... I think he knew exactly what he was saying when he said it.

thisyearcub said:

Lou's postgame quotes to reporters make me smile. I can only hope it was Biased Sullivan asking the question. As much as the Big Bias cares about Milton Bradley still, I found it intriguing that he didn't tweet about his game last night.

Oh, also in other former Cub news, Rich Harden did his normal Rich Harden: Strike out a bunch of people, walk a bunch of people, throw too many pitches in a short amount of innings, take the loss. Was def. the right move to let him walk.

And Ronny Cedeno had the walk-off GW RBI last night against the Dodgers.

Finally, I think it's time to retire that drink pic. Ain't working. Plus, Kool-Aid comes in a pitcher. OH YEAHHHH

Dmband said:

"What do you want? Roles changed in two games?"- Lou

No Lou. What I want is roles DEFINED by the time season starts. You know, like who is our 8th inning pitcher, and why replace one awesome lefty who's is far and away our best bp pitcher with another lefty.

Why take him out at all? There's a W on the line.....

plamorte said:

I would never be able to concentrate on the game if I had these seats http://twitpic.com/1e2h6a

Awesome.

They look like hairless hamsters.

plamorte said:

haha i know, the ones on the right almost rat-like, but they were piglets!

Teebob2000 said:

Shit. Just... shit.

Soto's 2008 was it for him, right? Done?

Eric From The Dugs said:

Set up man, John Grabow sounds a lot like Prince Fielder, welterweight.

You know what? maybe this is a good thing. Usually I get all excited about the season, and even though I might tell people that I just hope the Cubs have a winning season secretly I think maybe they'll make it to the post season and win for once

and then they give me hope just to crush it completely later in the season, and the longer it takes the more it sucks, and truth be told (we're in the trust tree right?) I figured that with my fall school deadlines this year they'd do something in October and I'd have to miss my chance to watch in Chicago

so maybe this suckiness will continue and there will be no hope that something awesome will happen and thus no hope crushing

see its a good thing

Teebob2000 said:

Yeah, there is that...

you know what I say, always look on the bright side of life, I learned that from Monty Python

Teebob2000 said:

Ah, yes, my favorite verse 2:

"Life's a piece of shit, when you look at it..."

AndCounting said:

Julie's been awfully quiet. Somewhere a liquor store must be getting robbed.

plamorte said:

or she's out getting her other nostril pierced in rebellion to the pigpen situation

Three things about my morning:

1) I finalized the first divorce my new firm has done from beginning to end this morning. Yay me.

2) I was driving behind a garbage truck this morning, and every 30 seconds or so, all this smoke would come out the top of it and this fine sand would hit my windshield. What's that all about?

3) I didn't relaize "I Am Legend" was a novella/really long short story. Also, I didn't realize the paperback I had included 5 other short stories (it didn't say anything about them on the front). So here I am, thinking I have, like, 100 pages left to go, when all of sudden it just ends.

I rarely, and I mean RARELY say this, but I liked the movie better. It was creepier.

D) Why are all these Masters channels NOT showing the Masters?

E) Why is Tiger texting in public? If I were his manager, I would have taken that thing away from him.

AndCounting said:

I know two people personally who have gotten into texting trouble. Every time I see either one look down at their phones, I want to pummel them with a pitching wedge.

You should tell them that the first thing I do in divorce cases is subpeona text messages.

I heard he was videotaping the other golfer and helping him out by pointing things out on the video, but yeah, fucking dumb, Tiger.

Keep it in your pants, buddy.

Dmband said:

This is an impressive AD. I hate to sound naive but man...its impressive

Teebob2000 said:

I guess the idea of using your dead father to sell shoes or the "new" Tiger (or anything, really) isn't my cup-o-tea.

thanks for posting that--i've been hearing about it on the radio all morning.

not sure what to think about it. there was really no way around acknowledging the situation, i guess, though the disembodied voice of his father is a little creepy.

Just an FYI for tonight. . CN is going down for a scheduled upgrade at 6:00 or 7:00 for about an hour. In order to accomodate the game, we'll do a live game (and possibly video) chat.

plamorte said:

CN really needs more than an hour worth of upgrades...

Hey, that was really great of them to time it for game time on the network's most popular blog. CN is always so on top of things.

I really love the quality of our commenters here. Julie, you've brought in some good talent.

plamorte said:

We truly our the boner to CN's sweatpants.

plamorte said:

horrible grammar error. *ARE

Dmband said:

We truly our the boner to CN's sweatpants.

Fucking hilarious. Seriously...I just laughed out loud with a customer at my desk. Probably should've minimized the blog..oh well..