Ozzie Tweets Off: This is Probably Why Kenny Was Worried

Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen sits in the dugout against the Boston Red Sox in Chicago

Oh Ozzie, I knew it was only a matter of time.

After so many delightfullly non-sensical tweets, you had to go and get all political on us.

The same man who gave us such tweets gems as "Big reazon to love my boat no trafic in the ocean" and the infamous "My son oney doing sport elec to have abs if tha help y will doe to," today we got this:

"Oh my god seam penn defended ours president hugo chavez thas easy when you no leave in venezuela and have money lol is a joke shame on y ... "

and this:

"Oh god you are very crazy go and move to our country you will change you mind"

and this:

"Que payaso el gringuito que vive bien chevre en estados unidos." (which roughly translates to "That clown chevre gringo that lives well in the united states.") We all know what "gringuito:" means. Glad to see the sensitivity traning paid off, Ozzie.

So what got Ozzie's undies all in a bunch? Turns out it was this comment from actor Sean Penn last Friday on Bill Maher's show:

"Every day this elected leader is called a dictator here, and we just accept it and accept it," Penn said. "And this is mainstream media, who should -- truly there should be a bar by which they -- one goes to prison for these kinds of lies."

In all honesty, that was a pretty stupid thing for Sean to say. I mean really, does anyone really believe that Venezuela holds free and fair elections?

I mean anyone other than Sean Penn.

However, I was amused by Ozzie's indignation, given that this was the man who took a phone call from Hugo Chavez on the way to the White Sox World Series win in 2005.

Don't remember? Allow me to refresh your memory:

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez congratulated White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen for leading his team to the playoffs.

Chavez spoke to Guillen, who's from Venezuela, by phone Sunday during his weekly program on state-run television and radio, "Hello President."

"Congratulations, Oswaldo. All of us here in Venezuela are so proud of you," Chavez said in their live conversation, broadcast nationwide in the South American country.

Guillen, the first Venezuelan manager in the majors, said his spirits were raised when his team won AL Central.

"Now I want to win more than ever," said Guillen, whose team hosts the Boston Red Sox in the opener of the first-round series Tuesday in Chicago.

So. . . Ozzie wanted to win more for . . . the guy he's mad at Sean Penn for defending? No offense, Ozzie, but that article doesn't exactly make you sound like a critic.

"But wait!" you say. Ozzie still has family in Venezuela. He doesn't want to make trouble for them. He is just trying to protect his loved ones!

Uh. . .  not exactly. Check out this interview with Ozzie from April of 2009:

2. What do you think of Chavez as President of your country?

I think he's not a good President. I think he needs people around him to help him. We grew up with different philosophies, with different ways of looking at stuff, and right now, I think he's not doing the best for the country."

Hear, hear, Ozzie. I couldn't agree more. Perhaps you could have told Chavez that in person, back when you spoke on the phone with him in 2005.

"Even so," you say, "It's bad form to turn down congratulations from the President It's just not done!"

Oh really? Sun-Times columnist Mike Sneed begs to differ:

Hmmm. White Sox skipper Ozzie Guillen is blowing off an invite to the White House on Monday, where his World Series-winning team will be honored by President Bush.

Hmmm. Is this an anti-Bush statement? Is this a snub by native Venezuelan and newly minted U.S. citizen Guillen, who is treated like a king in his home country by President Hugo Chavez, who detests Bush? (The feeling is mutual, by the way.)

*The Sox reply: "No. It's a vacation," said White Sox spokeswoman Katie Kirby.
-snip-

Look, I'm not going to defend Sean Penn's statement, and I'm certainly not going to defend Hugo Chavez. And no, I have no idea what it's like to live under a dictatorship.

But I can't help but wonder if there were Venezuelans in this country who were equally outraged by Ozzie wanting to win "even more" after his phone call with Hugo Chavez. Or, more to the point, Venezuelans who were living IN VENEZUELA under the Chavez regime. Especially as he greeted the infamous dictator by calling him "Mr. President."

Am I putting the burden of bringing down Hugo Chavez off on Ozzie Guillen? Of course not. But perhaps a bit less hypocrisy from the South Side, particularly since Sean Penn has (an an individual) done more for the victims of Katrina and Haiti than just about anyone else in America (foundations, including Brad Pitt's, excluded), including Ozzie:

Don't believe me?

Penn arrived in the poor Caribbean nation Thursday accompanied by 11 doctors and a U.S. businesswoman with whom he has established a private Haitian relief organization.

The star of "Mystic River," "Dead Man Walking" and "Carlito's Way" chatted with paratroopers from the U.S. 82nd Airborne Division and searched for areas to bring aid in and around the capital, Port-au-Prince.

"It is a devastated area," said Penn, dressed in torn jeans, cowboy boots and a dark blue T-shirt. "I've seen the same thing your cameras have seen: People are suffering and a lot of people are doing their best -- the U.S. military and human aid groups -- to help them."

Penn brought 1,000 water filters that were distributed to villages outside Port-au-Prince. He spent part of Friday meeting with aid groups and hospitals.

Oh, there was also this:

Sean Penn is looking after an injured woman and child he rescued from the rubble in Haiti on Thursday, according to a report. The Milk actor jetted out to Haiti's capital Port-au-Prince to join the relief effort earlier this month in his second trip to the nation since it was devastated by a massive earthquake in January.

And Penn has been doing hands-on work in his goodwill mission - he reportedly saved a badly hurt woman and a child who were stuck in the rubble of a building which is believed to have collapsed in an aftershock.

With the help of his daughter Dylan, Penn is said to have driven the victims in his truck to the University of Miami field hospital, before taking them back to his camp to look after them.

Penn has promised to take care of them until they find a safe place to go, reports TMZ.com.

And, lest we forget Katrina. . . this:

The Hollywood actor desperately tried to help those stranded by the devastating floods by launching a boat down the water-logged streets of New Orleans.

But, according to Australia's Melbourne Herald Sun, he was forced to bail out with a red plastic cup when the vessel started filling with water.

The 'Mystic River' star encountered further problems when the motor didn't start, forcing him and his crew to paddle by hand.

However, despite the technical hitches, Penn managed to bring several people to dry land.

He said: "I'm doing whatever I can do to help. There's a lot of people out there. There's bodies everywhere. We could only do so many houses."

After rescuing the victims, the Oscar-winning actor gave them money and even took some of them to hospital.

Thankful Johnnie Brown, 73, who was picked up by Penn, told his sister over the phone: "Guess who come and got me out of the house? Sean Penn, the actor. The boys were really nice."

(Cue the hordes of conservatives screaming bloody murder about Sean Penn being a political opportunist. That's not the point.)

Ozzie, we all know that you're crazy.  But calling someone else a "gringo clown" because they dared express a favorable politcal opinion of someone you once chatted amicably with on the phone is a little much. Kind of like me calling you a "crazy son of a bitch" based on all the things you say.

But I'm really glad you have a twitter account.

--MGb said:

"But I'm really glad you have a twitter account."

I always enjoy it when the condemned weave the rope they'll be hanged in. I just won't watch this particular car wreck happening...

Who. . me?

itsjenjen said:

I took his "now I want to win more than ever" as being related to the immediately preceding statement,"his spirits were raised when his team won the AL Central" not the Chavez phone call. As for his rant, most of the comments I saw related to it agreed with him. I don't see this as being potentially embarrassing for the Sox.

I think him calling people "gringos" in going to be a problem. Or am I wrong that it's a derogatory term?

what about when it's used in the same sentence with "clown" and "french cheese-eating?"

LOL

secdelahc said:

Hey guys-

I'm going to be employed this summer!!! I just got offered an internship with a global company! Wow. This school thing has already started to pay off. Now, I just have to get adjusted to the idea of the Phoenix heat for the summer...

Woo! Congrats!

secdelahc said:

Thanks, Julie!

Dmband said:

Great post...

LOL--I can't wait to see how many people 'unfollow' me (on Twitter) after this one. And I was so close to 1,000!

itsjenjen said:

Nah...Ozzie stirs up strong feelings in a lot of people. :)

Dmband said:

Its only a matter of time until LOHO is dismissed as a leftist pinko commie rag...

oh, that happened a long time ago. especially since Perkins isn't here to balance me out. because he's in Haiti. where Ozzie, once again, is not.

Dmband said:

And I dont know if gringo can be construed as a derog. term...it always meant "white boy" to me in my head. Of course Im not basing that on any actual translation. However, sometimes slang, in latin, can be a term of endearment...I had a close friend from Mexico who called me "whey" for years...which was his way of saying "bro" but it doesnt mean anything close to that.

considering he also called Sean Penn "a clown," i'm going with derogatory. LOL!

Dmband said:

I didnt mean "In latin" I meant spanish...dammit!

Teebob2000 said:

Something else Penn mentioned on Maher's show is that he got a huge quantity of free medicine of every type from both Chavez and Castro before going to Haiti post-quake, when he couldn't get meds from any other source in a timely enough manner.

Yes, there have been relatively clean elections in Venezuela under Chavez, but everything else surrounding them is the problem, like changing the constitution so he can keep running for president, jailing or otherwise harassing potential candidates who would run against him, controlling the state media to quash any dissension, that kind of stuff.

One of the things that really ticks me off with regard to Venezuela is that my understanding is that we could make much cleaner ethanol from sugarcane then we do from corn, but the US won't use sugarcane, in part, because we'd get a large portion of that from Venezuela.

But by all means, let's continue to support Hamid Karzia and deal even futher with China, and continue our relations with Saudi Arabia, possibly the worst dictatorship in the world after North Korea.

BAH.

Teebob2000 said:

It's not JUST politics. After all, Citgo is a Venezuelan state-run oil company. The Citgo heating oil program in the northeast helps thousands of lower-income homes keep their heat going in the winter.

The main issue is that the oil companies have virtually nothing to gain in promoting ethanol over their products. There's a reason they call it "black gold."

MillsChC said:

0% - Percentage amount of how much I care what comes out of Sean Penn's mouth other than when he's reciting lines from a script.

0% - Percentage amount of how much I care about anything to do with Chavez, Venezuela, President-snubbing, etc.

100% - Percentage amount of how much I get a kick out of Ozzie's tweets, even though I've yet to figure out if they're so bizarre because of his less than 100% grasp of English, or if it's because he has sausage fingers when typing on his cell phone.

I agree. They're fantastic.

MillsChC said:

By the way... so the draft for the Beer-Pong league is just luck of the draw?

isn't there a live draft?

there usually is. . .

MillsChC said:

I don't see where it tells me what day & time it would be.. it just says it's an auto-pick draft

baturkey said:

In the Draft Central menu there's a Pre-Draft Rankings option where you can adjust how highly you want players to be drafted.

still waiting for julierubes, ca_rodriguez, and lsnow2684 to sing up for Cool Kids fantasy baseball!

ricos said:

yeah interesting blog but I don't put too much into it. I can see if I was a manager of a team and I got a call from former Pres. Bush for example, no matter what I thought of the man I would still be respectful and probably still have that "holy cow,it's the President" feeling. I can see just rolling with it when it's the spur of the moment like a call, but declining a planned visit. I don't think "gringo" is all that bad, he obviously doesn't like the guy but that to me seems pretty tame.

oh, i don't think the white sox are going to care one bit. when you've been around here more, you'll realize that i pretty much blog anything that pops into my head. today, this was it. LOL

Still time to get in on the May 18 rooftop game (7:00 pm)! If you want to attend, send me an email: leagueofherown (at) gmail (dot) com

We already have something like 35 people!

ricos said:

oh no worries I liked it and thought it was entertaining, I rarely make sense anyways

BTW Ocho Cinco is going off on ESPN reporters ATM like John Clayton

"ESPN WHO- John Clayton how dare you, your face is wearing thin on TV, looking like that character from HANINBAL that had those pigs, STFU"

and Erik Kuselius

"ESPN WHO- Erik Kusiallas I heard about your radio show negativity, why don't you worry about your sexual harrassment cases when at work!"

*shakes head* these crazy kids and their tweets

I unfollowed Ochocinco the other day because I couldn't take it anymore. He's going off the deep end.

Emil said:

Peen is a idiot!!!, totally agree!. Ozzy is my hero!!!