Thursday Cubs Headlines: 13 More Days, but We Could Have Arbitration Fun

Chicago Cubs shortstop Ryan Theriot drops the ball against the Houston Astros

Ryan Theriot and the Cubs have yet to reach agreement to avoid arbitration. This could end up being the Cubs' first arbitration case since 1993 (Mark Grace in the Larry Himes era). Bruce Miles imagines what it would be like to be a fly on the wall inside the arbitration hearing.

"From 2008 to 2009, Mr. Theriot's offensive line went from .307/.387/.359 to .284/.343/.369. His wOBA (yeah we know what that is, too), went from .338 to .318. More alarmingly, his flyball percentage jumped from 20.2 percent to 30 percent, and we don't pay Mr. Theriot to hit flyballs, no matter what our manager (and we love him, too) thinks. On top of it, Mr. Theriot's walks total dropped from 73 to 51 while his strikeouts spiked from 58 to 93. Or, put another way, Mr. Theriot's BB/K ratio went from 1.26 to 0.55 in a year's time. We rest our case."

And Theriot's side:

"Thank you. You know, I really put it all out there last year, playing in a career-high 154 games, even when that beloved manager said he'd give me a rest now and then. Those 154 games led the team, as did my 602 at-bats. Can you say 'gamer?" I believe many have.

"On top of that, I set career highs in triples with 5, home runs with 7 and RBI with 54. Hey, I was only doing what Skip wanted me to do when to told me to 'drive' the ball. Isn't that the epitome of a team player?

"I hear a lot of talk about my defense and range being lacking. You forgot something, there, across the table, when you cited all your fancy stats. How about my UZR going from 0.4 to 7.7 and my UZR/150 going from 0.7 to 8.3 in a year's time? I saw all those glances in the dugout whenever Andres Blanco made a nice play, and I've heard all that talk about that Castro kid taking my job this year and pushing me to second base. But right now, I'm the best you got. We rest our case."

I don't know who the arbitrators are, but were I one, I'd probably agree with the side bearing cold,  hard facts.

In other thrilling news, Fox, the Cubs and the White Sox have teamed together to bring us a Midsummer Night's Dream.

Fox will air two of its national Saturday major-league baseball broadcasts in prime time this season, and one will be the Cubs-White Sox game at 6:10 p.m. June 26 at U.S. Cellular Field.

It's the first time in the network's 15 years of televising the package that it will show two regular-season night games. They will be the first such prime-time games since 2004.

The May 22 prime-time broadcast will feature another Cubs' road game, against the Rangers at 6:10 p.m., as well as Yankees vs. Mets, Red Sox vs. Phillies and Tigers vs. Dodgers. The June 26 choices, in addition to Cubs-White Sox, are Yankees vs. Dodgers and Red Sox vs. Giants.

Last, but not least, Cubs.com's Carrie Muskat brings us a piece about Korean prospects.

When Korean shortstop Hak-Ju Lee reports to the Cubs' Minor League camp this spring, he should have a better grasp of the English language, thanks to The Carpenters.

A 19-year-old infielder from Jeonju, South Korea, Lee turned to karaoke last year to complement his language lessons. His singing talents were showcased at a Class A Boise booster club event at the end of the 2009 season, and his rendition of "Superstar" can be seen in a YouTube video.

"They're here by themselves," said interpreter Min Sung of the Koreans in the Cubs' system. "They don't shop much. They go to dinner and sing karaoke. In the Midwest, the entertainment is going to Wal-Mart and Target."

"As long as they're learning English, I don't care what they do," Cubs player development director Oneri Fleita said.

And said video:

plamorte said:

Eh, I think broken English makes for better post-game interviews and has entertainment value. (See Sosa, Sammy.) Really the quote should be "As long as they're hitting the damn ball and fielding well, I don't care what they're speaking"

A very happy birthday to canopygirl (aka Mary), who is currently off in the desert of Iraq serving her country and generally being a better person than any of us.

Happy Birthday, Mary!

baturkey said:

Happy birthday!

I want someone from the Cubs to bring up TOOTBLANs as a stat. That would make my entire season.

(TOOTBLAN: Thrown Out On The Basepaths Like a Nincompoop. A stat created and promoted by our friend Wrigleyville23 over at http://www/wrigleyville23.com)

I'm having tons of fun looking up my name on urbandictionary.com

Julie:

1) Sweet and downy haired girl, changable, and often misunderstood and complex. A fearful creature as well as highly loyal. She will rule your affection and once you have hers it will be forever.

2) a girl who talks too much but also very hottt!

3) A popular French name meaning youthful, soft-haired and vivacious.

4) A woman who is hated by woman due to her care free ways and ability to have men swoon at her very sight.

plamorte said:

Pat
-The rare occurrence of ejaculating in your underwear after a female touches your penis for a short amount of time. This is primarily caused by not masturbating before going on a date with an incredibly hot girl

WAIT that can't be right...

Here we go:

Patrick
-All around perfect man and a sexy beast. Known to cause even the most loyal of girls to turn on their boyfriends. Talented with music, words, and kills in any sport he plays. Strong like bull. Always competitive, and ALWAYS wins what he competes in. Some consider to be on the status of not only a god, but THE God.

I'd go with the second one.

plamorte said:

I am. Now please refer to me as "Sexy Beast" from here on out.

AndCounting said:

I really like mine. Adam:

1) The first Man to ever get laid.
Adam and Eve had wild sex all night long.

2) a goofy,funny,crazii,outgoing,loving person!
a guy with this name is amazing. he is adorable and very caring person. he will always be there for you. he might have the nicknamegoober. he can make you laugh no matter what,even if ur having the worst day ever. some people may call him weird or strange, but if he wasnt all of those things then he wouldn't be goober. he is a remarkable person,trustworthy, and an awesome friend.
you are being so adam/goober!

3) An adorable boy, who is great in many ways. see perfect boy
Adam-*says the most perfect things ever,*
Tracy-*melts.*

Something about being adored by girls who type everything as though they're texting . . . well, it kind of makes me puke a little. But it could be worse.

plamorte said:

If anyone else wants to jump in and save today's comments from being the "Sexy Beast and Very Hottt & Youthful Julie Show", go right ahead.

You forgot about the part where I talk too much, which was probably already evident to everyone here.

I wasn't going to say anything...

this season seriously needs to hurry up and start.

I mean, the season is going to suck. But at least something will be happening.

baturkey said:

Don't worry, soon balls will be fisted to guys shagging in the outfield.

AndCounting said:

I'm sure more than a few saves will get blown, too.

plamorte said:

Don't forget than balls Soriano is sure to drop and maybe we'll even see Geo get hit hard behind the plate on a close play.

plamorte said:

*THE* balls... I hate grammar errors.

Al says Marmol signs and avoids arbitration. I really do want them to go to arb with Theriot, though.

I do, too. I don't know why I feel this constant need to see him smacked down, but I do.

Because he is obnoxious, and goes out of his way to be very public about his obnoxiousness.

Afternoon fun coming at noon!

Then is really would be noon fun...since it would be at noon and not after it.