Monday Cubs Headlines: Nothing of Which to Speak

Eva Gabor
Join me for coffee, won't you?

With the 2010 roster almost completely full, you would expect to find that there's not much going on in the realm of Cubs news. And you wouldn't be surprised. That's why I'm leading off today with news that Julie noted in the comments of yesterday's thread. Reed Johnson and his facial hair will be running into walls in Los Angeles this season.

The Los Angeles Times reports The Dodgers are close to signing Reed Johnson to a one-year deal to be their fourth outfielder, according to baseball sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deal hadn't been completed.
In news of other former Cubs, Kevin Gregg Van Houten looks to be headed back to the Sunshine State.

FoxSports's Ken Rosenthal also tweeted that the Marlins have made an offer to ex-Cub Kevin Gregg too. Gregg spent two seasons as the Marlins closer, but would be returning in a setup capacity, according to Rosenthal.
And, because there's nothing else to report, our final story for today will be an mlb.com piece on position players recovering from their second Tommy John surgeries.  Since Xavier Nady didn't comment for the story, we'll just have to take Vance Wilson's word.

"I know what he's been through," Wilson said of Nady. "When I had my second, I remember asking the doctor what my odds of coming back were. He thought it was about 20-25 percent. You get real down on it.

"That's why most people retire after the second one. Mentally, it's a grueling rehab. I don't want to question any other guys' toughness, but it takes something to come back from this twice. You have to have family support behind you. I give 100-percent support to my wife [Bridget], who said, 'You're going to come back, and you're going to do something great."

I wonder if his wife [Bridget] is a clairvoyant? Anything more you can tell us about Xavier, Vance?

"Nady has some things going for him," Wilson said. "When I had my [surgeries], I blew out the ligament and had a torn flexor tendon, too, both times. He's also in a different situation than I am because he's an outfielder, and once he's able to make long throws, you're pretty much good. As a catcher, I have to make as many throws as the pitchers during a game, just not as intensive. So there's a lot more throwing.

"If he had his second one last July, the biggest thing he's probably going through right now is recovery. He'll have days where it aches, and really, until you get to 12 months, or even 18 months, every day is a battle to recover."

If someone would come here and kill me to put me out of my sinusitis-induced misery, I would pay your transportation and give you the $20 in my pocket.

AndCounting said:

Ocean nasal spray saves lives.

Not only is it my favorite accidentally discovered five-words-of-five-letters sentence, it's also true. It really works better than other saline sprays, but it also complements whatever other treatment you're getting. Inhaling steam works, too, but I highly recommend Ocean, as does a former co-worker of mind whose sinuses bothered her for most of her adult life until she discovered Ocean at the age of 50 . . . wait, I'm rambling and not getting paid for it.

No, you will be paid, please continue

AndCounting said:

I've given you all the useful info. I'll just add this: don't buy generic saline nasal spray. Something about Ocean--design of the bottle, I don't know--makes it more effective. Every 3 or 4 hours or so . . . it just helps. It won't cure you, but it helps.

Oh, also, those SudaCare Shower Soother tablets. They work real well to start or end the day. But turn off your exhaust fan if you can. You don't want to lose those magical vapors.

And tea with honey. Any hot liquid is good, but tea with honey (and I hate tea) is pretty soothing, too.

I want drugs that will make this shit go away. I've had it for almost 2 months, but the last week or so has been the worst. I no longer smell things, my face is in pain, I'm totally fatigued, and my teeth hurt. In addition to the streams of yellow mucus everywhere.

couple of thing, 1) have you seen a doctor? because you might need antibiotics 2)try a humidifier at night, they are magical machines, seriously nobody believes it but its true

they gave me antibiotics, i took them as directed till they were gone, felt 98% better, then 3 days later woke up with the same (and worse) symptoms.

blah, I've been there and it sucks, personally I try to stay away from lots of intense allergy and cold meds now because they make things better for a short time and worse in the long run, and steam is good

AndCounting said:

That's the crappy thing about antibiotics. If you have a viral infection, all they do is protect you from other bacterial infections in your weakened state--and whatever unpleasant side effects decide to work their way out of your bowels.

Some people would advise returning to your doctor, but I prefer to stick with things that alleviate the symptoms until my body defeats the infection on its own.

Thanks guys, appreciate it all. I'm at wits end.

on a related note if this is something that happens every year you might want to see an ENT or Allergist

agree. go see an ENT. i had a sinus infection for months in college, and it took an ENT pysically draining my sinuses (sorry, TMI) to get rid of it.

Edelweiss said:

Here is the Austrian remedy, and it does not involve drugs. Boil some long skinny knackwurst (you can get them at Paulina Market). Dip them in sharp mustard. Then dip them liberally in grated fresh horseradish. You can use any hot dog, but the long ones have more dips, and thus, more horseradish. Be sure to have plenty of Kleenex because this will clean out your sinuses. For pain, let me recommend a strong clear schnapps, such as obstler. Gesundheit!!!

I think I am in love with you ;)

Edelweiss said:

Happy to see it worked. Actually, just grating the horseradish would almost do the trick. I cry even when I wear my competition ski mask. (Probably because it is vented. Besides knowing some inside Cubs stuff, I have many cures from the Old Country.

Just put some Vick's under your nose and stop whining.

Last night I was pretty sure an alien was going to bust out of my cheek and that my teeth were going to push themselves out of their sockets. Vicks can help with that?

I didn't think so.

AndCounting said:

I've known people who would eat Vicks. Vicks VapoRub was their answer to Windex in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Have you tried a neti pot? I've never gone that far, but the entire experience seems enchanting.

My doctor suggested I try it but it looks so nasty and I hate that feeling of fluid going through my nose. But I guess it would suck worse than being sick.

cubby23(eric) said:

Only if another doctor visit is out, or cost prohibitive.

I would suggest getting some either over-the-counter or behind-the-counter (i.e. an antihistamine with a little psuedoephedrine) medicine.

I've found that Zyrtec-D is useful for indoor & outdoor allergies. It's an aspirin-sized pill in a really bad packaging, but it's effective.

If you have forced air heating, I would agree with whomever suggested a humidifier or some kind of air purifier.

Steam is always good for me, try buying one of those personal Vicks steamers where you get the liquid Vicks and you plug it in, pour some of the liquid in the steamer, and sit back and inhale. That helps sometimes.

FrankS said:

I guess Carl has moved to a new time zone as he has posted the Sunday headlines on Monday. ;-)

So I have to go into the doctor to figure out why my shoulder is STILL bugging me 6 months after I injured it. I don't know what we're going to do if we have to start the season with both Lilly AND me on the DL.

oh, tough it out. i'm fucking dying over here, i don't want to hear it.

Edelweiss said:

I may have forgotten to mention this, but you should EAT the sausages, dipping them after each bite. You may wish to do this alone, as the sight of all that green snot leaving your sinuses will nauseate anyone sitting across from you.

Teebob2000 said:

I'd say try blogging on flat ground for a few weeks, then move back to the mound.

But then, I'm not a doctor.

I think I'm supposed to blog with a towel for a while. Where should I put the towel? Over my shoulder? Or over the computer?

Teebob2000 said:

That's getting a little personal, ma'am.

plamorte said:

Welp. Everyone is in some kind of pain it seems. For me, my boss was fired Friday. Not a good thing, I liked her. But it means I take on more projects and I'm about to be overworked like a rookie pitcher managed by Dusty Baker.

you might want to schedule your labrum surgery now.

speaking of labrums, if it turns out i've torn mine, i'm going to give this doctor a 3rd degree like he's never had before. i want to know why Mark Prior still can't pitch.

Ooh really? In that case I really hope you have a torn labrum. I want answers.

secdelahc said:

On the bright side, at least you have a job. I'm busting my ass here to get an internship over the summer, and apparently they want things like "qualifications" and "experience." What a load of crap!

Teebob2000 said:

Re the picture alt-text: what's an "unfinished bedroom" exactly, and why was Eva Gabor in a Jamaican one in a pink nightie in 1950?

I don't know, but its true that the alt text on those images are always super bizarre.

AndCounting said:

Aaron Miles is a Red. Yeah, I think that means the Cubs just got better.

that is the best news we have heard all offseason.

LostinFla said:

Actually, it will make it just that much worse when Miles, gimpy but gutty, comes off the bench to deliver the game-winning hit in game 7 of the WS, and Dusty Baker is carried off the field in triumph...

Teebob2000 said:

I predict he will homer in every game in which he has an AB in Wrigley this year.

Twenty minutes until the weekly mess that IS Julie & Alex's Excellent Sports Adventure. God knows what we're going to talk about this week, so someone call in!

Call in #917-889-9169

I guess it makes me feel slightly better about Hendry that Jocketty is taking a flier on Miles, too.

But not much.

Cubs Psychologist said:

Just saw on MLBTR that we are going to sign Kevin Millar?? WTF!!

Are you really the Cubs' psychologist? If so, I have some major issues with you.

cubby23(eric) said:

As long as their true identity isn't Mack Newton, no worries...

thisyearcub said:

Howdy folks!

Rumor is true. Cubs ink Millar to minor-league deal. Everyone who thinks chemistry matters should be overjoyed. If you like tangible things like hitting the ball though, this is a curious acquisition.

In fact, that's a good way to describe this offseason: Curious.

It's a minor league deal...

He is going to have to compete with Tracy, Hoffpauir, and Fuld for that final roster spot.

so when Iowa has tremendous chemistry all the chemistry naysayers will be proven wrong

my Monday complaint of the day

Bill Simmons needs to stop naming the Cubs in any ranking of the most pathetic/cursed/damned/whatever teams, its annoying, he doesn't get it, and it only leads to me having to be informed of such ranking by so called friends in a weird flaunting pitying combo

please Bill, just stop, or friendships will be ruined

I'd be all for Bill Simmons stopping writing period.

cubby23(eric) said:

Who is Bill Simmons?

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Annoying funny guy type over at ESPN Page 2

cubby23(eric) said:

Thanks, the name sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. I very rarely venture into the deep pages of ESPN, and I avoid that network as much as I can lest I become a jaded East Coast Fan.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Oops. That was meant as a reply to the Who is Bill Simmons question.