Chicago Cubs Tuesday Headlines: So Much for Spring

weather.jpg

As you wil note, the area pictured above illustrates the area in Chicago that is expected to get 12 inches of snow. The counties outlined in pink are under a blizzard warning. So remember yesterday when we were all like "Yeah! Time for Spring Training!"?

Today, not so much.

But hey, only 10 more days until single-game tickets go on sale:

Although SI.com recently listed the Cubs as one of the eight major-league teams that underachieved in their winter efforts to get better, don't tell that to the hordes of fans that will line up outside Wrigley Field on Friday, Feb. 19, to purchase individual-game tickets.

Tickets will go on sale at 8 a.m. at the Wrigley Field box office and a random wristband system will be used.  Wristbands will be available at Wrigley Field from 11 a.m.-10 p.m. on Feb. 17 and from 7 a.m.-10 p.m. on Feb. 18.

As of right now, we're looking at June 18 or 19 for the LOHO get-together, so if you have an opinion, speak up!

In other news, Steve Rosenbloom had as many problems coming up with a blog entry as I did coming up with Cubs headlines, so he's resorted to calling our beloved manager names:

The "Lou'' in Lou Piniella apparently remains short for lunatic. Certainly, the guy remains out of touch with real life.

He told the New York Times he believes that Cubs fans will take it easy on Mark McGwire, the steroid-abuser and seemingly pathological liar who is the Cardinals' new hitting coach.

I mean, get a load of this from Sweet Loon: "I think Cub fans will treat him fine. We have a great rivalry. He'll be accepted well. I think they feel he confessed and it's over with."

Omigawd, that's all so insane and inane. Cubs fans hate the Cardinals, McGwire sounded like he did more lying than confessing, and anyone with functioning neurotransmitters knows that Wrigley Field looks like the Hallmark channel but sounds like a Scorsese movie. Connect the dots, Loon.

Truth is, any Cubs fan who in fact takes it easy on McGwire isn't a real Cubs fan. I mean, a liar and cheater from the team's greatest rival, and Cubs fans are going to make nice?

Okay, well Cubs fans AREN'T going to treat him fine, but what's Lou supposed to do, give the Cards bulletin board material for every time they play the Cubs? Point out that Cubs fans can be a little. . .  harsh. . .  on people at times? Say that McGwire is a piece of sh*t? That's Ozzie's dog and pony show, not Lou's.

Over at the Sun-Times, they're thinking Spring, despite the 14 inches of snow in the process of falling. They've given us a list of what the Cubs are taking in their overnight bag to Mesa:

• 20 dozen baseballs (600 dozen shipped to Mesa)

• 60 dozen bats

• 2 dozen fungo bats

• 24 bat doughnuts and 24 power wraps (the white sleeves)

• 50 rosin bags

• 5 hitting tees

• 10 catcher's masks

• 10 chest protectors

• 10 pairs of shin guards

• 16 dozen pairs of batting gloves

• 120 helmets

• 425 batting practice hats

• 425 game hats

• 295 jerseys (40 blues, 40 grays, 130 whites, 85 spring/bp)

• 600 baseball pants (300 white and 300 gray)

• 200 belts

• 800 pairs of socks

• 0 pairs of shoes (players bring their own or are shipped to Mesa)

• 450 athletic supporters

• 1 waffle maker

• 1 microwave

ALREADY THERE

• All workout/weight room equipment

• ball buckets

• golf carts

450 athletic supporters. One wafflemaker. I think that pretty much says it all.

That's all I've got for today.

plamorte said:

On the fourth day of Spring Training,
my true baseball love sent to me
Four dozen jockstraps,
Three pine tar sticks,
Two stopwatches,
And a Black & Decker wafffflllllee maaaakkkkkeeerrrrr!

AndCounting said:

That song was playing through my head as I read that list, too. The lyrics in the Sun-Times definitely needed some work. Sitting through 12 rounds of that crap is painful enough.

And it's so comforting to know the ball buckets are ready and waiting.

AndCounting said:

I don't want to spark another Cubs blog-media royal rumble, but Rosenbloom is the I-word. What opportunity are Cubs fans going to have to boo the Cardinals hitting coach. Will they boo and throw beer bottles every time they show his face on the jumbotron? And I personally think a certain segment (larger than Rosy expects) of Cub fans would, if given the chance, cheer McGwire to show that our disdain for the Cardinals pales in comparison to our disgust with how the media has covered the steroid issue (and just about every other aspect of sports in this town).

And this weather has done nothing to temper my spring training enthusiasm. It just reminds me why the Cubs didn't move their facilities to Madison.

And . . . 450 jocks but only 36 cups? Holy Mark Grace slumpbusters, steroids treats the jewels like royalty compared to what a bad hop after a low line drive can do. What, do they share or something? Ick.

secdelahc said:

I vote for June 19th. It's a Saturday, so I'll be able to fly in from wherever I'm working for the game. I doubt my potential internship would let me have a Friday off to go see the Cubs, sadly.

I'm for the 19th too. Seems like the best day of for me.

ricos said:

Yeah Lou's not going to say anything controversial and he's friends with LaRussa anyways. I hate Rosenbloom and any self respecting middle-aged man should ever use the phrase "omigawd"...EVER.

ricos said:

sorry s/b "no self respecting"

jmkobus said:

Thanks Julie, I am now craving Waffles...

Maim said:

I gave myself a snow day today. Would have taken me longer to get to and from work today than it would have taken me to do what little work I had to do.

But more importantly, what should I DO today? It's 9:37am and I'm already bored.

what time is Jerry Springer on, that definitely screams snow day

secdelahc said:

I wish I had a snow day today. Sadly, my commute is a 2 minute walk to class. I can't justify taking the day off.

Teebob2000 said:

Find more ugliest dog pictures to proactively send Julie, before she goes all Queen Blogger again and starts demanding them.

Wanna drive to DuPage for me and file something.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I think that having only one steamer is being woefully unprepared. If I were in charge of that laundry, I'd want at least five.

berselius said:

People in the DC area scoff at you Julie (where is GD?). They got 3 feet of snow over the weekend and are getting another 10-20 inches today and tomorrow

Lovin it. Haven't worked since Thursday.

I was just kinda scanning the list and misread "10 cases of gum" as "10 cases of rum" and thought, thats quite a bit of rum

secdelahc said:

But is it enough rum? That's the question...

FrankS said:

You do have to wonder with Lou seeming out of sorts at times. Perhaps he has a bit of the Captain in him?

Aisle424 said:

So, which Cub forgets that he needs to bring his own shoes? Miles isn't on the roster anymore.

I'm going with Millar. He looks like kind of a dumbass.

cub legend said:

Rosenbloom doesen't know what else to write about. He tries hard to be clever.
What are Cubs fans going to do? It's not like we didn't have anybody using steroids. We had our own muscle head. I'm sure when it all comes out(if it ever does) we will be shocked to see everybody that was using.
At some point, if you love this game, you are just going to have to move on.

Hey...it's hard to do. It took me a good couple hours to come up with something to write about this morning.

Teebob2000 said:

Mmmmm... Bat doughnuts.

plamorte said:

That radar picture reminds me of Ryan Braun's hit zone vs the Cubs. Or the complete opposite of Mile's everyday hit zone graphic.

abe frohman said:

5 hitting tees?! My kid's little league team has more than that.
Maybe we should take up a collection or the players can go door-to-door selling candy bars to raise money for more equipment.

Well...they did have the money for more hitting tees this year...but they decided to put the money toward new bathrooms instead.

Maim said:

Did someone say Ryan Braun?

plamorte said:

Ryan Braun...Henry Rowengartner, whatever you want to call him!

AndCounting said:

I can't get past the name Ryan Braun without thinking Lloyd Braun. Would he lose his minds if we all wore name tags?

Hee hee.

Or bought $100 worth of Chinese gum?

secdelahc said:

Why do they need 4 vacuum cleaners? Do they do their own housekeeping in hotel rooms?

that does seem like something they should keep at the facility in general, or be able to get in Arizona

I bet it costs more to ship 4 vacuum cleaners to AZ than it would to just go to Sears and buy 4.

I'm starting to see why we have no money for the good free agents.

AndCounting said:

They just lost Aaron Miles. It takes four vacuums to make up for the sucking.

berselius said:

nah, they probably just have a huge truck or two for all that equipment, and 4 vacuums aren't going to make a difference.

Dmband said:

"Its sucking my will to live"...

-Garth Algar

I think I spelled that right...

My neighbor got kicked out of his foreclosed house today in the middle of the snow storm. That seriously was shitty of the bank. The poor guy has been out of work for 2 years.

Someone needs to introduce those bankers to Jigsaw. For fuck's sake.

MillsChC said:

Why need the hat-stretcher?... with 850 hats a player can't find one that fits just right? What the hell is a hat-stretcher anyway?

It's basically for Ryan Theriot. His head really starts to swell about 2 weeks into spring training.

Cubs Psychologist said:

450 Athletic Supporters and 36 Cups...Not a good ratio. We got some snow in KY. Snow storms, cars, and the south does not mix very well. Of course, all the bread and milk has been gone since Sunday. A small tendency to over react to projected snow storms.

berselius said:

Toilet paper always gets cleaned out too, for some reason.

As the frequent target of "Andy Noland's" blog, I enjoyed this piece immensely:

The last couple weeks have just been hilarious in the Cubs-blogosphere.

Dmband said:

Just heard on the SCR-

Apparently they are building an area under the RF bleachers...sort of a hang out spot, plasma's etc....access to bleacher ticket holders, corp parties etc..one way glass to watch players take BP in the cages

Sounds pretty cool.

Yeah...Paul Sullivan (of all people) reported this today. Bruce Miles made mention of it on Saturday, but it lacked some details. This does sound cool.

The thing that is just so sad about all this is that the Ricketts' are making substantial upgrades to the stadium this year without actually spending all that much money. Everything going on is relatively minor...things that the Tribune Company could have done years ago and chose not to.

This is one of the big differences in having family owning the team as opposed to a faceless corporation.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

The Twins sign Jacques Jones!

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Dmband said:

I figured that news regarding the upgrades had already surfaced....damn you guys are hard to scoop here.

Edelweiss said:

See if you can guess which player brought his teddy bear?