Wednesday Cubs Headlines: Something Witty and Topical

San Francisco Giants vs. San Diego Padres

So, you're excited Xavier Nady's a Cub? Not so fast, says one Bruce Miles:

[UPDATES: Any deal with Nady would be a one-year deal, according to sources. Nady may or may not come to Chicago for the physical. In addition, the Cubs will want to see how effectively Nady can throw, having coming off Tommy John surgery. In other words, it's not a slam-dunk yet, and the physical exam will be more than a formality.]

Nady played in only seven games for the Yankees last year before having to undergo Tommy John surgery on his right elbow for the second time in his career. He also had TJS in September of 2001.

After weeks of nothing, there seem to be all kinds of little rumors floating about. One involving a new hitter:

The Cubs also are expected to sign corner infielder Chad Tracy to a minor-league contact, according to ESPN. He hit .237 with 39 RBIs for Arizona last season. Tracy could put Micah Hoffpauir's bench job at risk because both are left-handed hitters.

And a couple of names for the bullpen (one that we've already heard):

Assuming Nady passes the physical, the Cubs' winter to-do list is down to one: adding a veteran right-handed reliever. Chan Ho Park and Kiko Calero are in the mix.

And Fred Mitchell is the bearer of good or bad tidings, depending on how you feel about the Hawk's hat in the Hall.

After attending the annual B.A.T. banquet in New York Tuesday night, Dawson sent the following text to The Tribune:

"Hall will issue a press release (Wednesday) announcing that I will go in as an Expo."

MillsChC said:

So The Hawk's going into the Hall as an Expo... Even though it was just a few years ago & they were around for the entire span of my childhood & young adult life, am I the only one here who had completely spaced that the Expos even existed?

my fandom wants Dawson in as a Cub, but the baseball fan in me thinks he should go in as an Expo, he played for a decade with them

plus that brings the grand total of Expos hats to 2

When Fernando Tatis' name was still be bandied about in Cubs rumors, I was terrified to find that he'd be around long enough to be an Expo.

J Pep said:

Morning Carl. I just want to say thanks for your early morning headlines. It is one of the first things I look for every morning and have enjoyed your posts greatly. Keep up the great work.

As far as the Expos not exsisting is why I believe they were the hat of choice. Just for memories sake.

AndCounting said:

A) I hope Nady's arm doesn't fall off.

B) Yeah, I think the Hall of Fame got it right. I found it helpful to sympathize with one Expo fan who saw his team taken from under his nose. The article is from awhile back, but it does give you a good sense of the plight of an Expos fan. http://www.griefilm.com/subpages/MontrealExpos.htm

LostinFla said:

RE: Dawson

Although I feel for Andre about the decision, it was the better call. And if the Expos still were in Montreal, I don't even think the issue could have been raised.

or if the Expos were. . . anywhere.

Dmband said:

As the offseason nears a conclusion, its become increasingly clear that the Cubs are going to enter this season without adding another Starting pitcher. Thats scares me immensely. As far as the offense is concerned, I like what they have done, I still dont see the clear cut leadoff hitter that can steal bases though.

Come to think of it, we dont have one real threat to steal in our entire lineup?

AndCounting said:

Ryan Theriot is a base-stealing threat, but it's a threat that holds his own team hostage.

You mean other than Ryan Theriot?

*snickers*

spiney said:

Erik Bedard? Pedro Martinez? Chan Ho Park? Jarrrrrod Washburn?

or

Gorzelannnny? Marshall? Silva? Samardzija?

For the Cubs' 5th starter, I like them in this order: Bedard, Washburn, Marshall, Martinez, Gorzelanny, Silva, Park, Samardzija.

But I'm pretty sure we'll end up with Marshall, Silva, or Gorzelanny as #5.

I'm okay with Marshall as a 5th starter. I really don't want Gorzelanny or Silva in the 5th spot. Or even on the team, really.

Dmband said:

I really liked Marshall in the Bullpen. He kind of carved out his role really nicely last year, IMO.

Silva and Gorzelanny scare the crap out of me.

Marshall just signed. Looking for details right now. . .

here we go. from the Daily Herald:

"The Cubs and left-handed pitcher Sean Marshall have agreed to terms on a 2010 contract, thus avoiding salary arbitration. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Marshall, 27, went 3-7 with a 4.32 ERA in 55 appearances (nine starts) with the Cubs last season. He limited opponents to a .274 batting average, including a .243 mark by lefties and a .289 mark by righties. Marshall went 1-2 with a 3.23 ERA in 46 relief outings and 2-5 with a 5.24 ERA in nine starts."

Gordo says Marshall signed for $950k. That leaves Theriot Marmol as the unsigned arb guys.

Theriot AND Marmol.

"Theriot Marmol" would be a terrible name.

AndCounting said:

Not for a band. I think Theriot Marmol works. Or you could break it up and go The Marmol Riot.

I love this plan. I'm excited to be a part of it.

Max Power said:

A great video giving a look at the Expos' start in Montreal:

Wow...I've seen pictures of Jarry Park...but when you actually footage from games there, it's hard to believe that a major league team could have played a such a small ball park for as long as the Expos did.

Max Power said:

Although the term "major league team" is awfully generous when referring to the majority of the Expos' seasons.

I don't know . . there was a good 4-5 year stretch there in the late 80s/early 90s where the Expos were good every year. But then, so were the Pirates.

Actually, the expos were very good in the late '70s and early '80s...

In fact, the Expos out drew the Cubs in attendance from 1976 until 1981.

Dmband said:

Given my name here, I feel compelled to drop this tasty rumor regarding the friendly confines:

Dave Matthews Band Wrigley Field 2010 concert rumored
A Dave Matthews Band Wrigley Field 2010 concert is under consideration, a Chicago Cubs blog reports.

Dave Matthews Band, Phish and Paul McCartney may all hold Wrigley Field concerts this summer, according to Bleed Cubbie Blue. The report cites an unnamed source and speculates that the Phish, Paul McCartney and DMB Wrigley Field concerts would take place between May 31-June 10 and/or July 5-14.

you mentioned ABATT...shame on you.

LostinFla said:

Re: Chad Tracy signing.

I'm really hoping for a rare Cubs reverse mojo on this one and that we get some payback for Luis Gonzalez. He hit 22 hr's for the Cubs in parts of 2 seasons (96-97), but, of course, went on to hit 57 for the Diamondbacks in just one (2001). All without the aid of any illegal substances, I'm sure...

Sadly, Tracy, who had a couple of nice seasons for Arizona early on, has fallen all the way from a .550 slg in 2005 to sub .400 (.389 slg in Arizona, yikes!) last year. The chance of plucking gold (or even of Tracy making the team out of ST) looks slim.

Ah yes, the rare/mythical Cubs reverse mojo. Many have dreamed of it. . . few have ever seen it.

LostinFla said:

It's the Chupacabra of baseball!

Dmband said:

Doc-

I found it ironic, as this is clearly a non baseball topic.

FrankS said:

As the old adage goes, "Do as I say and not as I do!"