Wednesday Cubs Headlines: Whither Baseball?

cold.jpg

For Chicago baseball fans, this is the worst time of the year. The holidays are over, the Bears are. . uh . . over. . . the Bulls stink (it's a complete anomaly that, for once, we have a team to be excited about this time of year in the Hawks). It's cold. It's gray. And baseball seems a million miles away. I've seen a ton of people on the interwebs lately, begging to know "is it time for baseball yet?!?!?"

Well no. Not quite yet. But there are a ton of things to do around town right now to keep you entertained until baseball season starts!

This Thursday, Billy Dec's Rockit Wrigley will debut Cubs-aholic Thursdays, a weekly event when Cubs fans can huddle together for warmth, great food, better booze, and comiseration.  Dave Kaplan will host the first Cubs-aholic Thursday tomorrow at 9:00 pm, and then guess who hosts next week? Moi! Hope all of you will come hang out!  More details on that come.

Then, of course, this weekend is the Cubs Convention. If you don't have pass, Al Yellon from Bleed Cubbie Blue has tweeted this morning that he has two passes available, so contact Al if you're looking for a legal way to get in the door.

If you don't have, and don't want, a Cub Con pass, you can still come hang out with flyball, myself, Aisle424, and a bunch of others of your favorite Cubs fans this Friday night at Kitty O'Shea's. We'll be there 7:30ish. Details here.

And, AND if you really want to get away to sunshine, warmth, and baseball, Cubs Spring Training tickets went on sale yesterday.

It's been 24 hours since Mark McGwire confessed what everyone but Tony LaRussa already knew, and it hasn't taken long for those who really could have benefited from using steroids to start whining.

First up, Goose Gossage, who is possibly my least favorite Cub of all-time:

Baseball Hall of Fame reliever Goose Gossage says there should be no place in the hall for Mark McGwire or any other player who used performance-enhancing drugs.

"I definitely think that they cheated," Gossage said on Tuesday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "And what does the Hall of Fame consist of? Integrity. Cheating is not part of integrity."

Next up, Mitch Williams winds up, pitches, and falls off the mound:

Former Cubs closer Mitch Williams, an analyst for the MLB Network, said Tuesday he was disappointed with aspects of Mark McGwire's steroids admission.

"He said he took 'em for his health and to get back on the field. Well, the last time I checked, if you can't get back on the field, you can't perform," Williams said on "The Mully & Hanley Show" on WSCR-AM 670. "If you take these and it allows you to go on the field, it's performance-enhancing. He's in denial.

"With his admission, I don't think the Hall of Fame is even a consideration. Him doing what he did (Monday) was his way of saying the Hall of Fame doesn't mean anything to me. And to me, that's a good thing. I don't think anyone that admits, who is proven guilty of using them belongs in the Hall of Fame."

Hmmm. I'm beginning to notice a trend in crappy Cubs relievers weighing in on this topic. Tune in tomorrow when Roberto Novoa, Felix Heredia, and Antonio Alfonseca give their take on the McGwire Confession.

Guess what? Rich Hill is still playing baseball and NOT in a psych ward, where I think we all assumed he'd end up by now:

While the Orioles have re-signed a couple of their players from last year to minor league deals, it does not appear that Rich Hill will be one of them. Earlier this offseason, the Orioles offered the left-handed starter a minor league pact with an invite to spring training, but it looks like Hill is poised to accept another offer. There has been very little talk between the two sides in recent days and Hill has other minor league offers that are available to him.

It should come as no surprise that Hill likely won't return. It probably will benefit him to get out of the American League East and return to the National League. His chances of making the Orioles' Opening Day rotation were slim after the Kevin Millwood trade gave the Orioles some starting pitching depth.

I think we're all sufficiently terrified as to who this "mystery club" is going to turn out to be.

Don't forget that Alex Quigley and I will be on WGN Saturday morning at 9:30 am CT. Last time I was on with Bill Leff, I called Cubs fans "stupid." Tune in to hear what stupid thing I manage to say this time!

Finally, please consider sending money, supplies, and prayers to those who survived the devastating earthquake in Haiti yesterday.  Some of my favorite international relief agencies are The Red Cross, OxFamMedicins Sans Frontiers, and Heifer International.  At at time when we're all thinking about buying baseball tickets, the people of Haiti are wondering where to get food, clean water, and shelter. Please help.

plamorte said:

Still undecided if I'm going to be able to make it to Kitty O'Shea's Friday. If I do go, I'll be the one in the Cubs gear...

How can you even consider NOT going????

BAH.

plamorte said:

if you MUST know...it's National Multiple Sclerosis Society Week at Chicagoland Chili's Restaurants, 10% of your bill goes toward MS research, I go every year with a family friend who has MS. If anyone is interested in a voucher (you need it to get the 10% donated), I have the PDF I can e-mail out. Last day is the 15th!

so come AFTER dinner.

DUH.

Drew said:

unfortunately, I'm not going to make the meetup. However, I do hope Rich Hill can make a go of things. And, of course, I wouldn't mind if he joined the Brewers or the Pirates, so we could face him...

You can text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts in Haiti.

CNN now saying 100K+ dead. Incredible. And sad.

Aisle424 said:

I saw a Sun-Times tweet that AP is reporting the estimates are figuring about 500,000 could be dead.

secdelahc said:

This just confirmed: my Econ professor is a Cubs fan. Also, I am waiying for the days he starts talking about Da Bears, as he looks like this: http://zembla.cementhorizon.com/archives/swerski.jpg

It's only a matter of time.

secdelahc said:

*waiting. stoopid keyboard

that's awesome.

secdelahc said:

Agreed. On Monday, he probably said three words, and I looked at my neighbor and declared, "he's from Chicago." Of course, the rest of the class was debating his accent, but I knew right away. Now, if only this info could somehow help me get a better grade.

hahahahaha.

everytime i hear myself on the radio or podcast, i'm always like "shit, i really DO sound like i'm from Chicago."

Carrie Muskat with a Ted Lilly update:

"Ted Lilly, who underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left shoulder, has started throwing and could throw Friday while in Chicago for the Cubs' annual fan fest. Lilly had the debridement done on Nov. 3, deciding to do so when pain in his shoulder did not go away. He was expected to miss the first month of the regular season.

Athletic trainer Mark O'Neal was able to check on Lilly recently, and pitching coach Larry Rothschild said Wednesday he hoped to have Lilly test his arm while they were in town for the Cubs Convention."

For those of you who have liked the retired numbers flags in 2020 I did this week...I have one last one...since the Cubs ran out of room on the flag poles...

Center field scoreboard in 2020

This is the last one...I promise.

For those of you who missed all the late night fun last night:

@showpatrol: Conan roasts NBC on 'Tonight Show' - Show Patrol http://bit.ly/7Je9vZ

No question whose side the other late night hosts are on. Have I mentioned how much I love Craig Ferguson?

MN Pat said:

Craig Ferguson is awesome. And cute.

I think he's cute, too.

Perkins said:

Memo to Goose Gossage: There's no place in the Hall of Fame for relief pitchers not named Mariano Rivera, Trevor Hoffman, and possibly Bruce Sutter.

Agreed.

Plus. . . I think how good you are early on in your career should be subject to cancellation based on how long you hang around and are TERRIBLE after you career is long over.

For example, Gossage's time with the Cubs would negate his early days with the Yankees.

Aisle424 said:

I don't blame Gossage for his time with the Cubs. Of course he was going to suck. Anybody not in a position to offer the man a contract knew he was a bazillion years old and had nothing left.

I'll warn everyone right now, if Hendry approaches me at the Cub Convention and wants me to sign a contract for even major league minimum salary to pitch or be a utility guy, I am going to sign the damn thing and go out and do my best. I'm going to suck horribly, but I am going to sign the contract and I am going to cash the checks.

As long as there are stupid people who will sign them, the players are going to play. I blame the people who offer the contracts.

You'll be the next Aaron Miles. I can't wait!

AndCounting said:

I think there should be a separate wing in the Hall of Fame expressly for relief pitchers. It's almost like having a pinch hitter go into the Hall of Fame. (Rusty Staub was robbed!)

That said, I don't expect former players to be objective about steroid use or the Hall of Fame. They're competitors who are still competing in their minds. If he gave up home runs to guys he thinks were juiced, of course he's going to be upset about it. He's entitled to his opinion, but he's not the guy I'd look to for an objective overview of the situation.

The Greatest said:

From five on five in Tuesday's Redeye:

Topic #2: What are we going to do when the Blackhawks and the NHL take a two week break from the Olympics?

cubbiejulie's reponse: I don't know. I don't like being outdoors. For one thing, there are too many fat children.

Hilarious response from a typical unaware(redundant)Cub fan and fat chick like Julie.

Keep providing us with the funny Fatass Julie.

Max Power said:

I don't like feeding trolls (a term I hate anyway), but I wouldn't be able to call myself a man if I didn't tell this coward that I am happy to beat the shit out of him if he wants. Just trying to oblige.

Giving him the attention he wants might be wrong, but I hate hypocrites (a coward behind a keyboard calling someone else unaware), particularly those who say shit about my wife.

I expect either no response, or some horseshit insult toward me. I expect nothing less from a cowardly, gutless hypocritical asshole.

The Greatest said:

Anytime Gay Power, so it's perfectly fine for your fat wife to shit on fat kids, like that's sooo cool you came in your panties.

Hey--this has been fun. Thanks for stopping by.

Max Power said:

Ah, calling me gay.

I guess I underestimated you.

The Greatest said:

Max Power? Come on.

also a Simpsons reference.

oog of ulams said:

I, on the other hand, adore the little dimwits who's parents' internet connection allows them to insult better people than themselves with no fear of reprisal. It really shines a light on the 11-year-old-human condition.

i'm more upset that i managed to do an entire 5-on-5 comprised entirely of Simpsons quotes and no one a) noticed or b) appreciated it.

Hrumph.

oog, you have FB mail.

It's a Simpsons quote, you idiot.

The Greatest said:

Glad to know you have memorized every quote on all 450 episodes of the Simpson's and you still find time to change chubby hubby's diapers.

You're both childish assholes.

Oh, that was just another Simpson's quote.

Meh--it was an attempt to do all 5 answers in Simpsons quotes. Sorry if you were offended.

Perkins said:

I'm glad you've mastered English grammar, common decency, and humor.

Oh, right, all you've actually mastered is the internet tough guy thing. Which makes you an insufferable twat. Rock on, internet tough guy! You're a big tough man!

The Greatest said:

Oh the irony, those words coming coming from a little prick who endorses the slaughter of baby seals. Rock on internet pussy. You're a small weak cunt.

Drew said:

So, seriously. This is what passes for discussion here?

no, it's not. actually, this is the first time this has happened.

Edelweiss said:

If I realized that this kind of language was allowed, I would have given you more gossip about what goes on in the Cubs Clubhouse.

a) I don't think I even WANT to know that. b) are you really Yosh Kawano?

Edelweiss said:

Nope. I am a 66 year old female, who never has and never will be in any stinky mens locker room. What I get is all second hand and heresay.

plamorte said:

now this is getting old. Move on. Comment on the post, that's what this space is here for. (yes I realize I'm not doing that either) Or keep going and I hope ChicagoNow has the ability to do an IP ban.

I don't believe in banning. I have other . . . methods through which I can take care of things.

okay. . . bye-bye now.

Perkins said:

I'm neither little nor a prick, though I've been called an asshole from time to time. But you're just projecting at this point.

Edelweiss said:

Actually, the fat kids are indoors.

plamorte said:

I hope this has taught you kids a lesson: kids never learn.

Some things never go out of style: calling girls "fat," guys "gay," and mentioning diapers.

The thing is, I've actually met you in the real world, and you're not fat. So, this is really all just ridiculous.

Oh, also, way to endear yourself to a blog that has several gay members.

spiney said:

Hello,
Can we get back to talking about the Cubs? I mean Ivan De JESUS was just named 1st base coach. WHEEE! I'm so excited I'm squealing like a guinea pig when it hears the bag of food rustling!
We get to see Ivan everyday this summer! All I need now is 'Steve Ontiveros Day' at Willis, I mean Wrigley Field and I will have to retire this particular pair of Depends!

Plus the Herald let us know who the NRIs are this year and - so far - no Kevin Orie!

you don't like talking about me being fat? that's a shame. more interesting than the Cubs off-season, anyway.

spiney said:

I'm a married man, I've learned not to talk, at all, about anyone being...that word you said.

I do agree about this off-season. You see how excited I am about a player we traded away almost exactly 28 years ago. And another one we let go to Japan for nothing.

I remember an article in the Chicago Tribune Magazine approx. 30 yrs. ago that took the best body parts of all the current Chicago celebrities. Ivan's thighs were chosen. I agreed wholeheartedly. Only Kirby Puckett's thighs ever came close - and they were all fat. Uh-oh. Uh-oh. Spiney said bad word. Uh-oh!

I also like Ivan DeJESUS, because Mojo Nixon 'wound up his old-time washboard like Ivan DeJESUS and smacked that fool club-owner in the face" and somewhere down the line yelled "Where the Hell's my Money?".
So anyway, I get a little excited about the Cubs infield of the late 70s. Bill, Manny, Ivan, Steve.

This is a good policy. LOL

I won't really be happy until they find a job for Hector Villanueva. He'd be a perfect bullpen coach.

secdelahc said:

This would be a way to get Carl to Chicago more often...

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Hector! Hector!

spiney said:

Yeah, no warmup toss would make it past him to interfere with the game ('cause he was FAT and all).

secdelahc said:

This would be a way to get Carl to Chicago more often...

cub legend said:

Maybe the Cubs will retire Ivan DeJesus's number too. Seems like all the news is about coaches not adding players. I do hope they keep their spring training in Arizona. I don't think moving to Florida would really make sense. We should hear something soon.