Mystery Date: Who Will Get to be the Fourth Cubs Outfielder?

Who will the lucky guy be? It's no secret that the Cubs are on the prowl for a 4th outfielder to back up the underacheiving Fukudome, Soriano, and (probably) Marlon Byrd. I know a lot of people think Soriano will bounce back this season, I just don't a happen to be one of them. I hope I'm wrong. At any rate, when Fukudome corkscrews himself into the ground and Soriano goes down with his quadri-annual "tight legs," our 4th outfielder...

Read more »

AndCounting said:

Doesn't it make you shed a little tear to see Rick Ankiel and Scotty Pods no longer eligible?

Tear...yes...from laughing so hard at the fact that the Royals signed them both!

plamorte said:

Cannot wait for this: http://twitpic.com/zqb70

I personally would love Damon to be on the Cubs...but if they are only concerned with someone to platoon with K-Fuk, then it won't work. I'd prefer they consider a platoon with Soriano if he struggles to start the year.

I'm on the Jonny Gomes bandwagon right now.

I am not quite sure how I would react to having to cheer for Damon, he wasn't my favorite on the Red Sox,I was allowed to dislike him on the Yankees, and would be perfectly fine if he played in say Seattle where he could impress women with his hair

of course all the other players in the clubhouse could avoid reporters all season with Damon and Theriot there

I loved Damon when he played for Boston. I've hated him ever since he went to the Yanks. I could see loving him again in Cubbie blue, if for no other reason than his hair.

maybe I was just given a Damon overdose. Like having a food every single day for 2 years you can't go near it for a decade

Ew, ew, ew. Did you seriously say Gomez is "a little something for the ladies"? He looks like a cave man.

dat cubfan daver said:

This is a cool visual take on the 4th OF situation. I'm not sure I'd consider Damon a bona fide "candidate," but I guess there's no harm in throwing his name in the mix. He's probably out of the Cubs price range, and I'm not sure Lou would seriously consider using one left-handed hitter (Damon) to platoon with another (Fukudome) - even though Damon's career splits vs. LHPs aren't horribly bad. Johnny doesn't have much power either, which I believe the Cubs are looking for.

One name you could add to the list - if for the sake of completeness only - is Jim Edmonds. Of course, he has the same handedness problem as Damon when it comes to right field. And of course he has the same agedness problem as Damon, Dye and Tatis.

(Another name not on your list that no one seems to be saying much about: Russell Branyan.)

One advantage that both Tatis and Nady have is they could cover first base. Right now, it appears Jeff Baker is being counted on to play some second base while backing up both first and third base. That's spreading him pretty thin. An additional 1B backup is pretty important given DLee's now-perennial bulging disc problem.

Why wouldn't Hufflepuff back up 1st?

dat cubfan daver said:

If the Cubs sign this mysterious 4th OF, Hoffpauir won't have a roster spot. Here's the bench:

Mike Fontenot 2B
Andres Blanco SS/2B
Koyie Hill C
Mystery Man 4th OF
Sam Fuld 5th OF

exactly...

Baker actually is the backup 1st baseman in that scenario.

dat cubfan daver said:

Right, which may be fine some/most of the time. But what if, God forbid, Aramis and DLee are both out at the same time? Then we're probably looking at Baker at first base and Mike Fontenot at third - unless Hendry signs Nady (who's played 543.2 innings at first) or Tatis (who's played more than 300 innings at 1B and over 5,000 at 3B).

If Aramis and DLee are both out at the same time...it really doesn't matter...the team is pretty much fucked at that point now matter who is playing for the Cubs.

But in that scenario, look for Josh Vitters to make a quick journey up to the big club.

Other options to keep in mind...Koyie Hill could play some first base (and could sub in a third if need be). And don't forget, in an extreme emergency, Soriano can play second base.

But as I said before, nothing will fix the situation if both Lee and Ramirez are out at the same time.

if lee and ramirez are both injured, you'll find me in the bottom of a fifth of rum

how different is that from when they are both healthy?

In those cases I'm not quite at the bottom?

dat cubfan daver said:

Well, yeah, I was referring more to "day-to-day" type injures to DLee and Aramis. If DLee has to take a DL stint, the Cubs could call up Hoffpauir or LaHair (one or both of which will presumably be at Triple A). I'd just prefer to have someone on the 25-man with some substantial experience at that position.

Edelweiss said:

Having a backup first baseman is not too much of a problem. We might be a bit spoiled because of Lee being so good defensively, but almost anyone can play first base, including outfielders. Even second basemen have to cover first on bunts. Anyone over 6 feet should be able to stretch far enough. A lot of power hitters play first because they don't have enough speed to play other positions.

dat cubfan daver said:

"Anyone over 6 feet should be able to stretch far enough."

Guess that takes Fontenot out of the running.

maybe Sean Marshall in as a late inning substitution?

Edelweiss said:

At least he is over 5 feet.

FrankS said:

Just for completeness and to be completely off the wall, I nominate Carlos Zambrano for fourth outfielder. He's a switch-hitter so it wouldn't have to be a strict platoon. I just don't know if he would be very good at catching flyballs.

Second. And God knows it would make him happy.

Edelweiss said:

He's 6'5", and not too fast. There, you have your backup first baseman.

About to go live with @alexqigley. Tune in here: http://tobtr.com/s/870228

I prefer Damon. Someone in the outfield is going to either blow or get injured, and there might as well be someone who can hit the ball. I'd recommend that guy be the nest of what's left -- that would be Damon.

this is my feeling as well. at least he's a decent hitter.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

You prefer Damien, the spawn of Satan.

Dmband said:

Well, Im just getting to this but I read the issues that you had with your debit card. Since I work for a bank, albiet a smaller, regional bank, I have a suggestion. I typically recommend my clients use a credit card only. No debit card. This is for a few reasons, 1)If someone steals it, they are not wiping out your account, you are using "the banks money". 2) You typically get much better rewards with a credit card, 3) you can pay it off at the end of the month and you can track all your expenses on one statement.

This should be a different card than one you carry a balance on...

Keep the limit low, like under 5K.

Hope that helps...I've dealt with a lot of people that have lost cards and this seems to be the best solution.

Also, you will be happy to know that ALL banks will now no longer allow customers to overdraw thier account with a debit card. It will simply deny the purchases, instead of putting you negative. That goes into effect soon...and its good news for everyone...(except the banks)

That is all.

Uh, hey Julie. I want headlines.

Hey. My mornings are stressful enough without you whining for headlines all the time. Shut. It.