For The Love Of God, Can We Be Done Already?

syringe.jpg

$@#*@#$@$@#@! If there were anything else to talk about, I wouldn't be posting this story, believe me.

In light of Mark McGwire's admission that he took steroids during his record-breaking home run season of 1998, Banks says he would like to assist Sammy Sosa if he wants to address allegations that he used steroids.

"If he wanted to do that, knowing that people were leaning toward thinking he was involved with steroids, I would say just what Mark McGwire did," Banks told me. "You know, come clean with it. Explain it to them. You know he will have fans in the Dominican. Just say: 'This is what happened.'

"Just admit it and live with it and understand it. I am sure a lot of people will forgive him."

(snip)

The ever-optimistic Banks says he would like to see Sosa embraced by new Cubs ownership.

"I would like to see Sammy come back. Throw out the first pitch, sing 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game,' you know, meet some of the players and all of that. I was dreaming about it. I always thought that the way he left here and went to his demise here was quick. The lesson from that is that fame is fleeting."

Okay look, Ernie. I know that you're from another era where players and the media pretended that you guys were all about integrity and dignity and played for the love of the game and all that. And, frankly, pretending that was so makes both of us happy, so let's leave it right there.

But I don't need a confession from Sammy to know that he was juicing, and I certainly don't need to see a player who was nothing but a selfish ass in his last season come back and sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame." So while I'm always happy to hear from you, please stop talking now. No offense.

Those of you who enjoy heading to the warm winds of the desert, rather than the seeping rot of the jungle, will be happy to know that the Mesa City Council has approved the Cubs future Spring Training plans:

The Mesa (Ariz.) City Council on Monday evening approved a proposal to spend $84 million for a new spring training complex for the Cubs and is now awaiting official word from the team, which is expected within days.

If the Cubs' board approves the plan for a 15,000-seat stadium modeled after Wrigley Field, the two parties would enter into an exclusive negotiations period.

The Cubs would operate the new complex -- and make money from naming rights and signage -- which would be built east of HoHoKam Park. They also would try to find another team to take over the old site.

So what does that mean? Bruce Miles tell us:

A Cubs person tells me tonight that the Cubs expect to announce a decision within the next several days. The team is expected to respond to Mesa's offer quickly and enter into a period of exclusive negotiations for an $84 million deal that would put the Cubs in a state-of-the-art complex on the east-northeast side of Mesa. As your know, the Cubs had been looking a lot farther, east to Naples, Fla., but the Mesa folks pulled out all the stops to keep the crown jewel of the Cactus League.

The Mesa paper reported some opposition to Mesa building a ballpark, but Mayor Scott Smith countered by saying: "I look at this as economic preservation."

Hey, if you've been following my saga with Chase bank, it's now been 108 hours since I reported my debit card had been stolen and my account emptied. Despite their website's assurance that the money would be back in my account "at the end of the next business day," it's still showing a negative balance. Your welcome for the bailout money, you jerks.

WGN news is reporting that Tim Tebow is going to appear in an anti-abortion commercial during the Super Bowl. In the add, his mother is going to talk about how got sick while she was pregnant with Tim, but (obviously) didn't have an abortion. Message? Don't have an abortion, your kid could grow up to be Tim Tebow!!!!!

Yesterday's podcast with Alex Quigley is available for download/listening.

Only 25 days until pitchers and catchers report.

I know we've been over this.

But.

Sammy SHOULD come back and throw out the first pitch or sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame or whatever other kind of showboating activities are available to him, because he is/was the consummate entertainer who many younger Cubs fans grew up with. He belongs there, he's good at it, and it would be good for the teams. His "selfishness" really isn't applicable there.

It is to me. Walking out of the game in the 4th inning is damn near inexcusable, as far as I'm concerned.

Yet Milton Bradley did pretty much the same thing at the end of last season and you wanted him back.

When? I never heard that.

Bradley's last game. He gets to first base, he walks off the field. Lou has a dumbfounded look on his face. This happen a day or two after he made the comments that ultimately got him suspended for the rest of the season.

Well, at least he had the common courtesy to claim to be injured.

Ok...I'll give you that.

It happened a decade ago. Let go already. He made a stupid decision after years of service to the team. Time to get over it.

I almost agree with you on this...

But I feel that Sosa has to make the first move here and come clean about the PED use.

Once that happens, the healing process with the fans can begin.

Sosa was the last true Cubs superstar. And it is time for him to be brought back.

I'll go with that.

AndCounting said:

I'd like for him to do the exact opposite of what Mark McGwire did. I'd love for him to say, "I don't owe anybody an explanation. If people really wanted to know if I was using, they would have done better than sending Rick Reilly to my locker with a cup. You didn't want to know in 1998, so don't pretend to want to know now. If I say I didn't use, you won't believe me. If I say I did use, you won't believe the details or the explanation I give you. So forgive me if I expect my accomplishments to speak for themselves and my personal ingestion (or injection) preferences to stay my business. A one, a two, a three, take . . . "

You get the idea.

I could respect a variation of that, which is kinda what he is saying by not saying anything

oddly enough, so could I.

LostinFla said:

Agree with your sentiment. If (a big IF) Sosa takes the first move, it's time to bring him back into the Cub family. 1998 was a special season, wind-aided or not...

Why Sosa is essentially treated like Pete Rose, I don't understand. And Rose, of course, is only still in the outhouse because he lied to "baseball" and then had the temerity to not be contrite about it. Since Rose bet on his own team to WIN, it's time to move on from that too...

Jim Bowden Tweets:

"Ben Sheets negotiations according to reliable sources are heating up with teams most interested being the Rangers, Mets, Sea, A's and Cubs."

He's going to the Rangers or the A's.

Don't get your hopes up, Cub fans.

I assume the ad is going to be regional?

Nope. I think national.

speaking of unwanted pregancies...

There has been a rise in teenage pregnancies over the last few years. I blame liberals...and Tiger Woods.

I wish people would stop talking about abortion. It will never be illegal, so let's all stop wasting our time beating dead horses.

FrankS said:

I wouldn't say never. I'm sure there were lots of people that thought America would never have a black President. I was stunned when the Supreme Court basically ruled that corporations can contribute as much as they want in elections so if they overturn Roe v Wade, then I would be much less surprised.

Heh, true.

HoboHanson said:

BORING!!!.... This off-season has been seriously dragging. Mesa/Naples?? Who cares? Sammy Sosa? Stop bringing up old shit? Ernie Banks is still alive? Doesn't he have anything better to do? Damn!

You (Julie) have inspired me get rid of my one credit card because it is from Bank of America. But I might need a credit card... Do you think federal credit unions would be cool?

I know it's boring, okay? What do you want me to do about it?

You should ask Carl. He loves credit unions. They sound kinda communist, though.

I'm working on my Mark Grace opus...hopefully will be finished by tomorrow morning.

That should be something good to talk about.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Credit Unions are basically co-ops. Owned by those that have accounts in them, so there's not "the man" or shareholders demanding exorbitant profits.

Dmband said:

RE: Sosa

I for one, think he should come back. However, I am not so sure Cub fans would welcome him with open arms like St. Louis did with McGwire. My assumption is it would be a mixed reaction. I remember Scottie Pippen refused to come back into a game because he was upset he was not taking the last shot. He got a lot of flack for that, but ultimately, fans forgave him for that. I assume Cubs fans would do the same for Sammy. Let's be honest, for a good 5 year stretch, the only reason you went to Wrigley was to see Sammy hit 2-3 Hr's....

Everyone knows he juiced. I think he should come clean...

5 year stretch? I'd put that up to 8 years...I remember people saying in 1996 after he got injured for the rest of the season that the Cubs should wear black bands on their arms for the rest of the season. People think that everything started 1998...but he really was the best player on the team starting in 1995. His home run + stolen base totals were great!

I don't. He didn't want to tell the truth back in 1998, don't tell the truth now just because you want a shot at the HOF. I'm happy with him just keeping his mouth shut. If McGwire gets in, so should Sammy.

Dmband said:

Really the biggest downside to Sosa coming back is that we then have to look at his weird face/green contacts. Im pretty sure he's a vampire at this point.

yeah...but vampires are really 'in' right now.

Dmband said:

Thats true, however, the Cubs play far too many day games.

plamorte said:

Just want to say I love your choice of clipart Julie.

Why thank you. It was that or the recent photo of creepy Michael Jackson Sammy.

I have officially decided that, after seeing his weight and looking a couple pictures, that Marlon Byrd's nickname should be "Turducken".

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Here in Indianapolis, there's a steakhouse that's locally renowned for its shrimp cocktail. So what's our mayor putting up in his Superbowl bet with Ray Nagin, whose city lies near the Gulf of Mexico and rich shrimping waters? Shrimp cocktail. We're dumbasses.

please please please tell me they are going to send corn on the cob, it would just be perfect

Rumor has it Xavier Nady is signing with the Cubs pending a physical

any word on how the rehab from Tommy John surgery is going?

and whoever asked why did he only have 28 at bats last season thats why

That was Julie. She doesn't pay attention.

I can't wait til she reads that then

She won't. I think she just ignores my comments anyway.

I was busy. Give me a break.

Also, I'm pretty sure Nady was the worst of all our possible choices for 4th OF.

I didn't know non-pitchers had Tommy John surgery.

I meant in general, not specific to this. But I wasn't complaining; it has probably kept me from beign your first ban.

maybe it is different for a non-pitcher...but that seems like a very short recovery time for t-j surgery.

I know the injury was April, when was the surgery itself?

Probably last month.

Jimmy Greenfield said:

Not only did Sheets just sign with the A's, but they signed him to a one-year deal at only $8 million.

The Ricketts continue doing diddly squat and appear to be house poor. Right now the Cubs are closer to the Royals than they are to the Red Sox, Angels and Yankees.

$8 mil guaranteed is too much for Sheets, I think.

Jimmy Greenfield said:

If he's not healthy, $1 million is too much. But if he's healthy, it's a bargain.

I've read that the deal is for $10 million...but I have no confirmation.

AndCounting said:

Yeah, it's $10 million for 1/2 a year. I seriously doubt he's an A past the trade deadline.

More details...$10 million for 1 year with a possible $2 million more in incentives.

That seems really high, personally...he shouldn't have gotten any more than Rick Harden did.

spiney said:

Bring on Jon Garland. Anyone that can give up 247 hits in 33 games/211 innings yet still wins 18 games brings with him the kind of run support we need...wait, what?

jtbwriter said:

Good morning from cold and not yet raining So Cal...
It's a trifecta-I agree with you Julie on a)Appropriateness of "Tebow" Ad-it's a football game-not a religious forum!Only message I want to hear is that the Colts are wiping the floor with the Saints! b)Sammy can come back and sing "TMO" if it makes Ernie happy-but only if he tells us why he's a putz. c)Credit Unions are only as good as the people whose money is in them-buth they're better then any bank! Tell Chase you want your money in 24 hours or you're going to 60 Minutes!
Oh-and I like Shrimp Cocktail-I'd bet that in a minute!

Confirmation on Nady: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4859890

3 yrs, 3.3 million base with incentives. He's "doing well" in rehab from TJ surgery.

"doing well" are code words for "5 to 6 months from being ready to play".

HoboHanson said:

I was not saying your writing is boring Julie. I just meant that I'm getting real bored with the lack of Cubs news this off-season. They just won't so anything. And then KABLAMO!!!, they sign someone today. Albeit Nady isn't someone to get all excited about...

And Carl, I'm in on the credit union thing. I will be transferring my $78.33 later this week.

Look people, I had to take the anklebiters to the doctor. The reason there are approxmiately 57 of you with admin privileges is so that when Sheets signs with the As and Nady signs with the Cubs, someone can put up a freakin' diary.

HoboHanson said:

I'm a little insulted I'm not on that list of 57. But I totally understand...

I've been saying you should take that right away from me for quite some time now.