Dear Chase: FUCK YOU

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for chase-bank-big.jpg

Dear Chase,

Hey, remember back in the Winter/Spring of 2008/2009 when your business was in serious trouble? If I remember correctly, you were pretty much screwed. Back then, American taxpayers, against their better judgment, I would add, ponied up $25 billion to help out your bank alone. At the time, you promised to do everything you could to pay back the money and be the kind of banking institution America would be proud of.

Fast forward to last night. My wallet was stolen. Someone cleaned out my accounts, using my debit and credit cards all over town. In fact, you let someone overcharge my account by more than $1500 on a DEBIT card. Isn't the whole point of a debit card that you're supposed to verify the amount in my account before letting a charge go through? I guess not.

Less than 24 hours later, I discovered my missing wallet and contacted your customer service reps. Guess what? Even though America helped out in your time of need, you have decided you aren't going to do the same. Even though the biggest charge (which was over $3500 at a Chicago Target--and seriously, when have I EVER spent $3500 at Target?) hasn't posted to my account yet, you refuse to "stop payment" on it. Which means that I have to let the charge post to my account (48-72 hours) before I can even dispute it. Then I have to wait until 3-4 days for you to reimburse my account. This basically means that my bank account is empty for the next week.

Know what the funniest thing about all of this is? This is what it says on your website:

Your Chase Debit Card comes with built-in security and safety -- at no cost to you. Our ultimate fraud protection tools will really put your mind at ease:

• Real-time fraud monitoring - If a transaction's out of character from your normal spending habits, we'll contact you to make sure it's actually yours.
  • Free Security Alerts - Sign up and we'll call or e-mail you if a card purchase or ATM withdrawal exceeds a limit you've set.
  • Zero Liability protection1 - You're not responsible for any unauthorized card transactions.
  • Guaranteed credit - Unauthorized purchases and withdrawals are back in your account by the end of the next business day.

Wow--that's funny. That doesn't sound at ALL like what your mechanical, scripted, unsympathetic customer service employees told me on the phone.

So Chase, thanks for nothing. And all your warm and fuzzy commercials about how Chase will have my back and is "Everywhere To Me" are a complete crock of shit. Thanks for screwing over the very people who bailed your asses out less than a year ago. Oh, and for blatantly lying on your webiste. By the way, I'll be contacting the FTC and my state Attorney General about that.

As soon as my account is reimbursed, I'll be taking my money out of Chase and putting it in a bank that pays more than lip service to customer care. And I plan to spend a lot of my time in the coming days and weeks urging all my friends to do the same.

Once again, drop dead. And, on behalf of America, I hope your bank goes under.

No love,

Julie

(readers should use the comment section below to discuss other incidents in which Chase has completely screwed other taxpayers over)

Aisle424 said:

Sorry you had to find a company who gives less of a shit about its customers than the Cubs. That is impressively sad.

It's true.

I love the fact that major corporations have no problem being intentionally deceptive on their websites.

Alex Quigley said:

Holy shit.

I am so sorry, Julie.

Your lawyer-fu may be able to help you better than an average citizen, but man...I wish I had stayed later. If I had seen anything weird, I would've put the kibosh on it.

Chase is totally blowing it on this, and I hope anyone reading this will retweet/forward/do anything to spread the word, because you don't deserve this treatment, nor would anyone else in this position.

Max Power said:

You're "sorry"....I knew it! I told Julie it was that shifty Quigley guy! Enjoy your Rubbermaid products, Thiefy McSteal.

On a side note, Chase would do better than to screw with a lawyer married to ANOTHER DAMNED LAWYER who reads contracts for a living.

I blame Hendry.

I blame Aaron Miles.

Alex Quigley said:

I will put you in the ground, Hank Scorpio.

Max Power said:

See you in hell, dinner plate.

Aisle424 said:

And I thought we got robbed by Kitty O'Sheas last weekend. This is way worse than $10 beers.

You know, I have had a Chase credit card for a number of years now...it was Bank One when I originally got it.

I haven't used it in almost 2 years and have debated getting rid of it.

That pretty much is it...that is the 3rd Chase horror story I've heard in the last 7 days. I'm not going to risk having a Chase card any more.

Jim Wallis on The Daily Show on why Americans should move their money out of big banks for the good of the country: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-20-2010/jim-wallis

thecubreporter said:

try this if they remain stubborn...

or search on Consumerist for "Chase Executives" or EECB (stands for executive email carpet bomb)

had my wallet stolen a few months back but everything got reimbursed, albeit a huge hassle. Enjoy the paperwork you'll be filling out for the next 2 months...

thecubreporter said:

on another much smaller note, I have a few Chase credit cards and they just sent me a 0% balance transfer offer in the mail that I was going to take advantage of. I cashed the check into my account and then had it returned, charged $10 by Chase bank where I have my checking now because they took over Washington Mutual and then got a letter saying they're closing that credit card account because I have too many accounts.

You losers sent me the offer, but thanks for costing me $10.

Tab said:

I read the headline and was thrilled to see someone say it "out loud," but then I read your story and was pissed on your behalf. Chase it too big for their own good, but so are all of the top 10 banks. Was the customer service rep you talked to at least in this country? LOL

AndCounting said:

Are there really 10 banks? I thought it was just 3 and they used a bunch of aliases.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

You should consider the communist alternative - credit unions. My mommy taught me that lesson long ago.

MillsChC said:

That sucks.

Was it stolen while at Rockit? I've never been in there, but have heard that it's frequented (and managed/owned) by "less than reputable" individuals.

baturkey said:

I'm sorry, Julie. That really sucks.

Chasse Rehwinkel said:

Ah man, that's terrible. Chase is really giving Chases (Chasses) everywhere a bad name.

AndCounting said:

Yeah. Chase sucks. I got a late charge and a bumped up credit rate because my payment was 2 minutes late. Seriously. Two minutes. I paid from my Chase checking to my Chase credit, and they said that 3:02 in the afternoon was too late for them to transfer the money on the same business day without a $20 service fee.

But telling them to drop dead is useless . . . they are soulless undead zombies.

Dennis Byrne said:

My sympathies for this screwing over. The bailout should never have happened in the first place. Thanks to all the taxpayer money, they could go their merry way, giving out huge bonuses and screwing their customers like this. We keep hearing that we had to do this or else we all would have been sucked into some black hole. Bull shit. If Chase like other companies had to please their customers to stay in business, things like this never would have happened. That's what we get for thinking that government can and should come to the rescue for all our problems.

Edelweiss said:

It used to be that big money could screw people because no one would know but you and them. I'm certainly sorry it happened to you, but, since it did, I am glad that you have a way of letting the public know what happened. Maybe next time they will be more user friendly. Customer service people should treat everyone as though he or she might have a public forum.

I had a credit card from Chase that I carried a balance (not a huge one, but still) on. I always paid well over theminimum, and always on time. When I got the card, there was an incentive that when you paid on time and over the minimum, your interest rate would decrease incrementally. My rate went all the way down to 8%.

Then I got a letter in the mail saying that, because I am too good at making my payments Chase doesn't make enough money on my account, so they were unilaterally doubling my interest rate. I could either accept it or close the account.

I closed the account.

Matt said:

This happened to me this year, and we paid off the card with a loan from a family member. Our card was a Chase card too! I didn't even think about that...TWO Chase butt-rapes in our lifetime! See my story below...

I literally can't find a single new thing Cubs-related today. Also, I'm still pissed at Chase, so this is staying up.

AndCounting said:

It's the most welcome FU that's ever greeted me on a Saturday, so I'm not complaining.

I should apologize for my potty mouth, but I was really angry last night. Still am.

Jake said:

That blows. It's stories like this that make me happy I've stuck with a local bank.

If anyone has a recommendation for a good local bank, I'm all ears.

kroeg49 said:

Sorry to hear about your negative banking experience.

I received my wake-up call when Bank of America changed my "LOCKED-IN" 9.9% rate to a variable 14.25%. I've been a long time customer of theirs with my my checking, savings, credit card and mortgage through Bank of America. I called and protested after finding the interest rate change on my credit card statement. The customer service bitch told me they sent out a memo telling me about the impending change and I missed the deadline to opt-out of the increase. I advised her I didn't receive the memo. It came on deft ears and she said, "it was sent." After several back and fourths, nothing was done to satisfy the customer (me).

I wrote to the Arizona Attorney General, who transferred my complaint to their Consumer Protection Advocacy Section. I haven't heard a thing for the past three weeks. Everybody is in bed with big business, and now with the recent Supreme Court Ruling allowing unlimited campaign donations from corporations, we're fucked.

Nobody is going to do a thing to these mega-corporations. Especially after that court ruling. I'm going to try to do by banking with a local community bank, that is if I can find one..!

berselius said:

I'm always skeptical of those opt-out things. What happens if you say no? Do they close the account?

Max Power said:

That's the thing now. With the new credit card regulations going into effect on February 1 (primarily the fact that card issuers will now have to give a lot more, or any, notice of rate changes), a lot of card issuers (e.g., Chase, Citi) changed formerly fixed-rate cards to variable rates, and the cardholders had the option to opt-out, which would leave your rate at the old fixed rates, but your card is closed (no new charges). Doesn't sound unfair....unless you realize that Chase and Citi (others also, but these two were prolific in their changes) were making these changes to virtually all of their customers, regardless of credit rating, payment history, or credit usage.

Opting out can save you money, but then you close an account you might have had open for a long time, and then open a new one. That can have a deletorious effect on your credit rating, so a lot of folks just leave it as is.

jtbwriter said:

My sympathies from sunny and cold So Cal.....

As a victim of ID theft-please notify all 3 credit report co's, file a police report, notify your utilities and follow through with the Attorney General as Chase has violated not only state but federal law here. I'm going to call Chase too, as I just got a soliciation from them...and let them have it. I was violated with 40,000 other poor souls by employees of Certegy (check/credit card verifiers) 2 years ago and I am still without a bank account.. Hope 49 is wrong and Ill is better at this....

UGH--that completey sucks.

If I can convince one other person to move their money out of one of these bloated, arrogant, criminal institutions and into a small bank, it will all have been worth it.

Edelweiss said:

Only one problem with that.....The small banks are getting bought out by the big ones. You could move your account to a small bank, and next week it could be taken over by Chase.

bannerman987 said:

exactly...I have 2 Chase credit cards, and neither started that way (Providian > WaMu > Chase and First Chicago > BankOne > Chase) You never know.

reedy9er said:

That's bullshit. What is the point of having customer service and a security statement? They may as well fire all of their customer service people because they dont do anything. Sorry about your luck - Shame on your worthless bank.

PaulH said:

As short as possible. I have a Chase ATM, mortgage and Home Equity loans. I paid off the H/E account $32,000. 8 year loan in less than 5 years, only owe $37,000. on the original $72,000. mortgage loan that I've had for almost 6 years. I pay my bills on time all the time. My ex wife had a problems with another major asshole Kohl's. They couldn't get the money from HER as a result of her card being stolen, so they began hounding me. Not my account - hers, divorced for 6 years and the charges in question occured 3 1/2 years after the divorce - and the bastards DID turn it over to a collections firm to, as promised, 'F' up my perfect credit rating. As a result of the nice Kohls people, I wanted to refinance my home at a lower rate, but CHASE refused based on this bogus Kohl's B.S. So, I continue to send them every penny I can to get rid of the bastards a.s.a.p. In the meantime, the Kohls crap was corrected and my Kohls card was shredded and mailed back to them. You can't win with these assholes. Good luck Julie, be as persistant as I was.

Matt said:

Now hear this: Chase STOLE, I repeat, STOLE $1500-$2000 from my wife 5 years ago, before we were married. She created a checking and savings account with a local Chase branch here in Dallas and deposited around $500 into her savings account at the ATM each month. She didn't save the her deposit slips, and rarely checked her online banking (I took over the finances when we got married!) and when she asked to check the balance of her savings one month, she was told SHE DIDN'T HAVE A SAVINGS ACCOUNT. So when she asked where her deposits had gone, they told her they had no idea. Needless to say after we had met with the bank manager he told us the representative that had opened her accounts had since "left" the branch. He also told us since we hadn't saved our receipts, he wouldn't help us. I told him to offer us something, anything, even a $100 to open a new account. He told us no. I told him to go fuck himself right there and we walked out. I have told that story to every person I know. I'm sorry to hear your story, but I can't say it surprises me.

that is an amazing story and, given my experience with chase, one i have absolutely no doubt about. sorry for your troubles. god i hate that fucking bank almost as much as bank of america.

the fact that i have accounts with both KILLS me.

Phineas said:

that is horrible. I actually had my wallet jacked before but chase stepped up quickly...everything was square within 48 hours. Hopefully they'll take care of you sooner. If they don't, I would definitely bail on them.

Hope it all works out....

FrankS said:

Take Carl's advice and join a credit union. As a member, you are an owner. You have the right to attend board meetings and even run for the board.

zemzem said:

Hi Julie, I, like you have similar horor stories with BofA(i wonder if the A stands for Assholes) and Wachovia. I could bore you with the details but lets just say I closed all my accounts with both. I now use a company called Netspend, Online banking. This company is amazing. If I don't have the money on my debt card, they don't let the charge go through. No overdrafts! They also offer a 5% savings account. This company remembers what the big boys forgot a long time ago, ethical behavior and treating people right. Well, I hope all works out for you and GO CUBS!

Florida Jim said:

Is it necessary to use foul language to attract readers? Shame on you! Your mother will wash your mouth with soap when you get home.

To attract readers? No. As an adult who wishes to use such words to express frustration, anger, rage? Yes.

As for my mother: where do you think I learned foul language?

mikekydd said:

Why such anger at Chase in this situation? Is there anything they are not reimbursing? There are plenty of reasons to hate the people who run banks, but is this really one of them?

a) try going a week without access to your bank account when your bank has promised you it would only be 24 hours, and b) i have no idea if they're reimbursing everything, I get a different answer from every person I talk to.

In addition, it appears that Chase has now re-ordered my account to make it look like charges I made before my card was stolen were made after, thus incurring NSF charges for things I bought before my card was stolen. When I pointed out to them that a) I made those purchases when there was still several thousand dollars in my account and b) i couldn't have made those purchases without my debit card (which was later stolen), they just kind of shrugged and told me i was mistaken.

EnricoPallazzo said:

i got my wallet stolen on dec. 27th. my checking acct. was totally cleaned out. i just got access to cash on friday. that is FOUR WEEKS in which i was comletely penniless!!! i had to borrow money from people. it was absurd.

in retrospect, i should have opened a new account somewhere else so that my direct deposit paychecks had somewhere to go and i would have had access to money but i never in a million years thought that this would take 4 years to resolve...btw it was at national city bank which i guess is now (or soon to be?) PNC bank. i probably spent an average of one hour on the phone every day for 4 weeks...completely ridiculous.

I think a good solution is for you to deposit your money into my bank account.

spiney said:

I started with NBD which was bought by First Chicago which was bought by BankOne whicah was bought by Chase.

They are too big. They do not care. I signed up for a Chase credit card, I transferred some higher interest rate cards onto the Chase card. I miscalculated the 1st month's interest and viola my low rate card turned into a 24.99% interest card. All because the monthly interest charge put me $1.27 over my limit. It took me 6 phone calls and 4 levels of hell to find someone that could understand how 4.99% should not jump to 24.99% because their monthly interest put me over the limit. Right now i'm in the middle of closing a safety deposit box with Chase and they're trying to screw me there, too.

money, money, money s'all they care about. Like they can't afford to help you out! bastardos

John Pseudonym said:

You are my hero.

cubby23(eric) said:

Sorry to read of your banking nightmare Julie. I won't bore you with a long story, but I know of a relative that was equally screwed by your bank just recently. It's sad that these banks who were bailed out are doing less and less for customers.

Taint Boil said:

The Banksters get what they deserve. They have their business model and we have ours. Check out this guy who has a business model that (finally) worked for the little guy.