Cubsapalooza!!!

cubsfans.jpg

The 2010 Cubs Convention is finally upon us, which means that, after this weekend, the longest part of the off-season is behind us and we begin coasting downhill until pitchers and catchers report in 33 days.

Before I get to a rundown of this weekend's event, I would be remiss if I didn't share this little bit of hilarity that ensued in Utah:

The Salt Lake Tribune reports: A Nevada man is accused of posing as a Cubs outfielder Tyler Colvin to steal a car.

Matthew T. Van Meter, 24, is charged in Utah state court with felony counts of theft and forgery. Charging papers accuse Van Meter, of Elko., Nev., of using the name and documents identifying him as Colvin.

Colvin is a 24-year-old Georgia native who appeared in just six games with the Cubs last season but is regarded as one of the team's top prospects. It was not clear Thursday night whether Van Meter had any legitimate connection to Colvin.

I dont know if Tyler Colvin is going to be at Cubs Con, but I really hope he is so I can stand in line for an hour to tell him that I think he's a terrible influence on kids and should be ashamed of himself. Cubs Con is fun.

For all of those who subscribed to the "clubhouse cancer" and "addition by subtraction" theory of why the Cubs needed to trade Milton Bradley, Big Z has some revelations that might surprise you:

Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano says controversial outfielder Milton Bradley wasn't a clubhouse problem last season for the Cubs, but should have been more careful in his dealings with the media.

Speaking Thursday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on WMVP-AM 1000, Zambrano defended Bradley, who was traded to Seattle last month for pitcher Carlos Silva.

"For me, he was good in the clubhouse," Zambrano said. "He was a little moody ... sometimes a little strange, but he was good.

"Sometimes the only bad problem for me was he talked to the media and said things he didn't have to say, sometimes like me. I wish him good luck in Seattle and hopefully he can do good."

Ahem. Why did we replace Bradley with Marlon Byrd again?

For those of us sick to death of arguing about Mark McGwire and the steroids controversy, leave it to Mark Grace to put everything in perspective:

Grace appeared on the Dan Patrick radio show Thursday (to be air late night on WSCR-AM 670), calling Mark McGwire's excuse that he used steroids to recover from injury "baloney" and saying he doubted his former teammate Sammy Sosa would come clean. He also explained why he was never tempted to juice.

"I am a single guy now and I was a single guy then and I like my sex life," Grace said. "I want to be able to perform. It's kinda funny but it's not. That stuff will tear you up as far as your manhood's concerned."

Never one to downplay his reputation as a bachelor who enjoyed the night life during his 13 years with the Cubs, Grace embraced his role as a singles and doubles hitter who hit 173 career home runs during the steroid era.

"I did a lot of things that weren't real good for my body but steroids was not one of them," he said.

I adore you, Mark Grace. Don't ever change.

Let's see . . .  what else? Blah, blah, blah . . . Cubs are probably moving Spring Training to Florida . .  blah blah blah . . . Randy Wells like playing in the majors. . . blah blah blah . . . Rudy Jaramillio expects to teach hitters to hit. . .  okay. . .on to the weekend!

LOHO's Cubs Con celebration will kick off tonight at 7:30 pm as we try to find a place to huddle together in what promises to be an unbelievably packed Kitty O'Shea's. I'm going to be carrying a big foam "thumbs up" so that people can find us. Details here.  So far, flyball, baturkey, Aisle424, and CubsinHaiku are planning to joing me.

Then, Saturday morning, Alex Quigley and I will be on WGN radio starting at 9:30 am. Last time I was on, I called Cubs fans "stupid." Tune in to find out if I can find a new and exotic way to insult the fanbase this time!

Then it will be back to Cubs Con for a full day of running around and acting like a general idiot. The schedule of events is here.

And then, AND THEN, if you still haven't had enough of cuddling with Cubs fans after the weekend is over, you can join me at Rockit Wrigley next Thursday night at 9:00 pm for Cubs-Aholic Thursdays. Good food, great fans, and a whole bunch of delicious, delicious booze.

And then I'm coming home to sleep for a week and wait for Spring Training to start.

Happy weekend, everyone!

DustyBaylor said:

Hmm..would you say that the average Cub fan is easily distracted by shiny objects?

Clearly. Especially in the winter.

I can't wait to ask Jim Hendry how replacing Milton Bradley and Rich Harden with Marlon Byrd and Carlos Silva possibly helps this team.

jmkobus said:

For my first comment Julie, I will request that you should do some live blogging during the convention! I love your writing and I am a sad panda that I cant go especially since I will be only like 2 hours away :(.

I will have my laptop and I promise to blog!

We are also really, really sad that won't be there, but happy to see you posting here!

I'm missing the tweetup...so have a couple dozen drinks for me. I can tell you one thing, the itch to move back to Chicago is nearing an all time high right now. If anyone knows of a software engineering opening anywhere in the Chicago area, let me know.

FrankS said:

Uh, check Craigslist, the Usenet chi.jobs newsgroup, plus CareerBuilder, Monster and Indeed.

Yeah...that's all the usual stuff, haven't found anything that particularly interests me at this point. I haven't really found a job the offers the flexibility and security that I currently have. That's important to me. Any new job would have to put up with me going to Cubs games during the summer. :)

plamorte said:

So I'm thinking I might be able to come tonight, MAYBE. I won tickets for a show at JBTV studios, starts at 5:45, no idea when it ends. But if we remember the previously stated dinner to support MS at Chili's, I may have to go to that after JBTV, so we shall see.

I'm going to stand at the window of Kitty O'Shea's, my hands clasped together in anticipation, waiting for your arrival.

DustyBaylor said:

Well...Marlon Byrd will...uuuh....he'll....not throw the ball in the stands?
I dunno if it makes the Cubs better by the fact the Bradley stunk last season, but that's really damning with faint praise.
Silva is a turd. I just hope he doesn't lose too many games.

I hope he doesn't make the team.

I just want the Cubs to DL him in late March, and he never shows his head in that Cub dugout.

DustyBaylor said:

Agreed, but I don't think the Cubs will flush the $$ they owe him without wringing any usefulness out of him, however little it may be.

--MGb said:

Ok, first of all, we're taking Carlos Zambrano's word that Milton Bradley was an ok guy? Wonderful. The crazy guy didn't mind having the crazier guy around. You wanna know how Milt was? Get Derrek Lee drunk, then ask him.

Second of all, if I had to describe my car as "a little moody ... sometimes a little strange, but ...good." I'd be shopping for a new car.

--MGb said:

Even if it meant going from a Lexus to a Camry.

MN Pat said:

God bless Mark Grace.

Have some drinks for me. I'll be here in Minnesota bemoaning the fact that I'm forced to cheer for the Cowboys this weekend.

I love how Mark doesn't say "it was cheating" or "i knew it was wrong" or whatever. He's just like "yeah, i was worried about my junk."

i will be rooting for the cowboys like i have never rooted for anyone this weekend.

FrankS said:

Grace is a fucking assclown. I thought he had finally grown up enough to be a family man, but I guess he flushed that down the toilet too.

Who cares? Why does everyone have to be a family man? He wants to drink and fuck his life away, what's it to anyone else? I'm happy for him.

Not only that, he was talking about his attitude back when he was a player.

But I agree, who cares? Family life isn't for everyone.

FrankS said:

Except the jackass started a family and has apparently dumped it so he can go back to being a carefree fuck them and leave them jaggerass.

And maybe if that cigarette smoking and beer swilling idiot hadn't led half the Cub team out to Rush Street every night, maybe the Cubs of the 90's would have fucking won something. Or maybe if the asshole would have been as interested in lifting weights and being physically fit for baseball instead of having a passion for fucking ugly women whenever he slumped, maybe he would have hit more than 172 lameass homers in his career.

If you have fond memories of Mark fucking Grace, then you deserve to have losing Cub teams. The guys that did 'roids were trying to be the best baseball players that they could be. All Mark Grace was ever interested in was having a good time. I find his behavior more objectionable than the steroid users.

Anyway, I guess you guys missed the part where he stated that he was single again.

Dude, he hit around .300 every season. I hardly think the problems with the Cubs in the 90s was Mark Grace.

plamorte said:

Icing on the cake: hit leader of the 90's

jarowcliffe said:

You obviously did not watch Cubs baseball in the 90's if you think Grace taking the players drinking was what held them back...you idiot

The guys doing roids were trying to get paid and thats it...they didnt care about anything else...they didnt do it for the team it was all individual glory.

Grace didnt try to hit homers he tried to hit doubles and get on base which is what the team needed him to do.

Seriously.

oog of ulams said:

Plenty of room in a sport like baseball for individual glory, which - believe it or not - contributes toward winning. Far more than drunken fornication at the very least.

We'll never be on the same page. As an alcoholic with no morals, I see no problems at all with Mark Grace.

As a player, he was overrated. As a person, well, I don't rate people.

People also frequently refer to me as strange and moody! I'm just like Milton.

Let's trade you to Seattle.

I would *love* that.

Edelweiss said:

Do you look anything like your logo? I didn't see you at the Convention.

DustyBaylor said:

Lol...maybe we could've traded him to Oakland and got Wuertz back?

Whatever you do, Julie, just don't call anyone fat. And no simpsons references.

But I "ALWAYS" make Simpsons references. . .

Edelweiss said:

And, please don't tell any of the players he looks all grownup in a suit. That was so funny what Piniella said.

DustyBaylor said:

And no donut references....lol

I don't know why, but it bothers me that the team wants to move ST to Florida.

AndCounting said:

Because, unlike some of the other patently stupid decisions the organization makes, this one doesn't even have a prayer of making the team better?

It won't make the team worse...the arguments to stay in Mesa have been a bit biased. I really don't care one way or another, but I honestly believe that there are pluses for moving to Florida...there are negatives too. And Mesa does have some down sides as well.

spiney said:

because it breaks with tradition. And I believe fans of the Cubs are for the most part interested in tradition.

It would be a stupid move on the Cubs part. There are a lot of ex-Chicagoans in AZ. They go to the Cubs games there so they can have something to talk about on the phone/internets w/ folks back home. Or they take out of towners to the games.

If they don't have Cubs spring training games to attend, they'll may choose to go to White Sox games instead. Just what the Cubs want, the possibility of more Sox fans being created. Whether the Cubs remember it or not - it's all about the fan base.

I don't care about tradition. I want them to do away with Wrigley.

spiney said:

I'm with you there. I don't think they should tear it down, just move somewhere else.

But I think you'll agree that most baseball fans are believers in tradition.

Even if you and your four-legged, noseless, phallic creature (that I like and all, don't get me wrong) are not.

LostinFla said:

The Cubs have been losers for 101 years and counting. Whatever traditions that are a part of the Cub mystique, including training in Arizona, are losing ones. Time to change up.

Now, with that said, moving to Naples just seems silly (and it would be a benefit to me since I actually might get to see some ST games). Nothing about the move, except for the fact that the Cubs are trying to make out like a bandit financially, makes sense: bad weather, bad location in Florida, increased within-state travel times for games, moving into a state that is about bankrupt. Sounds like pure win...

You just hit the nail on the head. It's Florida. Florida is one of the shittiest states in this country. THAT'S why I don't like it.

Any state that has its own tag on Fark doesn't deserve my fandom!

Mesa is one of the shittiest suburbs of Pheonix.

Naples is way nicer of a community (in my opinion).

But I'm not putting support one way or another...I want the best spring training facility possible.

Naples may be great. But it is in Florida.

I actually like that side of Florida...the east coast and central florida, not so much.

Edelweiss said:

There are a lot of Cubs fans on Marco Island, and lots of Europeans own homes there.

LostinFla said:

Well, if nicer means richer, then that's certainly true. Naples is populated by those who are very wealthy and those who are very, very poor (and they live on the other side of the tracks, literally).

A very staid, very conservative city with a Euro-bent (it was one of few places in the South, about 10 years ago, that you could actually get an Italian language paper.) If any of this helps the Cubs, well, great!

I'm heading out to Cubs Con--I'll be tweeting all weekend! Follow me @aleagueofherown

Later, gators!

Bude said:

Another lost summer! That will make 103 of them.

Bude said:

Last week I hanging with Tommy Ricketts at the club. I suggested that the he double the ticket prices so as to weed out the riff-raff. My friends and I really don't care to be stuck sitting with that type of people. They can watch the games on TV or follow the Sox.