Cubs Tuesday Headlines: 29 Days and Counting!

dye.jpg

Good morning, Cubs fans! We are now officially under a month until pitchers and catchers report!

That's it for your good news this morning---now onto the headlines. (I swear to God you guys, I can't thnk of anything but Geo's eyebrows every time I try to do the headlines these days).

The Jermaine-Dye-To-The-Cubs -As-A-Backup rumors of reared their ugly, ugly head again, but whether said rumors are attributable to Uncle Phil's dog or some more nefarious source has yet to be determined (mostly because I'm way too lazy to look it up this morning). This, of course, all begs the question: Backup WHAT?

With precious little Cubs news out there this morning (do you all want to hear about how White Sox bashing was considered, as the French say, "chic" at Cubs Con this year?), and since most of you don't follow me on Twitter (ahem) I've decided to do my own personal recap of Cubs Con, consisting mainly of my tweets from said. .  . Con. Here we go:

Satuday morning, after my stint on WGN radio with Alex Quigley (which you can listen to here), I headed over to the "Meet the Management" session, where Tim McGinnis from Tales from Aisle 424 was saving me a seat.  The following are the tweets I sent from said session, in chronological order.

Dunh-dunh!

(That was the "Law & Order" sound effect)

• Lou: Marlin Byrd to play every day.
  • Hendry: We let Harden go for 'lots of reasons'
  • Lou thought Soto would lose 10-15 pounds, now thinks he looks like 'a jockey.' But he means that in a GOOD way.
  • #Cubs fans now bemoaning loss of Jake Fox #facepalm (@Aisle424 and I are laughing)
  • Bob Sirott wants #Cubs to pay for Z to get a psychiatrist.
  • Lou: Byrd most likely to hit 5th. #facepalm
  • Lou: Theriot stole 20 bases! (Me to @Aisle424: "In 60 attempts.")
  • 2-Year old walks in in Cubs gear. Me: that's the cutest thing EVER. @Aisle424: that's sam fuld. #hee
  •  Hendry getting defensive about our farm system sucking. LOL
  • Lou: "Your hands and wrists are so important because that's what you hit with." So true.
  • Little boy at the mic: "Jim, what was the deal. . .  with . .  Kevin. . .  Gregg?
  • Dear Lady At The Mic: Jake Fox was not a 'young prospect.'
  • Guy at mic: 'Jim, did you think Milton could change and NOT be a nutcase here?'
  • Lou: Lilly waited to have 'minor surgery' because surgeon wasn't available earlier.
  • Bob Sirott is extremely cranky this morning and taking it out on the fans.

From there, it was on to wander abot Cubs Con with my new bff, the fabulous @ataccini (and if you aren't following her on Twitter, you really should be. She delivers Cubs snark at it's finest). I tweeted the following:

• waiting for Ryno w/ @ataccini
    • Jeff Baker and John Grabow to talk about 'The Essence of Being a Cub' #CubsConFail 11:59 AM Jan 16th from mobile web

Exciting stuff, no? But wait! It got even better as we moved on to "Leaders of the Pack," which consisted of the coaching staff barely tolerating Cubs fans asking them inane questions:

•  Watching the coaching staff w/ @ataccini
    • 'kids only' schedule: colvin, fuld, hill, baker, wells, berg #thekidsaregettingscrewed
    • Larry Rothschild's hair is spectacular.
    • Lou holding on to the 'we were injured' card like grim death.
    • Questions from the audience? uuuhhhhh, this is always death . . . #CubsCon
    •  Rudy Jaramillo sounds disconcertingly like GW Bush.
    • Lou says Lilly to only miss the first couple of weeks of the season. #CubsCon
    • Lou talking about REEDZ like he's still on the team.
    •  Why must the entire fan base be represented by the people who get up and ask the stupidest questions? #CubsCon
    •  I love how all these fans feel compelled to tell Lou all about themselves. #CubsCon
    • I want to ask if Sinatro got demoted because he couldn't keep Theriot from running.
    • Aaron Miles in his list of player injuries that cost the #Cubs. #Loufail
    •  I think we can safely assume that Rothschild hates #Cubs fans. I wish you guys could see his face listening to these asinine questions.
    • I sooooo want to take a photo of the mullet behind me. #CubsCon
    • 'This question is for Matt and Eye-van (Ivan DeJesus)' #CubsConFail
    • I watch Dirty Jobs solely for Mike Rowe.
    • @Aisle424 I have found your hat.
    • @Aisle424 Picture this: wicker safari hat, solar panel fueling fan aimed at your forehead, and your name stiched in rainbow across the back

This basically sums up Cubs Con for me: Listening to the worst of the fan base ask embarrassing questions (almost always proceeded by a 5-minute intro wherein they give everyone their Cubs street cred), dreaming of Mike Rowe, and designing hats in my head.

If you want to hear about more hilarious hijinks from Cubs Con, take a listen to Julie & Alex's Excellent Sports Adventure, featuring Tim from Tales from Aisle 424. It would recommend it as "good stuff," but the truth is I couldn't stop laughing long enough to really . . . you know. . . talk.

Finally, don't forget to head out to Rockit Wrigley this Thursday night at 9:00, where I'll be hanging out and talking Cubs baseball. See you there!

and I almost went to both of those, thanks for summing it all up

David Funk said:

Thanks Julie for summing this up. I've yet to attend one of the Cubs Con, and it's good to see the stories that come out of this. It sounds too much like a daytime soap opera of sorts.

Great stuff as always!

Thanks for making me read your twitter feed.

I'm bored. Entertain me.

I got nothing today, you should entertain me

Seriously, Doc. That's your job.

AndCounting said:

Started working on a post about clubhouse chemistry, and I came across this article that is billed as being about McGwire, but its true value is what it says about Andre Dawson and Tim Raines. For what it's worth:

That's good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Finally back from court.

What did I miss?

Oh, it looks like nothing.

You missed me complaining about being forced to read your twitter feed.

I've decided that I'm going to just delete mine. It is stupid and I don't like it, anyway.

I'm bummed somebody has my name

baturkey said:

Same here, @jeffliu is not me.

And yet I've been following him for months. . .

its the post convention pre spring training crappy weather too many holiday bills classes starting blues

I want another cupcake, that would make things better

ataccini said:

Thanks for the shoutout, Julie--we did manage to have a great time in spite of fan soliloquies, didn't we?

Seriously people, who's not following @aleagueofherown?? (And as long as you're now going over to Twitter to correct that ridiculous oversight, I'm @ataccini.)

Twitter is a hemorrhoid on the internet's ass.

Will you shut up already?

If you don't like it, don't participate.

It isn't that simple. It is shoved down our throats. For example, why do news articles quote twitter feeds. That is re-god-damn-diculous.

AndCounting said:

Newness is kind of important to the whole news business. Hence the name. News. Twitter brings updates in real-time and spreads faster through the various interfaces that demand the attentions of twitter users, it has become the single most expedient news medium in the world. Reporters can transmit news from their phones the moment they hear it, bypassing editors and any online submission procedures that would otherwise slow them down. News sources quote them because the updates are not only immediately available for them, they're also conveniently succinct and to the point (a phrasing that was neither succinct nor to the point, but I enjoyed the digression nonetheless, so there).

Twitter is words. If quoting them is ridiculous, then I don't want to be iculous.

AndCounting said:

There are so many grammatical errors and omissions in that post, I wish I were had never be born.

I know. "iculous"? What hell?

AndCounting said:

Fkin A.

I didn't really focus what I was saying very well. I'm saying that when some celebrity posts some random thought on Twitter, it becomes a news article. THIS is ridiculous.

The other thing is, while it is seriously awesome to have absolutely instantaneous information available (believe me, I love that concept), quoting such as a news source is something I am unsure about, because you cannot validate or confirm whatever is being posted. Someone can twat that they saw something, but maybe they are lying or mistaken. But a news article can run with these unverifiable observations as news.

On the other hand, I do appreciate the role these things have played in news, such as in Iran and Haiti.

AndCounting said:

Ah, yeah. Celebrity. Part of that is just the nature of celebrity in general, but the perceived intimacy of Twitter (which is grossly overrated) really changes the game, and it's mostly ugly and ridiculous indeed. Twitter exposes some celebs as the mundane lumps they really are, but for the most part celebs exploit Twitter for the manipulative tool that it is.

I see your point, though, when Twitter becomes the default resource for reporters. Why chase down an actual interview when you can turn 120 characters into a 1,000-word story? Tweets and twats are valuable for their immediacy, but that should never be mistaken for permanence or substance.

That's all I'm saying.

Also. I just... hate it.

AndCounting said:

It's not for everyone. It's kind of like a dinner party in that everyone is listening, so there's this forced cultural expectation for everyone to be nice. I like being nice just fine, but I enjoy a good rant every now and then, too. But ranting can ruffle feathers real fast on Twitter, which makes meaningful discussion difficult overall. I can see how that aspect alone would drive someone away, and I'm sure there are other drawbacks.

plamorte said:

did someone say rant? Follow @RotoRant

plamorte said:

You obviously missed the point...

plamorte said:

So, in case we weren't clear, THIS is why I don't like Twitter.

plamorte said:

Ok done being an a-hole. I

I think celeb tweeters are obnoxious also. So I don't follow them.

plamorte said:

Roids? Follow @hemorrhoidscure on Twitter.

Cubs avoid arbitration with Fontenot ($1M), Baker ($975k), Angel Guzman ($825k), Koyie Hill ($700k) and Tom Gorzelanny ($800k).

Marmol, Theriot, and Marshall could be headed to arbitration. I would LOVE to be in that room when the Cubs bring up the fact that Theriot gets thrown out stealing twice a game, every game.

IIRC, Hendry has never gone to arbitration, and I don't see any reason for that to change. Though, I agree about Theriot. But the arbiters probably love scrappy white guys, so...

Northside Neuman said:

Just one more reason why Theriot makes a horrible lead off hitter..

Thanks to the fantastic @ari_bo_bari, who is keeping us updated with regards to Ben Sheets throwing session today. So far, he's topped out at 91.

That's not bad.

The curveball was in the 60's and 70's.

With about a month and a half of spring training, Sheets will be at full power!

SIGN HIM!!!!

millertime said:

How are you so excited about signing Sheets, but were so anti-signing Harden? Sheets won't be that much cheaper than Harden, especially with teams like the Yankees or Red Sox having money to throw at him and take a chance.

the Red Sox are throwing money at Sheets? really? I think that would be weird

Well, if you insist on changing the subject...

The article I read about Dye said that he'd probably get plenty of playing time, because one of the three outfielders is bound to suck or get injured. Also, he'd be backing up Derek Lee. That's not a bad idea, seeing as he is also likely to suck or get injured. Since he plays for the Cubs.

We had the argument here before, but I'd rather have a superior hitter than someone who is a "proven" pinch hitter, whatever that even means.

The problem is that Dye contributes to the problem that they have absolutely no left handed hitters...

Signing Dye means Hoffpauir is gone, and if Hoffpauir is gone, all that leaves is Fontenot and Hill on the bench to bat left handed...unless the Cubs plan to use Z as a pinch hitter this year.

millertime said:

We had a great left-handed hitter last season. But he struggled early last season, was unlucky, and was horrible with the media/fan relations, so a lot of fans quite loudly mentioned how they wanted him gone, so Jim Hendry traded him.

I love how that is written as if he is on the team

thanks for the heart attack gd

Doing my best.

MLB Network says:

"Sheets threw about 55 pitches today. Consensus is he looked pretty good. Told me he feels great. Only 4th time he's thrown off mound."

AndCounting said:

So if the scouting report on Sheets is that he starts the regular season at 100% (not saying that's the report, but for the sake of argument) what are the odds the Cubs sign him? Place your bets. I'd put real good money on the Cubs still not signing him.

Both Lou and Jim didn't sound like they were interested at all at Cubs Con. I bet . . NOT.

Looks to me like Sheets should be getting a 4 year $48 million contract offered to him by the Cubs in the next couple days.

Dmband said:

Reading those commments about Sheets just brings back to many bad memories of injured pitchers.

For a while there, we consistently led the leauge in simulated games wins....

I hope he is healthy

millertime said:

Ugh, I work all day, so the only time I can comment on things is at night. After everybody else is gone.

that'll change when the season starts I'm sure

the real world sucks doesn't it

millertime said: