Cubs Sign Xavier Nady

Xavier Nady

Cubs have signed free agent Xavier Nady to be a 4th outfielder. I'm pretty sure he was absolutely the worst of our remaining options. Well, maybe that was Baldelli, but Nady was close.

Chi Trbi Sports:

The Cubs have agreed to sign free-agent outfielder Xavier Nady, pending a physical exam on his surgically repaired right arm, according to multiple sources.

Nady played in only seven games with the Yankees last season before undergoing a second Tommy John surgery. If he has recovered enough to be able to throw, he reportedly will sign a one-year deal worth up to $5 million with incentives.

The Cubs had been looking for a fourth outfielder and were considering former White Sox Jermaine Dye, Jonny Gomes and Reed Johnson, who filled that role before being injured last season.

Nady, 31, hit .305 with 25 homers and 97 RBI in 2008 with the Pirates and Yankees. With left-handed-hitting Kosuke Fukudome in right and newcomer Marlon Byrd in center, Nady could find plenty of playing time.

I love how that says "The Cubs have agreed to sign Xavier Nady," as if his mother was begging us to give him a shot.

As we said yesterday, Nady only had 28 ABs last season before he went down for Tommy John surgery (I had no idea non-pitchers had Tommy John surgery). His career line is: 280/.335/.458/.792.

mikeproper said:

I disagree that he was the worst remaining option. Nady isn't a great defender but he's acceptable in the field. You cannot say the same about Dye or Gomes at all. Plus, Nady can hit both righties and lefties pretty well. Dye and Gomes can really only be used vs. lefties. Finally, Nady can back up 1st base making Micah Hoffpauir pretty expendable.

Yes, his injury history makes him risky, but Dye is just as risky in that regard and he still has more upside overall than either Dye or Gomes.

Yeah, I get that. I guess it's his age plus his surgery last season that makes me say that. I'm just not all that thrilled about this signing, and I'm hoping the Cubs know something about Nady that the rest of the world doesn't.

mikeproper said:

One other thing...

If (and I know this is a big if) Nady comes back healthy and strong, the Cubs can consider signing him to a longer term deal...Soriano and/or Fukudome become expendable.

millertime said:

Ummm, What?

mikeproper said:

Sorry about the double post

eh--we don't care. :P

unless its a triple post, then people just lose it

Teebob2000 said:

Yeah, no kidding!!!

Teebob2000 said:

Yeah, no kidding!!!

Teebob2000 said:

Yeah, no kidding!!!

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

More fun news! From MLBTR:

"The Cardinals have signed free agent lefty Rich Hill, and invited him to Spring Training according to the team's official Twitter feed. The Orioles non-tendered Hill after he posted a 7.80 ERA in 13 starts (and one relief appearance) last season, and he missed the second half after having surgery on his pitching shoulder.

The soon to be 30-year-old has been plagued by extreme control issues since the breakout 2007 season that saw him post a 3.92 ERA with a 8.4 K/9 in 32 starts for the Cubs. He's walked 111 batters in 141.1 innings since then, majors and minors."

plamorte said:

I am the only nerd who immediately thinks of Professor X from X-Men when hearing the name Xavier?

spiney said:

If Reed Johnson had been named Xavier Nady he would've been perfect for what you're thinking. White, bald, able to read minds, etc.

Who would be Magneto, though? Maybe Don Zimmer with the big ol' metal plate in his head?

Actually, I think I'm the only nerd who didn't immediately think of that.

AndCounting said:

It makes me think of Xavier Roberts. That's beyond nerdy, yeah?

you might be, I'm a nerd but thats not the first thing I think of

p.s. I love the name Xavier

baturkey said:

That pic is great.

HoboHanson said:

I guess this is an official goodbye to REEDZ then. Bye REEDZ.

Bye REEDZ.

And bye Hufflepuff.

that would be sad

ChiCubPete said:

I honestly can not see any logic in your opinion. Nady the worst option? Are you going to tell me that Dye who is horrible defensively or gomes would be better? Oh wait, REED. C'mon, admit it, you are just pissed that Reed is not coming back. Reed is just as well a health risk with an even worse problem being a bad back. I liked Reed to, but you can't let your love for the guy blind you. Who should we have signed in your opinion? And if the Cubs front office just signed "hot" guys or good looking ones, this would be a pretty shitty team. I would take Nady over Johnson, Dye, or gomes any day and this is because they basically signed the guy to knock in runs. Of course the gamble is whether he can stay healthy or produce numbers similar to his 2008 campaign. But he is a much better player than you give him credit for, or is he not hot enough? Maybe if we got Derosa we would be assured a WS championship...LOL. And about the whole "heart" or hustle aspect, this guy probably has plenty of it so that is not a viable argument. And Nady is a MUCH better option than Fuld, please don't even argue that Fuld would put up better numbers. Perhaps defensively he would better, but we got Nady for his offense.

Padres just signed ust signed John Garland.

I like "worth up to $5 million with incentives" the part

LostinFla said:

I like the signing, assuming Nady is healthy. He will probably play a lot for the Cubs if he’s not injured. It was only 2 years ago that Nady had 550+ AB’s and 600+ PA’s and finished with a .850 OPS. That will probably be his career year, of course, but he’s been generally solid in both BA and slugging throughout his career.

Danger will be to overexpose him. He should start against every lefty pitcher at some position (where his career splits are much better); against righties, well, hopefully we will have learned something about that from Reed Johnson. Even then, his slugging potential should make that a more palatable option than watching Reed most days.

sparkles said:

I completely agree with your suggestion and like the signing too.

Also, I think he's underrated in the looks department. He's handsome!

Edelweiss said:

There are a lot of men who believe that women and gay men are not real sports fans, but only care how physically attractive a player is. The contributers to this blog can do a lot to dispel that myth. A lot of men with loads of testosterone are not movie star gorgeous, but are great athletes. Real women like them too. Most men described as hotties are actually rather weak and soft.

So, the day I go out to run errands all afternoon, Sheets, Nady, Thome, Hill and Garland all get signed.

It's nature's way of telling me I should never leave my laptop again.

AndCounting said:

I had a similar experience. I think it's just confirmation that a watched pot never boils. I'm not going to check the Internet until October and see if that changes my luck.

Don't forget about Matt Stairs, Brad Ausmus and Ronnie Belliard,

DH bids a fond farewell to REEDZ: http://tinyurl.com/yavu53h

sparkles said:

cubsforever said:

Too much to hope the Cubbies would ALSO sign Reed now. I still am very concerned about 2B and the implications of a utility infielder in a back-up role - and another starter. I will agree that Sheets is too risky for $8 mil but I really like him. I also liked Jon Garland - since he spells his first name the same as me. Heck - we cold have brought back Rich Hill and had a REAL contest with him and Marmol on seeing who could walk the most hitters. I am more comfortable with middle relief than starters and the ranks are really quite thin now for additional help.

Sheets is too risky for $10 million too...lol.

I think everyone should be extremely concerned that Andres Blanco appears to be set as the backup at SS and second base right now. It will probably work as a defensive replacement, but he is right handed and can't hit worth a lick. For me, finding an everyday 2nd baseman or and better lefty platoon option instead of Fontenot should have been a higher priority than finding a 4th outfielder.

But with that being said, there really wasn't any appropriate person that fit that description on the free agent market.

Oh well.