Chicago Cubs Headlines for Thursday

ANDRE DAWSON

In case you missed it, Andre Dawson was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame yesterday. Well, he wasn't elected yesterday, but they announced it yesterday. Asked where he wanted to go after being elected to the HOF, Dawson said, "I'm going to Cubs Con!"

Former Cub Andre Dawson is the only member from this year's list of nominees to gain election to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers Association of America. Dawson was named on 420 of the 539 ballots cast by BBWAA members with at least 10 years of membership in the organization. That was 77.9 percent, with 75 percent needed for election. That figures to 405 votes.

UPDATE: The Cubs just announced that Dawson will be in attendance at next week's Cubs convention at the Chicago Hilton. The convention begins Jan. 15.

There's no word yet on which hat Andre will wear in the HOF, but he has a preference:

The Hall of Fame will meet with Andre Dawson to discuss the issue of which cap he will wear in Cooperstown. Dawson played 11 seasons with the Expos, six with the Cubs. The HOF decides, with the player's input. When asked on Wednesday, Dawson said he was going to enjoy the moment and settle the issue of the cap later.

I covered Dawson in 1987 when he arrived in Chicago. He had his best days with the Cubs. During an interview before Christmas with me, Dawson was asked which cap he'd prefer to wear into Cooperstown.

"I think you know the answer to that," he said, chuckling. "And for a lot of obvious and personal reasons."

Finally, The Heckler provides pure magic, once again.

White Sox TV broadcaster and former player and GM Ken Harrelson today celebrated the election of "Hawk" to the Hall of Fame, failing to realize the Hawk being referenced was not him, but rather Andre Dawson.

"Mercy!" said Harrelson, a career .239 hitter and failed front office executive. "Dadgum right they finally picked me for the Hall. You can put it on the board ... yes!"

Harrelson continued ranting several minutes before being told he was not the Hawk who made the Hall today.

Ha. I hate Hawk Harrelson so much.

If you're going to be in Chicago next weekend, don't forget the Cubs Fans meetup Friday, January 15 at 7:30 pm at Kitty O'Shea's in the Chicago Hilton and Towers. And, if you're going to Cubs Con, we'll also be forming a posse at the "Meet Managment" session Saturday morning.

cubsforever said:

Interesting - two Hawk's in the news - one great one - Mr. Dawson ---- and one jerk - Ken.

I don't understand how a broadcaster can keep his job when he gets pissed off and refused to TALK when his team is losing.

I think its funny that he cant do anything right. Failed as a player, failed as an exec, fails as a broadcaster. Pretty much fails at life.

Fails at a catch phrase that no one understands. Still can't figure out what he wants me to "strap down."

AndCounting said:

You're missing out, trust me.

plamorte said:

So true, I'm mean even smart White Sox fans can acknowledge how crappy he is. But I guess if I'm flipping through and stumble upon a Sox game and don't see a box score, I'll know they're losing by the silence.

hey--hi you!

I used to love it when they were elminated from the playoffs, Hawk would refuse to talk other than in grudging grunts for the rest of the season, and DJ had to try to carry the entire broadcast by himself. Comedy gold.

plamorte said:

If you ever want to know what the post-game show looks like after a ChiSox loss, look no further: http://twitpic.com/x2669

AHHHH!

The photo should come with a warning.

plamorte said:

It's like he's imitating everyday of Lovie Smith's life.

Snuggie. Fire. Hot chocolate. I'm loving the snow.

I'm ready for winter to be over. I like fall best, mostly because I think its the best season for fashion.

I agree. Nothing beats fall outerwear.

Where is everyone today? Stuck in a snowbank?

Its not snowing here, its colder than hell though.

okoboji said:

Not many snow banks left here in Baltimore. Might be messy tomorrow though for the morning drive.

HackWilson09 said:

"Snuggie. Fire. Hot chocolate. I'm loving the snow."

Okay, CubbieJulie -- that is the most unsportsmanlike thing you have ever said.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that this is NOT the most unsportsmanlike thing she's ever said.

I'm far more unsportsmanlike every time Favre takes the field.

Perkins said:

Dawson will go in as an Expo. It's not even close how much better he was there.

smwojoz said:

I think he will as well. I'm not sure how the hall does it, but if it is strictly body of work he'll be in as an Expo. Though I do believe he'd prefer to be in as a Cub. Truly, it doesn't matter what hat he wears, we'll all remember him for his Cub heroics.

Think they'll give any weight to the fact that the team doesn't exist anymore?

And on the fact that when people think of him, they picture him in a Cubs uniform (what did the Expos uniform even look like? I can't remember)?

MB21 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those times where the Hall just uses the team Dawson wants. I think the Expos no longer existing helps the Cubs out. Had the Nationals not un-retired the numbers of retired Expos jerseys, he probably goes in as an Expo.

He should go in as an Expo. Like Perkins said, it's not even close. His 4 best year ('78, '80, '81, '82) were all with the Expos. 1988 was his 5th best season and then a couple other seasons with the Expos before his MVP season in '87.

I wonder how Dawson would be perceived by Cubs fans if the internet was around then like it is today. The fan's knowledge has increased significantly because of the internet. Dawson was a shell of his former self when he was a Cub. Everybody would have recognized that at the time unlike then. It's interesting to think just how much the internet has changed the way we view baseball, because if I put up a player's numbers who were similar to Dawson's, Cubs fans would consider him a role player rather than a superstar. He was a superstar with the Expos and league average with the Cubs. It's too bad those knees went out and he had to move to RF. I can't imagine how good he'd have been if he stayed healthy enough to play CF his whole career. That being said, injuries are part of the game.

Max Power said:

I've thought the same thing many times about how players now undergo a lot more scrutiny than players in the past. While guys like Bill James have spent many years analyzing the game on a detail I find to be equivalent to a second job, more fans have access to this deeper statistical analysis (not always a good thing). Like you say, a lot of players benefitted by being around before the level of general fan knowledge increased.

Perkins said:

I'd actually rather give him the cap of the team that doesn't exist anymore, since it's part of baseball history, but I'm weird like that. Probably part of having a history degree and being interested in really old stuff.

Well *I* like that kind of stuff too, I'm just wondering if the voters would feel that way. But maybe you're right.

But are the Expos really worth remembering? Seriously--no fans, terrible ballpark, and usually a pretty bad team. It's not like remembering the old Washington Sentators or anything.

Like Maddog, I was thinking that, due to the lack of Expos/Expos fans, they might actually defer to Dawson on this one.

clyder1 said:

cubbiejulie I agree with you completely. It's not as though they have a long time history, being an expansion team in '69.

MB21 said:

When the Expos contended early in their franchise they came out far better than Cubs fans did. That's something to keep in mind. Baseball would be wildly successful (and was) in Montreal when management invested in the team. we tend to remember the last few years after Montreal had traded every good player they had and the fans gave up as they should have.

MB21 said:

From 1979 to 1983 the Expos drew nearly 5 million more fans than the Cubs did. They had very loyal fans. They had a lot of them too. The difference between Expos fans and Cubs fans is that the Expos fans weren't going to sit around spending money on the team when they showed little or no interest in winning while Cubs fans love to spend a day at Wrigley Field. I wonder how much more of an advantage the Expos would have had over the Cubs if Wrigley didn't exist.

Drew said:

Hawk should have BOTH caps on his plaque. It's stupid that they don't let the players do that.

Dmband said:

I heard someone mention today that he stands to make substantially more money from a personal standpoint as a 'Cub' Hof'er...although Im not sure how much difference it makes what hat his wearing.

Also, since there will most likely never be another Expo in, and the franchise doesnt exist, the hall may actually prefer he wear that Expo hat, as its kind of a way to immortalize that franchise.

plamorte said:

If that's the case then let's hope they wait for Tim Raines to make it (i think he eventually does) and let his Expos hat immortalize the franchise. Andre Dawson, Cubs. It just goes better together.

Tim Raines should absolutely be in.

Dmband said:

Also, does anyone know if the Cards signing of Holliday in any way will inhibit their ability to re-sign Pujols at the end of his current contract? Im sure they can restructure, or whatever, but I was wondering what, if any impact that would have as Pujols is likely to command the most lucrative contract in MLB history.

I was wondering that too, especially given his stance recently where he said he had no intention of giving a hometown discount and would wait to figure it all out until the offseason.

AndCounting said:

I highly doubt it. If they need to, they'll promise to pay him $5 million annually for the rest of his life in addition to whatever behemoth salary they give him.

MB21 said:

yeah, exactly. They aren't letting him go. The only way he's not a Cardinal for life is if the Cardinals come in with some lowball offer of 8 years and $200 million. The Cardinals have enough respect for Pujols to not offer him something like that. I figure the Cardinals sign him to a 10-year deal worth $350 million. Funny part is that would be a bargain.

Perkins said:

A firstborn child would be a bargain for Albert Pujols.

okoboji said:

I think the long term signing of Holliday is a sign that they are going to re-sign Pujols. Holliday offers him great protection in the line-up.

Dmband said:

I actually think that the Cards are going to really regret that deal with Holliday. My predicition:

He's out of the lineup by June with a season ending injury.

Now, I do not root for guys to get injured, but it always seems like after a guy signs a long term mutli million dollar deal, either his production drops off the table or he gets hurt.

Of course I have no real numerical justification for this, but Im gonna go with it none-the-less...

HackWilson09 said:

I'm delighted by the Holliday deal. It's almost as bad of a deal as Soriano's as far as the overrated player they're getting and how much they have to pay him for seven years. His talents put him about equal with Aramis -- would you pay that to Aramis?

It's also a clear indicator that Puhols can only be a Yankee in less than two years, because he'll cost more than ARod, if that can be believed, and they have just shifted their investment. Just pray that the Cardinals do not get 4 top prospects for him before he goes to free agency.

With Randy Johnson's retirement, what will he go in as? Probably between the Mariners and DBags, but I think I'd have to say the Mariners.

Perkins said:

That's a really tough call. I'd probably go with Diamondbacks, since his numbers there were so ridiculous.

I think he should go in as a 'Stro. Remember that half season he had there? He went 10-0 or 10-1 and had an ERA close to 1, IIRC.

Umbra said:

10-1, ERA of 1.28. 12.4 K/9, 0.4 HR/9, 2.8 BB/9. Reeeeeeeeeeediculous.

Maim said:

I remember it!

i don't. Randy Johnson was an Astro? Did I sleep through that season?

clyder1 said:

There were very strong rumors about Johnson coming to the Cubs that year, the tribune reported the the major hangup was that the Cubs didn't want to give up a catching prospect (Pat Cline), boy that one hurt.

I swear to God you guys are making this up. I remember exactly NONE of this.

Well, its true. He was dealt to them at the deadline, from the Mariners IIRC. For a couple of pitchers who were decent but not great.

Dmband said:

Didnt he win a series as a d-back..if I were a player, I would want to go in as a member of the team I won a series with...my opinion. That 1-2 combo of Johnson and Schilling was sick. Sick.

Is it time for baseball yet?

kevin said:

41 days till pitchers and catchers

Stevie Ire is retiring.

@CarrieMuskat: Happy retirement to Scott Eyre, or "Steve Ire" as #cubs manager Lou called him. The lefty says he's calling it a career

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I was just going to announce that! Apparently they were offering him a minor league deal, but he wanted to spend more time with the family.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Brownies are delightful.I'd suggest buying the Ghirardelli brownie mix.

I just made white hot chocolate. Omnomnomnom

Faith Plus 1 said:

What the hell happened to your tire burning?!

HackWilson09 said:

Stevie Ire is calling it a career?

Is that what he calls it? That makes one of us.

Oh, to throw with a left arm...